Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

loving HR man. We have 1 person responsible for approving salary. She has such a tight loving fist on what people make. I'm guessing she makes jack poo poo so she makes everyone else suffer.

I got a tech who is a rock star. I got approval from my boss to promote him. I talked with the HR person who is responsible for IT. We came up with a title and salary. My boss approved. HR approved. The salary lady says "this seems high, we should discuss". rear end in a top hat, it's 8% and it's not your god drat money.

So mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The absolute worst is people who think the company's money comes out of their personal bank account and so the entire department survives on scraps and gumption. It's bullshit.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

GreenNight posted:

loving HR man. We have 1 person responsible for approving salary. She has such a tight loving fist on what people make. I'm guessing she makes jack poo poo so she makes everyone else suffer.

I got a tech who is a rock star. I got approval from my boss to promote him. I talked with the HR person who is responsible for IT. We came up with a title and salary. My boss approved. HR approved. The salary lady says "this seems high, we should discuss". rear end in a top hat, it's 8% and it's not your god drat money.

So mad.

In job -2, I had a coworker that they were trying to promote to tech lead because she was awesome. The offer for the promotion was a 10% cut in pay, partially due to tech boom inflated pay, and partially because they were comparing her salary versus jobs like call center supervisor.

She left pretty soon after.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Or the managers who think if they come in significantly under budget they'll get that money in the form of a bonus or raise or at least a pat on the head so they build this bizarre "you must make sacrifices for the company and do without" mentality. Except the entire team's salaries, let alone pay increases or expenses, are a rounding error in the bigger picture for the company so no one notices or cares.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

LochNessMonster posted:

True, ancient orgs will stick to ancient ways no matter what tech stack they use.

Not going to work for those types of organizations either. Maybe when I’m done and just want to wait until I retire, but usually these types of organisations are also the butts in seats type of guys.

Ehhh. Bigger orgs are more complex. Just recently had an expressroute set up from Azure-OCI with no change request by a person who had no idea how bad they are at their job (they didn't weight the BGP connections using a really simple mechanism in Azure), and Deloitte proceeded to "test stuff out" on a loving production network and introduced a bad 10.0.0.0/8 route that destroyed our Azure network for like three hours. All on-prem bound traffic (which runs around 2 gbps at min) was getting routed to OCI and dying. Unwinding all of it across multiple cloud platforms/projects/consulting teams sucked bad.

edit: and it could've been avoided with a minimal amount of planning and oversight, but it would've pushed the deployment out like a week so they decided to YOLO it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

KillHour posted:

The absolute worst is people who think the company's money comes out of their personal bank account and so the entire department survives on scraps and gumption. It's bullshit.

Sometimes this is by design. That person who is being a scrooge is measured by and rewarded by spending less money. These folks usually have bonuses tied to silly spending numbers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't have bonuses for poo poo except for the sales folks. I manage the IT budget and there is nothing tied to coming in under budget. This guy's raise would be like 5 grand. It's nothing.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sickening posted:

Sometimes this is by design. That person who is being a scrooge is measured by and rewarded by spending less money. These folks usually have bonuses tied to silly spending numbers.

Or it's that they would rather spend the money on their personal projects rather than a department they feel is "an expense".

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I sincerely doubt anyone is incentivizing random HR drones to keep the $$$ down, only place I've ever seen it done is recruiting and it's a good way to just... not get candidates at this point.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

GreenNight posted:

We don't have bonuses for poo poo except for the sales folks. I manage the IT budget and there is nothing tied to coming in under budget. This guy's raise would be like 5 grand. It's nothing.

Well that's just silly, that person must be miserable.

I dont do the budgets for my team, my boss basically tells me what he's thinking for total equity increase and I align them based on individual performances and push for stock/bonus increases based on merit to make up what I can't in equity. He's been pretty good about it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

i am a moron posted:

Ehhh. Bigger orgs are more complex.

