Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

my cat is norris posted:

lol sharpiegate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it's the only useful imperial unit!!

Celcius is for losers and nerds.

Germansimp posted:

If you need some cooling, south Germany has some nice, compacted water they could send you:
https://twitter.com/trtworld/status/1534114694700613632

Where's the German lady from last year saying "these things aren't supposed to happen to white people?"

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raine posted:

phoenix (accuweather)

wake me up when we hit 120 imo

I visited Phoenix in February and it was super nice, citrus trees fruiting all over and a super pleasant climate for like half the year maybe?.

I could make a living there, too. But AZ is going to need a massive desalination plant on the Sea of Cortez to replace CO River water and lol i'm not betting on that.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

speaking of things out west trying up turns out the great salt lake isn't doing so great and if it dries up that'll be bad. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/07/climate/salt-lake-city-climate-disaster.html

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Germansimp posted:

If you need some cooling, south Germany has some nice, compacted water they could send you:
https://twitter.com/trtworld/status/1534114694700613632

why are they calling a hailstorm snow

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i wonder if a 2/3/4 stage evaporative cooler would be sustainable in phoenix. sure water is going to be an issue in the mid term but the alternative doomsday scenario is the east coast scalding swamp weather.

evaporative cooler assisted AC too.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Arizona is probably going to become a perpetual wet bulb event within a decade.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Stereotype posted:

lol no, pls google what a wet bulb is

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Stereotype posted:

pretty sure that would require humidity

in F

in C

danger zones:

stringless has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Jun 8, 2022

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Stereotype posted:

it's too dry. people back east just cant fathom how dry it is. it's like 105 out and i have my evaporative cooler running and it's 74 inside and it's relatively moist for phoenix right now (~45 ish dew point)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Stereotype posted:

no it's not, but it's not going to have potable water (or it'll be prohibitively expensive for the poors)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
okay fine jeez. Arizona will be unlivable within ten years.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

The important thing is that we can all agree that Arizona is doomed and I think we can take great comfort in that truth.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

TehSaurus posted:

The important thing is that we can all agree that Arizona is doomed and I think we can take great comfort in that truth.

all the shitheads that moved here from california and chicago are going to move back though

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

all anti arizona propaganda is great, please drive away all the loving morons that moved here in the last decade for some reason

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Can you even imagine? Voluntarily moving to Arizona in the last decade?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Atmospheric river forecast to hit southwestern B.C. Thursday through Saturday. The cool, wet winter and spring means we have a healthy snowpack in the mountains and unlike the last 10 years of "normal" it hasn't really started to melt off yet. Gaia's about to turn a firehose on it though so we might have some interesting flooding pictures by the end of the weekend.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

speaking of things out west trying up turns out the great salt lake isn't doing so great and if it dries up that'll be bad. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/07/climate/salt-lake-city-climate-disaster.html

Paywalled, what's the gist

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Stereotype posted:

hell, it'll be unlovable for a bunch of people this weekend

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

imagine a sandstorm, but it's arsenic

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FFT posted:

imagine a sandstorm, but it's arsenic

and 2.5 million people live there

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Hexigrammus posted:

Atmospheric river forecast to hit southwestern B.C. Thursday through Saturday. The cool, wet winter and spring means we have a healthy snowpack in the mountains and unlike the last 10 years of "normal" it hasn't really started to melt off yet. Gaia's about to turn a firehose on it though so we might have some interesting flooding pictures by the end of the weekend.

didn't this submerge every road out of vancouver when it happened last year

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://archive.ph/aj0Ac

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

didn't this submerge every road out of vancouver when it happened last year

Really depends on the severity of the atmospheric river. They're a fairly constant fact of life in the PNW but some are much more prominent than others, which motivated forecasters to adopt a rating scale not long ago.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Cat-1-Cat-5-Scale-Atmospheric-Rivers

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

hifi posted:

all the shitheads that moved here from california and chicago are going to move back though

naw, you can keep all those lovely suburbanite Cubs fans.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Real hurthling! posted:

and 2.5 million people live there

what if we covered the whole lakebed with a layer of plastic to keep the arsenic in

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Colin Mockery posted:

what if we covered the whole lakebed with a layer of plastic to keep the arsenic in

Hmm, some sort of massive tarp? Yes, yes that could just work!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Colin Mockery posted:

:effort:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Colin Mockery posted:

Plastic would weather to much. Definitely needs to be a thick layer of always protective asbestos.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If it can be 120⁰ in a place, there should not be a city

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Can't you just pave over it with asphalt or concrete?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

When even a couple Republicans are trying to do something about it, you know it's bad

Will people still be watering their lawns during arsenic storms

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Stereotype posted:

looks like you can have your arizona wet bulb if it hovers around 122F

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

redleader posted:

looks like you can have your arizona wet bulb if it hovers around 122F

the problem is that "wet bulb" infers some amount of moisture. a lot of it even.

but the reality is that what we are referring to more simply is "so hot you die." clearly that's a thing, it can be so hot that you will no longer continue to be alive. if you jumped in a volcano we can all agree that it will be so hot that you die. if we built a larger version of your kitchen oven and you were to go in it while cooking a giant pizza, you'd die. babies are often killed in cars, not just from all-to-frequent violent collisions, but also when parents absentmindedly forget them and the inside of the car gets so hot that they die.

there will be many places on the earth where it is routinely so hot that you die

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
one of them is arizona

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Stereotype posted:

there will be many places on the earth where it is routinely so hot that you die
well can we workshop a catchy euphemism for this at least?

“thermal insult”
“acute heat exchange”
“dry roast”

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"wet bulb" won the internet catchy euphemism contest already so good luck convincing everyone to say "critical temperature event" or whatever

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

You can have wet bulb events with low humidity if the heat index gets high enough.

Enfys has issued a correction as of 10:30 on Jul 14, 2022

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Enfys posted:

You can have wet bulb events with low humidity if the heat index gets high enough.

In 100% humidity, wet bulb is identical to the dry bulb (the air) temperature. You can still have wet bulb events with very low relative humidity, but it requires higher air temperatures.

very low relative humidity? doesn't sound so wet to me *dies from it being too hot*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

lol no, pls google what a wet bulb is

FFT posted:

pretty sure that would require humidity

in F

in C

danger zones:

phew. yeah. arizona will never see temps over 122 f, or run out of water.