Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tsietisin posted:

Same, but End of Days for me.

poo poo like this is why they went under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I checked the DK wiki and they don't give Donkey Kong III (son of DK jr)'s place of birth so thers nothing contradicting this information.

Modern modern DK is made by retro studios and the current cranky refers to the snes games instead of the arcade so if the fan theories about new Cranky actually being old DK III extrapolating from this new information the current Donkey Kong might be from Texas.

Whats clear though is the entire DK clan are immigrants and conflict between them and italian american/mushroom kingdom born Mario just highlights that both parties fundamentally lack working class solidarity.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also DKC was Rare's baby.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

The golborne link has been axed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/07/rebel-tories-plan-vote-strikes-to-capitalise-on-pms-weakened-position

Perhaps cements Manchester as the end of HS2.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Donkey Kong was deported for saying trans rights, these days.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

If they're going to do lovely business analogies then why not do walmart and undercut the competition with massive central planning and state backed procurement loopholes?

I preferred Catchphrase.

"Touching the job?"
"Stroking the O?"

I've now completed the infuriating Catchphrase viewing experience for you.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it's gewd but it's nat right

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 7, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I preferred Catchphrase.

No ring

Mebh
May 10, 2010

On the subject of NHS privatisation. In most tech jobs it seems private healthcare is now standard here in the UK. I read somewhere that private spending in the UK was pretty much up with the US now per capita. Can't find the source though.

My company gave everyone BUPA with no pre existing conditions disqualification last month. Has anyone else noticed the shift happening too?

It's just not loving possible to wait for the nhs anymore and it sucks, but basically it was becoming my biggest cost per month.

It's also incredibly poo poo. 1k total spending cap for all current chronic conditions. 100 quid excess. No cover for most mental health, diagnosis only not treatment.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

What are they struggling with? He's an oik but enough of the tory party think he's useful to them that they won't get rid of him. Seems simple even from a liberal point of view you would hope.

The bit where the Common Decency Politics they think Keith will provide doesn’t actually work, but if they admitted that then they’d have to admit that their permanent fubpee centrism is a failure of both ambition and imagination and that their constant wailing that this is surely the thing that will topple Boris is masking the fact that they’re both unwilling and unable to argue for a better kind of politics than red Toryism.

Oct 4, 2005

Mebh posted:

On the subject of NHS privatisation. In most tech jobs it seems private healthcare is now standard here in the UK. I read somewhere that private spending in the UK was pretty much up with the US now per capita. Can't find the source though.

My company gave everyone BUPA with no pre existing conditions disqualification last month. Has anyone else noticed the shift happening too?

It's just not loving possible to wait for the nhs anymore and it sucks, but basically it was becoming my biggest cost per month.

It's also incredibly poo poo. 1k total spending cap for all current chronic conditions. 100 quid excess. No cover for most mental health, diagnosis only not treatment.

My company has had it for ages. Its pretty rubbish, no pre existing, mandatory excess, but at least its cheap per year.
Claiming it requires getting a referral from an NHS doctor. I've not had a problem that couldn't be solved just by visiting an NHS doctor thus far, so I've never had a reason to use it.

My partner had a serious op with the NHS last month, it took months of waiting and kept getting cancelled because there were no beds (Covid, innit?)

When it finally happened though they took such good care of her. God knows what it would have cost private, esp with all the follow up appointments. gently caress me, we'd be fools to let them take the NHS away.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Bend over and spread your arsehole on national television, Roy?"

crispix posted:

it's gewd but it's nat right

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

I know 10, 15 years ago centrica had my Dad's knees sorted privately, mostly because if they didn't he'd have been signed off until they were done and the waiting list was over a year. He had the whole consultation & surgery process done in less than 2 months.

Another nurse I worked with in the NHS said how she called orthapedic services in February to try and arrange shoulder surgery, and they were talking about late July. When she said she thought it'd be faster since she was private they immediately offered her a slot in early March.

Two other things I learned working for the NHS:

Firstly, it's usually the same consultants. A lot of the senior consultants in ours were only bookable for one or two NHS slots a day, the rest of it was private work. Most surgery is done on NHS grounds, by NHS consultants, you're just paying to skip the queue and then recover in a nicer room.

