Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Gorson posted:

Lmao I just noticed how long the curb feelers peg scrapers are on the CB300R, which appear to be one solid piece? Nothing an angle grinder can't fix.

They’re just a little domed hex bolt. They’re definitely not huge or a solid piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those are literally nothing compared to the ones on the last gen fireblade, which were literally two inches long.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I also think Honda "neo retro" design or whatever they call it is the best of the bunch.

Did yall see the XSR900 restyle? (and redesign)

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I really hate the look of just about every bike Yamaha makes right now. I hear they're real nice but I just can't stand them aesthetically and it makes me sad.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Yamaha is the greeble king

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

I also think Honda "neo retro" design or whatever they call it is the best of the bunch.

Did yall see the XSR900 restyle? (and redesign)

seat BIG

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It seems Yamaha only ever spends design bucks on the R bikes, which are consistently cool looking.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I like that new XSR :shrug:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I would say I'm a Yamaha fanboy and I would also say most of their current models are ugly as fuuuuuuuuuuuck

The R bikes look decent-to-good. T7 looks fit for purpose. FJR gets a pass b/c it's looked the same for 15 years. The rest? :dogstare:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Also now I want a 916, thanks Slavvy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Yamaha is the greeble king

Nah. Kawasaki still rule that roost.

TheBacon posted:

Also now I want a 916, thanks Slavvy

Don't get a 916 they are archaic garbage.

Get a 996/998 instead.

E: actually wait no, get a 748 they are loving magical

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Slavvy posted:

My neighbour just got another 748 that's even nicer than his 'old' one. 3000km, 1 owner. I'm not jealous...at...all...

Not even a little bit.

Nope.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
a lot of modern bikes have so many odd angles and surfaces that they look like somebody already crashed them

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

Nah. Kawasaki still rule that roost.

Don't get a 916 they are archaic garbage.

Get a 996/998 instead.

I was already on the 996/998 train. Now I gotta look at 748s too? Gonna end up with 3 of the finest pieces of Italian finicky art in motion

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MSPain posted:

a lot of modern bikes have so many odd angles and surfaces that they look like somebody already crashed them

They look like a ship from Star Wars that’s had a bunch of panels ripped off. Like you look at it and think “hm, that looks like it was pretty cool and sleek before it got strafed and bounced through a canyon.”

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
it's like you're riding a gamer computer mouse

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Jazzzzz posted:

I would say I'm a Yamaha fanboy and I would also say most of their current models are ugly as fuuuuuuuuuuuck

The R bikes look decent-to-good. T7 looks fit for purpose. FJR gets a pass b/c it's looked the same for 15 years. The rest? :dogstare:

Same. And basically killed off entire parts of their lineup the last 4 years. The vstar line is just gone, and they don't seem interested in anything new or groundbreaking to develop.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Same. And basically killed off entire parts of their lineup the last 4 years. The vstar line is just gone, and they don't seem interested in anything new or groundbreaking to develop.

They're too busy winning MotoGP races and developing electric motors for Toyota while waiting for Toyota R&D to figure out solid state batteries so they can stick it in their electric motorcycles along with the motors they've been refining.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I notice they no longer list anything as a "cruiser" anymore. The Vstar 250 and Bolt are under "Sport Heritage" and the only other cruiserish bike they make is the Transcontinental.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There's a movement in some business to "get back to basics" and "focus on what you're good at". It's not necessarily a bad thing that they are dropping markets that aren't what the brand is about. Yamaha is primarily a technology and innovation company. Building and maintaining an entire brand of "heritage" motorcycles, and the cultivating a whole retrograde cruiser/retro thing kind of goes against what they're about. Even the styling on the XSR is retro as imagined by some cyberpunk nightmare. I kind of compare them to Ducati in a way. Yes they made the scrambler and the diavel, but both those bikes are firmly in the ouevre of what Ducati is as a brand. Looking at the bikes that are in Yamaha's lineup now, I can say that yeah, these are bikes that to me tell me what Yamaha is about. Oh they're ugly as sin, sure. But they're all a showcase of Yamahaness.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TheBacon posted:

I was already on the 996/998 train. Now I gotta look at 748s too? Gonna end up with 3 of the finest pieces of Italian finicky art in motion

Don't listen to slavvy, embrace austrian min/max fun. Get a 500 exc supermoto and ride it anywhere you want no matter what. Change the oil every 1k miles and be fine.

Finger Prince posted:

There's a movement in some business to "get back to basics" and "focus on what you're good at". It's not necessarily a bad thing that they are dropping markets that aren't what the brand is about. Yamaha is primarily a technology and innovation company. Building and maintaining an entire brand of "heritage" motorcycles, and the cultivating a whole retrograde cruiser/retro thing kind of goes against what they're about. Even the styling on the XSR is retro as imagined by some cyberpunk nightmare. I kind of compare them to Ducati in a way. Yes they made the scrambler and the diavel, but both those bikes are firmly in the ouevre of what Ducati is as a brand. Looking at the bikes that are in Yamaha's lineup now, I can say that yeah, these are bikes that to me tell me what Yamaha is about. Oh they're ugly as sin, sure. But they're all a showcase of Yamahaness.

