Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I don’t use slack. Maybe I should?

What armor mark are the Headhunters designed to work with? I actually really like III and IV and was hoping to use a mixture of them for different troop types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

lovestick posted:

Look at all these fuckin' guys!

Mjr Spag your bases are great.

Danke!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

What armor mark are the Headhunters designed to work with? I actually really like III and IV and was hoping to use a mixture of them for different troop types.

Most people can even install Slack themselves on their work computers, so it's proven to be a good tool for the SA 30k community to communicate/bullshit together outside of the 30k thread. Most of us have been involved with it for a good 4-5 years, if not longer, at this point, and have shared a lot of good times together, including some group trips to LVO and other worldwide travel. I highly recommend joining.

Looks like the Headhunter kit is actually "designed" for the BaC MkIV plastic kit, but would work totally fine on the new MkVI kit as well if that is easier/cheaper for you to find. Really, most of the models can be mixed together and look completely fine.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Headhunters have existed in the XXth ever since the days of the Ghost Legion, so anything from mkII to mkVI would be appropriate. The XXth don't really do strict unit formations of the 'congratulations on your promotion, here's your Headhunter armor' type.

(edit: I guess I should write my posts faster) If you're asking specifically about the resin kit, they're technically designed for the plastic mkIV kit, but would look good on any armor mark.

(We were talking about Lerneans earlier, but nobody mentioned their big rule - they're the only terminators to natively come with the Line tag! With Line being so rare on the traitor side, this is huge.)

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Doing my headhunters in mk.II armor.

And yeah the Lernaeans big but unexciting thing is they seem to be the only terminator unit with Line outside of RoWs.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

So I got a shipping notice from GW on the Heresy stuff I ordered. Given not the big box, but still transfers and stuff which were marked as available on the 18th.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

So I got a shipping notice from GW on the Heresy stuff I ordered. Given not the big box, but still transfers and stuff which were marked as available on the 18th.

I wouldn't be surprised with that, FW already had stock of those.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Broken Record Talk posted:

Most people can even install Slack themselves on their work computers,

That is the first good reason to use it over discord that I've seen.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Are Volkite weapons at least decent in the new edition? They look cool as hell and, being war crime weapons from the Dark Age of Technology, seem appropriate for Dark Angels.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So still spots are open for the Las Vegas Open. Do most people do the 3 day narrative or largely the Zone Mortalis stuff? I'd like to lock down what the hell I'll be doing and it will be my first time going

So tips from people who have gone would be greatly appreciated

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So still spots are open for the Las Vegas Open. Do most people do the 3 day narrative or largely the Zone Mortalis stuff? I'd like to lock down what the hell I'll be doing and it will be my first time going

So tips from people who have gone would be greatly appreciated

We run the 30k Zone Mortalis event. It's 90% people from this thread. So we're all going to be biased in saying: Come play with us.

We just play pick-up games and setup a bunch of nice tables and roll in hungover or whatever, it's very low stress compared to like fully organized play.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

We do ZM, that’s a manageable amount of stuff to fly with. Friday and Saturday are the main playing days, and we’ll usually spend the evenings moving into a sort of blind drunkenness.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I've been thinking long and hard about this. I'll probably break down and buy the new box, although I haven't played 30K since the start of quarantine.

I am undecided as to which Legion to build. Iron Hands, Ultras, and Space Woofs are contenders.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
"We" "run" the ZM event because after a couple of years of just showing up, stealing tables and playing ZM together we had to go legit. It's the most disorganised thing you'll ever pay money for.

(it's super good tho.)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
One of you with the crystal caves need to share the picture here.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Legion decision status: picking a new one every day still

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TTerrible posted:

It's the most disorganised thing you'll ever pay money for.

I mean I've eaten at chipotle.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Bored Online posted:

Hydra Dominatus, brother

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Gato The Elder posted:

Are Volkite weapons at least decent in the new edition? They look cool as hell and, being war crime weapons from the Dark Age of Technology, seem appropriate for Dark Angels.

As long as they aren't prohibitively expensive (Destroyers double-fisting Serpenta), they seem like a pretty good upgrade over bolters.

