Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

EthanSteele posted:

Are there any good non-blind Bloodstained or Hyperlight Drifter lps? If blind is all there is then I'll take it.
There's one of each on SA, but neither was archived. ChaosArgate showed off Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (NOT Ritual of the Night), and Bacter did Hyper Light Drifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I just finished watching a series of streams of The Witness by Cracking the Cryptic, who are less gamers and more, like, world-class puzzle-solvers (they have literally represented Britain in international sudoku tournaments).

a) This is a recommendation of that, and also their streams of Return of the Obra Dinn and Baba is You (the latter sadly incomplete), because it's good content and these guys are very savvy about puzzles (would you like to know how many attempts it took them to beat that one thing in The Witness? _7)

b) This is a request for similar content. I'm talking people who maybe aren't Gamer gamers coming at puzzle games and catching on quick, and ideally being good sports about it all. I want people who can make me feel like more of a moron than I did playing these games myself, which let me tell you was a whole lot of a moron.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 1, 2022

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

NGDBSS posted:

There's one of each on SA, but neither was archived. ChaosArgate showed off Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (NOT Ritual of the Night), and Bacter did Hyper Light Drifter.

Oo, thanks! I'm lookin for Ritual of the Night, but these are both good recommendations. You've got the same link for both, but I found the Bacter one.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'm ill, and want to distract myself from physical pain with the emotional sort.

Is there a good/non-terrible play-through of some classic 90s videogames by someone who was too young/ not born yet at the time? I'm thinking PS1/N64 era, but earlier would also be cool.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fedule posted:

I just finished watching a series of streams of The Witness by Cracking the Cryptic, who are less gamers and more, like, world-class puzzle-solvers (they have literally represented Britain in international sudoku tournaments).

I'd strongly recommend their Sudoku videos as well. They are amazing to watch. And in case that confuses anyone, they do a lot of variant sudoku puzzles, as opposed to strictly plain sudoku, which allows for a lot of very creative puzzles, and solutions.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Requesting My Time at Portia (available on PC, Switch, last-gen consoles, and I guess mobile? Only familiar with the PC version)

Its sequel was recently released on early access and got me thinking about the original. It's a charming game despite its rough spots and just about every LP of a Harvest Moon-style sim game I've seen has been good, so I imagine it would make for a good thread.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I would like to formally request an LP of updated YIIK

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Motion denied, once was more than enough. Continue, counsel.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Leal posted:

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Suggested rule: any calls for LPs of rejected games needs to come with an explanation at least one paragraph long of WHY.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

By popular demand posted:

Suggested rule: any calls for LPs of rejected games needs to come with an explanation at least one paragraph long of WHY.

I can only imagine what will be said about that terrible Pokemon-esque game. You know the one.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It will at least be more entertaining as a probe reason.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Leal posted:

Don't worry I got you. I've been suffering for the past month. More fun stuff to talk about including alpha/beta demos, my continued search for the third ending and what I think it really is, watching videos from YIIK's own "Lore master" in regards to the game's story and how everyone doesn't get it, and what the YIIK fanbase has been up to these past few years. (It's not good) It's a freaking YIIK buffet!

But I'm holding out for I.V. before beginning anything.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 14, 2022

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Leal posted:

SA bans for telling people to self harm, OP.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Combat Lobster posted:

Don't worry I got you. I've been suffering for the past month. More fun stuff to talk about including alpha/beta demos, my continued search for the third ending and what I think it really is, watching videos from YIIK's own "Lore master" in regards to the game's story and how everyone doesn't get it, and what the YIIK fanbase has been up to these past few years. (It's not good) It's a freaking YIIK buffet!

But I'm holding out for I.V. before beginning anything.

:sickos:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Can I ask for a run down of this Y2K poo poo?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
game bad, creator defends bad game as art

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Nea posted:

having said that someone should lp NEO: TWEWY game's good

I've seen a goon in the Discord server say they're working on it. If that falls through, I'll get to it eventually.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MythosDragon posted:

It inspired :actually: and I think that really sums up everything about it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

It inspired :actually: and I think that really sums up everything about it.

It also inspired :yiikes:, but that one doesn't get as much play outside of LP as :actually: does.