They certainly are, but there’s a difference between a tightly run ship with a working RFC process and places where ordering a server takes 3 months.

only to find out you didn’t request power, networking changes so there’s a bare metal server in a rack that can’t be turned on or accessed until those RFCs are fulfilled in another 2-3 months

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

i am a moron posted:

Ehhh. Bigger orgs are more complex. Just recently had an expressroute set up from Azure-OCI with no change request by a person who had no idea how bad they are at their job (they didn't weight the BGP connections using a really simple mechanism in Azure), and Deloitte proceeded to "test stuff out" on a loving production network and introduced a bad 10.0.0.0/8 route that destroyed our Azure network for like three hours. All on-prem bound traffic (which runs around 2 gbps at min) was getting routed to OCI and dying. Unwinding all of it across multiple cloud platforms/projects/consulting teams sucked bad.

edit: and it could've been avoided with a minimal amount of planning and oversight, but it would've pushed the deployment out like a week so they decided to YOLO it

Yeah, there's a balance. It also depends on the business in question.

There's also no quicker way to get process constraints around what you do than YOLOing a change that then causes an SLA violation that loses your org money or having an undocumented change that leads to a regulatory violation.

It doesn't really matter how progressive your development practices are at that point, there are certain business realities that can require a change control process. The key is to having a process that's friction free while letting stakeholders know the full scope and risks of what you are doing. Effective change control also enforces having a proper implementation plan that can keep things from going sideways and allows you to socialize the change between peers to ensure you aren't missing anything.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Regarding pay chat, right now a guy had half his sys admin team jump ship in a two month period so he is scrambling to fill internally. One of the best tech 2s did well and got the job offer, and HR offered.... less money than he currently making. Less money than the absolute bottom of the range for a system admin. Just flabbergasting

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a developing narrative that we're all getting paid too much (all professions, it's not just an IT thing) and that's why inflation is so bad. So if all us peons would be willing to take a big pay cut we could save the economy.

I don't know if that's what's happening for you but the timing sure is convenient.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I had an interview through a Goon friend at a Cloud security company. Set up for 11:30, a screening interview after scheduling via HR on Monday. I cleaned up the resumé with peers help and was super hyped to have an opportunity to ~triple my current pay in an entry level analyst position. Then time comes around, no call. At 11:45, I call up HR, and the lady apologizes, saying it was very much unlike the interviewer to not call. She then says she'll call me back, and that was half an hour ago. A few friends have said this is very unusual/unprofessional, but as someone just getting my feet wet in the tech industry, is this normal or are they rightfully annoyed at the lack of a call by either party?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

cage-free egghead posted:

Privacy.com has worked great for me, I was going to get a Citi account until I found that. No dumb SMS OTP poo poo, can use your authentication app of choice.

My man. This looks excellent and if I hadn't been so used to dealing with Citi for years and not seeing anyone else have this feature I might have continued dealing with their BS forever. Thanks for the recommendation!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm having a similar conversation with my management here where I'm hiring people for my team, and HR gave me an offer package for someone to come work for me... that was considerably more than what I make as someone with over a decade of tenure at my job. Awkward.

(I still hired them at that rate and am getting my entire team reviewed for a pay rebaseline.)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

I had an interview through a Goon friend at a Cloud security company. Set up for 11:30, a screening interview after scheduling via HR on Monday. I cleaned up the resumé with peers help and was super hyped to have an opportunity to ~triple my current pay in an entry level analyst position. Then time comes around, no call. At 11:45, I call up HR, and the lady apologizes, saying it was very much unlike the interviewer to not call. She then says she'll call me back, and that was half an hour ago. A few friends have said this is very unusual/unprofessional, but as someone just getting my feet wet in the tech industry, is this normal or are they rightfully annoyed at the lack of a call by either party?

poo poo happens and nobody, I MEAN NOBODY, wants to do the actual interviewing. Stay strong!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Dandywalken posted:

I'm a little confused by the timeline (unless it's not Wednesday and my watch is lying to me), but I'll generally give companies the benefit of the doubt the first time there's a screw-up. Any number of things could have happened to the interviewer, and it's worth it to afford folks some patience. Hell, my boss missed a semi-important meeting yesterday because his daughter broke her arm. poo poo happens. That said, I also have a two-strikes rule. I have a local company I will do zero business with because their recruiters ghosted me on two different occasions, years apart. I'll gladly give folks a second chance, but I won't be a doormat.

