Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I got a bunch of Edgar Wright energy from this, so had a v good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I liked it a lot, but so far, Kamala's mother is really just annoying. "Why, are you, a teenage girl, rebelling against your parents? This isn't you!"
I hope the story has something more for her in store than being a stick in the mud.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Loved it, everything was more or less perfect except for the powers thing which I will probably never stop being salty about (grandma's Green Lantern bangle, pah), Nakia looked way older than the rest of the gang, plus I refuse to believe Jersey City has ever looked so cool, sunny and lovely ever.

:colbert:

But yeah, love it. And won't lie, I felt bad for her dad when she didn't want him to go with her, even though I totally get why.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I liked it a lot, but so far, Kamala's mother is really just annoying. "Why, are you, a teenage girl, rebelling against your parents? This isn't you!"
I hope the story has something more for her in store than being a stick in the mud.

I would argue that of all the D+ MCU moms, this was easily the best mom

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i assume we're going to get details of her grandma's use of the bangle and decision to hang it up, which i am looking forward to (and will probably explain a lot of her mother's mistaken takes about how grandma was a daydreamer who believes in fantasy)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm finding it hard to get through the episode. Not because it's bad, but because it's capturing the overbearing sense of teenage cringe and angst a little too well and I'm extremely sensitive to that stuff, lol. It's definitely well-done, though. I'm excited to keep watching.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

kazil posted:

I would argue that of all the D+ MCU moms, this was easily the best mom

I mean, she's not badly written and she may want what's best for her daughter, but from a story perspective she's a slowing factor. Who among the audience is rooting for Kamala to get her head out of the sky and cease this super hero nonsense to focus on her studies, so she may attract a proper husband?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 8, 2022

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

She's not a stick in the mud lmao. She's just rightfully concerned about her child like most parents are. And handling in a way that any flawed person might.

Her child broke the rules, and left the house at night to go to an event that Kamala was explicitly told she couldn't go to. That was the most realistic poo poo I have seen.

I would have gotten my rear end beat, but obviously different(and better, don't hit your children) time now but yeah fam, you are definitely going to catch at least a lecture and a guilt trip when leaving to go to an event/party after being told you can't go when you are a 16 year old girl lol.

Kamala extremely deserved to hold that L. She misplayed that entire thing. Like show your mom the extremely non skimpy cosplay outfit you were wearing when she was concerned. Go with your dad who is obviously far more understanding of what you like. And then just talk to him separately to try and create distance.

Also they are clearly setting something up with her relationship with her mother, and Kamala's relationship with her.

I mean, she's not badly written and she may want what's best for her daughter, but from a story perspective she's a slowing and factor. Who among the audience is rooting for Kamala to get her head out of the sky and cease this super hero nonsense to focus on her studies, so she may attract a proper husband?

No one is rooting for it, but as far as parental portrayals it's pretty loving spot on. My guess is, she's going to have an arc, where both she and Kamala start to understand each other better.

I'm Black and not Muslim, but yeah those conversations were extremely similar to poo poo I've heard from my parents, or things I've overheard with my mom her friends or talking to my older sister like 20-25 years ago.

Kamala and her Mom's relationship is obviously going to be a major tension that is going to get resolved over the course of the series. It's episode 1

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 8, 2022

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Ms. Marvel is probably the best first episode of a Marvel Studios Disney+ show to date imo. still don’t like the powers change and probably never will, but we’ll see what they end up doing with it

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Kamala's parents going to bat for her after she clearly hosed up the driving test was adorable. Big Hulk and Little Hulk was also really cute even if they completely missed the point

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Barry Convex posted:

Ms. Marvel is probably the best first episode of a Marvel Studios Disney+ show to date imo. still don’t like the powers change and probably never will, but we’ll see what they end up doing with it

Yeah pretty easily. The only thing close is Loki. And well, I think this nails everything. This is like the marvel show that feels the most like an actual TV show, and not like a weird psudo tv show/movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Does the TV PG rating seem like it is going to be a hamper on the series or out of tone with the rest of the Disney+ series/MCU because of the lack of violence?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also her dad was genuinely adorable, that guy is doing a great job being a sweet goof

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Does the TV PG rating seem like it is going to be a hamper on the series or out of tone with the rest of the Disney+ series/MCU because of the lack of violence?

