Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

david_a posted:

Prehistoric Planet!

oh yeah WATCH THAT FIRST! it's amazeballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

mcmagic posted:

I would hold off on severance. It has a vicious cliffhanger so you'd want to watch it as close as possible to the next season. Watch Pachinko and For All Mankind. Even the dumb CGI dinosaur show is pretty fun.

I will wager that season 2 will have an equally vicious cliffhanger, so it's kind of a wash.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Thanks for the all the recommendations! I have a thing for nature shows, so will probably start with prehistoric planet and will do severance after.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Servant is also great. But Severance is absolutely amazing.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Tiny World and Earth at Night

Servant is dumb.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Thank shinto christ

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/tokyo-vice-renewed-for-season-2-at-hbo-max-1235160161/amp/

Now get Mann to direct the whole thing.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

cool maybe less outlandish selfserving lies regarding the main character, and demote him to a side character with the show revolving around ken watanabes character and the yakuza bro

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is Pachinko any good

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Ammanas posted:

cool maybe less outlandish selfserving lies regarding the main character, and demote him to a side character with the show revolving around ken watanabes character and the yakuza bro

Shame that it goes from having one of the best pilots I've ever seen to just meandering around for the rest of the season.

I want less time on gaijin hostesses club poo poo and Adelstein loving whores in S2 and more of a cat & mouse chase with the Yakuza / insurance people, ideally all directed by Mann.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I just finished Hacks season 2 and can’t recommend it hard enough. The show is so perfectly paced. Some shows would spend a whole season around things that just took place in one episode and Hacks would probably still have better character development.

And it is funny as gently caress but never really leans in to any stereotypes, and is kind of refreshing. One of many examples - Sweet Dee’s character could easily have been exactly what you first assume but nope, extremely understandable and normal
person with a very good story arc and some A+ scenes.

Really good.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I don't know how Adelstein doesn't get chopped up since he's rude and disrespectful to nearly everyone in power.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Keyser_Soze posted:

I don't know how Adelstein doesn't get chopped up since he's rude and disrespectful to nearly everyone in power.

It helps that he was/is the author.

mystes
May 31, 2006

In-story Adelstein is the author's self-insert character

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I will wager that season 2 will have an equally vicious cliffhanger, so it's kind of a wash.

Bleh you are likely right.

Steve Yun posted:

Is Pachinko any good

I thought it was.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I do really think there's so much to enjoy in almost every Severance episode that it's OK to end on a massive cliffhanger. Even if it never came back I'd still be happy I watched it. I'd be disappointed, but it's still worth it.

It's honestly only such a frustrating cliffhanger because at that point you really care about the characters and story as a result of it being well written and very well acted up to that point, so stay in the moment.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I either read this or made it up, and might try to google it, but the season originally had an episode after the finale. If I remember it right, Ben Stiller suggested leaving it there for the season (which was right imo). This is stupid I will google
it now sorry.

edit:

”Ben Stiller” posted:

We had a lot of discussions early on. It’s been a five-year process on this. I gave Dan’s script to Adam five years ago. Originally, we were going to go further and answer more questions, but I felt really strongly that there’s something about the mystery of the show that you want to live in. It is that balance of answering enough questions, but not too many. We settled on this because, in a way, it was the most emotionally resonant idea.

The full article is ALL SPOILERS. At least it sounds like there are answers they could have provided and didn’t, and as long as the writers are ahead of the audience it’ll probably be good.

