Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Is the whole mob/corruption thing still that big of a deal in Chicago? Did it do serious lasting damage?

I swear that town is like the Florida of the Midwest. What is in the water over there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ASAPI posted:

I swear that town is like the Florida of the Midwest. What is in the water over there?

Agricultural run off.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Maybe she went on vacation in Japan for a couple weeks

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
That's almost, not quite, but almost as bad as throwing kids in cages.

gently caress it, neither major party is interested in preserving civil liberties. Let's just end the Rebublic now. It's over, folks.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ASAPI posted:

Is the whole mob/corruption thing still that big of a deal in Chicago? Did it do serious lasting damage?

There’s still a machine politics vibe to the city (less so than maybe 2 decades ago). It’s structural and would take overhauling all of Chicago city government to uproot.

She’s just a terrible mayor, we all hate her, and she has absolutely terrible political instincts. (She’s essentially the Kyrsten Sinema of the Midwest)

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Reminder: the Chicago PD ran honest-to-god black sites where they would disappear suspects into.

Liberals swinging over to the "tough on crime" side is an ugly and disheartening thing to watch. Oh well, nothing that more blind trust and truckloads full of cash to the police can't fix!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
welp

https://twitter.com/whatchidid/status/1534367096720740352?t=8HMqI-lA4QjkDPE78cba5A&s=19

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://news.sky.com/story/army-troops-face-military-investigation-after-being-filmed-in-orgy-at-merville-barracks-12629831

I mean truly let those among us who have never had an orgy in the barracks cast the first stone.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Elendil004 posted:

https://news.sky.com/story/army-troops-face-military-investigation-after-being-filmed-in-orgy-at-merville-barracks-12629831

I mean truly let those among us who have never had an orgy in the barracks cast the first stone.

What are they investigating if everything was consensual? The fact the film leaked out is the only thing really hosed about it.

Hey chief I’m going into the bathroom with the tapes to furiously investigate this horrible crime for another 15 minutes.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 8, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Typical military, young troops independently undertake a team building event and are punished for it

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I think they're mad a woman got snuck on base for sex.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Elendil004 posted:

I think they're mad a woman got snuck on base for sex.

Angry at their comrades for succeeding. Typical crab bucket mentality

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitter.com/Salon/status/1534492220354609153?t=ZIlCyvMAsJfmSO7CjHfADA&s=19

Damn4Real?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think they needed to workshop that one a bit more

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The title is peak Beto liberal energy

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

In trying to figure out if they meant it saved lives because black people couldnt get guns or just that there was a measure of gun control from just the headline

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Other stories they could write that are technically accurate but tone deaf as gently caress:

“America wouldn’t be so rich or big if not for the genocide and Manifest Destiny!”

“You wouldn’t have that great new husband if I hadn’t got drunk and cheated on every business trip!” -Divorced Dad

Or you know, they could make the point that Cali gun laws probably reduce gun deaths while also noting that those laws were not due to smug liberal wisdom but born of racist fear and status quo control without such a clickbait offensive headline.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stravag posted:

In trying to figure out if they meant it saved lives because black people couldnt get guns or just that there was a measure of gun control from just the headline

If you read it, the facts aren’t all awful, just the tone, and plenty of correlation vs causation problems.

California and other states with high levels of gun control have average to lower than average gun deaths (Cali is well below national average).

So it’s more that when racists freaked out and passed gun control that applied to everyone, the unintended long term consequence was that overall less people died from firearms per capita in Cali compared to other states.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The main grossness for me is that the title implies an equivalence between an organized group of poor black men arming themselves in response to specific acts of armed violence from the state or vigilantes, compared to mostly white middle class men magdumping into kindergartners because they want an epic high score after the stress of their Mickey D’s order being wrong broke their brain.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

Other stories they could write that are technically accurate but tone deaf as gently caress:

“America wouldn’t be so rich or big if not for the genocide and Manifest Destiny!”

“You wouldn’t have that great new husband if I hadn’t got drunk and cheated on every business trip!” -Divorced Dad

Or you know, they could make the point that Cali gun laws probably reduce gun deaths while also noting that those laws were not due to smug liberal wisdom but born of racist fear and status quo control without such a clickbait offensive headline.

