Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yep, if it's part of the offboarding process and it's happening during working hours? That's fine and right up there with walking your laptop over to IT and handing in your badge at security. If it's on your dime I'll stand on my head and count backward in German if that's what you're paying me for.

If it's outside of work, i.e. during my private time? gently caress right off with that.

I'll also give a carve out for if you're some kind of high earner or have a senior position where the lines between personal and company time blur a bunch anyways. In some hypothetical world where I'm drawing seven figures for consulting with your company or I'm the CFO or whatever? Sure, whatever. The relationship is much different than being a help desk drone and those kinds of expectations of increased access go with the increased pay.

But if you're giving me $60k a year to organize paperwork and shuffle emails? Either schedule the exit interview for while I'm still an employee or pay my consulting rate if knowing how I feel is that important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've never personally seen this but a big fuckin' :lol::lol: at it. Quote them a consulting rate if they want your time after you're no longer their employee.
It was my first dropped-out-of-college-job as a phone monkey so my rate would have been pretty lovely. I believe my exact words were "what could you gain from this that you didn't already from my court filings?" There are places I'd be happy to go and give an exit interview to on my own time, but those ones have never asked.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

The only place I left with an exit interview process in place scheduled it when I first resigned, then notified me they were refusing to process my resignation and I was to continue to come in and canceled the exit interview. Then a week after my initial leave date they decided to immediately process my resignation one evening effective the next business day.

No one rescheduled the exit interview and I just left. Can't remember if they did or didn't send me an email about it afterwards but if so I didn't bother with it.

Pretty sure a lot of that was just a c- level being mad that me leaving on my schedule reduced their feeling of control, and who wanted to make resigning feel emotionally as close to being fired as they could possibly manage.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

They refused to process your resignation and instead you come in? :wtc:

How can they do that? How in gods name did they expect to force you to keep working for them?

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

It was definitely an extreme :wtf: situation. Obviously I could have just walked out anyway, but I was in a narrow industry and trying to maintain re-hire eligibility among other complexities.

Really glad to have switched careers since then.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've never personally seen this but a big fuckin' :lol::lol: at it. Quote them a consulting rate if they want your time after you're no longer their employee.

Yeah, that's some bull. Places I've been either didn't do them or scheduled usually a day or so before the last day. Last day was usually "pretend to work until IT shuts off your access then awkwardly go home".

I did jump on a call with a buddy when something I used to own didn't get handed over, but that was 100% helping a friend, not a company

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Eric the Mauve posted:

there's no upside

There is no upside for doing them either. Just make sure they know it's not personal. "As a matter of personal policy, I must decline to do any exit interviews" and if they don't like it, that's a shame.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Lockback posted:

Yeah, that's some bull. Places I've been either didn't do them or scheduled usually a day or so before the last day. Last day was usually "pretend to work until IT shuts off your access then awkwardly go home".

I did jump on a call with a buddy when something I used to own didn't get handed over, but that was 100% helping a friend, not a company

Lol I love last day "why am I even here" it's closest you can get to attending your own funeral.

Maybe "the day after your own funeral"

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I am going through 3 months of notice and I can already see my handover duties being completed soon, I asked to end the notice period early. Turns out my (only) colleague is on holiday during those two weeks, so my boss denied my request (which is his right to be fair, even though they only got those two weeks because I wanted to give them a chance to counter). The expectation is, that I will be the sole person in my role at the company for my last two weeks. So no one to hand off to or anything, just keeping things running. Those two weeks will be very interesting. Can't do project work or anything at that point. I'll literally sit around only to do quick change requests or handle escalated tickets.

