Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You may want to have a Black Knight shield if you end needing a shield. I bring one every time to Friede, no matter the Build, because some attacks you can block and then punish her afterwards (proved you got enough stamina) but you want to dodge most attacks anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
In addition to being a pretty scenic fight, I feel like that Titanite Slab which drops after phase 2 is one of From's best efforts at trolling the player with a sentiment of false security.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

In addition to being a pretty scenic fight, I feel like that Titanite Slab which drops after phase 2 is one of From's best efforts at trolling the player with a sentiment of false security.

Please do not mock me getting trolled out of body form by that

Edit: Is 10 points of physical defense worth a hot goddamn at all? I've never stopped wearing the initial cleric's robes, but its in part because it doesn't seem like a lot

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Unless you plan on trading hits and wear super heavy armor, just go fashion souls.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

Got to Friede and I think I'll go do ringed city, instead, for now since thats the last part of the game I've not seen.

I'm also not built for dodge rolling as a person but Im trying to stick to no shielding and no summoning as long as I can so part of me wants some more stubborn attempts before I give up and start holding something infront of my face.

Ya I appreciate the advice but I don't summon or ever use shields. I am still stuck on her last phase, got close.

GloomMouse posted:

I find phase 2 more difficult than 3 tbh. Just something about Friede and Father that is a Ball at the same time gets me

Phase 2 is not too bad since Friede doesn't go crazy. I just keep an eye on Friede, wait for Father to finish his attack then u get 3-4 attacks on him before you can roll out.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Ulio posted:

Ya I appreciate the advice but I don't summon or ever use shields.

You're free to conquer a challenge run, but Gael is there for story reasons and doesn't even count in the code for boss HP or white sign soapstones. They probably made him optional for the challenge

The # of combatants being lopsided is an enormous advantage

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On one hand hell yeah DS2 gets a zone. On the other why the hell is it Earthen Peak?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's probably one of the few places with recognizable set pieces that fit nicely into an end of everything area without totally having to consume the zone with its appearance/gimmick. they probably didn't want to actually re-do an entire place from ds2 just so that you'd get what it was

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It just sticks out extra because DS2 is relegated to some dire callbacks so Earthen Peak getting a big nod is... weird.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Its probably just some dev's favorite level.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

WaltherFeng posted:

Its probably just some dev's favorite level.
yeah, miyazaki's

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Earthen Peak is probably one of my favorite zones in DS2, both versions. Its only real issue is the nonsense around lighting the windmill on fire, but outside of that, golden so Im genuinely happy to see it pop up again.

I think my favorite zone in DS3 is the Cathedral of the Deep?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Earthen Peak was also one of the more significant remnants of DS2's intended core visual identity. I forget the name of the art style, but IIRC it played into the Spanish-derived vibe just like the Lucatiel/Don Quixote stuff and so on.

I agree though that it feels a bit random and I wish there were more DS2 references in general. Was happy to find Lucatiel's gear, rolled my eyes at them bringing back the Desert Sorceress gear.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lucatiels gear meant more to me than siegwards stuff, I wish that had more fanfare.

Ok, Ringed City is a good DLC. Ariandel feels cramped and a lot of snow chambers with some mild rot. This is proper multistage stuff here.

I beat the Demon Prince while toxined, thank you for being a friend buddy

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think it's meant to feel random. It's the dregheap. Giant tumbled mess of the civilized world.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It ended up being dissappointing because you don't go into earthen peak. I love that dungeon.

Thankfully the next zone is pretty cool.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's a living nightmare. You can't really die. poo poo's turbofucked. Here's a windmill. Reality is collapsing in on you, maybe immolating yourself will fix it? You still can't die though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Earthen Peak fits in a way, because it feels like the part of DS2 that was hit hardest by the rushed final push out the door. It has a strange jumble of enemies in it: Desert Sorceresses?, Grave Wardens?, the poor Manikins who had to have their heads removed after the first cinematic trailer, etc. And then it has that notorious transition to Iron Keep everyone talked about. It's divisive and kind of messy, which is honestly emblematic of 2, and also slots nicely into the broken state of the end of time in that part of the Ringed City.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nuns with Guns posted:

Earthen Peak fits in a way, because it feels like the part of DS2 that was hit hardest by the rushed final push out the door. It has a strange jumble of enemies in it: Desert Sorceresses?, Grave Wardens?, the poor Manikins who had to have their heads removed after the first cinematic trailer, etc. And then it has that notorious transition to Iron Keep everyone talked about. It's divisive and kind of messy, which is honestly emblematic of 2, and also slots nicely into the broken state of the end of time in that part of the Ringed City.

All this is true but tbh, I think the biggest factor is that it’s a recognizable free-standing structure in a game that doesn’t have an awful lot of those. In part because its messy development meant the kind of stuff the other games deal in, where you see repeatedly see some structure rearing up from a distance and later make your way inside it, doesn’t really happen as often as the other games. Even when the windmill is on its side you can still pretty well see what it is. Could anyone really tell Heide’s Tower or Lost Bastille apart from the melted/smashed up Lothric Castle stuff that’s slightly higher up in the Dreg Heap?

