Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I played a PFS game last night and was told there were several goons in the group. Any of yall from the Fairbanks AK lodge here in the thread? Was a fun session, probably the best and most non-cringey PFS game I've had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Epi Lepi posted:

New book coming in February called The Treasure Vault with tons of magic and mundane items, a section titled "Alchemy Unleashed" and variant and expanded crafting rules.

These things usually have a playtest, right? How does one get in on that?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KPC_Mammon posted:

These things usually have a playtest, right? How does one get in on that?

They tend not to do public play tests for stuff like this; generally, PF2e play tests have mostly been for new classes - in those cases they get posted publicly to Paizo.com, you “get in on it” by downloading the PDF.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lammasu posted:

Got an uplifted bear soldier, an android mechanic, one of the little rat things operative and a mystic. Not sure of the mystic's race. What's really troubling is that I keep wanting to call it Star Citizen. I'll slip up eventually and die of embarrassment.

Uplifited bear is so cool. In the last starfinder game I played that lasted exactly one session, I made my GM really happy by showing up as a witchwarper u. bear.

That is a nice thing about Starfinder is there is so much power up that a "bad" racial choice doesn't matter after the first few levels.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Can’t wait to play one of these guys.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I might be involved in a PF2e campaign soon and have been looking hard at Mummy, but am a little wary about playing an intelligent undead. The healing requirements are manageable, but permadying with no possible resurrection once you hit 0 HP seems real scary. Is undead resurrection a thing? Anyone have any experience?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Froghammer posted:

I might be involved in a PF2e campaign soon and have been looking hard at Mummy, but am a little wary about playing an intelligent undead. The healing requirements are manageable, but permadying with no possible resurrection once you hit 0 HP seems real scary. Is undead resurrection a thing? Anyone have any experience?

Player undead don't die immediately at 0 hp.

quote:

Negative Survival: Unlike normal undead, you aren't destroyed when reduced to 0 Hit Points. Instead, powerful negative energy attempts to keep you from being destroyed even in dire straits. You are knocked out and begin dying when reduced to 0 Hit Points. Because you're undead, many methods of bringing someone back from dying, such as stabilize, don't benefit you. When you would die, you're destroyed rather than dead, just like other undead.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Oh that's much more manageable then

Hell yeah, Mummy it is

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

make sure with your GM that you’re allowed to play it since it looks like it has the Rare tag, which by default is restricted and is up to your GM to allow it

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Also a good time to have a conversation about what your allies might need to stabilize you

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Harold Fjord posted:

Also a good time to have a conversation about what your allies might need to stabilize you

Hint: the easiest way is probably Harm magic

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

zachol posted:

it kind of suffers from "PC exceptionalism" in the later chapters, like a book where the protagonist intrudes on an established organization right before a crisis and suddenly ends up in charge for no good reason.

You have to be a lot more specific given that there is one major narrative and a bunch of smaller ones.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Has anyone been able to make gunswords work well? They seem kinda bad but I have a player interested in them that would like help with their build. They are currently a fighter considering mauler, gunslinger, or arkenstar agent archetype feats to get additional gunsword support.

We aren't planning on free multiclass feats. I've offered but most of the players have seemed ambivalent. Unfortunately I'm not sure how gunswords would work without it.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
edit: lol wrong thread

FishFood fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 5, 2022

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

KPC_Mammon posted:

Has anyone been able to make gunswords work well? They seem kinda bad but I have a player interested in them that would like help with their build. They are currently a fighter considering mauler, gunslinger, or arkenstar agent archetype feats to get additional gunsword support.

We aren't planning on free multiclass feats. I've offered but most of the players have seemed ambivalent. Unfortunately I'm not sure how gunswords would work without it.

I haven't personally tried them, but what's your player trying to get out of them? How are they going to benefit from not having to swap weapons?

I was considering using the hammer/arquebus one on my dwarf sniper, and put it aside because I'm probably not going to be using the hammer half enough to make it worth.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Gunswords are definitely pretty rough. Firearms and crossbows already fall behind a bit because you need to deal with reloading all the time, which is rarely a fair trade-off for the extra traits (or damage dice for crossbows) you'd get over a longbow or something in return. Gunswords (and similar combination weapons) then lose even more damage and traits for the privilege of taping two different weapons together, on top of the need to have both Str and Dex if you want to make decent attacks with both, and you can't even use them well on an actual Gunslinger because Gunslingers get slightly lower proficiency with non-firearm and non-crossbow weapons, including the sword part of the gunsword.