I've been really wanting an mt07 for the last few months for no reason that I can really figure but here we are.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

builds character posted:

I've been really wanting an mt07 for the last few months for no reason that I can really figure but here we are.

They are good bikes. There's a reason why they are a top seller (and its not for looks)

I've loved mine since the day I got it in '18

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

builds character posted:

Don't listen to slavvy, embrace austrian min/max fun. Get a 500 exc supermoto and ride it anywhere you want no matter what. Change the oil every 1k miles and be fine.

Idk I am italian and an F1 fan. Pretty sure I am allergic to orange because of the Dutch connotations. Why crazy austrian when I could have italian passion?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

builds character posted:

You can't see the bike when you're power wheeling everywhere.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I had the 07 for a few years, it was a good ride, very good for lane splitting, good brakes you can do a stoppie pretty easily. I did them a few times emergency braking in LA traffic

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TheBacon posted:

Idk I am italian and an F1 fan. Pretty sure I am allergic to orange because of the Dutch connotations. Why crazy austrian when I could have italian passion?

Fortunately for you, KTM bought husqvarna from BMW and gasgas from near-bankruptcy so you can have your Ktm in orange, white or red, and Austrian, Swedish or Spanish.

Plus, ktm’s redbull representative is a colossal Australian who loves pies and apparently used to go on tinder in the bivouac in the middle of nowhere in the hope someone might be nearby. He’s basically the opposite of verstappen in every way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECcGSo28dmk

All I’m saying is that if you tire of pure, unadulterated Italian passione, there are options before you go straight to soulless appliance.

Carteret posted:

They are good bikes. There's a reason why they are a top seller (and its not for looks)

I've loved mine since the day I got it in '18

A MIRACLE posted:

I had the 07 for a few years, it was a good ride, very good for lane splitting, good brakes you can do a stoppie pretty easily. I did them a few times emergency braking in LA traffic

This is not helping.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

The MTs seem like they would be a great platform for doing what Honda does with the Rebel: ie take your Standard, lower the seat height, and add some cruiser styling for brokebrained weirdos like me who want to have their cake and eat it too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

[quote="builds character" post="524032631"]
There’s also just the right amount of power to slip the rear taking off at stop lights. Really fun bike. I sucked at canyon carving on it tho, SoCal back roads were completely terrifying back then. Most still are to an extent but I’ve been practicing trail braking a lot and it’s not so bad

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Finger Prince posted:

if they fixed the cat converter and how absolutely criminal it looks on most of their bikes look wise yamaha are amazing bikes. And they had some of the industry leading bikes for decades or bikes that were one of a kind for the market in many fields. Its just weird how they contracted as much as they have in the last 5ish years.

Mind you I do get why basically all of the big japanese bikes pulled out of the cruiser market, Its dominated by Harley and the market isnt expending enough to be really cost effective, sale wise they probably never made enough to justify the number of models they did sell. And Indian has been making waves at being the second major seller in that market, and with new EU regs it makes some sense. Just sucks, Yamaha are super dependable, super nice bikes and their bikes that innovate tend to be some of the most insane and fun ones on the market, and we have a family member that owns one of their dealerships so thats always been a positive.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

drat the xsr 900 is sooo nice looking

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Impromptu ride, with no traffic, sunset over the water. Best yet and the bike just keeps feeling better.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Took the bike around the amish county, just gliding along and enjoying life after dealing with terrible migraines the start of the week.

Was super nice to get out, rode like a dream. The bike really would love a 6th gear I feel though, but that would make it so the top speed definitely isnt the limited 130 mph it is. Only issue I had was I need to adjust the clutch I think, it needs to be pulled back a bit so it isnt as much of a reach and strains my hand, and I think the seats fine, I just have a bony rear end. otherwise god I love this bike

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 10, 2022

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

That bike looks magnificent :stwoon:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Literal dream bike, right there. The Valkyries are perfection on two wheels.

You truly are an individual of speed and class.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Those things are obscene. I really want to see one on the road. I sat on one at IMS a few years ago and it felt like sitting in a podracer. I really love that Honda keeps producing them.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 10, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That bike Fucks.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Those things are obscene. I really want to see one on the road. I sat on one at IMS a few years ago and it felt like sitting in a podracer. I really love that Honda keeps producing them.

The sad part is, they didn't sell very well because the people that would buy them the old Valkyrie owners refused to buy them because they looked different. Honda wanted to sell them to the Goldwing market, but it was to different and ran into the same problem you see with the harley riders, cant change things to much.

The funny thing? The younger market is the one that absolutely adores these things, the look alone drew me when I saw it in the dealer, and it is absolutely amazing to sit and ride on. The big coolers actually direct wind fairly well, and its so powerful you literally can get to 90 by the time you get off an overpass from a dead stop.

Bike is definitely a classic, and the definition of a muscle bike, with goldwing reliability alongside some added muscle to get you there in style.

They arent super rare, but if you look they can be found at dealers for 11k-14k it seems, and most have less then 10k on the odometer. They seem to either have tons of miles, or be under 10k on the odometer because people don't want to ride them. They are an absolute steal for the price, especially with how the market is.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That thing looks so cool!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a resident Goldwing Guy (that’s a dece gangtag by the way), that thing rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ok, how do I get that Suzuki gangtag?