Hell, already I am limited to working on a few last projects that I can likely complete before my end date and doing day2day stuff.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Magnetic North posted:

There is no upside for doing them either. Just make sure they know it's not personal. "As a matter of personal policy, I must decline to do any exit interviews" and if they don't like it, that's a shame.

i would absolutely guffaw at a mf that told me this

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i would absolutely guffaw at a mf that told me this

Went over fine when I did it. My director kept emailing me trying to ask about poo poo (not work poo poo, but "why are you leaving") so I just ignored him. The HR drone I'd never spoken just accepted it and collected my badge. :shrug:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That’s fine that you don’t give a gently caress about what your director thinks of you after you’re gone, but a lot of people including myself would care and would just go along with what they ask me to do during work hours for the most part. Recommendations and networking are often a powerful driver of career growth over your lifetime, why kneecap that needlessly

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lockback posted:

I don't understand the goon aversion to an exit interview. If they are scheduling it during your paid working time, you should give professional, polite feedback. There's lots of examples of companies using that feedback to improve the conditions, and enough people saying "Yeah, I am leaving for better compensation" is how you lift the tide in an industry. If you're concerned an exit interview will tarnish your professional reputation then ditching it certainly won't help, but you're leaving either way so it's not going to hurt you. Don't be whiny or try to throw mud or settle scores, but you can be direct. In my past 2 jobs I have seen compensation, PTO and even medical insurance options change driven by exit interviews.

But lol, no one is going to sue you unless you're in a very, very specific situations that is well beyond "getting advice from strangers on a dead forum" scope.

Apparently goons will do anything to avoid a 15 minute conversation. Agree that it's totally bizarre. This shouldn't really cost you anything unless you plan on spontaneously confessing to crimes during the exit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
"I learned a lot here but I definitely have regrets about shooting JFK, I could have handled that situation more professionally"

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

My exit interviews are usually “I enjoyed working here but I’m looking for a new challenge, more money etc. If I were you I’d change X system to reduce headaches and processes Y and Z to make the life of a $job_title easier. Thanks for the chat, have a good one!” Nothing really difficult about it but I’ve never left under difficult circumstances or been asked for an exit interview on my own dime.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Eric the Mauve posted:

"I learned a lot here but I definitely have regrets about shooting JFK, I could have handled that situation more professionally"

Hey wait I’ve seen the pictures when they walked him out after this exit interview. No thank you!

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
Well, I hosed up. I have been somewhat passively looking for a job and got an initial interview with the recruiter tomorrow. The initial email she sent asked for resume, times to interview and pay. I checked glassdoor, saw they were paying regular reps on average 52 and about 75 with extras, and specialty reps 72K plus bonuses commission, etc, so about 100k. So I said I wanted 75-90k base, with my total compensation being 125k-150k per year. This is a pharma sales job. You get a car, gas card and credit card, 401k match and 2 weeks (ridiculous!) vacation. In the job description it mentions "uncapped incentive compensation"

She gets back to me, well we can only do 50-60k base and you will top out at 85k. :wtf: I am in passive job hunting mode, because I have a job I don't actively hate, so I figure this is a good time to brush up on interview and negotiation skills. I reply back that if I were to take a step back in compensation I would expect there to be a return in my long term prospects regarding both compensation and title. She replies asking if I can do a date and time outside of the ones I listed, I say no and reiterate my time availability. We settle on tomorrow at 9am.

Rereading the thread, I know I hosed up on giving a range. This is a small ish company 200+ employees, with FDA approved lines. I am shooting for increased 401K match, extra vacation, and personal use of the company car if that is not already included, because gently caress gas prices right now. I also want guarantees on promotional opportunities (guaranteed interview for managerial roles/national account roles), and equity guarantees. Did I already gently caress myself out of all of this?

Thanks in advance.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mr. Toodles posted:

Well, I hosed up. I have been somewhat passively looking for a job and got an initial interview with the recruiter tomorrow. The initial email she sent asked for resume, times to interview and pay. I checked glassdoor, saw they were paying regular reps on average 52 and about 75 with extras, and specialty reps 72K plus bonuses commission, etc, so about 100k. So I said I wanted 75-90k base, with my total compensation being 125k-150k per year. This is a pharma sales job. You get a car, gas card and credit card, 401k match and 2 weeks (ridiculous!) vacation. In the job description it mentions "uncapped incentive compensation"

She gets back to me, well we can only do 50-60k base and you will top out at 85k. :wtf: I am in passive job hunting mode, because I have a job I don't actively hate, so I figure this is a good time to brush up on interview and negotiation skills. I reply back that if I were to take a step back in compensation I would expect there to be a return in my long term prospects regarding both compensation and title. She replies asking if I can do a date and time outside of the ones I listed, I say no and reiterate my time availability. We settle on tomorrow at 9am.