I'm debating real hard if I want to actually do a Destroyer unit with Serpenta and also the two units of Breachers I never finished with Chargers.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Here's today's legion(s) overview:

10th Legion: The Iron Hands

quote:

+ Legion Overview +
=============================================================================
Stoic, spiteful, and cold, the Iron Hands are a legion of space marine cyborgs from a mad max technoclan world of perpetual gloom. Originally one of the largest and most powerful conquering legions, they are decimated and driven insane by the death of their primarch at the start of the Horus Heresy. You’ll see cyborg archetypes in their aesthetic- robot limbs, cables, targeting lenses, etc, combined with layered armored plates, cogs, mechanicum elements, paired with blacks, whites, and cool metallic colors. They are often characteristized as wearing Mk3 armor backed by dreadnoughts and heavy armor. Despite being a less popular legion that gets crippled at the start of the conflict, the Iron Hands have interesting loyalist and traitor options and story exploits throughout most of the Heresy. If playing a very resilient army backed by tanks, robots, and hightech firepower seems cool, the Iron Hands may be worth looking into.

+ Edition Changes +
While there have been many reworks to legions in this new edition, the Iron Hands come out of it lightly touched. Introduced in the second book of the first edition of the game, an exceptional legion rule and solid RoW kept them relevant throughout the years. In 2.0, the Iron Hands play just the same, subtracting 1 strength from all ranged attacks made against them, except now without any drawbacks. You’ll miss out on some of their memorable special characters, like Tank Commander Orth, but will be pleased to know there are generally less restrictions on how they can play. Edition changes that enable you to apply the -1 S legion rule to your dreadnoughts, in an edition with very strong dreadnoughts, makes them tasty indeed.

+ Departmento Mathematica +
In the crunch, the Iron Tenth maintain their strong legion rule backed by excellent wargear, an excellent reaction, solid RoW, and some situationally useful unique units. This legion favors “high intensity” warfare on the tabletop just like their fluff. At their core, this makes them a defensive ranged legion, oriented towards winning firefights through attrition, with wargear, warlord traits, and unique units that emphasize this sort of play. Access to unique haywire ranged weapons makes them one of the best legions at hunting down enemy dreadnoughts and armor, by means of unique builds such as a dual haywire pistol Moritat (12 haywire shots? that’s gently caress you, Mr. Spartan!). Conversely, good access to battlesmith and their previously mentioned warlord trait makes them one of the premiere dreadnought legions, making T9 leviathans in Fury of the Ancients truly a scary experience. Immortals are stubborn leadership 10 breacher analogues rocking mid-range volkite guns and a 4+ FNP with the Company of Bitter Iron RoW. Gorgons are prototype terminators with stubborn and a 5+ FNP. Head of the Gorgon works as before, increasing the leadership of your troops while your tanks encircle the enemy from outflank. Worthy of mention are Iron Fathers (upgraded Preators who can repair vehicles, rock a FNP, and have a 3+ invulnerable save) who, paired with the right warlord trait, can make extremely tough deathstars.

What the Iron Hands excel at is staying power, which is something they can bring to almost any kind of list or type of warfare. Critically, they also don’t offer any unique offensive capabilities of their own besides haywire. This means that while they can take more punishment at range, they truly excel when built around core Legion units that enable them to project firepower down range. Mastery of the Iron Hands is in figuring out how to maximize your defensive advantages while still maintaining a strong offensive footprint.

5th Legion: White Scars

quote:

+ Legion Overview +
The White Scars are best known for being the ‘gotta go fast’ space mongol legion, favoring the use of fast bikes, bright colors, and hit and run tactics, led by a mighty Space Kahn. Because they kept to themselves before the heresy on the fringes of space, they’re characterized as wearing older armor and using more dated equipment. Eschewing dreadnoughts, they also ignored edicts from the emperor and are one of the few legions to maintain a core of psykers. Artistically, you’ll see various steppe people inspired features, from ciber falcons, to segmented plates on their unique terminators, to power glaves, to war trophies showing off their stereotypical ‘cultured savage’ side. Offering both loyalist and traitor options, on the tabletop they’re a less popular legion, but one to look into if you’re interested in going hard into highly mobile, aggressive, play.

+ Edition Changes +
As one of the later legions in 30k 1.0, the White Scars enjoyed stronger late edition rules and model support before support for the game waned. 30k 2.0 sees major, but familiar reworks to all their special units and rules. Missing are some of the unique units and special characters. There is a general streamlining here, but with notably less restrictions, opening up the Scars to new interesting ways to play. Major changes to bikes (now categorized as cavalry) and the addition of a movement characteristic compound this.

