Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr Hootington posted:

Post COIE Bruce Wayne inherited his money from weapons manufacturing lol

That's bizarre. Can't imagine that wasn't retconned or forgotten quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Mr Hootington posted:

Post COIE Bruce Wayne inherited his money from weapons manufacturing lol

He has to still be getting kickbacks from his super spy satalite system

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I...surprisingly really like this idea of Geo-Force just going apeshit and killing Deathstroke, for however long that's going to last. If there's anyone who deserves to do it, it's gotta be Brion, and if there's anyone who deserves it done to them, it's gotta be Slade.

As mentioned, this is his second time trying to kill Deathstroke, but this time it also involved him getting revenge on Talia for Leviathan blowing up.

Codependent Poster posted:

It didn't even last until the end of the next issue lol

Well it's definitely his body. It's not confirmed that he's piloting it given the weirdness that happened in his revival.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Jason Todd being a street teen was re-connect in like a year and a half before he was beaten to death.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I already posted this in the Comic Recommendations thread a little earlier:

I just finished the first Tom Taylor/Bruno Redondo Nightwing TPB, and it was outstanding. I like Dick Grayson as a character, but never followed the solo Nightwing book before. (I liked the era when he was acting as Batman, in Snyder's Black Mirror and then working as a mentor and big brother for Damian as Robin.)

But I recommend this book so highly to anyone who likes great, street-level superheroics. Not being overly familiar with any other Nightwing runs, it reminded me strongly of some of the better Daredevil comics I've read (specifically Mark Waid's mostly upbeat run) and the acclaimed Matt Fraction/David Aja Hawkeye series. Redondo is a master of his craft -- great layouts, dynamic action sequences, and brilliant, memorable covers with a terrific sense of design. His artwork reminded me a lot of Aja's, without looking like it on a surface level. Taylor writes Dick with so much empathy, heart, and humor. He might have been Bruce Wayne's oldest protege and son, but he didn't pick up any of Bruce's worst traits along the way.

I also cried while reading it... TWICE! Just teared up from sweet, happy, heartfelt moments. That is pretty rare when a comic hits me that way. I read the TPB through my public library's Hoopla e-book service, but I liked it enough to possibly buy a hard copy for myself, along with the following volumes as they come out. This and Far Sector are the best DC books I've read in a LONG TIME (but I have been trade-waiting on Human Target and Blue and Gold).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Jason Todd has now been shot 4 times in 6 issues post revamp of origin. The character was destined to die.

Batman is also somewhere between 32-35 in issue #574 post CoIE. Tompkins says it has been 25 years since she meet Bruce after his parents died.

He has to be about 40 when infinite crisis rolls around.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 6, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It is pretty funny that fans voted for him to die, very unique bit of comic history. Even though it was close.

Another voting thing was whether or not Savage Dragon married Rapture in the 90s, fans voted not to marry. I would've liked to see them married myself.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

It is pretty funny that fans voted for him to die, very unique bit of comic history. Even though it was close.

Another voting thing was whether or not Savage Dragon married Rapture in the 90s, fans voted not to marry. I would've liked to see them married myself.

I'm honestly not understanding the hate. The character is fine and has a distinct voice from Grayson. It is a real head scratcher.

It is weird that Jason was Robin for like 3 years before CoIE then that happened so they rewrote his origin and reintroduced him. In universe Jason was maybe Robin for a year before he died. Gordon also knows he is a different person and chastised batman saying he promised to not involve kids anymore. A lot of the stuff is weird around him, but Jason wasn't the problem. He is portrayed as a very bright, dedicated kid who at times is assertive, but not in a disrespecting way. The character is trying to love up to Grayson and prove himself to batman.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 7, 2022

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm honestly not understanding the hate. The character is fine and has a distinct voice from Grayson. It is a real head scratcher.

It is weird that Jason was Robin for like 3 years before CoIE then that happened so they rewrote his origin and reintroduced him. In universe Jason was maybe Robin for a year before he died. Gordon also knows he is a different person and chastised batman saying he promised to not involve kids anymore. A lot of the stuff is weird around him, but Jason wasn't the problem. He is portrayed as a very bright, dedicated kid who at times is assertive, but not in a disrespecting way. The character is trying to love up to Grayson and prove himself to batman.

From my memory of the time - and I didn't get involved in any online discussions at the time, this was 'talk around the comic shop' kinda talk, so take it with a huge grain of salt - there were basically two camps of people who voted to kill Jason. The first were reacting to some of his recent appearances where Jason was being portrayed as angrier and more headstrong - not quite murderous, but more than willing to let a bad guy fall to his death without trying to save them. There were definitely people who were rubbed the wrong way by that. But the second group didn't give a single poo poo about Jason Todd; they voted to kill him because they wanted to see what that would do to Batman. To them, it wasn't about Jason and whether he was loved or hated - it was that they wanted to see how that would affect Batman and what the creators would do with it.

