Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
In a shocking twist, it's actually Matthew Modine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

theironjef posted:

Time to start the meme rumor mill that the villain of it will be Jared Leto as a different Joker. Or let's be more realistic Jared Leto as the Morber, the crown prince of Morb.

site fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 8, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I don't know what they could do with it, but I will watch it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Joker rules and looks better than any superhero movie so I’m fine if the second one at the very least looks good

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

As long as they do something interesting with it and it's not just him fighting Batman

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Remember that time when people online were freaking out that the Joker movie would lead to more mass shootings by creepy lonely weirdos (when it turned out that you didn't need a movie to do that at all)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Joker 2: Joker v. Joker starring Leto and Phoenix

Bold of them to adapt Three Jokers. Who's the third?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

2 Joker 2 Furious: Into the Jokerverse

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The return of Kevin Spacey!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You, the viewer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Madkal posted:

Remember that time when people online were freaking out that the Joker movie would lead to more mass shootings by creepy lonely weirdos (when it turned out that you didn't need a movie to do that at all)
I was getting Jokerfied by random film people posting those takes before the movie even came out

Then several media members started asking questions to both Phoenix and Phillips about whether it was 'responsible' to release a movie like this and I felt like I was going insane

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Weirdly, Jay Leno. Oh, sorry, I misread, this says J. Leto. I wonder who that could be.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

What better movie will they rip off this time? It was King of Comedy for the first one, so maybe this will be Taxi Driver?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Codependent Poster posted:

What better movie will they rip off this time? It was King of Comedy for the first one, so maybe this will be Taxi Driver?

Ernest Goes to Camp.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

CGI Heath Ledger, and you know the chances of this are not 0.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I couldn't finish Joker, its just such a joyless painful movie. Just endless misery with everyone being lovely to each other. That's why I couldn't get through the first season of Preacher, just people with southern accents being lovely to each other.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm being 100% honest when I say I don't even remember if I watched Joker or not. I either did and forgot most of it or I didn't and just know certain things about it through cultural osmosis. There's not many movies that I'm completely unsure of if I saw it or not. My best bet of knowing for sure would probably be to look up if I ever mentioned seeing it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t feel like Joker was particularly responsible or irresponsibly. I remember Phoenix putting in a good performance and everything else feeling very derivative of many other films. Ultimately I just feel like if there’s one kind of movie we probably don’t need more of it’s angry white men having enough and snapping violently. We have enough of those. I’m not saying it makes things worse or anything. Just like you’ve made your point.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If the film was "irresponsible," it wasn't in its potential to inspire violence, more in a badly conceived portrayal of mental illness. The entire film just felt voyeuristic to me, trying to ground the character in a veneer of mental health and inequality but not actually saying anything meaningful and at worst outright stigmatizing the people it was supposedly empathizing with.

e: Like, I think the really telling moment in that film is the part where Arthur's dwarf ex-coworker has to ask him for help opening the door after Arthur has just murdered his other ex-coworker in front of him. An absolutely grotesque moment.

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 8, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. It felt like a lot of different ideas that felt assembled from other places into a kind of thematically confused non point of saying nothing really. Which is probably why so many people were able to draw so many polarizing reads into what they thought it was trying to say based on their own stuff.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I liked Joker, but I also haven’t thought about it at all since I saw it and I don’t know why anyone would think it needs a continuation.

There’s also no way it’ll escape unscathed without any influence from the creepiest parts of its fandom, so it’s probably a mistake to even make it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I liked Joker, but I also haven’t thought about it at all since I saw it and I don’t know why anyone would think it needs a continuation.

That's where I'm at. Perfectly good, absolutely doesn't deserve a follow-up. Actually thinking more about it, a sequel retroactively kind of ruins the original? But then again that's like 50% of sequels.

Regardless I'm so excited for the piping hot takes about how its existence is a dark sign of our times or some poo poo :suicide:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing which Scorsese movie(s) will be the blatant inspiration for Joker 2. They already used the two most obvious picks for the first one!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Hmmm a joker 2 might suck

I’d like a brian azzarello joker movie but pattinsons joker was more of a fit for that

And i’m sick of joker anyway

Do a loving clayface pattinson movie you cowards.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://youtu.be/JaV7mmc9HGw

Black Adam trailer

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they're gonna have him actually say Shazam at any point. Because I feel like it immediately makes Shazam (the character) being called that look stupid... which it is, but I feel like DC might want to avoid pointing out how dumb their own naming decision was on Captain Marvel.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TwoPair posted:

I wonder if they're gonna have him actually say Shazam at any point. Because I feel like it immediately makes Shazam (the character) being called that look stupid... which it is, but I feel like DC might want to avoid pointing out how dumb their own naming decision was on Captain Marvel.

They are going to make his magic word BlackAdam. The dumbest idea.

I also think there is a 60% chance (down from my original 99% chance) that this movie is going to end with Black Adam killing the JSA to show how bagasse and serious this stuff is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Heh, it actually feels weird to me that they seem to maybe be trying to distance this whole thing from Shazam. Will Captain Marvel Sparklefingers really not show up in this at all?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BrianWilly posted:

Heh, it actually feels weird to me that they seem to maybe be trying to distance this whole thing from Shazam. Will Captain Marvel Sparklefingers really not show up in this at all?

I'm assuming he gets locked in a tomb or magic portal or something and the stinger is him showing up in modern times. Billy may or may not show up for a second there but I doubt he'd be in the main movie

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

I also think there is a 60% chance (down from my original 99% chance) that this movie is going to end with Black Adam killing the JSA to show how bagasse and serious this stuff is.

This is my fear too. They all look cool and a JSA movie would be fun.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As someone not terribly acquainted with Doctor Fate beyond looking him up five minutes ago, Brosnan's a really good choice and I'm bummed they're probably just gonna kill him off, yeah

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Opopanax posted:

I'm assuming he gets locked in a tomb or magic portal or something and the stinger is him showing up in modern times. Billy may or may not show up for a second there but I doubt he'd be in the main movie

Have you seen the trailer? I don’t know how many jet fighters and rocket launchers they had in Ancient times.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Arist posted:

As someone not terribly acquainted with Doctor Fate beyond looking him up five minutes ago, Brosnan's a really good choice and I'm bummed they're probably just gonna kill him off, yeah

Dr. Fate is a good character. All of the various series he has had over the years are good. I recommend reading all of it from the 40s to the present.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

They are going to make his magic word BlackAdam. The dumbest idea.

Have him shout "the Rock of Eternity!" and Dwayne Johnson can look wryly at the camera.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Lobok posted:

Have him shout "Can you smell what the Rock of Eternity is cooking?" and Dwayne Johnson can look wryly at the camera.
FTFY

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Question IRL posted:

Have you seen the trailer? I don’t know how many jet fighters and rocket launchers they had in Ancient times.

Oh no, I haven't seen the new trailer yet. I just thought it was a prequel, are they bringing in the JSA post League?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was originally going to post "just have him do one of his catchphrases" so I'm glad someone else is in the same camp.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the most electrifying man in hero entertainment

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Opopanax posted:

Oh no, I haven't seen the new trailer yet. I just thought it was a prequel, are they bringing in the JSA post League?

You're assuming there's any thought given to 'DCEU' canon at all. Which varies wildly movie to movie it appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arist posted:

He was fun in the DCAU since they got Oded Fehr to voice him