Or, you know, they could say that having some of the strictest gun laws in the nation that have been made stricter and stricter every few years for the last 4 decades hasn't stopped mass shootings or gang violence there.

Oh let's pass an AWB. 10 years later. Oh no the gun companies are complying with the law, that's a loophole, *poof* made it stricter. Oh no, people are using a bullet button. *poof* now its stricter. Oh you know that poo poo you had that we said we'd let you keep? Now you have to register it or become a felon. Oh and those magazines are now a felony each.

And on and on it goes. It is literally never enough for them. NY, CA, NJ - they don't stop. NY passed an exact copy of the federal 1994 AWB in 2000. It wasn't enough for them. After Sandy Hook, which didn't even occur in NY, Cuomo passed the SAFE Act, which made millions of NYers felons overnight. Those pre-ban magazines they had, that they had paid a 300-500% premium for since they were made before 1994? Yeah now get rid of them or you're a felon. And now we have more useless poo poo being passed by assholes who don't know what the gently caress a chamber is, what a .22 is, or that the term "body vest" doesn't mean anything.

gently caress idiotic gun control.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 8, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bored As gently caress posted:

Or, you know, they could say that having some of the strictest gun laws in the nation that have been made stricter and stricter every few years for the last 4 decades hasn't stopped mass shootings or gang violence there.

A lot to unpack there, and it seems to imply California crime rates have not gone down since the 1980s, which is just false. You’d do better to limit the scope of the claim to maybe lone wolf mass shooters versus saying there has been no change in California gang violence from 1982-2022.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
You're claiming that the reduction in violence, which literally happened across the U.S. after the height of the crack epidemic, was specifically reduced in CA by their strict gun laws? How did those CA gun laws reduce violence in other states with similar reductions in crime?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bored As gently caress posted:

You're claiming that the reduction in violence, which literally happened across the U.S. after the height of the crack epidemic, was specifically reduced in CA by their strict gun laws? How did those CA gun laws reduce violence in other states with similar reductions in crime?

No, you are putting a lot of words in my mouth. I am pointing out that you argued above without evidence that California gun laws did not have any impact on California gang violence for the past 40 years. I am not making the claims you made above.

But since you bring up California rates versus the US, Cali went from well above national average murder rate in the 1980s to below the national average murder rates in 2020s. In 2020, California’s overall violent crime rate was lower than any time since 1960 (and 1960 may as well be a different planet).

So California’s trend line does not 1:1 follow the national trend line.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Things like the AR pistol trend are an obviously disingenuous run around gun laws and should have been slapped down immediately, but it wasn't and now you've got a bunch of assholes with illegal SBRs crying that they'll murder anyone who tries to take their weapons away.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
And me worried about the rioting white cops enforcing the white lib gun laws on minority communities while people are happy a 2% drop in stochastic terrorism lines up on state and county lines:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cugel the Clever posted:

Things like the AR pistol trend are an obviously disingenuous run around gun laws and should have been slapped down immediately, but it wasn't and now you've got a bunch of assholes with illegal SBRs crying that they'll murder anyone who tries to take their weapons away.

Still not sure how they hosed up “a pistol may only have its magazine in the handle” not be part of the law.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Still not sure how they hosed up “a pistol may only have its magazine in the handle” not be part of the law.

But what about those rad .22lr marksman pistols?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Gun Control is hosed because no one who knew anything was involved in drafting legislation, the only 'effective' legislation disenfranchises the poor, and it became an emotional cross to crucify 'oUr RiGhTs' upon.

If people who knew things about gun, crimes, and the human factor the feeds the machine- and WASN'T making money off the system ever sat in the same loving room- much less developed real, working legislation- it would be akin to getting a handjob from Jesus on OAN.

E- example- if they compromised on the NFA a little, they could have gotten everyone to bend over backwards to pass UBC. It would have been a win/win. But at some point, both sides decided no olive branches to the enemy, no matter how small

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 8, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elendil004 posted:

While not a proper orgy, can someone repost that hilarious Marine story about a guy doing watch duty?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Marshal Prolapse posted:

While not a proper orgy, can someone repost that hilarious Marine story about a guy doing watch duty?

