Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Jiro posted:

It's not that I don't believe working in a refinery and welding for most of your adult life wouldn't do that. It's more of seeing other relatives that didn't do that line of work start cropping up with similar issues in their later years in life. But everyone that's working in a refinery is essentially slow death I believe, poo poo I see it whenever I drive into Corpus.

I guess it's a thing I was always more fixated on growing up as well, relatives complaining about skin issues, breathing issues and just putting two and two together when you see crop dusters fly low and just do their thing. The older folk talking about how kids would run after the crop duster planes in the fields and no one had the education that, doing that was going to be super loving bad for their health later on.

I get it, but I just don't think it's particularly likely. We've used a lot of horrible poo poo on crops, lots of it has been banned, but that doesn't stop the damage of previous exposure. But at some point, you have to just look around and realize there are probably greater contributors. Whether that's diesel exhaust fumes from being a mechanic, working with molded plastics, or literally any other industrial environment in this country, cancer is almost always a risk. And if it's not, some can still get you through hereditary poo poo. Pretty much everything bought and sold here now is a cancer risk.

I pretty much grew up on one set of my grandparents' farm. I detasseled corn and walked beans, had more than my share of exposure to poo poo kids shouldn't be near. That's been over two decades ago now, and if I were to blame my eventual cancers on that exposure as opposed to my pack and a half a day cigarette habit, people would probably think strangely of my thought pattern, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jiro posted:

What are exactly the hazards of welding when you're working at a refinery, I know that you need the shield to not get blinded, but what else? Is the metal and light intense enough for some kind of radiation poisoning, metallic fumes?

I figure this was the place to ask since that's all some kind of insane OSHA.

One of my grandfathers was a welder in Texas for Superior Oil / Mobil his entire life, and died in his early 70s of all the cancers. I'm certain it was the same reason as your uncle, working with carcinogens your entire life is really bad for your health.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do not click if you have a bug phobia:
:nms:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rd2nbhqJwU1r0uzl6.mp4
:nms:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well I didn't have one

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Jiro posted:

What are exactly the hazards of welding when you're working at a refinery, I know that you need the shield to not get blinded, but what else? Is the metal and light intense enough for some kind of radiation poisoning, metallic fumes?

Everything petrochem is extremely bad for humans to be around. From asbestos sprayed pipes to general carcinogens I would just assume working in that industry is what did it. Welding also has never been good (see "zinc shakes" just being a thing people shrug about) but I would assume he'd have respiratory issues specifically from welding.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Oh gently caress I'm going to regret this.

Edit: Gross. Sanitation / plumbers really do have a lovely job sometimes.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Just gonna toss a molotov down there and close the lid on ol Jerry, he's too far gone yup.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Hopefully Jerry found some loose corn for Ratty

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rd2nmtEhhy1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rd2lp14nfe1r0uzl6.mp4

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Brighline is a content goldmine for this thread. Just an endless series of news stories about cars getting hit at level crossings padded with quotes from Florida Men insisting on their right to cross the tracks regardless of the state of the crossing gates.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Seriously—I had to get surprisingly specific when googling for info on this particular Brightline collision.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Jiro posted:

Beyond just the day to day poo poo he was inhaling and touching while in one of those awful places, I'd probably guess he inhaled years worth of welding fumes. It's probably a safe bet that respiratory protection was not high on anyone's list back in that time frame.

What fumes he was inhaling would depend on the type of base metal he was welding and what that metal was coated in. For example, welding on stainless steel produces a poo poo ton of some nasty stuff called hexavalent chromium that is extremely carcinogenic.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

iroc.dis posted:

Beyond just the day to day poo poo he was inhaling and touching while in one of those awful places, I'd probably guess he inhaled years worth of welding fumes. It's probably a safe bet that respiratory protection was not high on anyone's list back in that time frame.

What fumes he was inhaling would depend on the type of base metal he was welding and what that metal was coated in. For example, welding on stainless steel produces a poo poo ton of some nasty stuff called hexavalent chromium that is extremely carcinogenic.

So I have my first cousin, my uncle's oldest son, that followed in his trade. What sort of respirators/proper gear should he be having as essential when on a job like that? Come to think of it I'm pretty sure I have a baby cousin that's working in the PNW doing some of that kind of work on wind farms up there.

