Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

War has officially been replaced with "your key, your country, not your key, not your country"

Oh gently caress, someone just sent Wales to a dead address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
So what if Russia says "yeah we agree who ever has the most hash power wins", then the US diverts all it's energy into ASICs and filling the air with smog from the coal fired powered plants. Then on the day of the hash test Russia just reveals that it lied and invested in tanks and guns then rolls though DC in a day?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

like in king of kong?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

pippy posted:

So what if Russia says "yeah we agree who ever has the most hash power wins", then the US diverts all it's energy into ASICs and filling the air with smog from the coal fired powered plants. Then on the day of the hash test Russia just reveals that it lied and invested in tanks and guns then rolls though DC in a day?

Maybe Russia would just phish America's password and steal all its apes and won't need to attack!!!!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

drat, sorry you lost your country bro that sucks.

also can you change the flag in your profile picture? not your country anymore

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

like in king of kong?

lol, i think it's this Billy Mitchell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Mitchell

if so, lmao, that the coiner would equate his stance to the "Father of The United States Air Force". I guess delusions of grandeur are part of Coiner Psyche? what am I saying? Of course delusions are a core tenet of coiner bros. lol.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 7, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got it confused with the Billy Mays guy who was a pitchman for all that "as seen on TV" crap, seems more fitting though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I see the Twitter guy has taken his understanding of war from the hit movie Robot Jox

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

oh god. the verge is doing a "year of NFT" thing and wrote a bunch of articles. i wouldn't say they're pro NFT but they're also not really uh anti NFT?

i only read this one so far about nba top shot
https://www.theverge.com/23153620/nba-top-shot-nft-bored-ape-yacht-club

quote:

When I speak to Libruary — his username — for this story, he’s in Bali. He’d quit his job. He’s thinking of moving to Portugal. He’s dabbled in a lot of projects, he says; he mostly mints NFTs to flip them. And it all started with Top Shot.

quote:

When I spoke to Libruary last year, he’d been a sports card collector who liked that Moments were easier to display and more portable than his physical card collection. He’d even posted about his enthusiasm in a sports card forum in October 2020, where someone replied to his post by posting a GIF of a child tossing money from a window.

Libruary pulls that thread back up when we chat again this year. “I think that person was misguided when they posted that,” he says. “They probably should have looked into it a little harder and done a little bit of research, because that was at a time before NFTs were mainstream or anything. A hundred bucks in Top Shot probably would have got them a few grand.”

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

and the lord said, "Let the bros get scammed."

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

tango alpha delta posted:

I guess delusions of grandeur are part of Coiner Psyche?

It's a perfect storm of delusions of grandeur between coiner-brain and grad-student-brain

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It's a perfect storm of delusions of grandeur between coiner-brain and grad-student-brain

i understand delusions of grandeur. i sometimes get them, on an albeit much, much smaller scale, before my wife deflates me with humor.

and now I understand something else about coiners; they do not have any trusted friends that can bring them back to earth. holy poo poo, that's actually really, really bad.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Mitchell was a very early proponent of having an air power-centered navy. He famously demonstrated how a ship could be sunk by airplanes, which is pretty much how our navy has operated for the last 70 years. He also put his money where mouth was by leading the first retaliatory strike of WWII against the Japanese home islands in a bombers that took off from an aircraft carrier. This dude is saying "I am going to show the military that the future of war is the blockchain, and I will be proven correct by history"

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Still laughing that another true believer showed up again that probably wasn't seraph.

Revolutionary chipotle payment system hahaha.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

tango alpha delta posted:

and now I understand something else about coiners; they do not have any trusted friends that can bring them back to earth. holy poo poo, that's actually really, really bad.

I feel like this is becoming a more pervasive problem as societal interaction moves ever more into social media space, where you can either passively or actively filter your interactions so you can avoid being told you're wrong. We're all being drawn into echo chambers and some of them are more warped than others.