Rereading the thread, I know I hosed up on giving a range. This is a small ish company 200+ employees, with FDA approved lines. I am shooting for increased 401K match, extra vacation, and personal use of the company car if that is not already included, because gently caress gas prices right now. I also want guarantees on promotional opportunities (guaranteed interview for managerial roles/national account roles), and equity guarantees. Did I already gently caress myself out of all of this?

Thanks in advance.

You're not going to get a guaranteed promotion. And a pro forma interview to not give you a promotion is both silly and worth nothing. Not sure what you're looking for there.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

leper khan posted:

You're not going to get a guaranteed promotion. And a pro forma interview to not give you a promotion is both silly and worth nothing. Not sure what you're looking for there.

You're right, and that was a poor choice of words. I guess I'm trying to figure what I can ask for if I can't get the money. I don't want a job where I am going to languish in a rep role for 5-10 years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't know that there's a useful answer to that question. If they're being skinflint on salary they will also be skinflint on other things that might not be salary but nevertheless cost them money, which they aren't interested in spending. If you hosed up here, it was by not saying "sorry to hear that, you can call me if you change your mind, bye" when they said "tops out at 85K" (for a phrama sales rep? Seriously???)

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't know that there's a useful answer to that question. If they're being skinflint on salary they will also be skinflint on other things that might not be salary but nevertheless cost them money, which they aren't interested in spending. If you hosed up here, it was by not saying "sorry to hear that, you can call me if you change your mind, bye" when they said "tops out at 85K" (for a phrama sales rep? Seriously???)

Ok. I felt like my target was on point for the industry, but I shouldn't have come out and said. Time to review the thread!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah you messed up but it also didn't matter because y'all were so far apart in acceptable ranges. Free practice that cost you nothing!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Magnetic North posted:

Went over fine when I did it. My director kept emailing me trying to ask about poo poo (not work poo poo, but "why are you leaving") so I just ignored him. The HR drone I'd never spoken just accepted it and collected my badge. :shrug:

i wouldn't like, make you do it or whatever because that would be silly but i would immediately view you as a clown because an exit interview on the company's time is absolutely a norm that you are ignoring because ????

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The fact that he ignored his boss asking why he is leaving is also insane. Like, yes, you are not going to go to jail for not answering the question, but it’s also a reasonable human thing for your boss to wonder. Ignoring it would be considered a dick or clown move. If you really want to for whatever reason you could have given a politically correct saccharine response without saying the real reason, but you didn’t even want to do that.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Exit Interviews: The Richard Clown Story

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So I had a great interview last week, the department head even complimented me at the end. He told me I'd hear back from them yesterday. No contact all day, I emailed him saying I was expecting their call. He thanked me for the reminder, said he is waiting to hear back from their board and that he will contact me today. Today is over and still nothing...
Any other job I would have already closed out on, but I actually thought the interview went great and I generally had a good first impression. How much slack do I cut them before severing all ties? I mean I do believe he is probably waiting on their board, but why is he committing to such timelines if he can't keep them. And he could still let me know that I will have to wait a bit longer.
Should I give him the benefit of the doubt and just assume incompetence/forgetfulness?

I plan to comfront him about this anyway, because if this is an indicator of how things are going to be when I'm there, I think I changed my mind.

IDK, I really thought this could be going somewhere, but this behavior feels so unprofessional to me :saddowns:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't understand why you think this means you have to :sever: like they're a crazy ex. You just move forward with your job search assuming this one didn't work out, and if they do get back to you, great. If you interpret their not keeping their word as to when they'd contact you as a red flag (not an unreasonable interpretation at all) then raise your asking price if they ultimately make you an offer.