Secondly, the NHS does not, on the face of it, have a mechanism to put donations back into buying equipment. This might just have been a bit of rule bending by the pathology department I worked for, but the money we were given from private patients and travel agents sending people to get vacation jabs went into a fund for our xmas bonus / nights out. Not to funding new equipment, not to upgrading the facilities - according to the senior consultant's secretary, there are rules stopping the NHS from making a profit. It wouldn't surprise me. Our trust got a new CEO while I was there and it was all business bullshit about making departments compete with each other to make the NHS more 'dynamic' when all it led to was patients getting bounced around as department after department shrugged and claimed it wasn't their problem.

The NHS was having its back stretched slowly on the rack by Blairite idiocy long ago, but this swingeing new round is designed to break its back so private capital can swoop in and 'save' it. And it's going to be an absolute disaster.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Mebh posted:

Seems to be the case. My local peer group (extremely old men) are all being put on two year waiting lists and just referring themselves directly to instant scans and whatnot through their providers. The people that do the scans etc are the same ones that would have seen them if they'd waited. I should get onto this.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Recently referred by my GP to the community mental health team for possible undiagnosed neuro-behavioural issues. Average waiting time: two years. Lol, indeed lmao.

escapegoat fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 7, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
My something or other relation has gone private for new roboknees and it's already been 6 months and no sign of owt. So going private isn't apparently always a silver bullet. Although perhaps it should be.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
"If the kids are united
They will never be divided. - Sham 69. "

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1533902348908744704?s=20

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What is the plan to fix the cost of living crisis?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6QhAZckY8w

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What is the plan to fix the cost of living crisis?
wururwuurghg biulugicle peenus fur evury wumen

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

There's been a few books like that recently. This one is apparently about The Men by Sandra Newman, where everyone with XY chromosomes disappears and then crime and violence goes way down but then female supremacists start pogroms against trans guys or something, then there's Moths by Jane Hennigan (which I read last year) where a pandemic makes everyone with a 'male immune system' go psycho or die and it comes across very terfy at the start but then swings hard around to "no don't actually let these GC weirdos run your society even if male violence is a thing, medical science is better than ceding society to radfem-coded fascists", and then there's the one you mentioned.

I think in Moths at least Hennigan knows exactly what she's doing because there's a bit where all the surviving males are in prison camps and the enlightened GC leadership gives them JK Rowling books to keep them stupid and pliant lol.

Moths was alright (cheap on Kindle), but why does everything need to be a trilogy these days?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Quite a few private only hospitals around here.

For example I've had a nerve finger numbness issue for a while. NHS had a 2 month wait for the hand clinic. 2 months for tests to come back inconclusive then a referral to the NHS spine clinic... 8 months wait so far.

Paid for private physio and they went "uuuh... You should see a neurologist like... Now" had BUPA cover turn on that week and basically am seeing one in 2 weeks time. All tests covered. Loads of docs in the network nearby.

Its already a shitshow. I cant get appointments with my GP anymore without getting up stupidly early, luck and an autodialler, I'm on 3 waiting lists for over a year and most i know have numerous untreated and undiagnosed conditions because of it.

I got more done with private in 4 days than in 4 years. Its obscene and rage inducing because the doctors are there, and its so obviously intentional.

I didn't realise after talking to a consultant friend with the NHS that when they get a referral, their dept doesn't get paid unless they see the person in an appt and they turn up. So they're disincentivised from quickly solving easy issues by replying to the gp or giving the patient a quick call and the waiting lists grow massively long.

Madness.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

"If the kids are united
They will never be divided. - Sham 69. "

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1533902348908744704?s=20

Load of bollocks, innit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a plan, I just haven't told anyone about it yet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gambrinus posted:

Moths was alright (cheap on Kindle), but why does everything need to be a trilogy these days?
Trilogies are fine as long as they don't do the boring obvious thing and make them have three parts.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

I didn't realise after talking to a consultant friend with the NHS that when they get a referral, their dept doesn't get paid unless they see the person in an appt and they turn up. So they're disincentivised from quickly solving easy issues by replying to the gp or giving the patient a quick call and the waiting lists grow massively long.

Madness.

This is BS.

Easy issues can be solved if the GPs are competent but years of burning down the primary care service have reduced the actual competent workforce down to nearly nothing.