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 5, 2022

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe drangleic castle if they put it kinda as a background thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its one of those "this bugs me in that DS3 way" but the reuse of Frampts chapel as a transition room in the DLC for no discernible reason was something I did not care for.

The locust dudes who yell stories at you are also a liiiittle dissapointing because they're all DS3 npc stories and frankly the DS3 quests it talks about are kind of half-baked

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Barudak posted:

Its one of those "this bugs me in that DS3 way" but the reuse of Frampts chapel as a transition room in the DLC for no discernible reason was something I did not care for.

The locust dudes who yell stories at you are also a liiiittle dissapointing because they're all DS3 npc stories and frankly the DS3 quests it talks about are kind of half-baked

It makes sense to me that you go down from DS3 level to DS2 level to DS1 level in the Dreg Heap. It doesn’t really have any connection to the boss they chose to put there though. The idea of Firelink Shrine having a secret basement leading to another zone was something that they wanted to have in DS1 originally. There’s still a half-finished cutscene in the files for it IIRC.

The locusts never go anywhere. Feels like a plot hook for something they didn’t finish.

skasion fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 6, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

skasion posted:

It makes sense to me that you go down from DS3 level to DS2 level to DS1 level in the Dreg Heap. It doesn’t really have any connection to the boss they chose to put there though. The idea of Firelink Shrine having a secret basement leading to another zone was something that they wanted to have in DS1 originally. There’s still a half-finished cutscene in the files for it IIRC.

I honestly hadn't even really thought of that before, that it's explicitly trying to be a progression back towards The Beginning. That said, I think where it breaks down for me is the excessive geography shift. Time and space crunch, sure, but "hey remember DS2?" -> annoying recycled cut content boss fight in a giant cave -> "hey remember DS1?" isn't the most elegant transition.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darkeater Midir is everything I don't like about a souls boss. Boring run to fight again, camera is a poo poo show, massive hp pool and resistances, and my favorite headbobbing means about 1/3rd of all my swings just whiff. Nope, don't care, you live in that hole forever.

The locust guys are clearly cut down a lot because the goshdarn head of one you can wear is like the most blunt item description about themes you get in one of these games.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i always assumed the locusts were a joke/good-natured ribbing about lore guys

Compulsive_Liar
May 24, 2004

Would I lie to you?
Pillbug
I'm making my way through DS3 for the first time after doing 1 & 2, but I've not had ps online before now so have never done any multiplayer. I've got it activated now but have some dumb questions.

I'm about level 60 ish and have just beaten the pontiff sulyvahn and got invaded a couple of times before and after which was fun even though i died pretty quickly. Is there any way to avoid losing my ember when i get killed or is that just how it goes? Anywhere to farm them?

Is there a specific covenant a lovely player should join? I don't really want to invade but don't really mind getting invaded.

If I summon another player for a boss, is there a downside for them? I'm pretty bad so if I die to a boss or do something dumb, does it gently caress them around or do they lose anything?

thanks

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Embers can be farmed from some enemies, like Lothric knights and Ringed knights (in the DLC). Not really worth it, since it's easier to get embers from doing coop.

Put down your coop sign outside a boss fog gate and help others defeat the boss. If you have reached Lothric castle, you can join the Sunbro covenant, and be a grossly incandescent golden phantom while earning embers from defeating bosses.

If you die while helping someone else, you don't lose anything, not even your embered state. The one summoning you gets a more difficult boss fight since the boss gains HP if there are phantoms involved.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Compulsive_Liar posted:

I'm about level 60 ish and have just beaten the pontiff sulyvahn and got invaded a couple of times before and after which was fun even though i died pretty quickly. Is there any way to avoid losing my ember when i get killed or is that just how it goes? Anywhere to farm them?

When you die your ember is gone, and while you're embered you're a candidate for invasion. That said after being invaded, win or lose, you can remain embered for about 15 mins before getting invaded again (unless you opt into it via Dried Finger). If you want sustainable ember income leave your summon sign by fog walls and help other players kill bosses in jolly co-op.

quote:

Is there a specific covenant a lovely player should join? I don't really want to invade but don't really mind getting invaded.