The major benefits of a gunsword are the Stab and Blast feat from Gunslinger (requires 16th level via archetype) which is effectively Flurry of Blows for combination weapons, and the ability to choose the firearm crit specialization (save vs stun 1) or pick crit specialization (+2 damage per weapon die) instead when you make a melee attack at the coast of unloading the weapon. Fighter is definitely the best chassis to work with then for the highest across-the-board weapon proficiency, but you definitely want to pick up all the quick reload feats and Stab and Blast from a Gunslinger archetype if you're trying to make that work. Otherwise, you could just take Quick Draw and switch between a normal sword and a normal gun at pretty much the same speed without needing to drop anything and do the same job better, at the cost of spending more money on runes for both.

You could also of course get 'flurry' abilities for much better weapons from Two-Weapon Flurry, Hunted Shot, Twin Takedown, or literally just Flurry of Blows, and get the objectively best crit spec in the game from using a flail or a hammer, but then you're playing something else entirely.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 5, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

We are playing Outlaws of Alkenstar and it was one of those options that felt like it might never be campaign appropriate ever again so she wanted to try it.

I ran the damage numbers on a gun sword compared to a jezail with reinforced stock and they were nearly identical except with their melee and ranged damage swapped. I'm tempted to house rule that combination weapons don't need an action to switch modes because they seem extra terrible.

She's switched to a jezail with reinforced stock (they are both one handed weapons so I ruled they qualify for blazons even while used 2-handed) and is a melee ranged hybrid. She screens the gun slinger with opportunity attacks, contributes ranged firepower, and dives in to flank with the Inventor in melee.

It isn't as good as a greatweapon fighter but it seems dynamic enough to be enjoyable so far.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

KPC_Mammon posted:

We are playing Outlaws of Alkenstar and it was one of those options that felt like it might never be campaign appropriate ever again so she wanted to try it.

I ran the damage numbers on a gun sword compared to a jezail with reinforced stock and they were nearly identical except with their melee and ranged damage swapped. I'm tempted to house rule that combination weapons don't need an action to switch modes because they seem extra terrible.

She's switched to a jezail with reinforced stock (they are both one handed weapons so I ruled they qualify for blazons even while used 2-handed) and is a melee ranged hybrid. She screens the gun slinger with opportunity attacks, contributes ranged firepower, and dives in to flank with the Inventor in melee.

It isn't as good as a greatweapon fighter but it seems dynamic enough to be enjoyable so far.

Did you post on Reddit about this? I just read a similar discussion about how to best use combination weapons there. A month and a half ago someone else was wondering how to make a FFXIV inspired Gunbreaker for their Outlaws game and there was a neat build in that thread using the Suli ancestry and Wizard dedication to get some extra elemental flavor to the attacks. I messed around a little bit with two variations through lvl 4, both Gnoll and using Free Archetype, but one gunslinger and one fighter. Here they are respectively - https://pathbuilder2e.com/launch.html?build=179470, https://pathbuilder2e.com/launch.html?build=179469

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

Did you post on Reddit about this? I just read a similar discussion about how to best use combination weapons there. A month and a half ago someone else was wondering how to make a FFXIV inspired Gunbreaker for their Outlaws game and there was a neat build in that thread using the Suli ancestry and Wizard dedication to get some extra elemental flavor to the attacks. I messed around a little bit with two variations through lvl 4, both Gnoll and using Free Archetype, but one gunslinger and one fighter. Here they are respectively - https://pathbuilder2e.com/launch.html?build=179470, https://pathbuilder2e.com/launch.html?build=179469

I've not posted on Reddit but the player is playing a Sylph (inspired by La Sylphide, not FF) which isn't far off from a Suli.

I did try searching the general Pathfinder discord and Foundry Pathfinder discord to see if anyone already came up with something that looked good. The results weren't optimistic.

I'll check out your builds when I'm at my desktop.

She's taken point-blank shot and gunslinger muiticlass and plans on risky reload at 4, since the drawback for that feat doesn't really exist if you aren't a gunslinger and the first attack each round almost never misses when you are playing a fighter.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Oh yeah, a jezail with a reinforced stock is a better club-version of a gunsword than a gunsword, drat. I don't know why they added an Interact action to swap usages when attached weapons just get that for free. The reinforced stock is even finesse too, so you don't lose any attack bonus from being Dex-focused, and Blazons of Shared Power only specify "wielding one-handed weapons" and not "wielding weapons with one hand", so I'm pretty sure that works RAW anyway.