I appreciate this thread for it's comedy and more so for it's knowledge especially when it comes to stuff like this. Thank y'all.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

All the welders I’ve known in my life never wore respirators. It would probably be hell in the kind of heat welders work in. They might wear them now though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Ubq4NOs.mp4

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
outboard overboard motor

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Look out here come my posts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rVTWsQ23Pk

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

oh no, coupons and deals is leaking.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ad8kux3.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Ozh8w4O.mp4
:munch:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Wearing a respirator in general sucks. Unless its cold and then it helps keep your face warm, but there probably isn't too much welding to be done in freezers.

I've heard the old saying: Welders don't retire, they die.

Also the bug phobia video, is that the one with the guy in the manhole and all the cockroaches?

Yeah, gently caress that poo poo.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

cartoon man, we saw both of these like last week or something.

despite that, i thought this one was a plane landing on a state route this time

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Jiro posted:

So I have my first cousin, my uncle's oldest son, that followed in his trade. What sort of respirators/proper gear should he be having as essential when on a job like that? Come to think of it I'm pretty sure I have a baby cousin that's working in the PNW doing some of that kind of work on wind farms up there.

I appreciate this thread for it's comedy and more so for it's knowledge especially when it comes to stuff like this. Thank y'all.

It's supposed to be his employer's responsibility to ensure a safe working environment and provide appropriate PPE, but unfortunately it's fairly common for welders to be ignored so they can just get the job done. Especially if they're working plant shutdowns and outages.

If feasible, local or area ventilation is an ok option to help remove the fumes and/or toxic gases. The next option is for the employee to wear a respirator. There are several types and probably the easiest way to break them down is into non-powered versus powered. Under non-powered, you have disposable half face (like the N95), reusable half face, and reusable full face. These are basically powered by your lungs. You're inhaling air that is being pulled through a filter. They are not comfortable to wear.

When it comes to powered, there is only a full face style and a hood style. These have a device that hangs off the back of your belt. The device has a fan that pulls air through a filter and then shoots it up a tube that runs up your back and connects to the back/top of the mask/hood. The clean air is then blown in front of your face. On a previous project, I had several welders that needed to use these so they could weld on stainless steel pipe. They are holy poo poo expensive. Like $1500-$3000 each. My guys loved them. They said the air getting blown on to them was cool so they stayed pretty comfortable.

There are also a bunch of different filters depending on what the hazard is (particulate, organic vapor, acid gas, etc).

Really it depends on what type of welding your cousin does, what sort of material he works with, what sort of environment he is in, and how much welding he actually does each day. There are a bunch of factors that go in to choosing a respirator so it's not really for me to say he should be using one versus another. If he has a company or plant safety representative (or better yet an industrial hygienist), they would be the one to help him make that determination.

This doesn't even get in to all of the different requirements that would be expected of his company if he did need to wear a respirator.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Load bearing teddy bear. Or perhaps guinea pig. Flip a coin.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/s1cNyOL.mp4

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

OSHA has no power here.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Roasted nuts, anyone?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

lmao at the goalie pads being worn backward.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Holy poo poo it's Ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJHOtSusJgs

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

KoRMaK posted:

cartoon man, we saw both of these like last week or something.

His gimmick seems to be reposting things from within the last page or two. Not sure if it's on purpose or if he just doesn't read the thread and uses it at a post dump. :shrug:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ChesterJT posted:

His gimmick seems to be reposting things from within the last page or two. Not sure if it's on purpose or if he just doesn't read the thread and uses it at a post dump. :shrug:

Be nice to Cartoon Man. Similarly to me, he browses Imgur and shares whatever OSHA-flavored content to be found there. I goof sometimes and share something that's been posted in the past few days, and I imagine he's prone to the same thing every now and then (especially since he posts about twice as much as I do).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

iroc.dis posted:

It's supposed to be his employer's responsibility to ensure a safe working environment and provide appropriate PPE, but unfortunately it's fairly common for welders to be ignored so they can just get the job done. Especially if they're working plant shutdowns and outages.