The rating was upgraded to TV-14, and WandVision was PG/TV-14 depending on the episode so... :shrug:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Easily the strongest debut episode on the D+

Casting is spot on, I love Kamala and her brother + father’s dynamic. There’s also a 5 min behind the scenes trailer that played after the episode too that was very cute.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sorry if this has been posted or linked to already but lol

https://twitter.com/TesolinJulian/status/1534505384756801536?s=20&t=_gi1SQ_jJR712RJ7AyhlBQ

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Kamala's parents in the comics were basically exactly like this and her relationship with her mom was one of the best parts of it. When her mom: comic spoiler revealed she had known for a while Kamala was Ms. Marvel it hit really well because of how the story had played out.

Also her dad was one of the best parts of that Avengers game. If anything the biggest sin the show has so far is it made her brother way too cool.

Edit:

Rarity posted:

Can we maybe specifically mark comic spoilers as such?

Yeah fair enough.

Just remembered that the convention shirts had Groot named "Mr. Tree" and I liked that. Also someone at that convention was cosplaying as Loki, a real life mass murderer.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 8, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Can we maybe specifically mark comic spoilers as such?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Great closing credits, great energy without having to discern them and turn them into spoilers.

I imagine the Convention sequence was just a Easter egg per shot. Apparently earthlings know all about the guardians, but that makes sense of Scott Lang was blabbing on a podcast.

Super likable leads, I wasn’t too into brew in the comics but this kid brings it.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Kamala was watching Scott Pilgrim, right? Reference to Brie Larson AND Edgar Wright

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Push El Burrito posted:

Just remembered that the convention shirts had Groot named "Mr. Tree" and I liked that. Also someone at that convention was cosplaying as Loki, a real life mass murderer.

Scott probably talked on his podcast about Thor's cool adventures and how Loki faced Thanos, died and etc.
He also was in a musical, so it seems MCU people don't hate-hate Thor's hot brother.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

tragedyjones posted:

Kamala was watching Scott Pilgrim, right? Reference to Brie Larson AND Edgar Wright

It looked like Natalie Portman in Garden State. :3: But was too blurry and fast to tell.

But WOW, that was REALLY good. Great introduction to this character who I don't know anything about. A little TOO twee in some parts but it's fine and just a product of the times. Nothing felt cheap, slow or anything - everyone is cast superbly. This could easily be ratcheted up to the best MCU show -- hell, MCU ANYTHING to date.

A nice palate cleanser after Obi Wan and the drab Moon Knight.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Loved it. Been a big fan of the comics since they started, and even me, a very white Canadian male, got a lot out of it.

But drat this was pitch perfect. Some early reviews thought they toned down the Brother but I just saw a change of clothes. He's still pretty devout and the "stop praying or you starve" is straight out of the comics. He's less hostile too. One reviewer also really hated Nakia's change, but like, her hijab is worn in the "cool" way showing a bit of hair, the rest of her was the comics. I always took her as Kamala's friend who she envied the most because she seemed to have things together.

Powers are fine, they had other ways to show her body issues.

I liked that Zoe isn't shown to be a complete bitch right off the bat, and also her Captain Marvel costume is the old Ms Marvel costume

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

LOL it's really gonna bake their noodle when they find out shes teaming up with Carol Danvers in the next Captain Marvel movie

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I only have a loose sense of the Ms. Marvel character picked up from panels and pages posted here and there, but I gotta say the episode was a ton of fun and Kamala seems like a great character, and I love her family and will flip a table if anything happens to her dad.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

tragedyjones posted:

Naw I just checked and it's Felicity.

Really fun episode. The way it showed them texting was the most clever way I've seen that depicted on screen. Excited to see what visuals they pull out as we see more powers on screen.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

twistedmentat posted:

Powers are fine, they had other ways to show her body issues.