MythosDragon posted:

Read this thread. YIIK was a piece of poo poo indie RPG that wanted to be Earthbound, but meta, but what it actually wound up being was a long-winded pseudo-intellectual fart that went up its own rear end several times and was built around ghoulishly exploiting the mystery surrounding the death of a real person. Its creator(s) was a Dunning-Kreuger-powered ball of hubris that didn't take criticism well and they've spent the past two years basically rebuilding the game from scratch to try to patch in a proper story and an ending that makes sense time time which is coming... eventually.

It really sucked.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

And this one if you feel you can stomach a second helping, because I feel Diacorn and Modewondershot's genuine attempt to understand YIIK is worth mentioning, because their observations are the only reason why I can't discredit the dumb lore videos I've been suffering through. And I could go into it, hell I want to, but I don't wanna derail the thread. (And I don't want the YIIK fans finding this post and emailing me about it again.)

nine-gear crow posted:

Its creator(s) was a Dunning-Kreuger-powered ball of hubris that didn't take criticism well and they've spent the past two years basically rebuilding the game from scratch to try to patch in a proper story and an ending that makes sense time time which is coming... eventually.

To be fair to Ackk, they've been keeping their twitter active with updates, previews, and even live demos of the new update; so at the very least, poo poo is getting done. Also they're not really redoing the story, it's still gonna be more or less the same as before. Their aim with this overhaul is to make the story easier to understand, because as you could imagine, a number of players weren't really eager to do another playthrough after their first. Ackk wanted players to dig deeper after playing it a couple times and notice that the game had "Layers". (The lore master's words not mine.) Again, I don't wanna get into it until I go through with LPing YIIK.

Bullasorsa
Apr 25, 2008
Looking for a good video play through on Metro Exodus, anybody got recommendations? Preferably somebody who knows the game, not looking for blind ones.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I don't wanna. If I'm lping something it's finishing Chrono Cross, which is fun.

I'd hang out with Combat Lobster for an ep though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

GrandmaParty posted:

I don't wanna. If I'm lping something it's finishing Chrono Cross, which is fun.

I'd hang out with Combat Lobster for an ep though.

How about this, you do YIIKv2 and I'll do Arma

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Forget YIIKV2, just watch this dude's rewrite of the story about Alex's quest to save breakfast it's better for you.

Yiik Rewriit

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 18, 2022

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Hey guys, remember Fable? Wanna see me LP it?

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Been playing lots of Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw for PS4 lately and I’m having an absolute blast playing it (even if it is grindy as hell). I’d love to see a VLP of it to gauge what other people think of it. It’s basically if Firefly and Star Trek had a baby and that baby was raised by both Elite: Dangerous and Ace Combat.

TL;DR: I am requesting a VLP of Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw.

(PS: While I’m at it, I’m also going to ask for someone to do the original Rebel Galaxy as a VLP— I know that Jossar did an SSLP of it, but I feel that an SSLP really misses out of a lot of the nuance and flavor that a VLP can capture)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There was a series of VLPs I saw years ago (I don't think it was an SA-made LP) that covered each of the games in the Legacy of Kain series in order, that went really in-depth into the connections of each game, but, unlike other LPs that just infodump later plot points from the end five seconds after meeting a new character, they'd say 'remember that for later' and bring it up again once it made sense. They were really well done, almost closer to a podcast at times, given how much they went into things, and made a lot of sense of the, admittedly convoluted narrative. I know this is vague as hell, but does it sound familiar to anyone?

mujie
Mar 14, 2015
I reckon an SSLP of Medieval Cop might be cool

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

There was a series of VLPs I saw years ago (I don't think it was an SA-made LP) that covered each of the games in the Legacy of Kain series in order, that went really in-depth into the connections of each game, but, unlike other LPs that just infodump later plot points from the end five seconds after meeting a new character, they'd say 'remember that for later' and bring it up again once it made sense. They were really well done, almost closer to a podcast at times, given how much they went into things, and made a lot of sense of the, admittedly convoluted narrative. I know this is vague as hell, but does it sound familiar to anyone?

I only remember the series that was recorded by Alexeythegreat. But since I last watched it more than half a decade ago, I do not recall if it was as comprehensive as you describe.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjfE2Spxo-CIu4Vk3u1YvWQ/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=6

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm looking for a long and hopefully complete screenshot LP to read, in an effort to keep myself distracted from the news. Anyone got any recs? I'd like Pokemon romhacks, or stuff that gets into RPG mechanics. I'm going to guess without looking that I should reread OrangeFluffySheep's stuff - but what else is out there?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm looking for a long and hopefully complete screenshot LP to read, in an effort to keep myself distracted from the news. Anyone got any recs? I'd like Pokemon romhacks, or stuff that gets into RPG mechanics. I'm going to guess without looking that I should reread OrangeFluffySheep's stuff - but what else is out there?