Like in the fluff, the LA(White Scars) rule is easy to overlook, but paired with good wargear, good special units, a strong reaction, and very good RoW, the Scars have a lot to offer players. At their core, the Scars are an aggressive, mid-range, brawler legion with a reaction that lets multiple units get in, or get out of, trouble. Without any overwhelming bonuses to shooting or melee, their game is more about positioning, whittling down enemies before engaging, exploiting vulnerable units, and avoiding enemy death stars. Their LA trait translates into more reliable charges, their wargear makes mid-range shooting more reliable, and their unique consul buffs or debuffs units. A predisposition to using cavalry, and the Chogorian Brotherhood RoW that makes them line troops, makes for lists that are very fast, can come into play from various types of reserve, and pack a surprising amount of firepower. On the flipside, the traitor Sagyar Mazan RoW is particularly strong within the cramped confines of zone mortalis or games that require a direct approach. There is no middle ground, however- either you’re going hard into fast moving cavalry or taking lots of hard to kill infantry that don’t give up points under any circumstances. The unique units reinforce this- Golden Keshig do well picking their fights and hunting hard targets, Kyzagan Speeders are T7 rending gunboats, and Ebon Keshig are resilient suicide melee terminators.

Unsurprisingly, the White Scars can do cavalry lists better than most everyone. Surprisingly, they can also make for some tough infantry heavy attrition lists. Their playstyle requires some finess, but it will reward you if you learn how to take advantage of the flexibility and reliability offered from their rules. In an edition with toned down artillery and a new movement characteristic, the White Scars are posed to do very well.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 7, 2022

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Bored Online posted:

Same with the starer box marines. I can't do beaky Death Guard. That just looks and sounds dumb to me.

I'm looking to print up suitable heads and shoulder pads for Death Guard in Zone Mortalis though

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Gato The Elder posted:

Volkite is in a pretty good place and costed well for most units- its a volume of fire weapon, where you go all-in or take none at all imo

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Same with the starer box marines. I can't do beaky Death Guard. That just looks and sounds dumb to me.

I'm looking to print up suitable heads and shoulder pads for Death Guard in Zone Mortalis though

I saw this one on twitter, looks fine to me:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Do loyalists that got saddled with the armor that the rest of the Legion hated :v:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

In addition to what Salynne posted, Beerdeer found this intensely sick nasty boi earlier which is a new plastic MK VI with a resin DG head from FW:

Beerdeer posted:

gently caress yeah
I think the MK VIs in general look excellent with a head swap/custom bits in general. I personally feel the beakies only work really well for a few chapters but I'm planning on stealing them and shoving them onto some Crimson Fists for nostalgia's sake.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Any monsterposter that doesn't want their beautiful, precious beakie heads can send 'em my way (this offer may or may not be genuine).. I'll give your unloved bitz a happy home.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Is there somewhere I can go to see what all the universal special rules (line, fleshbane etc.) do? I am used to data sheets and have only a small brain.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Is there somewhere I can go to see what all the universal special rules (line, fleshbane etc.) do? I am used to data sheets and have only a small brain.

There'll all be present in the main rulebook come the 18th, I'm not aware if there have been major changes to how USR's work so info on them from 7th may still be valid.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Here are today's legion(s) overview(s):

12th Legion: World Eaters

quote:

+ Legion Overview +
The quintessential violence incarnite melee combat legion. World Eaters are known for favoring borderline psychotic melee combat over everything else. The blood must flow. Their Legiones Astartes trait encourages charges, they can trade Chainswords for Chainaxes at no cost, their special units emphasize charging, and Khârn, their named character, remains an overwhelming melee choice. Angron, who needs no introduction, is a murderous duelist who can issue as many challenges as there are characters in combat. No more hiding apothecaries!

Aside from Chainaxes, the World Eaters are known for wearing MkII armor, distinctive twin crest helmets, spikey chestplates, and covering their armor in blood spatters. You’ll find a heavy metal, gladiatorial, aesthetic here- favoring chains, chainsaws, bare biceps, and gore that call back to Angron’s history of fighting on Nuceria before being found by the Emperor. Special weapon upgrades for units include exotic gladiatorial weapons like flails, twinned blades, and barbed whips. Brutal! In a game with so many options, the World Eaters have absolute clarity of purpose. Where other legions might try fancy tricks, deception, or elite units, the World Eaters thrive on throwing tons of bodies at opponents. Clog their guns with their wreckage and drag them into hell with you.