I'll admit, when Trump was hospitalized I was paying attention to the twitter-space that was arguing he was in much worse shape than he was letting on: smuggling an oxygen tank under his jacket when boarding the plane to the hospital, suspicion that the videos he was posting about immediately getting back to Presidenting were filmed in advance, etc. Maybe the big difference between my trip into that echo chamber and the coiner chamber is that when Trump recovered, my interest in the story was over and I didn't carve out my own personality to fill in the empty space with more deranged conspiracy.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I feel like this is becoming a more pervasive problem as societal interaction moves ever more into social media space, where you can either passively or actively filter your interactions so you can avoid being told you're wrong. We're all being drawn into echo chambers and some of them are more warped than others.

I'll admit, when Trump was hospitalized I was paying attention to the twitter-space that was arguing he was in much worse shape than he was letting on: smuggling an oxygen tank under his jacket when boarding the plane to the hospital, suspicion that the videos he was posting about immediately getting back to Presidenting were filmed in advance, etc. Maybe the big difference between my trip into that echo chamber and the coiner chamber is that when Trump recovered, my interest in the story was over and I didn't carve out my own personality to fill in the empty space with more deranged conspiracy.

Um, many of those things actually happened. Trump recovering doesn’t retroactively make those things untrue…

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Um, many of those things actually happened. Trump recovering doesn’t retroactively make those things untrue…

It may not retroactively make them untrue, but after he recovered I wasn't particularly invested in it anymore. Ultimately I never saw any proof brought forward about any of it, and I've moved on with my life knowing I won't get confirmation on it one way or the other.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
who wants to break the news about Billy Mitchell to him

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Strong Sauce posted:

oh god. the verge is doing a "year of NFT" thing and wrote a bunch of articles. i wouldn't say they're pro NFT but they're also not really uh anti NFT?

i only read this one so far about nba top shot
https://www.theverge.com/23153620/nba-top-shot-nft-bored-ape-yacht-club

Lest we forget their interview with Keanu Reeves where the interviewer meekly defends the concept of "digital scarcity" while Keanu laughs in his face.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/11/22829383/matrix-nft-keanu-reeves-interview-carrie-ann-moss

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

quote:

but the emergence of software dramatically changed the profession of computer programming.

quote:

but the emergence of software dramatically changed the profession of computer programming.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Scratch Monkey posted:

Mitchell was a very early proponent of having an air power-centered navy. He famously demonstrated how a ship could be sunk by airplanes, which is pretty much how our navy has operated for the last 70 years. He also put his money where mouth was by leading the first retaliatory strike of WWII against the Japanese home islands in a bombers that took off from an aircraft carrier. This dude is saying "I am going to show the military that the future of war is the blockchain, and I will be proven correct by history"

still ate poo poo where it counts: on the donkey kong arcade machine

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Well yeah before that it was all clay jars and vacuum tubes and poo poo

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Cacator posted:

Lest we forget their interview with Keanu Reeves where the interviewer meekly defends the concept of "digital scarcity" while Keanu laughs in his face.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/11/22829383/matrix-nft-keanu-reeves-interview-carrie-ann-moss

i forgot how good this is

Keanu is generally a nice guy to everyone so seeing open contempt from him makes it even better

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

still ate poo poo where it counts: on the donkey kong arcade machine

also I'm embarrassingly wrong: it was Jimmy Doolittle flying a B-25 Mitchell, named after the aforementioned Billy Mitchell, who lead the raid on Tokyo in 1942. However, Mitchell did see the future of naval aviation. I'm not sure what either man's high score in Donkey Kong was, though

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

He also put his money where mouth was by leading the first retaliatory strike of WWII against the Japanese home islands in a bombers that took off from an aircraft carrier.

he did what?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

He jumped the gun a little bit but showed some initiative!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

See above

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Flowers for QAnon posted:

