Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

NPR Journalizard posted:

Theres that old story about some dude doing this to a bank, and it working out in his favour.

quote:

When Dmitry Agarkov was going through his junk mail one day, he came across a credit card offer from Tinkoff Bank. The Russian man thought it seemed a good deal at first with 12.9% interest and decent credit limits. But then he read the fine print and changed his mind. The real interest rate, hidden in the fine print, was a lot higher at 45%.

Instead of throwing the offer in the bin and getting on with things, Agarkov decided to have a little fun.

What happened next was meant initially as a joke but things soon escalated culminating in a court case worth $727,000.
https://medium.com/illumination-curated/one-man-turned-tables-on-bank-and-got-best-credit-card-ever-18fb0b718855

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
My engineer (boss) isn't awful by any means. Just a bit neurotic about details, a fine quality for an engineer.

For example sometimes I place slotted bolt holes, these slots are to allow the assembler plenty of room to jiggle things around to make it all fit. It's a solution to the dual problem of "this is a hand drilled hole so lets make it so that it doesn't need to be perfectly accurate" and "when this gets put together you're gonna need a little room for fudging stuff around." My boss has me placing the center of these holes with thousandths of an inch accuracy. I have to assume that the shop guys just lol when my map tells them to center this slot 7.169" from the edge.

I've been holding on to that one because by itself it's just a little weird and like "whatever you say chief".

Today he asked me to republish a dozen documents so that the "last modified date" in windows explorer matches more closely with the second bunch of drawings I published yesterday for the same project.

:shrug:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

DiHK posted:

My engineer (boss) isn't awful by any means. Just a bit neurotic about details, a fine quality for an engineer.

For example sometimes I place slotted bolt holes, these slots are to allow the assembler plenty of room to jiggle things around to make it all fit. It's a solution to the dual problem of "this is a hand drilled hole so lets make it so that it doesn't need to be perfectly accurate" and "when this gets put together you're gonna need a little room for fudging stuff around." My boss has me placing the center of these holes with thousandths of an inch accuracy. I have to assume that the shop guys just lol when my map tells them to center this slot 7.169" from the edge.

I've been holding on to that one because by itself it's just a little weird and like "whatever you say chief".

Today he asked me to republish a dozen documents so that the "last modified date" in windows explorer matches more closely with the second bunch of drawings I published yesterday for the same project.

:shrug:

7 and 3/16 is what everyone is marking and drilling at.

Your boss is a bad engineer if they doesn't realize hand ops need to be measured in nominal sizes you can determine from a compound rule and tolerance the feature accordingly.

I want to redline one of your drawings lol.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I can’t imagine being an engineer and using inches. What the gently caress.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Scientastic posted:

Boy howdy, you don't want to fly on an airplane then.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Well poo poo, I'm on a blue streak of just being dumb as hell lately. :tipshat:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Welcome to North America. I work mostly in inches even up here in Canada.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

7 and 3/16 is what everyone is marking and drilling at.

Your boss is a bad engineer if they doesn't realize hand ops need to be measured in nominal sizes you can determine from a compound rule and tolerance the feature accordingly.

I want to redline one of your drawings lol.

That's the weird part. He knows this and in most cases this is how we measure linear distances that we cut. For some reason pipe supports are an exception.

It's not the most egregious thing. Check out this balloon hell, particularly the fasteners. This is an approved drawing.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I keep turning that image round trying to work out whether it’s the world’s most complicated loss edit

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Scientastic posted:

My company uses metric like god intended, but the internal tool shop uses inches and I have to convert everything for them or they get really pissy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Can someone on this doomed earth please tell me what the point is of scheduling 20-minute "speedy meetings" if the meetings still regularly go for 30 minutes or more? :psyduck:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

DiHK posted:

That's the weird part. He knows this and in most cases this is how we measure linear distances that we cut. For some reason pipe supports are an exception.

It's not the most egregious thing. Check out this balloon hell, particularly the fasteners. This is an approved drawing.

That's one way to call out bill of material items in a graphical view. It's not that egregious but I work with turbomachinery so I look at crap like this all day.

E: What the hell is that section view definition? Where Is view D looking at the pipes from?

Does DGP stand for 'destroys good paper', on account of all the drawings you throw away?

YeahTubaMike posted:

Can someone on this doomed earth please tell me what the point is of scheduling 20-minute "speedy meetings" if the meetings still regularly go for 30 minutes or more? :psyduck:

Abusing you to keep you subservient. I just drop them at the scheduled time unless there's profit depending on the discussion, otherwise it can be a tomorrow thing.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 8, 2022

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

That's one way to call out bill of material items in a graphical view. It's not that egregious but I work with turbomachinery so I look at crap like this all day.

Abusing you to keep you subservient. I just drop them at the scheduled time unless there's profit depending on the discussion, otherwise it can be a tomorrow thing.