+ Edition Changes +
As one of the first legions with rules in the original Horus Heresy, the World Eaters suffered from rules that required several revisions. The new edition grounds them on equal footing with all others, with reworks and tweaks that maintain their edge in combat. The most major change is that World Eaters now get +1 Attack on the charge, regardless if it is disordered. Considering that all chain weapons now have the Shred special rule, World Eaters can now dish out more damage, more reliably, than ever before.

The World Eaters obviously lean into their combat prowess, with your overarching goal being getting into close combat. Rites of War exist to help you achieve this goal by either making your units faster, or by making them tougher. Strangely enough, this is a legion who wants to fight over objectives. Heart of the Legion, granting +1 to Feel No Pain on Despoiler Squads, coupled with a 5+ Feel No Pain provided by an apothecary, means your bloodthirsty Berserkers are surprisingly resilient. Did I mention they have 101 S5 attacks with shred on the charge? Jump Pack units deserve special mention here, as their ability to Deep Strike and charge on the same turn they come in gives them a lot of reach. Javelin Speeders are another interesting choice, as their deployment options, potent weaponry (Cyclone Missile Launchers offer an easy choice for pinning), ability to take Chainaxes, and the +1A from their Legiones Astartes rule means they can dish out a surprising amount of damage.

Another notable unit was introduced in an exemplary battle in the original Horus Heresy, representing veteran destroyer squads that also had access to the gladiatorial weapons normally restricted to characters and Rampagers. In this new edition, with overall reduced lethality and a plethora of 2 wound infantry models, this squad now provides potent anti-elite capabilities. Rad grenades reduce enemy toughness, which combined with a Meteor Flail, allows this unit to instantly kill opposing multiwound infantry. Not only that, but they’ll do it before your opponent gets a chance to strike back… and with more than 60 such attacks in a full squad, this option has a lot of potential against many different units.

Compared to other legions, the XIIth legion can run masses of basic infantry such as tactical squads and despoilers more easily, and more potently, than others. This results in some surprisingly flexibility, as your core troops can be effective without the reliance on RoW that could otherwise place restrictions on list creation.

8th Legion: Night Lords

quote:

+ Legion Overview +
The Night Lords are a legion best known for their use of terror tactics and an overwhelming application of force against their enemies. They show no mercy whatsoever, and eschew traditional legion tactics and strategy for maximum violence and bloodshed. It isn’t enough for the Night Lords to simply defeat their enemies; they must be utterly crushed and their desiccated corpses and body parts used as grisly trophies to instill fear in others.

At the outset of the heresy the Night Lords eagerly joined the traitors. Even before, the Night Lords’ methods were considered overly cruel and barbaric. Despite this, the Night Lords never fell to chaos during the heresy. They committed their unspeakable acts of violence only for their own enjoyment and twisted sense of justice. During the heresy, The Night Lords famously were a participant in the Drop Site Massacre on Istvaan V, and fought the Dark Angels in the Thramas Crusade in the galactic east. Outside of these two items they weren’t a major player in the rest of the conflict. In general, Night Lords are depicted as wearing all Mks of power armor; although Mk4 is the most common depiction. Thematically flayed skin, kill trophies, and skulls are popular, with bat, vampire, or death motifs. Their armor is colored midnight blue with bronze trim, usually with streaked lightning. They excel at infiltration and deep striking, and field large numbers of elite infantry.

+ Edition Changes +
In the new edition the character of the Night Lords remains close to that of their 1.0 rules. They have an excellent legion rule in A Talent for Murder that gives them bonuses to melee AND shooting if they outnumber the target unit, or if its pinned or falling back. Notably, this didn’t apply to shooting or pinned units in the previous edition. Their elite infantry is solid across the board with easy access to fear (which is now an aura!), pinning weapons, and infiltration. Terror Assault is still a really good Rite of War. This all comes at the loss of several unique characters, with only only Sevatar and Curze left standing (Rip my boy Nakrid).