I don't understand what you think is to gain from "confronting" him.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
He could have set expectations for turn around time better but this it's common for orgs to have a bunch of slow moving parts that take a while to get to you. I had a friend who got "strung along" for 3 weeks but ultimately got the role and is very happy with it. His was senior manager role and required a bit more approval/review but it ultimately was just the company being slow. Nothing weird/bad was going on.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Check out teamblind posts about how long Google takes to get back to people. A few days is nothing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

So I had a great interview last week, the department head even complimented me at the end. He told me I'd hear back from them yesterday. No contact all day, I emailed him saying I was expecting their call. He thanked me for the reminder, said he is waiting to hear back from their board and that he will contact me today. Today is over and still nothing...
Any other job I would have already closed out on, but I actually thought the interview went great and I generally had a good first impression. How much slack do I cut them before severing all ties? I mean I do believe he is probably waiting on their board, but why is he committing to such timelines if he can't keep them. And he could still let me know that I will have to wait a bit longer.
Should I give him the benefit of the doubt and just assume incompetence/forgetfulness?

I plan to comfront him about this anyway, because if this is an indicator of how things are going to be when I'm there, I think I changed my mind.

IDK, I really thought this could be going somewhere, but this behavior feels so unprofessional to me :saddowns:

Delays in the hiring process are super common. I don't think I've ever gotten a follow up as quickly as was promised. It's certainly annoying, but you're very much overreacting to the circumstances here. There's no reason to "confront" anyone or "sever all ties" because it takes them a couple days more than expected.

A friendly professional reminder the evening of the day you were expecting a response is plenty. Follow up every few days thereafter if you're feeling anxious.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

You should leave a dozen voicemails

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Unless you mean comfort him, which is super considerate.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't understand why you think this means you have to :sever: like they're a crazy ex. You just move forward with your job search assuming this one didn't work out, and if they do get back to you, great. If you interpret their not keeping their word as to when they'd contact you as a red flag (not an unreasonable interpretation at all) then raise your asking price if they ultimately make you an offer.

I don't understand what you think is to gain from "confronting" him.

Well you are right that I phrased that somewhat poorly, but I have tried being a bit more deliberate on stopping applications that won't go anywhere to preserve my time. I am also wanting to make a final decision soon and I don't like someone (over)committing to an admittedly extremely short timeframe and then just not following up at all.
The reason I'm antsy about this is simply that I was pretty much finalizing my applications and getting ready to decide between a few offers but am delaying all of that for their offer, because of how the interview went.

What I mean about confronting him is mentioning to him that he told me a definitive date twice and both times failed to actually follow up and try to get a good excuse that makes me feel like this won't be a permanent issue if I work there.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Every single company has had unexpected delays in hiring approvals from time to time. You can project that that means a poor company, but I don't think that's a very good bellwether, given how little time has actually passed.

If you have some hard time lines let them know but then be done. Looking for excuses isn't a very worthwhile endeavor imo.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

And if you think that exercise through, if they do come up with “worthy” excuses, they might just be brilliant bullshitters. There’s no way that’s a reliable bellwether for…much of anything, I’d think.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SEKCobra posted:

I've hilighted the most important part here. Both you and he share one trait: you over-estimate his ability to influence the board.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

“Sorry, <Board Member X> went out on vacation and isn’t back until next week.”

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

If I was hiring for a position and I read the candidate talking through their mindset as you are here (kind of like a crazy ex) I would not hire them.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

There's delays in hiring all the time. My HR recommendation is to take a poo poo on his desk to establish dominance. You should have a decision very shortly afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Parallelwoody posted:

There's delays in hiring all the time. My HR recommendation is to take a poo poo on his desk to establish dominance. You should have a decision very shortly afterwards.

The true reason for corporations favouring hot-desking is finally revealed