:justpost:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Deleted, what did this say? I assume by the reactions ITT it was something racist.

edit:

gotchu fam

FrozenVent posted:

Schneider posted:

Duty sucks, gently caress duty.

This thread is now about funny or hosed up duty stories.

Once upon a Saturday night, I was touring my post as any squared away DNCO should do when I heard a noise, a very particular noise, coming from one of my grandboot's rooms. His door was ajar and the noise coming from within sounded suspiciously like a female getting smashed out. A FEMALE, WHO WAS NOT PROPERLY CHECKED IN WITH THE DUTY NCO, IN MY BARRACKS? gently caress. NO. Why do I even care about this, you ask? I guess I'm just a prick. I guess it pisses me off that some dumbass 18 year old PFC is bringing his little teenage tramps back to the barracks to smash them out while I'm walking around the barracks with a loving logbook under my arm yelling at idiots to pick up their cigarette butts. Additionally, I didn't like this particular Marine.. he was kind of a turd and sucked at life and whined a lot.

My mind raced, scrambling to find the most absurd and offensive insults I could muster as I prepared to kick the door open and deliver rear end-chewing to end all rear end chewings. My corfram came up and I spartan-kicked the door open, face twisted in fury, spittle flying as my mouth formed the first syllable of what was to be the magnum opus of my asschewings.

What I beheld was not PFC Fuckknuckles simply loving some skank, oh no.

On one of the racks were four of my Marines going family style on some chubby unattractive blonde girl with a tramp stamp. I'm pretty sure the balls touched.

I stopped in the doorway as my tiny TBI-ridden rifleman brain attempted to process the scene before me. They all stopped their frantic humping for a moment and stared at me. I didn't know what to loving say at this point.. I mean, what can you say to that, really. I just asked if she was of age and upon receiving a valid photo ID from the girl, muttered "very well, carry on" and continued my tour.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Deleted, what did this say? I assume by the reactions ITT it was something racist.

edit:

gotchu fam

https://twitter.com/mestizoleftist/status/1534605012650799104?s=21&t=yJw5ztHQPitM4HjvHHd6CA

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

edit:

gotchu fam

Thank you, talk about a certified Marine classic. lol

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

ASAPI posted:

Corruption, yes. There were several high-profile fed cases regarding our wonderful representatives within the last 5 years. One of which is going to trial in spite of strong efforts from Burke to get it tossed out. You know how SCOTUS basically made corruption cases impossible to prosecute without the jerk saying emphatically over the mic: "I am doing this specific act of my office for this amount of money that which you are handing me right now," well, our corruption is that sort of corruption!

"You can't use my own words saying 'let's do a corruption', against me when the impetus to listen into those words was the testimony of one of my made men on the take!"

The case moves forward...

It's not the Florida of the Midwest. It's more like, the meatpacking plant of the Democratic Party as a whole. If you want to learn how the sausage is made, come to Chicago and try to open up a franchised business on an empty corner lot where the gatekeeper is an alderman who runs a law firm specializing in zoning approvals. You will need to provide some incentives, like a sizable donation to a action committee and billed hours for said law firm.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The brightest and most beautiful flames burn a lot faster but don’t last as long. Same for stars, and Gippers like Schneider.

RIP to a real one.

:sigh:

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 8, 2022

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

RFC2324 posted:

Have a cool bowl with a cool story/puzzle for guests(until one of them breaks it)

Don't invite over Alexander the Great!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Omg, a legend

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The brightest and most beautiful flames burn a lot faster but don’t last as long. Same for stars, and Gippers like Schneider.

RIP to a real one.

:sigh:

RIP Schneider

He had some crazy rear end stories back in the GIP wild days.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jessicashortall/status/1534521739761393668?s=21&t=vVZN6-g6pCxM2DPD4C3iFQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
loving lol that someone was going to go after SC justice Kegstand, got cold feet and 911'd himself.