Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
One of the big differences, in my mind, is one of space. Moon Knight (for example) had 20 pages of story in May, while looking at my Shonen Jump app, My Hero Academia had 45. The pace of a story and by extension the panelling are going to be wildly different as you're looking A) different pagecounts and B) different publication schedules- 20 pages once a month is necessarily going to tell a story in a different way than 15 pages, three times a month will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Aren't some older mangas also 20 pages a month, like from the 70s? I recall Black Jack breaking the fourth wall saying he had to wrap up this surgery quick because there's only 20 pages. Captain Harlock is another one but has pacing issues and I think it's because of it. Only key events are highlighted none of the filler character building in between stuff you'd expect. Even in the remake manga there was a hell of a jump between major plot points of gathering intel on the enemy and I thought I missed something. However Ablaze Publishing put out an approved side story that was way better paced, but idk if it was because it was written by a westerner, or if it just was that some one else wrote it in general and the original author alone is really to blame for the over condensing of the plot.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 7, 2022

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

There was an article I read awhile ago comparing action pacing of American comics vs. Japanese manga and I'm not sure where it was (might have even been something David Brothers wrote?).

There's a definite difference in how panels are laid out. Manga is generally better at laying out pages so it's obvious how panels are supposed to be read (provided you understand reading right to left) - like, actual panel sizes and gutters are deliberately set up to direct reading. American comics aren't necessarily as good at this, and it's definitely not a specific medium convention.

I think a big part the difference definitely comes down to pacing, and not just action. Manga, by and large, reads a lot faster than most American comics. But it also lingers on moments longer. Maybe because it reads faster, you can have multiple panels or pages that focus on a reaction to a single event that would just feel out of place in American comics.

I don't know that I'd agree with the layout comment though. Lots of manga is good at it (smaller pages / less panels helps), but lots of manga isn't.

That said... I think most artists who work on american comics are familiar with manga at this point and vice versa. Different styles still exist, but you can find lots of influence going both ways. Same for european comics.

To me the #1 difference between big 2 comics and manga is that the big 2 are rarely single creator-led endeavours. Manga obviously includes lots of people particularly when it's successful, but the proportion of creators who are real cartoonists responsible for both art and story are a lot higher than in traditional american comics.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very true, though I wonder how much creative control all manga have. In a Fist of the North Star collection there was an intro by the editor talking about how he came up with the idea of using acupressure points to kill etc, and then the artist and writer fleshed it out.

But aside from stuff like that, I wonder if a Shounen Jump title has ideas turned down or direction given at times, like an American comic does. But it also seems we have less behind the scenes info on manga.

Another difference is manga having assistants drawing backgrounds and stuff like that, less common in US books.

Both American comics and manga have trends, and looking at the manga section with all the Isekai titles, stuff like that, all the manga on certain topics like sports and school clubs etc, I wonder if it's not entirely creator driven like an independently published comic. Though maybe they'd just have to make a pitch to get it serialized in the first place. And it can be dropped, so maybe there's some back and forth.

Hopefully they do give a good bit of creative control though. Maybe a bit like 2000AD. All just speculation on my part here.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Different magazines have different amounts of editorial control and some editors influence the series more than others. Shonen Jump, for instance, has a good deal more editorial control than other magazines, but the good editors largely let the creators have the bulk of the creative control and give feedback rather than directions

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That makes sense. As long as One Piece gets a good ending, I'm content. Go Oda go!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I sorta remember reading that Akira Toriyama's editor kept pushing that the androids weren't a big enough villain story wise and that's how that story morphed into the cell saga in dbz in some interview somewhere, so I'm under an assumption that the editors have some sizable influence on manga creators.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

I sorta remember reading that Akira Toriyama's editor kept pushing that the androids weren't a big enough villain story wise and that's how that story morphed into the cell saga in dbz in some interview somewhere, so I'm under an assumption that the editors have some sizable influence on manga creators.