:nws: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/severance-finale-ben-stiller-interview-1330692/amp/ :nws:

Severance is super good and careful about making you feel a bit crazy.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 8, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

spoilers: life ends on a cliffhanger :v:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

precision posted:

spoilers: life ends on a cliffhanger :v:

Devastating

I'd do a cartoonist's goodbye to my mum and then say something rude to my dad in hell

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 8, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Steve Yun posted:

Is Pachinko any good

Yes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Everything Everywhere All At Once is now available on Amazon Prime for $20

I wish they’d just hurry it up and make it free with subscription so I can yell at friends to go watch it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Steve Yun posted:

Everything Everywhere All At Once is now available on Amazon Prime for $20

I wish they’d just hurry it up and make it free with subscription so I can yell at friends to go watch it

It's so good. So much effort put into shots that are only a few seconds on screen.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

teagone posted:

I saw I had a Target Circle offer for 4 months of Apple TV+ and redeemed that, but also had a 3 month offer in my iPhone Apple TV app, and redeeming both stacked the duration lmao. I now have 7 months of free Apple TV+. What should I watch first?

If you're down with stage musicals, I've posted about Come From Away before:

Boxman posted:

There's a pro shot recording of the musical Come From Away on there that I can't praise enough. It tells the story of a small community who took in thousands of waylaid travelers after US airspace was closed on 9/11. It's pretty minimalist - small cast, sets that are mostly a bunch of chairs and tables - but the stories they find there are amazing. I'm a cynical bastard but it makes my cold dead heart swell every time. Maybe my favorite musical.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I've been dreaming again for the first time in a while as a consequence of smoking less weed, and literally every dream I've had has been about or in some way involved Severance.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

teagone posted:

I saw I had a Target Circle offer for 4 months of Apple TV+ and redeemed that, but also had a 3 month offer in my iPhone Apple TV app, and redeeming both stacked the duration lmao. I now have 7 months of free Apple TV+. What should I watch first?

People already answered what you should watch first, so I'll just add other stuff you should watch that I personally liked/loved

Shows:
Dickinson
Ted Lasso
Central Park

Films:
Wolfwalkers
Tragedy of Macbeth
Cha Cha Real Smooth (comes to the service on the 17th; I was lucky enough to see it at Sundance and it's wonderful)
Beastie Boys Story if you're a fan of the band like me
Billie Eilish: The World's a Little Blurry if you're a fan of the singer like me

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

mystes posted:

In-story Adelstein is the author's self-insert character

Not even a self-insert character, in the book its based on its supposed to literally be him, and everything really happened. (although a bunch of people have pointed out its almost certainly mostly bullshit.)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I need to give Everything Everywhere All At Once another shot but im def in the minority that thought it was cloying, cliche, and cornball. There's definitely tons of effort in every shot, you could almost find it tryhard, but i found the mother's arc enormously uncompelling and just the whole vibe of LOL UNIVERSE BAGEL GOSH WE SURE ARE ON A HELL PLANET JUST A BIG ROCK THAT COULD HAVE EASILY NOT HAD LIFE, GOSH EVER SINCE DONALD TRUMP GOT ELECTED I STOPPED BELIEVING IN NORMS AND VALUES, MUST BE JOJOJABACA...like, it's so cliche and tired despite the film also being (or trying to be) so wildly creative. It's a bunch of noise that really doesn't signal much, other than nicecore nihilism
Like if it clicks for you then good but honestly, just some Rick & Morty/Redditor level nonsense and the whole Woah I Know Kung Fu trope over and over and over.

It's sad cuz i really like the previous stuff the Daniels have done.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 8, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I need to give Everything Everywhere All At Once another shot but im def in the minority that thought it was cloying, cliche, and cornball. There's definitely tons of effort in every shot, you could almost find it tryhard, but i found the mother's arc enormously uncompelling and just the whole vibe of LOL UNIVERSE BAGEL GOSH WE SURE ARE ON A HELL PLANET JUST A BIG ROCK THAT COULD HAVE EASILY NOT HAD LIFE, GOSH EVER SINCE DONALD TRUMP GOT ELECTED I STOPPED BELIEVING IN NORMS AND VALUES, MUST BE JOJOJABACA...like, it's so cliche and tired.
Like if it clicks for you then good but honestly, just some Rick & Morty/Redditor level nonsense and the whole Woah I Know Kung Fu trope over and over and over.