Way of the Blue will auto-summon Darkmoon players to help you repel invaders. For jolly co-op Sunlight Warriors is excellent.

quote:

If I summon another player for a boss, is there a downside for them? I'm pretty bad so if I die to a boss or do something dumb, does it gently caress them around or do they lose anything?
A summoned ally loses nothing on death, and they'll be rewarded with embers and their covenant token (if they're Sunbros) if you succeed in killing the boss. You're only ever doing those players a favor by recruiting them to dunk a boss.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 7, 2022

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finally beat Sister Friede, honestly so far in the whole game this has been the hardest boss for me(haven't faced Soul of Cinders or 2nd DLC bosses). . I took a week off because I was stuck on her for a couple of days. I feel like many of the human size bosses in this game she is way too easy to interrupt but unlike those bosses she has way more one shot abilities. The first phase is super annoying, yes you can throw knives but usually thats the point where you want to heal when she backs off so you have to make a choice. Dodging her grapple in this part is quite easy but I still couldn't tell if there is a pattern to where she jumps. It seemed random. The 2nd part is quite easy despite being a 1v2, because Friede is a lot more predictable in this phase than 1. I don't know what the optimal strategy is but I think most people just focus the father while drawing him away from Friede. Usually after 2-3 cycles of ice spells Friede will go for a heal where you can do a lot of dmg to her.

The final part of this fight was a complete pain and what made it the hardest for me. The dark/ice spells can both one shot you or 50% at least. She goes for multiple different grabs, all which seem to one hit ko. In close range she has a longer combo so it's much harder to dodge roll, even if you dodge roll unless you eating grass you won't have enough stamina to punish her back when she is done. She is still super easy to interuppt in this phase of the fight but she can one shot you or you can get stuck in a combo and die. I was gonna actually give up and try to figure out how to get Gael or wait for servers to come back. I beat Nameless King pretty easily like in 1-2 hour but I felt in that fight you could tell when it's your turn to attack. In this phase of Friede I could not tell when it's my time to attack. I eventually figured out the attack she has the most recovery for is the dash grab, she just stands and does nothing after that. I eventually just "cheesed" her by waiting for that attack only and playing from max range.

Anyway now I am going to do the 2nd dlc then go for Soul of Cinders. This was an extremely frustrating boss fight but also probably my favorite of DS3 with Nameless King being 2nd and Lothric 3rd.

Analytic Engine posted:

You're free to conquer a challenge run, but Gael is there for story reasons and doesn't even count in the code for boss HP or white sign soapstones. They probably made him optional for the challenge

The # of combatants being lopsided is an enormous advantage

I can usually never figure out how to get the summons or questlines done in these games, usually in my 2nd playthrough I follow guides for that. So I didn't see any summon signs but I probably would have only used in a 2nd run.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Gael’s summon sign is right there in the chapel, on the left side of the stairs down to Friede’s fog gate. You don’t even have to be embered to see it.

Gael joins the fight in phase two.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I knew I could count on Friede to smack you around a bit. I generally had more trouble with her first phase, once I figured out how to (semi-)consistently deal with her vanishing act I was able to get to the third in good enough shape.

You might consider fighting Soul of Cinder before Ringed City imo just cause that DLC's a pretty appropriate capstone to the series and its final boss is probably harder than SoC too. There's no problem continuing on after seeing the end cutscene, just don't accidentally start NG+ when you sit down at Firelink.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Friede is a cool fight, it just suffers from FromSoftitis with multi-phases making it an absolute slog to learn phase 3. Ideally, the game should have left her in Black Flame state once you reached it once, but I'm torn because it would have softened too much the impact of that Titanite Slab before the game goes :troll:. Since it's just an optional DLC boss gating zero content, it's probably the best location for that kind of fight.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
She gates earlier than right-before-the-end access to DLC2, which isn't nothing if you want to play with a weapon from there. I've considered doing an [x from ringed city] run once or twice but thought "that means beating Friede asap" and reconsidered lol

Compulsive_Liar
May 24, 2004

Would I lie to you?
Pillbug

Cheers, I will keep an eye out for player summons and maybe throw my own down to help out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dunno why the stubby lil legs on the primordial serpent statues make me laugh so much but I love em

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Honestly, it doesn't sound like you cheesed It sounds like you figured out the optimal/intended strategy for her third phase, seriously run away most of that fight and just dash in for pokes during the extremely safe openings

Pretty consistent way for me to beat her, unlike every other boss that I can be pretty aggressive with and dodge thru their timings etc

With freide phase 3 it's all about the hit and run

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Started this game a while back after only having played Elden Ring. I did not realize how many things about Elden Ring were taken straight from Dark Souls. Like, obviously I knew about the mechanics, but I assumed "corpses are just literally lying around everywhere" was going to be unique to that set-up. Now I know better.

The Crystal Sage is very annoying because this is not the kind of game where frantically reacting to five attacks at once is something I am set up to do.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Real Crystal sage casts purple magic. Fake ones cast blue.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

axolotl farmer posted:

Real Crystal sage casts purple magic. Fake ones cast blue.

That part is pretty obvious after a try or two; the hard part is that immediately upon hitting one I get slammed by magic from two of the others. They're hard to dodge because I can't see them all coming and one spell isn't stopped by blocking line-of-sight. Is there a tactic for avoiding them? Would a leather shield help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You can destroy the clones with one hit of anything and go slow like that, or you find the real one quick and ruuuush in, one or two hits, away again