A bayonet would add agile too though at the cost of a single dice size, which on a Fighter could combo with Agile Grace at 10th for a MAP chain of only -0/-3/-6 after leading with a gunshot.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Vanguard Warden posted:

A bayonet would add agile too though at the cost of a single dice size, which on a Fighter could combo with Agile Grace at 10th for a MAP chain of only -0/-3/-6 after leading with a gunshot.

That sounds pretty great. We were looking at Mauler at level 8 to improve the 2-handed reinforced stock's weapon proficiency but that would require another gunslinger feat at level 6, which isn't the ideal time to pick up advanced shooting and none of the initial deeds look particularly interesting. Maybe One Shot, One Kill since it is one of the few scaling damage bonuses available from feats but Fighters are pretty drat good at perception so focusing on stealth feels a little wasteful. Are we overlooking a good level 1-2 gunslinger feat or deed that might work well with this build?

Drifter not working with combination or attached weapons is such a shame. Combination weapons are all stated to be comparable to 1-handed weapons so it doesn't seem like it would break anything too much if drifters could use them.

Agile Grace would have the same accuracy on the second attack but would be better on the third so it is definitely something to think about.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 6, 2022

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

The Ten Paces initial deed wouldn't be bad since your weapon is technically one-handed. Outside of the free weapon draw, the circumstance bonus to initiative plus the free 10-ft step into position is fantastic, free movement is free actions. The reload for that Way also lets you stack reloads with Demoralize or Create a Diversion attempts, which most martial characters wind up doing as their third action most of the time anyway, so it's probably the best free-reload combo for a front-line character outside of Stride.

Fighters get a free class feat at 9th anyway, so it's not too hard to back-fill whatever you might've missed before then.

EDIT: Beyond Risky Reload, Pistol Twirl would also allow you to make ranged Feint attempts since your weapon is technically one-handed even if you wield it with two. There's a surprising amount of value from that.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 7, 2022

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I'm not as familiar with the mechanics of 2e I guess but I can imagine a magus using a gunsword...

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The Golux posted:

I'm not as familiar with the mechanics of 2e I guess but I can imagine a magus using a gunsword...

I wish, that would be cool!

Magus have really tight action requirements. Spellstrikes cost two actions. Starting a cascade costs an action and has to follow up a spellcast. Recharging spellstrikes takes another action.

You hardly have enough actions to move, let alone spending another action to switch from ranged to melee or back again.

Magus get better once they have access to haste, right? They seem really cool and powerful while also awkward to actually play.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The only build you need for Alkenstar

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/s0bvh4/not_good_still_awesome_revolver_ocelot/

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
How is the Alkenstar adventure? One of my players is really pushing it for our next campaign, but the last Paizo AP I tried was Edgewatch so I'm understandably a bit wary about another one.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm GMing it. So far it seems fine but I liked our previous campaign that combined toubles in otari and abomination vaults better. We lost everything in a catastrophic computer event though and figured we should give it a break before going back.

There are a lot of clockwork enemies, some swarms, and the occasion ooze. I feel extremely bad for the party's Pistolero, his reload feature hasn't worked for the majority of the encounters.

I'm going to offer him a rebuild as a spellshot or drifter, I really hope he takes me up on it. Some encounters he is dead weight due to not critting, mental immune enemies, and low base weapon damage not being able to get past damage resistance. Spellshot would completely negate the problem since the same enemies are vulnerable to electrical damage.

There is also a hazard in the first scenario that was over tuned: a haunt that nearly caused a tpk when it instantly dropped all but one party member, who was instead reduced to a single hit point. A lucky roll disabled the haunt and some more lucky rolls got everyone stabilized but it was rough. If it was up to anyone else people would have died. If I could do it over again I'd change it into an RP encounter where the party talks to the ghost.

I've heard complaints about the 4th scenario but most of them are based on it being impossible to do well enough on the skill challenge to get the optional bonus reward. But that reward sucks and the players aren't missing anything. The skill challenge is fine so long as players read the player's guide and took the recommended skills at character creation.

The player's handbook has a list of recommended skills. Following that helps a lot so long as they don't forget to also take medicine. It isn't listed as important because you won't need it for the story, not because you'll not need it to heal outside of combat due to long periods of down time between each fight.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Medicine is possibly the most important skill in PF2e.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Epi Lepi posted:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Epi Lepi posted:

:hmmyes:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Epi Lepi posted:

Getting medic with my free archetype as a.monk and just blitzing around the battle field doing fast first aid and mental check ups between going Super Saiyan is legit the best a D&D derivative game has ever been

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Vanguard Warden posted:

Blazons of Shared Power only specify "wielding one-handed weapons" and not "wielding weapons with one hand", so I'm pretty sure that works RAW anyway.