Overall the Night Lords have come off very strong this edition. The LA(Night Lords) rule, A Talent For Murder, now also buffs shooting, opening up a lot of options and giving the 8th legion bonuses in every phase of the game. With fear now acting like a debuff aura, and leadership lower for all units across the board in HH2.0, the Night Lords come prepared with easy access to infiltration, making it trivial to force pinning checks on de-buffed enemies.

Terror squads and raptors both are very solid options. Terror squads have fear, access to good weapons, and infiltrate. Raptors are just as mean as before; but got bumped up to 2W. Contekar terminators are kind of the odd man out here; they’re expensive and have very short range guns. They do have deepstrike; so if you want to get them where you need them it is possible. They just don’t seem as good as the other 2 unique units.

The Night Lord’s unique legion reaction, The Better Part of Valor, is also very very good. When the opponent declares a charge against you. You get to fall back away from the charging unit. This has the ability to completely spoil whatever carefully laid plan your enemy has, or you could roll snake eyes and still die horribly. I’d write more words here but this is the Night Lords section and numbers are for nerd legions.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Finally a good legion!

I just finished up these lightning claw terminators:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Hixson posted:

Finally a good legion!

I just finished up these lightning claw terminators:

These are fantastic!

I took a silly cinematic shot of my Word Bearers:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hell, I wish my models looked that good up close

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Night Lords hand joke

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Just to expand on what ijyt has said, there will be USRs that are in the rulebook and other faction-relevant USRs in their respective books. If you aren't used to it it can be a bit clunky to start out with but once you absorb a bit of knowledge they become a really easy way to convey what a unit does. I mean, despite it having like twenty different names everyone just calls it Objective Secured in 9th and not whatever Verbs of the Nouns the army rule is.

The system does have a bit of a downside when you're starting out in that you can miss some rules interactions if you aren't paying attention, like how meltabombs interact with dreadnoughts. In the draft rules the profile for meltabombs aren't under grenades but "Miscellaneous and exotic weapons" in Liber Astartes/Hereticus. It shows it has Melee, Detonation, Unwieldy, Armourbane (Melee) and Instant Death. 4 of those rules are in the Rulebook while Detonation is in the Liber. It basically boils down to you getting a single S8 AP1 attack against a dread, building, vehicle automata, fortification or model that can't move that rolls 2d6 pick the highest for armour penetration or rerolls wounds against dreads and robots, and each wound causes Instant Death. However dreads that have the Atomantic Deflector rule (again in the Liber) that gives them an invulnerable save and counts any Instant Death wounds as D3 wounds instead.

It's always worth reading up on your gear and what the other guy is bringing so you can get across everything comfortably and not get blindsided when your expensive combat machine ends up only doing 2 wounds to a Contemptor and gets pulped in response.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It's so weird to see USR having to be defended this way even though it's how nearly every other miniatures games manages special rules and is obviously superior to whatever GW is doing with 40k and AoS

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
What 5 years of 8/9th edition 40k does to a player base

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not even 5 years, people were celebrating USR's going away in the 40K thread when 8th info was dropping and I couldn't understand it.

There's no logic that can convince me that 15 variations of Feel No Pain is better than... Feel No Pain.

The few games I played of 8th ended up being "my unit has X" - "what's X?" "it's Y from 7th".

Worst change ever.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
If I recall correctly, when GW first announced that 8th edition would do away with USRs and put all the relevant info on the datasheets, nobody foresaw all those units getting identical rules with different names. I mean, why would they? That’d be ridiculous. Likewise, it wasn’t apparent just how many rules would be offloaded from the datasheets that were gonna have “all” the rules in favor of putting them in the army rules overviews, because why would folks assume GW would eliminate USRs only to immediately reinvent them in all but name?

And then that enthusiasm for the version GW talked about before revealing all the details of its implementation just kinda carried forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Stephenls posted:

If I recall correctly, when GW first announced that 8th edition would do away with USRs and put all the relevant info on the datasheets, nobody foresaw all those units getting identical rules with different names. I mean, why would they? That’d be ridiculous. Likewise, it wasn’t apparent just how many rules would be offloaded from the datasheets that were gonna have “all” the rules in favor of putting them in the army rules overviews, because why would folks assume GW would eliminate USRs only to immediately reinvent them in all but name?

And then that enthusiasm for the version GW talked about before revealing all the details of its implementation just kinda carried forward.

I wish that they had just started putting the USRs on the datasheets. Keep it consistent and also eliminate the need to pull out the main rules if you forget how something works