Yeah, they thought Androids 19 and 20 looked stupid so Toriyama made 17 & 18, then they said they didn't look threatening so he made Cell, then they said Cell didn't look cool so eventually we got Perfect Cell.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Turbinosamente posted:

He was actually Toriyama’s ex-editor at the time

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Turbinosamente posted:

I've never been clear on how much influence editors have over manga creators, but it does seem like 'a lot.' I've heard stories part of the reason Bleach was the way it was because his editor kept telling Kubo to make it like either DBZ or One Piece instead of doing its own thing. Even Jujutsu Kaisen seems to have devolved into the ever escalating power level thing, which is a shame.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

I've never been clear on how much influence editors have over manga creators, but it does seem like 'a lot.' I've heard stories part of the reason Bleach was the way it was because his editor kept telling Kubo to make it like either DBZ or One Piece instead of doing its own thing. Even Jujutsu Kaisen seems to have devolved into the ever escalating power level thing, which is a shame.

I think from things like Bakuman, Nozaki-kun and Aoi Honoo (among lots of other works that have manga development as either a focus or part of the plot) there's a range of editor types, but it definitely seems like often the editor is either a full on collaborator or a director and generally the buck stops with them.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Going back to an earlier point, there’s a number of monthly manga, although they tend to be about 30-something pages a month. So that’s still a fifty percent increase on pages over a twenty page monthly series. I wonder how much of that is because of not having a different person doing the coloring like a lot of comics do and how much of it is the manga industry still being a meatgrinder that doesn’t allow for breaks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thetoughestbean posted:

Going back to an earlier point, there’s a number of monthly manga, although they tend to be about 30-something pages a month. So that’s still a fifty percent increase on pages over a twenty page monthly series. I wonder how much of that is because of not having a different person doing the coloring like a lot of comics do and how much of it is the manga industry still being a meatgrinder that doesn’t allow for breaks.

I think it's manga being a meat grinder mostly. Ultimate Spider-Man came out 18 times a year for 108 issues straight with a single writer and a single pencilist (couldn't tell you off hand if the inker or colorist changed) so coloring a comic is not the bottle neck for western comics.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ve been reading some of those twice-a-month 90s Larry Hama Wolverine comics, and they’re pretty rough, both in the rushed-looking art and the muddled storytelling. You can tell they were done in a hurry.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I think it's manga being a meat grinder mostly. Ultimate Spider-Man came out 18 times a year for 108 issues straight with a single writer and a single pencilist (couldn't tell you off hand if the inker or colorist changed) so coloring a comic is not the bottle neck for western comics.

Not for nothing but Bagley was a machine, too. I think at one point he was doing both New Warriors and Amazing Spider-Man at the same time without a noticeable dip in quality.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

King Baby posted:

Wow thanks E&C, that really covers everything. I really miss that era (2006 - 2013) when I was an active consumer. So was the idea that regular DC stuff stayed with the main line? Wildstorm takes all the weird Superhero books like The Boys, Ex Machina, and Welcome to Tranquility? Vertigo gets the rest of the pulpy magic, Sci/fi, YA stuff like Y the last man, Fables, and The Northmen?
There were a lot of sub-imprints and editorial offices but the thing to remember is that Wildstorm was an independent company that DC purchased in 1998. Wildstorm itself had been publishing a combination of company-owned superheroes (Wildcats, Gen 13, etc) and creator-owned books (Astro City, Danger Girl, Battle Chaser, etc.) and when they were purchased by DC, Wildstorm kept its own office/staff in California until the whole company underwent a bunch of restructuring in 2010.

So hypothetically all of the projects and contracts for Wildstorm books (which continued to include both Wildstorm Universe and creator-owned books, plus later licensed titles) were handled by a separate group from any of the DC offices in New York. The New York offices stepped in a few times, most notably when they made Mark Millar and his artists to tone down some of the bits showing real-life celebrities raping and/or graphically murdering people in the tail end of his Authority run, and then again when they were uncomfortable with some of the graphic murder and rape in The Boys. There were probably some less remembered interventions as well.

