Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ultimately it can't diminish what came before so if it sucks, whatever, but a story this grand in scope and long in the making deserves a chance to finish. And personally I think it has the opportunity to be a better tribute to Miura's legacy than uncerimoniously ending in the middle of a pivotable character scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I obviously can't speak for Miura, but I think I would personally feel quite honored if a group of people I trusted quite deeply and led by a peer who was also a dear friend I had known for decades took it upon themselves to finish a lifelong work as a tribute to me.

I'm sure there are artists that would prefer if their work died with them, but if that's truly how he felt I can't imagine they'd be going forward with this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I will watch his career with great interest.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

While I can't say I have 100% confidence (no-one can, obviously), I'm really glad the next-best person in the world and Miura's established team are finishing this. I'd rather have them try to do the envisioned finale justice than not try at all - and given how insanely well-planned almost the entirety of Berserk is, I think we'll get a good estimate of what the real deal would've been. Even if some of the details might be off, I have zero doubt that it will successfully carry on the spirit of Berserk.

More importantly, I hope for incredibly metal two-page spreads of Guts fighting incredibly designed monsters, while it continuously surprises me with the level of care and cleverness put into side characters and even simple fight scenes

That'd be neat

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

This is very good news.

If it's bad, whatever, we've got the Miura run and that's that, but Mori sounds like he knew Miura probably as well as it was ever possible to know him, and they appear to have a good amount of material to work with, so the chances of it being bad are reassuringly low.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Seafood posted:

Still don't know how I feel about this, but Kouji Mori's a respectable choice, given his and Miura's relationship. There's honestly no one else I'd trust.

To me it's just fanfiction. If it does great then gently caress yeah! great fanfiction is always nice. If it sucks then whatever, it was just fanfiction.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

To me it's just fanfiction. If it does great then gently caress yeah! great fanfiction is always nice. If it sucks then whatever, it was just fanfiction.

That seems very dismissive given how personal this is. Fanfiction is, well, what it is. Fiction made up by a fan.

That's not what this is.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if we can get chapters every other week like with Spy X Family.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Predicting that the heaviest point of contention will be any future plot twists -- the most contentious of which is almost guaranteed to be Guts and Casca's ultimate reckoning with Griffith, and to some extent with each other. This could happen in literally the very next chapter or hundreds of chapters from now, but whatever form it takes, and I do mean whatever form, it's bound to be heavy, and met with a bunch of "there's no way that's what Miura planned" backlash.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If/when the Idea of Evil is re-introduced the fandom is going to flip out.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I'm reminded of Good Omens, which was written in 1990 by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman (with most of the actual writing done by Pratchett). After Pratchett passed away in 2015, Gaiman refused to work on the miniseries adaptation until he received a posthumous letter from Pratchett telling him to do it anyway. He clearly poured his heart and soul into doing the adaptation justice as a tribute to his late friend, and it shows.

As mentioned above, Miura's best friend and team of hand-trained apprentices continuing and concluding the series in his honor is the most thematically appropriate thing that could possibly be done with Berserk, and I have faith that they'll do it right.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

trucutru posted:

lol this isn't even close to being fanfiction though

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well this is very optimistic news. I'm humbled to read it. As has been said Mori and the team of Miura's apprentices would be the best ones to do it.

There will be criticisms. There will be retrospectives in years to come that talk dismissively about how you can "really tell" when the Mori chapters start. You'll hear a lot of analysis from people who read the whole series in one sitting and never had to wait through the boat or the hiatuses, and say "Berserk is still a great series but the ending just couldn't withstand the trauma of MIura's passing."

And y'know what?

That's loving ok.

Because this is about a little bit more than just the narrative satisfaction of Guts making Griffith eat poo poo. This is about recognizing a man's life work and watching those closest to him seeing it through, and on that level alone it's a beautiful work of compassion, love, and yes struggle that does the thematic elements of Berserk proud regardless of whether or not it ends up on a shelf as a GOAT like we all not-so-secretly have hoped all these decades. And who knows it might still get there.

But I know that when I read it now... it'll be with a tenderness and respect for all those who chose to devote their time to seeing the project through.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

mind the walrus posted:

Well this is very optimistic news. I'm humbled to read it. As has been said Mori and the team of Miura's apprentices would be the best ones to do it.