:hmmyes:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
And yes, I know Jamie Lee Curtis had a lot of fun. I'm very very happy for her, but I was basically begging the film to end by the final act.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I thought EEAAO was pretty good but yeah I had tons of friends saying it was the best movie ever and things like that and I just did not get that at all.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I need to give Everything Everywhere All At Once another shot but im def in the minority that thought it was cloying, cliche, and cornball. There's definitely tons of effort in every shot, you could almost find it tryhard, but i found the mother's arc enormously uncompelling and just the whole vibe of LOL UNIVERSE BAGEL GOSH WE SURE ARE ON A HELL PLANET JUST A BIG ROCK THAT COULD HAVE EASILY NOT HAD LIFE, GOSH EVER SINCE DONALD TRUMP GOT ELECTED I STOPPED BELIEVING IN NORMS AND VALUES, MUST BE JOJOJABACA...like, it's so cliche and tired despite the film also being (or trying to be) so wildly creative. It's a bunch of noise that really doesn't signal much, other than nicecore nihilism

i sort of agree and feel that the film would have been better as a normal comedic drama especially given the quality of the actors involved but it'd be difficult to make without dipping/veering into lifetime movie territory. it could have lost 20 minutes and the last third should have been a lot tighter but i appreciate them doing something a little different.

the anal plug kung fu scenes fell completely flat to me though and almost took me out of the movie entirely.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Feels like it's a Hamilton - a small group goes nuts and everyone else wonders what the fuss was about (I haven't seen it yet).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ammanas posted:

the anal plug kung fu scenes fell completely flat to me though and almost took me out of the movie entirely.
It's full of GTA tier humor. It's just throwing so much at you that there's hits but also tons of misses.
Oh gosh a dildo!! B-but I'm a man!!! Oh no!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
culture and media have been getting increasingly less subtle

people like to clap and go "wheeee" because HEY IT'S THE THING

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's going to be freaking epic when the Daniels direct Shang Chi 2

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Chris James 2 posted:

People already answered what you should watch first, so I'll just add other stuff you should watch that I personally liked/loved

Shows:
Dickinson
Ted Lasso
Central Park

Films:
Wolfwalkers
Tragedy of Macbeth
Cha Cha Real Smooth (comes to the service on the 17th; I was lucky enough to see it at Sundance and it's wonderful)
Beastie Boys Story if you're a fan of the band like me
Billie Eilish: The World's a Little Blurry if you're a fan of the singer like me

Seen Wolfwalkers. Loved that. Not really a Billie Eilish or Beastie Boys fans, but thanks for the other recommendations :)

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I need to give Everything Everywhere All At Once another shot but im def in the minority that thought it was cloying, cliche, and cornball.

You're not alone. It's a well made film, but for me it was just a fair bit too quirky; felt like toilet humor parading around as highbrow indie artsy stuff. Great performances from all the actors though, and I like the concept of pulling talents from multiversal versions of yourself. But I just wasn't vibing with the emotional throughline of the movie at all.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm tired of multiverse poo poo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You might be tired of the multiverse, but the multiverse isn't tired of you.

mystes
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

You might be tired of the multiverse, but the multiverse isn't tired of you.
Marvel has already located many other versions of you who are very excited for more multiverse movies

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm tired of multiverse stuff and thought EEAAO was great. The jokes were zany but worked well with the film's message on basic existentialism through the prism of family and everyday life. Nothing like the empty monkey cheese bits some folks are accusing it of.

Everything suffers from high expectations when overhyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

teagone posted:

Seen Wolfwalkers. Loved that. Not really a Billie Eilish or Beastie Boys fans, but thanks for the other recommendations :)

You're not alone. It's a well made film, but for me it was just a fair bit too quirky; felt like toilet humor parading around as highbrow indie artsy stuff. Great performances from all the actors though, and I like the concept of pulling talents from multiversal versions of yourself. But I just wasn't vibing with the emotional throughline of the movie at all.

I guess I should say it was one of the most enjoyable films I've seen this year, but I don't think of it as high cinema. It was basically a toned down Rick and Morty. I just loved the cinematography.