PF2 actually has gone out and said that isn't a thing anymore - a one-handed weapon is a weapon being wielded in one hand. You can't do things like use a Bastard Sword two-handed for a one-hand feat.

quote:

Handedness in PF2 is determined by the number of hands being used to wield the weapon. So if you're using a jezail in two hands, it's a two-handed weapon and you can't use any options that require you to be using a firearm one-handed until you're back to wielding it in one hand. If you use a dagger in two hands, it's a two-handed weapon for the purposes of feats and abilities that require a two-handed weapon, as laid out on pages 279-280 of the CRB. When determining the handedness of a weapon, the two questions are just "What's the minimum number of hands required to wield this" and "How many hands am I currently using to wield it?"

It was actually called out specifically for the jezail and blazons of shared power.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Cyouni posted:

PF2 actually has gone out and said that isn't a thing anymore - a one-handed weapon is a weapon being wielded in one hand. You can't do things like use a Bastard Sword two-handed for a one-hand feat.

As a person who has a spreadsheet full of overpowered martial DPR builds that don't get impacted by this in the slightest, this is some needless dev-quibbling.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Cyouni posted:

It was actually called out specifically for the jezail and blazons of shared power.

Even for blazons? I saw the ruling for feats, which I was fine with because how you are using a weapon could impact what tricks you can do with them, but how do blazons magically stop working when you wield a weapon in two hands instead of one? Do you have a link so I can know where to direct my frustration?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

Do you have a link so I can know where to direct my frustration?

It's a forum post over here, directly responding to someone doing that specific Blazons + jezail thing.

Oddly enough the same post also implies that you can wield a dagger in two hands even though it's a one-handed weapon without the two-hand trait, and it then becomes a two-handed weapon for all purposes too. That means that you can use feats like Avalanche Strike or Brutish Shove with literally anything as long as your off-hand isn't busy? Cool, that's not completely unintuitive.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Vanguard Warden posted:

Oddly enough the same post also implies that you can wield a dagger in two hands even though it's a one-handed weapon without the two-hand trait, and it then becomes a two-handed weapon for all purposes too. That means that you can use feats like Avalanche Strike or Brutish Shove with literally anything as long as your off-hand isn't busy? Cool, that's not completely unintuitive.

that one's in the core rulebook

CRB pg. 280 posted:

Weapons requiring two hands typically deal more damage. Some one‑handed weapons have the two‑hand trait, causing them to deal a different size of weapon damage die when used in two hands. In addition, some abilities require you to wield a weapon in two hands. You meet this requirement while holding the weapon in two hands, even if it doesn’t require two hands or have the two‑hand trait.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Vanguard Warden posted:

Yes and no. If you want to go from 1-handed grip, keeping a hand free, to a 2-handed grip to use a feat, you have to spend an action to adjust your grip. You don't get your cake and eat it, too.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Vanguard Warden posted:

It's a forum post over here, directly responding to someone doing that specific Blazons + jezail thing.

Thanks, I hate it.

I don't really understand the point of weapon attachments, combination weapons, or that weird gunslinger holster.

They all seem unusably bad.

Edit: sorry for tilting. New stuff seems worse than core and it is disappointing.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 8, 2022

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

New stuff seems worse than core and it is disappointing.

It could be way worse, you could be looking through the spells.

Honestly, needing to spend money on duplicate runes for more than one weapon is a lovely tax that discourages anything other than singular two-handed weapons, and items like Doubling Rings and Blazons of Shared Power are supposed to fix that. There's even a variant rule (that from what I've heard was going to be baseline until grogs whined about their precious loot) that just automatically gives you all the relevant item bonus upgrades as you level up, for every weapon you touch. I'd just hand-wave attached weapons to use the same runes as what they're attached to, I'm pretty sure that's how combination weapons work anyway and I don't know why they made attached weapons different when it's the same drat idea. Nobody with a reload weapon is going to come within a mile of 'overpowered' regardless.

Just pray that no one in your group tries the flickmace, because then all weapons are pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Getting medic with my free archetype as a.monk and just blitzing around the battle field doing... mental check ups

*sprints over* "Hey bud, it's been a rough time for a lot of people, how are you holding up? Want to talk for a bit? I have an action."