Vertigo was originally just envisioned as a sub-imprint to place all of the pre-existing "mature dark fantasy" books already published and taking place in the DC Universe, but shortly before its launch Disney had recently scrapped a line of creator-owned comics (Touchmark, a companion to their Touchstone film studio) which they hired away DC editor Art Young to run. He came back to DC, and half of the creators working on those Touchmark books already were working at DC, so books like Enigma, Sebastian O, etc. ended up as part of the Vertigo launch line, which set the precedent for them doing non-DCU creator owned books. The lion's share of Vertigo was still DCU characters for the first few years, the Invisibles and Preacher were the first two ongoing creator-owned series to come out of Vertigo, both by creative teams who had been working on proto-Vertigo DCU books prior to that.

DC attempted for years to keep Vertigo "dark fantasy" by introducing countless imprints (Paradox, Helix, Vertigo Verite, Focus, Minx) to cover not-superhero-but-not-dark-fantasy comics, but eventually pretty much all of those ended up getting absorbed into Vertigo, and then over the 2010s Vertigo went away too.

This is a long-winded way of saying that the reason Ex Machina or The Boys were Wildstorm while Y the Last Man or War Stories were Vertigo really boiled down to Vaughn or Ennis pitching those books to different editors in different offices.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I remember seeing a panel of Master Pandemonium where his hands were demons and he couldn't eat, I think? Can someone link that for me?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Here's the sequence. it's from Ghost Rider

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Thank you!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Right, so Saga recently came back, and based on events in said recent issues, I was wondering if there was something I forgot.

Okay, so the whole thing is that Landfall (the planet with the winged people who use tech) and Wreath (the moon near Landfall with the horned people that use magic) 'always hated' each other and got into a war decades/centuries ago and it's ended up in the classic "No one even remembers why they started fighting but the hatred and sunk cost fallacy is now so deep that neither side will stop'. However, neither side can take the final step of destroying the planet or moon, because that would in turn destroy the other. So the two planets have 'exported' their war to the rest of the galaxy...

How, exactly? Was it purely mercenary, a "help us fight and we'll get you things"? Did they both have enough power that they were basically able to force planets into being vassal states for them? Basically, considering the main plot thread of the book is two soldiers, each one from one side of the war, fell in love and had a hybrid child, and this is SO loving BAD for the people in power because their child represents 'an idea' or something that could take root in the peoples who are sick of the endless war and the heartless cynical bastards and those who need someone to hate and blame don't want that to the degree that the most recent plot development is someone being told to not only track down and kill the main characters, but literally everyone they ever met, to make sure absolute NO ONE EVER KNOWS EVER THAT THIS BABY EXISTED, I just started to wonder if I missed or forgot how these two worlds are so powerful that they can make their home galaxy into the battlefield and drag everyone in it into their endless blood feud. They don't SEEM that powerful, though again, it's been some time since I read the whole thing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Has Simon Williams ever been in a movie with Mary Jane Watson? Bonus points if Dazzler did the soundtrack.

Waiting for Eternals to say that Kingo has done a movie with either of them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

Has Simon Williams ever been in a movie with Mary Jane Watson? Bonus points if Dazzler did the soundtrack.

I don't believe so. Their acting careers put them on opposite coasts and in the case of Simon Williams is referenced pretty rarely. So we hear about the cheesy low budget fantasy movies Simon makes while Mary Jane is making soap operas...

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I've been away from DC for a bit but returned fo the Pride specials. Imagine my surprise when reading the Tim Drake special to find Connor Kent Supperboy and Impulse were apparently back with their Pre New 52 characterisations. 2 questions:

- When the hell did this happen? I'm guessing one of the titans books post Rebirth but haven't read any modern titans since Lobdels run.
- have there been any good titans runs since the New 52 that are worth reading?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Con-El returned in Bendis's Young Justice. Tim just kind of transitioned back, and I'm not sure how Impulse returned.