“Computers were a big invention that allowed programmers to create programs that output controlled electrical signals. This technology was so disruptive it caused society to classify hardware and software programming separately. This thesis presents a theory on the invention of non-physical tokens that require physical energy expenditure to create (such as bitcoin). This, the biggest invention ever, will enable conversion of physical war (and the cost of life) by humans into cyber warfare performed digitally. This could cause society to perceive physical warfare and cyber warfare as distinctly different. Software doesn't
replace the need for hardware, but the emergence of software dramatically changed the
profession of computer programming. By that same logic, cyber warfare doesn’t replace the need for physical war, but it could change the profession of “war”. The theory hypothesizes that creating non-physical tokens from real-world energy expenditure, and combing them with second-layer centralization (like the lightning network), and then adopting simple programs to facilitate payments and paywalls, will allow for software driven attacks based on who owns the most bitcoin. The physical cost of creating more bitcoin will make countering attacks from those who own the most bitcoin, untenable.”

Very big brane man

Edit: decided to do the whole thing

I think this thread finally found its Stimpire copypasta

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Interesting article. Some research showing what's long been suspected, that the vast majority of mining power is concentrated in a few entities. Mostly focused on the early years of bitcoin, but one interesting part is that at one point there was an entity controlling >50% of the mining power.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ouhei posted:

I work for a fairly boring enterprise company and 3 of my teammates left for crypto companies over the last 6 months and I sometimes wonder how they're doing. None of them seemed like true believers when they left, but who knows now.

I work for a tech finance startup and a few developers have left. Not because they think theres anything to crypto, but the money they get bribed with is huge.

Take the money in actual money and go back to whatever after the bubble bursts

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Spuckuk posted:

Take the money in actual money and go back to whatever after the bubble bursts

I can't help but think that this bubble bursting is going to take down the rest of the tech and financial sectors with it, and ultimately plunge us into recession. I wouldn't want to be on the job market when that happens.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I can't help but think that this bubble bursting is going to take down the rest of the tech and financial sectors with it, and ultimately plunge us into recession. I wouldn't want to be on the job market when that happens.

Tech is actually used to maintain things people both want (entertainment) and need (medicine, traffic/cargo) in real life, while finance sucks but is how other sectors get money for things. This bubble bursting might contract value, but it won't be the cause of any recessions (indeed it might resolve some elements of a recession, since resources stuck feeding mining clusters could then go to sectors that actually need those goods).

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Manzoon posted:

Still laughing that another true believer showed up again that probably wasn't seraph.

Revolutionary chipotle payment system hahaha.

And I'm still laughing at the smoothbrains in this forum thinking that they know anything about crypto. Especially the goof that hit me up with the "I work for the NSA and you text a lot", like he was 12.

Who is seraph? I avoided GBS like the plague back in the day, still appears to be cancer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait I’m confused I thought this was a bit

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

lol, I used to work for the DOD and have friends who work for the NSA. Seraph most certainly is a 'person of interest', as are a lot of coiners. This shouldn't really be a surprise, TBH.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

snotball007 posted:

And I'm still laughing at the smoothbrains in this forum thinking that they know anything about crypto. Especially the goof that hit me up with the "I work for the NSA and you text a lot", like he was 12.

Who is seraph? I avoided GBS like the plague back in the day, still appears to be cancer.

It literally does not matter if any of us know anything about crypto, you haven't demonstrated at all why Flexa is equal to or better than a normal credit or debit card despite your walls of text

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

snotball007 posted:

And I'm still laughing at the smoothbrains in this forum thinking that they know anything about crypto.

I don't know why anyone tries the "I'm actually laughing so hard right now" defense, it literally never works. If you were just laughing it all off, you wouldn't feel the need to come back and tell everyone about it. The best revenge is just being your super bad-rear end and ultra rich self and living the good life.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

snotball007 posted:

lol for sure

what are you buying at gamestop this christmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Knowing the same stale talking points to shill a shitcoin isn't the same as knowing crypto, hth