Now you have fresh GPs, overseas imports ans paramedical staff promoted beyond the scope of their ability who have neither the experience nor incentive to act as anything more than a glorified triage service.

So many times a comprehensive response has been sent back only for the person who picks it up in the surgery to go tl:dr and instead send a referral to jam the waiting lists up even more. Or you find that the diagnosis was not even correct in the first instance and now there's a whole medicolegal can of worms to deal with.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Trilogies are fine as long as they don't do the boring obvious thing and make them have three parts.

this is literally a Douglas Adams joke

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think Robert Rankin did it around the same time too, with the eleven part Brentford Trilogy. It's got legs.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

OwlFancier posted:

There's a plan, I just haven't told anyone about it yet.

Kieth's Big Plan

1. A cop in every house

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really wonder if he's just hoping to fight the next election without actually giving out any policies and just saying he has them.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I think Robert Rankin did it around the same time too, with the eleven part Brentford Trilogy. It's got legs.

Google can't find a reference to Rankin but it's literally written on the cover of Mostly Harmless, published 1992

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

This is BS.

Easy issues can be solved if the GPs are competent but years of burning down the primary care service have reduced the actual competent workforce down to nearly nothing.

Now you have fresh GPs, overseas imports ans paramedical staff promoted beyond the scope of their ability who have neither the experience nor incentive to act as anything more than a glorified triage service.

So many times a comprehensive response has been sent back only for the person who picks it up in the surgery to go tl:dr and instead send a referral to jam the waiting lists up even more. Or you find that the diagnosis was not even correct in the first instance and now there's a whole medicolegal can of worms to deal with.

That loving blows. Doesn't the fund allocation very much vary by area and even hospital? I assume its different everywhere if that sounds like bs to you as likely I'm explaining it poorly second hand. I wouldn't expect my mate to be making that up though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

Google can't find a reference to Rankin but it's literally written on the cover of Mostly Harmless, published 1992
The Sprouts of Wrath (The Fourth Part of the Brentford Trilogy) was 1988, but it's an obvious enough numerical joke to make that it's probably somewhere in the Talmud too.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

I really wonder if he's just hoping to fight the next election without actually giving out any policies and just saying he has them.

I genuinely can't wait to read the manifesto. I'm a connoisseur of saying nothing with thousands of words

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

That loving blows. Doesn't the fund allocation very much vary by area and even hospital? I assume its different everywhere if that sounds like bs to you as likely I'm explaining it poorly second hand. I wouldn't expect my mate to be making that up though.

It used to be something called payment by results where the hospital would be paid per case. I could see the reasoning under this system to accumulate referrals as it would mean more £££. I don't actually know if this is still a thing though because of:

These days it's usually a block contract where the hospital/department gets paid a set amount (based on an estimated number of cases) by the commissioners. As I recall this is renegotiated every few years (five?) so if there's a sudden jump in demand you could be seeing 2x the number of referrals incoming for the same amount of money. It really incentivises dealing with patients as quickly and "efficiently" as possible (ideally by never letting them darken your door in the first place). As you might imagine, this leads to a whole new set of equally troublesome issues.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

The Sprouts of Wrath (The Fourth Part of the Brentford Trilogy) was 1988, but it's an obvious enough numerical joke to make that it's probably somewhere in the Talmud too.

and "increasingly inaccurately named" implies a fifth book which wasn't till 1997

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's McDonnell, who is still writing his trilogy so he says. Rankin was just The Fourth Part of the Brentford Trilogy until part five thru eleven, Adams was A Trilogy in Five Parts. I'd put money on Mel Brooks having pulled something like that before all of them in the 70s though, it's an old joke. (I'd have to check Finkel, but I'm sure "this number too large for here, lol" is in a Babylonian joke somewhere)

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Julio Cruz posted:

I was curious and acording to wikipedia the 4th Hitchikers novel released in 1984, which was the same year the 3rd Brentford came out.
The brentford trillogy didn't make it to its 4th book until 1988.

Not sure when the 'trillogy in x parts' joke was actually used but Hitchikers had the opertunity to do it first. Rankin had the last laugh though because even counting 'And Another Thing...' a 6 book trillogy is very paltry compared to the 11 and counting brentford books (not to mention countless related books with the same characters not set in brentford specifically).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

the new testament

the definitive word of god, part 2