There will be criticisms. There will be retrospectives in years to come that talk dismissively about how you can "really tell" when the Mori chapters start. You'll hear a lot of analysis from people who read the whole series in one sitting and never had to wait through the boat or the hiatuses, and say "Berserk is still a great series but the ending just couldn't withstand the trauma of MIura's passing."

And y'know what?

That's loving ok.

Because this is about a little bit more than just the narrative satisfaction of Guts making Griffith eat poo poo. This is about recognizing a man's life work and watching those closest to him seeing it through, and on that level alone it's a beautiful work of compassion, love, and yes struggle that does the thematic elements of Berserk proud regardless of whether or not it ends up on a shelf as a GOAT like we all not-so-secretly have hoped all these decades. And who knows it might still get there.

But I know that when I read it now... it'll be with a tenderness and respect for all those who chose to devote their time to seeing the project through.

:emptyquote:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Random but I remember reading that the fantastic-looking bluray release of the 97 series still hasnt come out in North America (but got a UK release?) and Media Blasters let the license lapse a decade ago? :psyduck: what the gently caress you idiots, get on that and release that poo poo

I have the rips as :filez: but I'd love to get an official release

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

trucutru posted:

Is it fan fiction if you have a team working on your work? They're just your "fans" amirite

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Ever since Miura passed I was hoping there were notes or an outline showing how the rest of the story was supposed to play out that would eventually reach the public. Getting the opportunity to actually read an "adaptation" of something to that effect by the people most qualified to do so is probably the best anyone could have hoped for. At the very least I know nobody else has the knowledge, imagination or skill to put it on paper any better.

Whatever comes of it, Miura's own work will not be diminished as a result.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

And y'know what?

That's loving ok.

:same:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I think I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about this.

Personally, I don't think people were going to be happy with how berserk ended no matter what; as in any actual ending it got. And now, with someone else at the helm, no matter how it ends the people who don't like it are going to argue that "Well, this isn't what Miura would have done". So it's a big whatever; if in any situation the ending of berserk probably wouldn't have lived up to the imagined hopes of most people, then I'd rather it at least get an ending by someone the creator trusted and valued as much as this guy - who seems to have understood Miura as much as he does.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Are guts and griffiths gonna fight

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
no they're gonna gently caress

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What is loving but a battle...

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
People will definitely turn on it if it isn't how they thought it should be, but let's just remember that a fairly loving recent chapter was mostly Isidro: Panty Raider. Miura was unquestionably a great talent, but I think it's worth keeping in mind that even the Berserk he would've produced probably would have had a bunch of head-scratchers and tonal shifts too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lucasar posted:

People will definitely turn on it if it isn't how they thought it should be, but let's just remember that a fairly loving recent chapter was mostly Isidro: Panty Raider. Miura was unquestionably a great talent, but I think it's worth keeping in mind that even the Berserk he would've produced probably would have had a bunch of head-scratchers and tonal shifts too.

Hell, don't forget the goddamn no bullshit prequel memes IN that chapter. Jar Jar Puck is canon

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Changing the subject a little bit: considering this will, for better or worse, mark the start of a new era for Berserk and also because the OP has been permabanned for a little under 2 years now, would it be a good idea to start a new thread and close this one off once the next chapter comes out?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

the OP has been permabanned for a little under 2 years now, would it be a good idea to start a new thread and close this one off once the next chapter comes out?

Uuuh...boy that is quite the rap sheet

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh poo poo I would have just thought they'd have gotten wrapped up in that stuff with the weird other thing Miura did

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

lezard_valeth posted:

What do you mean it can't be that ba--...:catstare:

I wouldn't mind a new thread if that works for everyone

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

lezard_valeth posted:

I wasn't going to bring that up because I assumed it was already common knowledge among thread regulars and because I was worried digging into someone's rap sheet was verging too much into posting about posters territory.

But, uh, yeah it is quite something alright.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

you'd think a guy named Weedlord Goku would be chill

mabels big day posted:

Are guts and griffiths gonna fight

I almost hope they don't.