Is every number a part? I'm guessing things like '15' is a gasket. I find engineering drawings fascinating, but don't get much time with them.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

old bean factory posted:

Is every number a part? I'm guessing things like '15' is a gasket. I find engineering drawings fascinating, but don't get much time with them.

It looks that way, you wouldn't pre-fab pipes for a job, you build in place. So this would let you kit all your gaskets and fasteners and cut all the pipes then bring your poo poo to the job.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 8, 2022

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

E: What the hell is that section view definition? Where Is view D looking at the pipes from?

Boss redlined a box around what I originally had as a directional section view, like this |______D_______| but pointing down. He thought it would be misleading since I don't show the suction side until the next page.

I don't like the balloons because of the redundancy. Rather than a single (Stud)(Nut)(Washer) notation on each spool, he likes the full sequence in the same direction and often asks me to reverse the order in a way that is not possible to draw in inventor without overriding balloons. So (Stud)(Nut)(Washer)(Washer)(Nut) except point to the stud, list the nut first and the stud last. Only sometimes.

It's nice to know that it's not an overcrowded dwg by some standards at least. I come from a visual background and prefer to err on the side of readability.

old bean factory posted:

Yes and yes. black epdm.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 8, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Boy howdy, you don't want to fly on an airplane then.

Nobody wants to fly an airplane in 2022. Pay is crap unless you're one of a lucky few and they treat you like dirt.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

DiHK posted:

I'm glad I only have to look for instrumentation and controls on p&ids.

Not my boss but an engineering firm that is doing improvement work on the site I'm contracted to. They are a big firm, but kinda forgot to pay the bill for a new pressure filter vessel that was suppose to be install in the upcoming outage. So the company that built it starting taking parts off to complete other jobs. Oops!

The other company isn't totally in the clear, so the vessel itself is stainless steel (because the company I contracted with uses a lot of acids and bases and other nastiness) but the legs and the slide the filter door slides on is carbon steel, unpainted. That was down in Florida for the last few months. Plant manager was not happy seeing rusting metal on his shiny new filter.

To get on plant grounds, you have to take a whiz quiz, the filter builder company owner outright says "nah", but apparently there was yelling back and forth and they found a guy that will pass the quiz because today the company says they'll have a man on site for start-up.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I mean, I'm pretty sure that 90+% of things that office jobs do is for that purpose, but how does scheduling but not honoring a short meeting keep employees subservient specifically?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DiHK posted:

I don't show the suction side until the next page.

I don't like the balloons because of the redundancy. Rather than a single (Stud)(Nut)(Washer) ... So (Stud)(Nut)(Washer)(Washer)(Nut) except point to the stud, list the nut first and the stud last.

Call me :wink:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

YeahTubaMike posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure that 90+% of things that office jobs do is for that purpose, but how does scheduling but not honoring a short meeting keep employees subservient specifically?

They'll yell at you for dropping at the meeting end time once it becomes a pattern, and accuse you of shirking duties. At least that's what happened to me.

DiHK posted:

Boss redlined a box around what I originally had as a directional section view, like this |______D_______| but pointing down. He thought it would be misleading since I don't show the suction side until the next page.

I don't like the balloons because of the redundancy. Rather than a single (Stud)(Nut)(Washer) notation on each spool, he likes the full sequence in the same direction and often asks me to reverse the order in a way that is not possible to draw in inventor without overriding balloons. So (Stud)(Nut)(Washer)(Washer)(Nut) except point to the stud, list the nut first and the stud last. Only sometimes.

It's nice to know that it's not an overcrowded dwg by some standards at least. I come from a visual background and prefer to err on the side of readability.

Yes and yes. black epdm.

Lol, your boss doesn't use GD&T then. The fasteners should just be called out in a note with a parallelogram, then you mark the joints with the appropriate parallelogram for the fastener stack they require.

The section view definition he had you use is wrong. Your initial approach was correct.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 8, 2022

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
E: posting too much

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

They'll yell at you for dropping at the meeting end time once it becomes a pattern, and accuse you of shirking duties. At least that's what happened to me.

In my experience, that isn't the case. It's more that it's just accepted among everyone.

For example, there was a meeting today scheduled for 1-1:20. At literally 1:25, the meeting host was like "well, we're over speedy meeting time -- do we have anything else to discuss?" Everyone thought about it for a solid minute, then he decided to go through the rest of a list of stuff to talk about. Then everyone thought about each list item, and by the time they were done, it was 1:31, at which point he asked AGAIN if anyone had any other thoughts. Then he ended the meeting. Like...why?????

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

YeahTubaMike posted:

In my experience, that isn't the case. It's more that it's just accepted among everyone.

For example, there was a meeting today scheduled for 1-1:20. At literally 1:25, the meeting host was like "well, we're over speedy meeting time -- do we have anything else to discuss?" Everyone thought about it for a solid minute, then he decided to go through the rest of a list of stuff to talk about. Then everyone thought about each list item, and by the time they were done, it was 1:31, at which point he asked AGAIN if anyone had any other thoughts. Then he ended the meeting. Like...why?????