My time to shine.

On the Archive the highlights are Anything Dark Id, White Knight Chronicles, Suikoden 5, and The Tokimeki Memorial LP.
The Fire Emblem LPs are probably the best for in depth play by plays.
And Crosspeice did the first 4 gens of Pokemon really well.

I can give a lowdown on solid ongoing ones too if necessary.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Have you read "Let's break Final Fantasy VI"? It's a hoot. And I will always recommend the, uh, culturally dated Ultima LPs. Nakar knew those games inside-out and I find them hilarious.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

My time to shine.

On the Archive the highlights are Anything Dark Id, White Knight Chronicles, Suikoden 5, and The Tokimeki Memorial LP.
The Fire Emblem LPs are probably the best for in depth play by plays.
And Crosspeice did the first 4 gens of Pokemon really well.

I can give a lowdown on solid ongoing ones too if necessary.

Dark Id - read
White Knight Chronicles - a Classic
Suikoden 5 - do you need to know anything about the previous games?
Tokimeki - looking for it now!

Fire Emblem - not up for these currently, nor Advance Wars, I want explicitly jrpg stuff

I'll look up Crosspeice!

Please share this lowdown, what should I be following? I'm currently actively watching Fate/extra, Warcraft Lore, and Shinji Programs a Robot.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Have you read "Let's break Final Fantasy VI"? It's a hoot. And I will always recommend the, uh, culturally dated Ultima LPs. Nakar knew those games inside-out and I find them hilarious.

I LOVE that LP! And I need to revisit the Ultima ones, it's been years since I read 'em all. Good, good stuff.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

It's not quite complete yet, but you might enjoy my Bug Fables LP.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyone got any recs? I'd like Pokemon romhacks, or stuff that gets into RPG mechanics. I'm going to guess without looking that I should reread OrangeFluffySheep's stuff - but what else is out there?

There's always DoubleNegative's Pokemon Insurgence LP. It's definitely a Pokemon romhack but the world it's set in isn't the best for positive escapism.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

StrixNebulosa posted:

No. The Suikoden games are all set in the same world and they share a lot of mechanics and themes, but in terms of plot 4 and 5 are pretty standalone. There are bonuses for people who know the previous entries but nothing essential.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I remember being fascinated by Nakar's LP of 7th Saga a weird little game with some utterly baffling localization decisions.

the Avalon Code LP is another great look into the enormity of wasted potential.

I second Explopyro's Bug Fables LP too! It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fire Emblem - not up for these currently, nor Advance Wars, I want explicitly jrpg stuff

Please share this lowdown, what should I be following? I'm currently actively watching Fate/extra, Warcraft Lore, and Shinji Programs a Robot.

Nah, Suikoden is from the Era of RPGs where even if they were connected it was always minor. Specified 5 cuz its both the best entry and the best LP of the bunch, 4 has a solid LP by Vilk too. And 3 has a sadly unfinished LP hiding around here, and I dont remember the quality of the 1 and 2 LPS, but two of the best games on PS1.
Huh, didnt know a metric by which Fire Emblem wasnt an RPG existed.

For things on the archive it was a highlights reel, but for on the forum it's just a quick list of stuff.

Growlanser 4 by Psychoknight, essentially finished but he might come back to do extra stuff.
Tactics Ogre by tithin and waah for many years but still trucking.
Dragon Quest 9 by Epicmissingno for years but still trucking.
Bravely Default Second by Faillen Angel, Always fun to see Jobs the RPG, been following this myself even though I have a moral dilemma with the game
A Dark Id LP you might have missed, a shockingly good game too, disclaimer that all of Id's LP videos have been deleted though
A complete Tales of Berseria LP that will go into Zesteria Shortly by Slyphid
Since OFS was mentioned, here's a gameplay focused LP of a FFT Mod by Rosalie_A

Those are the ones I've atleast peeked that have done stuff recently.

Bonus, We have a complete Heavensward LP of FF14, and a 90% complete but sadly abandoned LP of ARR, if that tickles your fancy at all. Havnt peeked them myself, but I can confirm that ff14 has the best FF story by this point as a player myself that finally hit Heaven after 3 years lol. I'll grab links if you want em.