Rather, I'd prefer it if it were Casca who gave Griffith a beatdown, with Guts' angle being "if I tried to summon up the anger and hatred again, no matter how much you absolutely deserve it, I'd fall off the wagon and be just a raging animal, so I'mma let the cold, disciplined lady kick your rear end around."

Mazed fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 8, 2022

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mazed posted:

Rather, I'd prefer it if it were Casca who gave Griffith a beatdown, with Guts' angle being "if I tried to summon up the anger and hatred again, no matter how much you absolutely deserve it, I'd fall off the wagon and be just a raging animal, so I'mma let the cold, disciplined lady kick your rear end around."

Guts puts Griffith into a camel clutch so that Casca can just keep punching Griffith in the face.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The last thread was over 300 pages, though I imagine after the forthcoming speculative infighting we'll reach a point where we need a new thread. :commissar:

Even if it is fanfic or friendfic, I hope it will convey some of the remaining notes about the story. The core message will likely be there but some of Miura's quirks and amusements will likely be gone; eg, I'm doubting there will be a chapter of roaming dick monsters; and, maybe they've assigned some of the team to uphold the tone; eg, perhaps one of them will be devoted to constantly asking "what would Puck do?".

So if Miura is Guts, who's Mori? Casca? Judeau? Puck? ... :ohdear: Griffith?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

It's a macabre joke but Gut's will to survive is so strong he even survives his author dying.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 8, 2022

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Death of the Author.

A new thread would be good but I wouldn't mind if we waited for the first official Mori-era chapter to hit.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

People are like "Is Guts and Griffith going to fight?" No. The entire point of this last chapter was the repeated "Hey he has no aggressive feelings towards the island so he's alright."

So when Griffith starts slaughtering everyone on the island and one of his victims asks him why, he can be like "When I kill someone. I don't feel -ANYTHING-."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

People are like "Is Guts and Griffith going to fight?" No. The entire point of this last chapter was the repeated "Hey he has no aggressive feelings towards the island so he's alright."

So when Griffith starts slaughtering everyone on the island and one of his victims asks him why, he can be like "When I kill someone. I don't feel -ANYTHING-."

While this is a joke, I do want to speculate that Guts and Casca's KID is the one who doesn't have any ill intent. Griffith is an evil piece of poo poo, but he wasn't the kid at the time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The kid and Griffith are two different entities who happen to share the same existence.

This was the genius of the last chapter, to me: the kid leaves Griffith vulnerable, but killing Griffith probably also kills the kid. Would Guts sacrifice the life of his own son to strike at his own worst enemy? That's already a painful premise, but then the knife twists: Griffith (and the God Hand) are up to no good, and even if Guts were to make peace with him on a personal level (he can't and won't, but if he could), he can't just ignore him either, lest the world as a whole get dragged down with him.

Guts needs to make a difficult choice in a circumstance where there's no choice to make. We're approaching peak suffering.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Burkion posted:

While this is a joke, I do want to speculate that Guts and Casca's KID is the one who doesn't have any ill intent. Griffith is an evil piece of poo poo, but he wasn't the kid at the time.

Griffith's final words are part of that foreshadowing though. "I had a vague sense of longing. But that too will soon disappear with a single tear."

He's not going to feel anything. He's emotionally dead inside. That got ripped out of him.

Edit: Griffith already gave up the game. He's vulnerable, and magic and magical knowledge is tied to his vulnerability. He sent one of his best generals to kill a dying witch in the middle of forest hundreds of miles away. They even are like "Why would Lord Griffith do this...?" to get the reader to ask that question too.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 8, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Elfheim was always on a timer. Remember that Griffith sent a gigantic hoard of apostles - including one of his top generals - to go kill Flora simply because her magic represented a potential threat to Griffith if she chose to actively oppose him. That was one dying witch hanging out in a forest: no way Griffith is gonna turn a blind eye to an entire island of magic users run by the queen of the elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Even without that angle, Griffith's whole deal was plunging the world into misery so only his kingdom, conveniently and uniquely free from strife, would draw people to it. Any peaceful settlement capable of holding its own without his consent can't be allowed to exist. Falconia must stand as the world's only refuge.