HR lady is probably still running down what's going on. If you don't hear from her by tomorrow around lunchtime, then I'd reach back out.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Argh, yeah sorry. The scheduling call was Monday for the screening today, Wednesday

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I really need to fix my resume and attempt to get out of this hellhole I'm working at. My contract is 2 years (I'm 1 year in) and there's a clause where if I leave early they have the right to charge me for "lost revenue" but it sounds like that's nigh impossible to enforce.

But I'm not exactly sure where I could land with only a BS in computer science and 1 year experience.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Floppychop posted:

I really need to fix my resume and attempt to get out of this hellhole I'm working at. My contract is 2 years (I'm 1 year in) and there's a clause where if I leave early they have the right to charge me for "lost revenue" but it sounds like that's nigh impossible to enforce.

But I'm not exactly sure where I could land with only a BS in computer science and 1 year experience.

If you are you in the states, its totally unenforceable. The only value it has is to scare you and the only reason its in the contract at all.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

bull3964 posted:

and allows you to socialize the change between peers to ensure you aren't missing anything.

It sure does, and when you're crossing that many lines it's really a net positive imo.

LochNessMonster posted:

They certainly are, but there’s a difference between a tightly run ship with a working RFC process and places where ordering a server takes 3 months.

only to find out you didn’t request power, networking changes so there’s a bare metal server in a rack that can’t be turned on or accessed until those RFCs are fulfilled in another 2-3 months

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'll never go back to on-prem poo poo for the same reason. And I hate processes. But any time I get bit like I did it gives me pause for just doing the whole wild west thing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Floppychop posted:

With a BS in compsci, anywhere that’s hiring programmers, surely. Sign up for leetcode, do a few dozen challenges, the world’s your oyster.

Or are you thinking of staying in the ops (IT/devops/sre) space?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

With a BS in compsci, anywhere that’s hiring programmers, surely. Sign up for leetcode, do a few dozen challenges, the world’s your oyster.

Or are you thinking of staying in the ops (IT/devops/sre) space?

I'm currently in a "full stack developer" position, but primarily doing work with Java and the occasional sql. So I'm thinking of sticking with development with the "where do you see yourself in 10 years" as maybe an engineering position.

And my history is that most places won't even look at you without years of experience. As such I could only land a job with Infosys, since their requirement for devs seems to be "can kind of read and write", judging by the people I work with.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

cage-free egghead posted:

Privacy.com has worked great for me, I was going to get a Citi account until I found that. No dumb SMS OTP poo poo, can use your authentication app of choice.

Honestly I had forgot about privacy.com. Thank you IT thread.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you use 1Password they have privacy.com integration now where they can generate one-time use or limited balance credit card numbers on the fly directly, it’s pretty slick.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

FCKGW posted:

If you use 1Password they have privacy.com integration now where they can generate one-time use or limited balance credit card numbers on the fly directly, it’s pretty slick.

i'm still on the self hosted option right now actually for 1password. i need to figure out a day to upgrade to their subscription version

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. We don't run Microsoft Teams at all. And everything above is what we do too. Basically what I found out is that the company sending you these Microsoft Teams invites - if you want them to work on your room kits, they need to have your room kits licensed. Not you licensing the room kits, but the company sending the invite. It's insane.

We ended up telling people that if they want to use a Webex room, then they need to create a Webex meeting and invite the outside folks.

I do expect this to change. Webex has been pretty good at pushing out new functionality since covid hit.

The organization hosting the Teams meeting has to have some sort of video interop service tied into their Teams implementation. As a third party to all this, you CAN call into a Teams meeting with a Webex system, even if it isn't licensed for the Teams integration so long as the hosting organization has the interop working.

Webex is one, but there's also Polycom, Pexip, and Bluejeans. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/cloud-video-interop

GreenNight posted:

We have an MSP that is pretty drat good at Cisco stuff. We had them setup like 8 video rooms now, we're talking $60,000 rooms with 98" TVs, dual short throw projectors, speakers and microphones in the ceilings, etc.