You acquiesced to the dominance game. He proved that he can get you to stay after the meeting end time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

You acquiesced to the dominance game. He proved that he can get you to stay after the meeting end time.

:hmmyes:

I'd be less acquiescent if I had been there for more than two months.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Speaking of engineering, lol.

I'm an engineer, wife and I work in the same town. My wife loses her job, finds another job in the area we want very much to live in. She drives to the office on Monday and works, spends the night, works Tuesday, drives home. Two hour commute. Rest of the week is WFH.

My company has a second office in the same area that she works. Great! I can just ask to be transfered there and do the same work im doing now, no real commute and everyone is happy.

Nope. It's too hard to manage me apparently two hours away, but we have an employee that moved to Tennessee that is being managed just fine (we are in CA). Okay, well that sucks, how about WFH on Monday and Tuesday since I have no kids and the home office to myself?

Nope. Manager likes to be able to step out of his office and have a chat if need be or collaborate. Also there is the perception that if I'm not in the office I'm not "part of the team".

Had my four year review and just barely got a COL adjustment, no merit salary increase, and one week of vacation. Thanks!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

YeahTubaMike posted:

Ah. In that case RIP. Low guy on the totem pole is a poo poo position.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i take great pleasure in making my meetings start and end on time. i even have a fancy button to nuke the whole meeting into the void just because i love to hit it.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

You need to conveniently have another meeting scheduled right at the end time if that meeting. Then you can drop the call, or leave (depending on work situation) with the excuse of having another meeting to attend. Two birds one stone, you look super busy to your peers and/or boss, and you get out of lovely meetings.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i love remote meetings because if it's big enough that i'm only listening, i have a 10-minute loop of myself looking bored that i play in obs and in two years nobody has noticed that i wear the same shirt to every all-staff

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Lord of Pie posted:

Boss tried to lure people back into the office with food, one guy showed up.

Now they're going to raffle off door prizes or something but you have to show up at the office to get tickets for it. I think they got a few more rubes with this one so I'm hoping they don't hit whatever target number they were looking for to declare that enough people are willing to work from the office that it becomes mandatory

Lol, imagining your boss standing at the office door shaking a box of cookies like me trying to lure my parents' rear end in a top hat cat inside after dark so he doesn't get eaten by coyotes.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
"Well, if there are no other questions, I'll give you all twelve minutes of your life back."

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Target Practice posted:

I'm an engineer, wife and I work in the same town. My wife loses her job, finds another job in the area we want very much to live in. She drives to the office on Monday and works, spends the night, works Tuesday, drives home. Two hour commute. Rest of the week is WFH.

My company has a second office in the same area that she works. Great! I can just ask to be transfered there and do the same work im doing now, no real commute and everyone is happy.

Nope. It's too hard to manage me apparently two hours away, but we have an employee that moved to Tennessee that is being managed just fine (we are in CA). Okay, well that sucks, how about WFH on Monday and Tuesday since I have no kids and the home office to myself?

Nope. Manager likes to be able to step out of his office and have a chat if need be or collaborate. Also there is the perception that if I'm not in the office I'm not "part of the team".

Had my four year review and just barely got a COL adjustment, no merit salary increase, and one week of vacation. Thanks!

Resign and reapply for your job as an external candidate so you can negotiate pay and WFH. You're a perfect fit!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

CaptainViolence posted:

i love remote meetings because if it's big enough that i'm only listening, i have a 10-minute loop of myself looking bored that i play in obs and in two years nobody has noticed that i wear the same shirt to every all-staff

They've noticed but why would they bring it up?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Target Practice posted:

Good luck on your job search!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Chaotic Flame posted:

They've noticed but why would they bring it up?

I am the sort of person who would notice, and eventually privately email asking for some particular little repeating tic to be removed from the loop because it was driving me crazy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

GI_Clutch posted:

"Well, if there are no other questions, I'll give you all twelve minutes of your life back."

This phrasing has triggered me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My company had some initiative where meetings would start at :05 instead instead of :00 and anyone who sets up meetings that way I mentally bin as a bootlicker

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Barudak posted:

My company had some initiative where meetings would start at :05 instead instead of :00 and anyone who sets up meetings that way I mentally bin as a bootlicker

People just start showing up late on purpose, then the meetings end up running 5 minutes late.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Barudak posted:

Some higher up at a previous employer came up with all meetings should end 5 minutes before the top or bottom of the hour. This would allow people to exit the conference room and the next batch to enter. They had the rules posted in several of the bigger rooms in the building. No one did it, especially the person who got it initiated, they were the worst always going over and not caring. Everyone was glad when they got poo poo canned when they pissed off the new owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GI_Clutch posted:

Hello, colleague.