Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Intruder posted:

I think it was just the Browns, Dolphins, Falcons and Panthers and all but the Browns bowed out early?

Those were the teams that offered enough for the Texans to be willing. Watson had eliminated the Browns early on till ya know they have him all the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

I think it was just the Browns, Dolphins, Falcons and Panthers and all but the Browns bowed out early?

Falcons and Panthers didn't bow out early, or if they did it must have been really late. I can't remember how big of a deal the Dolphins were so I dunno if they did or didn't. I do remember the Browns, Falcons, Panthers, and Saints being the front runners having made significant offers to try to get Watson and were the ones being most seriously considered by him and the Texans.

The Browns panicked after being eliminated from the Watson sweepstakes, finding out their QB had no interest in playing for them after they tried that, and a fan backlash at how stupid they were, so they double down and came back with the insane offer that Watson took.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wilderthanmild posted:

Falcons and Panthers didn't bow out early, or if they did it must have been really late. I can't remember how big of a deal the Dolphins were so I dunno if they did or didn't. I do remember the Browns, Falcons, Panthers, and Saints being the front runners having made significant offers to try to get Watson and were the ones being most seriously considered by him and the Texans.

Dolphins were in this weird quasi position where they were all in on him really early--before trading deadline last year early--but all the lawsuits would have to be settled or something before they'd move (per rumor, I'm sure Crazy will come in and remind me why this is bullshit but I think it was the widely reported version of events).

They did seem to get out early when they saw this wasn't going away from what I remember.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Did any of the assaults happen outside of Texas? Any chance he could still be charged in another locality?

Watson's from Georgia and went to Clemson. There's no way the behavior started in Texas. It might have only escalated there, but I have no doubt he had to being showing deviant behavior much earlier.

The Gainesville (GA) Times talked to his coaches when the accusations became public a year ago. They swore they didn't see anything. They also had what was then the top passer in state history. Gainesville coaches would have poked their eyes out to not see anything as long as Watson was their QB. Dabo Swinney was the same way at Clemson.

I assume Watson owns multiple houses in multiple areas. No doubt he'd be setting up massages there, too.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The only way I can see some legitimate charges coming back is if one of the masseuses recorded Watson's antics when he was at their private residence. Trick would be if Texas requires a 2-party consent for recording & I suspect Rusty Hardin would be able to get it tossed out.

I mean, the only reason Ray Rice faced any consequences is because TMZ was able to grab the security camera footage of him decking his fiancee.

In short, release the rub tape!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ayudo posted:

The Saints we're definitely in on Watson too. For one.

Yea, the Saints made a strong play for him and I’m extremely glad the Browns were stupid enough to offer him a fully guaranteed contract so I don’t have to watch him play for my team.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
On the plus side it’s pretty unlikely you’ll watch him play for any team at this point?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Adun posted:

On the plus side it’s pretty unlikely you’ll watch him play for any team at this point?

do not give me hope

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Android Apocalypse posted:

The only way I can see some legitimate charges coming back is if one of the masseuses recorded Watson's antics when he was at their private residence. Trick would be if Texas requires a 2-party consent for recording & I suspect Rusty Hardin would be able to get it tossed out.

I mean, the only reason Ray Rice faced any consequences is because TMZ was able to grab the security camera footage of him decking his fiancee.

In short, release the rub tape!

Texas does not require two party consent as long as the person recording is present

So you can record a conversation you're having but you can't set up a bug to spy on them for example

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

For gently caress's sake Browns you are the dumbest loving franchise for taking this on. You deserve every failure that comes from this.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1534307619095171077?s=21&t=_JWMlKtvcmqmDNvmRZKkIg

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Does he think that makes him look good? lol

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Texans might have pulled off the biggest ripoff in decades.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Now the rod wave I believe

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Is the next part where they wait for the Texans to deny knowledge about anything before releasing “Par 2: the Texans knew everything”?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Intruder posted:

shocked the browns haven't taken this tweet down yet, they're getting killed in the replies

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1534256387806507008

Gone. What was it

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Watson is such a piece of poo poo

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Gone. What was it

Mailbag begging for questions

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Has Andrew Berry or the Browns FO had anything to say other than poo poo like this?

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1532037604627079168

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

https://twitter.com/KatieJStrang/status/1534261097556869121/photo/1

I know, intellectually, that there are legitimate uses for NDAs out there. But my gut reaction every time I read a news story involving them is that those damned things need to be reigned in.