EDIT: Oh right, I forgot the third group: people who thought the idea of Robin was dumb.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 7, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heavy Metal posted:

There was some lawyer in SoCal that got a robo dialer and spammed the Kill Jason 900 number a couple hundred times, which was more than the difference between the two options.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Frank Miller killed Jason first; voting for the death was voting for the DKR timeline.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It lead to Tim Drake so Jason did more good in death than he did in life.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey Dark Crisis 1 is out. Does anyone care?

Anyway, it was bad.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
But it’s DARK! The dc universe will never be the same!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

We talking like Infinite Crisis levels bad, Identity Crisis levels bad, Flashpoint levels bad, etc etc etc?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Aww, I didn't think it was that bad. It's just a little bit generic like a lot of the other Williamson multiverse entries so far. Go in with some reasonable expectations and it's just your standard DC comic book where Beast Boy gets capped in the face.

DC Pride had some decent entries and also canonizes asexual Connor Hawke! :parrot:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Aww, I didn't think it was that bad.

Beast Boy gets capped in the face.

loving LOL

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
In this issue a Titan dies

also the darkest part of this Dark Crisis is Deathstroke's truly awful new outfit

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 8, 2022

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Mohawk Deathstroke is phenomenally dumb

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gotta make him look like Joe Mangianello apparently

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So which side Crisis book looks like it'll be way better than the main event book?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Anyway, it was bad.

otoh

BrianWilly posted:

Aww, I didn't think it was that bad. It's just a little bit generic like a lot of the other Williamson multiverse entries so far. Go in with some reasonable expectations and it's just your standard DC comic book where Beast Boy gets capped in the face.

Beast Boy is probably fine as he should still be CyBeasy but with a glamour based on the last Teen Titans Academy issue. So it's probably someone else entirely. Unless they forgot about that which is possible.

Edit: Poison Ivy #1 is out right now and it's still in the "let's see where this is going" stage and hopefully it ends up with her with most of her powers (maybe not city destroying level any more, but still a bit of a ringer) and back with Harley.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 8, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

otoh

Beast Boy is probably fine as he should still be CyBeasy but with a glamour based on the last Teen Titans Academy issue. So it's probably someone else entirely. Unless they forgot about that which is possible.

I didn't read it but from all reviews it seems like everybody is trying their best to forget Teen Titans Academy happened.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

I didn't read it but from all reviews it seems like everybody is trying their best to forget Teen Titans Academy happened.

Isn't that what people have said about every Titans series for like a decade or more now?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

When does Risk show up again to lose another appendage?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Jiro posted:

So which side Crisis book looks like it'll be way better than the main event book?
The Flash one will for sure be. Jeremy Adams hasn't missed a beat yet with Wally.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jiro posted:

When does Risk show up again to lose another appendage?

Should just rename him the Black Knight

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

X-O posted:

Isn't that what people have said about every Titans series for like a decade or more now?

People have grudgingly come around on Teen Titans Go

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Aquaman Andromeda seems promising. I'm into horrors of the deep and Ram V has been doing good stuff lately. Art is nice too!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Anyway, it was bad.

I liked Adam knocking on the new Justice League Jon made.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

TwoPair posted:

In this issue a Titan dies

also the darkest part of this Dark Crisis is Deathstroke's truly awful new outfit

I like that the dude in the back got the memo about sleeveless trench coats

(who is that anyway?)

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

The weirdest part of Dark Crisis was the last few pages to me. Usually the first issue of something will have a hook, something crazy, make you really want to read more. We get … and I’m not even spoilering this Pariah who we’ve seen multiple times being crazy and the Justice League is quasi alive. What didn’t we already know from the past 2-3 series preparing us for this?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

I like that the dude in the back got the memo about sleeveless trench coats

(who is that anyway?)
He looks like what I kinda expect Count Vertigo to look like, so I assume that's him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

He looks like what I kinda expect Count Vertigo to look like, so I assume that's him.

Yeah, it's Vertigo. I think this is actually a redesign they did on him for the New 52 but it's just kind of stuck even though so much N52 has been undone. Probably because Count Vertigo is so low-tier not many people care how he looks.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, it's Vertigo. I think this is actually a redesign they did on him for the New 52 but it's just kind of stuck even though so much N52 has been undone. Probably because Count Vertigo is so low-tier not many people care how he looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sIYe74sczE

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Batman killing a man during a fit of rage.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr Hootington posted:

Batman killing a man during a fit of rage.

Shown here: John Constantine discovering the downside of a gun as a replacement for a magic wand.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Using my local library to catch up on Tom Kings batman run, and I just read the first issue of Jokes and Riddles. Am I missing something or is Riddler just walking out of jail after murking a cop because he knows the names of the other cops kids dumb as dogshit? I've liked this run so far quite a lot but that just seems lazy at best.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Tom King is probably a war criminal, so I tend to gloss over plot flaws in his books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Using my local library to catch up on Tom Kings batman run, and I just read the first issue of Jokes and Riddles. Am I missing something or is Riddler just walking out of jail after murking a cop because he knows the names of the other cops kids dumb as dogshit? I've liked this run so far quite a lot but that just seems lazy at best.

This best part of this arc is in has no relevance to the rest of the run at all.