I go to them for all this poo poo, just chuck it over the wall.

The MSP I work for does this kind of stuff, and I really enjoy building out the bill of materials for rooms like this. It's something we're moving away from though, so I haven't had the chance to do it in a while. Plus people haven't been buying those kinds of rooms for the past 2 years.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

FCKGW posted:

On this note, is anyone using 1password Business? I'm looking at replacing KeePass for shared vaults.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 9, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The organization hosting the Teams meeting has to have some sort of video interop service tied into their Teams implementation. As a third party to all this, you CAN call into a Teams meeting with a Webex system, even if it isn't licensed for the Teams integration so long as the hosting organization has the interop working.

Webex is one, but there's also Polycom, Pexip, and Bluejeans. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/cloud-video-interop

The MSP I work for does this kind of stuff, and I really enjoy building out the bill of materials for rooms like this. It's something we're moving away from though, so I haven't had the chance to do it in a while. Plus people haven't been buying those kinds of rooms for the past 2 years.

Also any teams rooms can get natively into webex or zoom withot any costs. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/rooms/third-party-join

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The video meeting vendors need to stop having their pissing matches and realise that interop for conference rooms is going to have to be something they agree on. It doesn’t have to support all the features but a Zoom room should be able to join a Teams meeting and get video and shared content displayed.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

My boss is a member of the family owning the company so very much this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

The video meeting vendors need to stop having their pissing matches and realise that interop for conference rooms is going to have to be something they agree on. It doesn’t have to support all the features but a Zoom room should be able to join a Teams meeting and get video and shared content displayed.

Never - you made your choice and now you can only work with Zoom partners and vendors.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Anyone feel like dipping back into Title-chat?

So I got hired at a contract chemistry lab as a Desktop Support Technician. I was on the helpdesk for like a week before moving into my current role.

Because of my past life as a research scientist I now take care of all of the Data Integrity stuff/instrument computers. I’m writing SOPs, doing internal security and integrity audits, setting up secure client-server databases for the scientific instruments, etc. I’m also working very closely with the Metrology department and vendors on new instrument installs and updates.

My boss and the CIO said they want to pivot me away from desktop support entirely so that I can focus on this role. They threw $20k more at me, and asked what I think my title should be. (I’m hyped AF about this btw)

I really have no idea about the title though. I was a windows sysadmin 10 years ago, but in the interim I went to school and because a scientist until I got fed up with that.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I had 3 different titles (one for internal use, one for external use/my signature, one for the position I was actually filling) at my last job and the one I put on my resume is none of them as I felt like they didn't really reflect my job responsibilities. I'd just go with something generic like "Database Administrator" and not care too much about it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I mean that's exactly what h323 was designed for, it's just better to ignore its existence in order to lock customer in your software silo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

App13 posted:

Anyone feel like dipping back into Title-chat?

So I got hired at a contract chemistry lab as a Desktop Support Technician. I was on the helpdesk for like a week before moving into my current role.

Because of my past life as a research scientist I now take care of all of the Data Integrity stuff/instrument computers. I’m writing SOPs, doing internal security and integrity audits, setting up secure client-server databases for the scientific instruments, etc. I’m also working very closely with the Metrology department and vendors on new instrument installs and updates.

My boss and the CIO said they want to pivot me away from desktop support entirely so that I can focus on this role. They threw $20k more at me, and asked what I think my title should be. (I’m hyped AF about this btw)

I really have no idea about the title though. I was a windows sysadmin 10 years ago, but in the interim I went to school and because a scientist until I got fed up with that.

Go for "Data Integrity Specialist I" I work at a big research org that also has a big GxP side. and if I saw Data Integrity Specialist on a resume, I'd expect about what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

the spyder posted:

Oh this note, is anyone using 1password Business? I'm looking at replacing KeePass for shared vaults.

We do.I find it so much easier to use in a team than KeePass.

There's an option too where any employee can get a family license for free. Probably expires if a person leaves but its a nice perk.