Reigned in? I’ve yet to hear the horrors of modern day NDAs

Grittybeard posted:

Dolphins were in this weird quasi position where they were all in on him really early--before trading deadline last year early--but all the lawsuits would have to be settled or something before they'd move (per rumor, I'm sure Crazy will come in and remind me why this is bullshit but I think it was the widely reported version of events).

They did seem to get out early when they saw this wasn't going away from what I remember.

As to thisssss who knows truly but the reports (Barry Jacksons) after all the dust settled were that Ross never called Watson. Watson kept pushing Miami because he really wanted to play for Flores (why? Unknown) and Flores really hated Tua from day 1 so it worked there. Grier and co reached out to Houston to discuss a trade in 2020 but the lawsuits scared Miami away. They opted to wait

Once Flores was gone the Watson to Miami stuff was dead.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 8, 2022

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Reigned in? I’ve yet to hear the horrors of modern day NDAs

Well duh no one's talking about it :v:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dango Bango posted:

Well duh no one's talking about it :v:

Lmao i was hoping someone would get it but drat sure didn’t expect it to be immediately. You quick witted Bastard!

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Is Deshaun Watson a massive piece of poo poo? The answer may surprise you!

The answer won't surprise you. :ssh:

It's yes.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I think you're all being very rude and unfair.

Pieces of poo poo deserve better than to be compared to Watson.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Pimpcasso posted:

Fold the browns and texans imo

Yes, and return to the alignment of six divisions of five teams each.

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 8, 2022

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I wanted the Chiefs to pick him in 2017. Dodged a bullet, there...

This also makes me wonder what–if anything–teams' own investigators turned up about him prior to that draft. This kind of thing could not have started after he went pro; guys like this always have an earlier history. There has to have been something out there.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Dr_Strangelove posted:

This also makes me wonder what–if anything–teams' own investigators turned up about him prior to that draft.

Probably a number of people willing to take a payoff and sign an NDA.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Dr_Strangelove posted:

This also makes me wonder what–if anything–teams' own investigators turned up about him prior to that draft. This kind of thing could not have started after he went pro; guys like this always have an earlier history. There has to have been something out there.

Doesn't look like it. Watson was generally predicted as a mid-to-late 1st round pick. Trubisky was rated much higher, with Watson and Mahomes further back. The first 4-5 picks in 2017 went as predicted by every site's mock draft. Somebody thought Watson might have a chance of being picked by the Bears, but the Bears were going to Bears. There wasn't any way they wouldn't pick Trubisky.

I have no doubt that he was up to bad things. Maybe not at that level yet - he still wasn't on NFL money - but there's no way he started two years ago and that severely.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 8, 2022

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol gently caress you Texans
https://twitter.com/jjones9/status/1534654837358575618

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lmao the NFL is somehow in an even bigger pile of poo poo than they were before.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
can't go back to rooting for this team even with watson off of it

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Two active lawsuits against the Texans lmao

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Here we gooooooooo

https://twitter.com/AmyDashTV/status/1534367139792048128

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Watson literally sexually assaulted a woman every day lol

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Based on how little the league seems to care, even now in the face of all this awful poo poo, I am guessing sexual misconduct is not an area they do a lot of background checking on pre draft. Or if they do, it’s not considered a big deal because hey it’s just a woman and she’s probably lying anyway

Remember when Matt Patricia was revealed to have gang raped someone and the Lions were apparently totally blindsided by it? My takeaway is that nobody is digging into this stuff at all from the league and team side. Because they don’t give a crap.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Docjowles posted:

Based on how little the league seems to care, even now in the face of all this awful poo poo, I am guessing sexual misconduct is not an area they do a lot of background checking on pre draft. Or if they do, it’s not considered a big deal because hey it’s just a woman and she’s probably lying anyway

Remember when Matt Patricia was revealed to have gang raped someone and the Lions were apparently totally blindsided by it? My takeaway is that nobody is digging into this stuff at all from the league and team side. Because they don’t give a crap.

Defector wrote a series of articles about the Bengals and Jackson Carman’s rape allegation and it basically boiled down to “we don’t want to know, so we don’t”. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of teams and the NFL itself adopt similar stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Its a league that has a team in the Commanders that had to use its owners wife to run cover for what they did to their cheerleaders, and the Ray Rice thing, and on and on and on. They scream to you every day that they don't care about women; of course they aren't doing pre-draft checking for that sort of thing. They will ask if your mom is a prostitute and does she still do drugs though.