Don't read any Titans.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Con-El returned in Bendis's Young Justice. Tim just kind of transitioned back, and I'm not sure how Impulse returned.

Don't read any Titans.

Thanks. I always liked Connor so I'll have to check out that run.

Shame that the Titans books have apparently been a wash. I wonder why DC has so much trouble with them?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Impulse apparently was running through Hypertime like right before Flashpoint and when he got back, everything was post-Rebirth. And, being Impulse, he kinda just rolled with it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nyeehg posted:

Thanks. I always liked Connor so I'll have to check out that run.

Shame that the Titans books have apparently been a wash. I wonder why DC has so much trouble with them?
It's hard to write teens or teen concerns convincingly and also the need to Grit them up for LONG LASTING WORLD SHATTERING NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Superboy and Impulse were both retconned to being outside of the universe when Flashpoint happened so they came back pretty much fully formed as they were when they left. Tim's whole history kind of just changed without explanation at some point around Rebirth back to his Pre-Flashpoint history. When Conner came back most people close to him seemed to remember him except for Clark and Lois. Even Krypto and Ma & Pa Kent remembered him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

It's hard to write teens or teen concerns convincingly and also the need to Grit them up for LONG LASTING WORLD SHATTERING NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME

Even when they had good teen book writers like Sean McKeever they were not allowed to write them as teens, but instead constantly mauled by alien dogs or whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is a prose fiction thing, not a comic book thing but every teen novel I read is about justifying the war crimes those teens eventually commit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

This is a prose fiction thing, not a comic book thing but every teen novel I read is about justifying the war crimes those teens eventually commit.

I will always respect Animorphs for ending with "haha no you actually did a war crime and no amount of justification or people telling you that you were blameless changes the fact."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

Even when they had good teen book writers like Sean McKeever they were not allowed to write them as teens, but instead constantly mauled by alien dogs or whatever.
Yep.

TT/TTG kind of drifts more towards College Freshmen with a Cool Dorm sometimes.... but I saw some fanart of the Titans just kind of sharing a small house dealie (random loafing around, nothing heroic) and it was exactly the mood I'd picture a modern Titans low-stakes series like.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Yep.

TT/TTG kind of drifts more towards College Freshmen with a Cool Dorm sometimes.... but I saw some fanart of the Titans just kind of sharing a small house dealie (random loafing around, nothing heroic) and it was exactly the mood I'd picture a modern Titans low-stakes series like.

Gabriel Picolo's stuff? He rocks. The OGNs he did with a writer whose name I forget are worth a read. I think there's one for Raven, Beast Boy and Raven Loves Beast Boy.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ImpAtom posted:

I will always respect Animorphs for ending with "haha no you actually did a war crime and no amount of justification or people telling you that you were blameless changes the fact."

'By the way the series is ending with everyone but Cassie fuckin' dying because life doesn't have happy endings.'

Goddamn Animorphs was so loving good.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dawgstar posted:

Gabriel Picolo's stuff? He rocks. The OGNs he did with a writer whose name I forget are worth a read. I think there's one for Raven, Beast Boy and Raven Loves Beast Boy.

Kami Garcia.

It makes me laugh because it’s Piccolo and Kami

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thetoughestbean posted:

Kami Garcia.

It makes me laugh because it’s Piccolo and Kami

...nice.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

ImpAtom posted:

What war crime did they do?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Enlisting terminally ill children to fight parasitic brain slugs is never going to be a great look whether you cure them first or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cornwind Evil posted:

What war crime did they do?

They turned disabled children into cannon fodder and then mass executed captured prisoners.

Oh and also set up a forced situation where a pacifist robot was made to go on a killing spree.

Animorphs got real dark.

Edit: Also this isn't subtext. When the main villain is being tried at the Hague he basically points it out and the protagonist freaks out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here's a story about it. Spoilers, obviously, if you care about spoilers for a 20 year old children's novel series.