This just made it stick out more to me. They left in all the body issues for the character, but took out the body autonomy empowerment angle... it kind of really grinds on me. Maybe it's just a personal thing because I'm trans and it would have meant so much to me to see a hero whose finds power in making their body into whatever they want. And it feels like it would be meaningful to young girls and muslim young girls as well, though I am not one of them so I can't really speak.

But despite losing that aspect in the adaptation, everything else hits the mark so dead on. Iman Vellani, the visuals, the writing, every the story. Like, this isn't the story that I wanted, but that doesn't meant it's a bad story! It's still an excellent story, they're doing a really cool new thing with Kamala and I am pretty sure I'm gonna love it!

It's also really evident that although they chose another angle for this story, the love and respect for the original seeps out of every nook and crevice. Like a lot of the in-universe "fanart" was just literal comic covers and iconic scenes and poo poo like this poster that Kamala has in her room:

Seeing Iman/Kamala playing off other MCU heroes is gonna be flippin' great. :3:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Jerusalem posted:

I only have a loose sense of the Ms. Marvel character picked up from panels and pages posted here and there, but I gotta say the episode was a ton of fun and Kamala seems like a great character, and I love her family and will flip a table if anything happens to her dad.

Same.

May I say that even if I'm a 40 yo person, I felt a bit identified with her? I was once the cringy teenager that would sit in a corner and draw comics on their notebooks while daydreaming about having goku powers or going out at night to kick crime's rear end like Batman.

We didn't have social media back then, if not I would had been doing silly videos too lol

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

Same.

May I say that even if I'm a 40 yo person, I felt a bit identified with her? I was once the cringy teenager that would sit in a corner and draw comics on their notebooks while daydreaming about having goku powers or going out at night to kick crime's rear end like Batman.

We didn't have social media back then, if not I would had been doing silly videos too lol

Fuckin' absolutely. They really super nailed that tone in a way that feels like it transcends generations. I was once a kid who rides bikes and begs my parents to let me go with my nerd friends to mecca nerd conventions.

I did some math the other day and it looks like Iman Vellani was six years old when Iron Man was released and the MCU was created. Ever since then, knowing that Iron Man is her real life favorite hero, I just can't shake the image of this doe eyed little kid watching superheroes on TV and dreaming of that world and now she really gets to be one of them and it's blowing her freaking mind and I love it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My favorite part of the episode was the reveal that Scott Lang has a podcast and is likely how the public knows most of the details of the final battle. I also hope we get like a random episode or two of said podcast as a companion piece, preferably with Michael Pena as his co-host. Also putting money down that Paul Rudd does a small cameo in this.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

That's weird, this show is getting review bombed for some reason:

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

XboxPants posted:

That's weird, this show is getting review bombed for some reason:

Yeah, we're all surprised

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Canned Panda posted:

Yeah, we're all surprised

What actually surprised me are that a lot of reviewers on IMDB are mad that it's about a....teenager

Like, no problem at all watching a movie about a teenage Peter Parker but one single episode of Ms. Marvel 1/10 worst thing ever!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Gosh!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I had low expectations going in. I love the character and I HATED the changes they made to her power set. I have to say I'm pretty in on this series. Still annoyed about the power changes, but I'm willing to give it a shot since they nailed pretty much everything else about Kamala.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What's her comic book power?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Vintersorg posted:

Stretchy/growy limbs.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vintersorg posted:

Stretchiness and healing when she's not embiggened.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ah, is the bracelet in the comics? Or she gets her power elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SalTheBard posted:

I had low expectations going in. I love the character and I HATED the changes they made to her power set. I have to say I'm pretty in on this series. Still annoyed about the power changes, but I'm willing to give it a shot since they nailed pretty much everything else about Kamala.

Based on what I saw in Dr. Strange: MoM, stretchy powers still aren't quite there yet.. I'd rather have a Kamala Khan with slightly different powers than Kamala Khan with powers that look stupid and/or gross.