If feasible, local or area ventilation is an ok option to help remove the fumes and/or toxic gases. The next option is for the employee to wear a respirator. There are several types and probably the easiest way to break them down is into non-powered versus powered. Under non-powered, you have disposable half face (like the N95), reusable half face, and reusable full face. These are basically powered by your lungs. You're inhaling air that is being pulled through a filter. They are not comfortable to wear.

When it comes to powered, there is only a full face style and a hood style. These have a device that hangs off the back of your belt. The device has a fan that pulls air through a filter and then shoots it up a tube that runs up your back and connects to the back/top of the mask/hood. The clean air is then blown in front of your face. On a previous project, I had several welders that needed to use these so they could weld on stainless steel pipe. They are holy poo poo expensive. Like $1500-$3000 each. My guys loved them. They said the air getting blown on to them was cool so they stayed pretty comfortable.

There are also a bunch of different filters depending on what the hazard is (particulate, organic vapor, acid gas, etc).

Really it depends on what type of welding your cousin does, what sort of material he works with, what sort of environment he is in, and how much welding he actually does each day. There are a bunch of factors that go in to choosing a respirator so it's not really for me to say he should be using one versus another. If he has a company or plant safety representative (or better yet an industrial hygienist), they would be the one to help him make that determination.

This doesn't even get in to all of the different requirements that would be expected of his company if he did need to wear a respirator.

Powered air hoods are absolutely the current standard and if it is possible for them to be used, they should be used. They even have auto-darkening faceplates built in.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

A bowline is a crap knot in synthetic rope and will run on you in a heartbeat. A figure 8 is the superior knot and will hold that loop, even as your fat rear end drags that bucket over the edge...

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

How did you get this picture of my house?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/BlnhWjH.mp4

"Spring loaded to prevent arcs and an explosive short circuit. Suit is to protect from heat, sometimes they need almost bomb squad suits."

Edit: Why the suit is necessary safety equipment:

https://i.imgur.com/IEvi7sO.mp4

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/IEvi7sO.mp4

You think he'll be OK?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Just found reddit has a whole sub dedicated to stuff like that: https://www.reddit.com/r/Suislide/ - Uh, important edit - does not actually contain death or injury

https://i.imgur.com/dSSVrp0.mp4

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 8, 2022

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

I can imagine all those bored sea critters, swimming in the same tanks day after day, form unique and interesting grudges against each of the aquarium employees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Jiro posted:

It's not that I don't believe working in a refinery and welding for most of your adult life wouldn't do that. It's more of seeing other relatives that didn't do that line of work start cropping up with similar issues in their later years in life. But everyone that's working in a refinery is essentially slow death I believe, poo poo I see it whenever I drive into Corpus.

I guess it's a thing I was always more fixated on growing up as well, relatives complaining about skin issues, breathing issues and just putting two and two together when you see crop dusters fly low and just do their thing. The older folk talking about how kids would run after the crop duster planes in the fields and no one had the education doing that was going to be super loving bad for their health later on.
In general, long term continous exposure to any particulates is not particularly good.
Diesel fumes, oil fumes, wildfire smoke, burnpit smoke, ozone, silica dust, any of the numerous "zenes" (benezene or others)
Pesticides, fertilizers. Any fine particulates can really mess you up.

It could also depend on the... area or plant in question.
Like living downstream of the prevailing winds of a refinery would be an issue.
Or living near an area where the drinking water comes from a ground well near an older military base.

We've come quite a ways on the last 20-40 years, and particulates in general are getting more and more of a closer look.

Ground water quality is also getting a closer look as well. Because it turns out just dumping things onto and in the ground in the 1950s thru 1970s wasn't such a great idea either. Microplastics and PFASis the latest/greatest thing, but I expect we'll have to wait for more to come out on that.

Getting back to the topic of chromium. Good ventlilation at a minmum. And it's better to have routine monitoring and testing for exposure to those heavy metals. But it depends quite a lot on what you're welding, what process you're using, and your welding material.
https://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr770.pdf

Kith posted:

In the video with the arc flash, the suit is necessary because the outer cabinet is off and he's in the switchgear. In the arc flash range. Needs the suit.

In the second video... some places will make you wear the suit if racking in/out. However, I thought there were a few cabinets/panels/buses where it is designed to handle the arc blast. (The cabinets are essetnailly capable of being pressure retaining.) And in that case the Electrician may not have to wear a full moon suit.