Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, here's Disney's latest offering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSyxZkHtkj0

Disney's been on hot streak lately, I guess we were due for a dud.

Yeah, that does not look good. Also that girls voice seems off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

So when do Phineas and Ferb show up?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah that about sums up my feelings

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Talk about an incredibly lazy/contrived way of setting up the premise. The only way this show makes sense is if it was actually written by a little kid.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Is it by the Phineas & Ferb guys? The guy's artstyle looks similar.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Is it by the Phineas & Ferb guys? The guy's artstyle looks similar.

By one of them at least, it looks like Dan and Swampy have split to work on their own separate shows (Dan’s working solo on their, it looks like Jeff is pivoting to working on a preschool show at least in a producer capacity)

Taking that into account, I’ll be the outlier and say this looks ok so far? I mean as ok as a 3 minute short that very much feels like it was produced to be shown as preview before the actual show, it does have some semblance of that P&F feeling in it (the whole aliens come to bestow powers and then be outtie is very much a gag I could see play on it)

Really I’m wondering if Dan takes any of the things he learned from Milo Murphy (RIP) in terms of story arc’s and whatnot. Neither of the two shows ever had anything near serial storytelling but Milo definitely dabbled into having story beats that lead toward a conclusion at the end of the season. Then again, it could just be a goofy superhero show and it’ll prob be fine no more, no less.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phineas and Ferb didn't really look like much, but it managed to really make up for it with structural strength, so it's possible the show may have that going for it.

I think it also may be one of those things where this show isn't meant to have any kind of adult/ya appeal so it'll naturally have less appeal to it from that perspective. I guess Disney does kind of have a void with that demographic now that both Amphibia and Owl House are over. I wonder if they've got any plans to fill that soon. I think that category might also suffer more than the Disney Channel's other target demographics from how the Disney Channel is a weird small-fry ghetto that the rest of the company doesn't really like so they have difficulty getting tie-in merch and stuff and can't really ascend beyond just a show without competing with the rest of the company.

There was that Princess and the Frog show that was supposedly in the works ever since the end of the Tangled show, I wonder when that's going to finally show up or if it got canned.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Phineas and Ferb didn't really look like much, but it managed to really make up for it with structural strength, so it's possible the show may have that going for it.

I think it also may be one of those things where this show isn't meant to have any kind of adult/ya appeal so it'll naturally have less appeal to it from that perspective. I guess Disney does kind of have a void with that demographic now that both Amphibia and Owl House are over. I wonder if they've got any plans to fill that soon. I think that category might also suffer more than the Disney Channel's other target demographics from how the Disney Channel is a weird small-fry ghetto that the rest of the company doesn't really like so they have difficulty getting tie-in merch and stuff and can't really ascend beyond just a show without competing with the rest of the company.

There was that Princess and the Frog show that was supposedly in the works ever since the end of the Tangled show, I wonder when that's going to finally show up or if it got canned.

Owl House isn’t over yet (we’re still getting three 44 minute specials to wrap things up) but point still stands

I am curious if the days of serialized cartoons on Disney are truly numbered at this point or if they’ll change their minds in the future (though I imagine big franchises like Marvel and Star Wars will be exempt from this rule)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 6, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Larryb posted:

Owl House isn’t over yet (we’re still getting three 44 minute specials to wrap things up) but point still stands

I am curious if the days of serialized cartoons on Disney are truly numbered at this point or if they’ll change their minds in the future (though I imagine big franchises like Marvel and Star Wars will be exempt from this rule)

They've probably gone back and forth on that before. Serialised cartoons are what the kids and not quite kids want and what all the animators want to make now since they all grew up on anime.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/HannaBarberaCap/status/1533540450207924226

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I saw this earlier because I follow the creator on YouTube. I didn't like it but I also got the vibe this show was aimed at a younger audience then his previous shows.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oof

https://twitter.com/cnschedules/status/1534251657952956416?s=21

-_-

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Bizarre out of nowhere sexist take aside, surely they remember what happened last time Cartoon Network tried to break into the live action space, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There have been two cycles of live-action Cartoon Network, right? One had Hole in the Wall. I don’t remember the other.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

cn real: for gurlz :biglips:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cattail Prophet posted:

Bizarre out of nowhere sexist take aside, surely they remember what happened last time Cartoon Network tried to break into the live action space, right?

No see last time they were trying to do reality shows, now we want to get that mid-2000s Nickelodeon/Disney money with mediocre sitcoms!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TMOMTtAMBI&t=12s

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
CN can't die fast enough.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Market research people are loving deranged and constantly demand that reality conform to their models.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ConanThe3rd posted:

CN can't die fast enough.
Adult Swim is certainly dying, I wonder what that means for CN too
https://twitter.com/thismyshow/status/1533184619608444928

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
idk I'm not shocked at all that they'd put those movies direct to streaming. None of those shows have been on in years, it's not like they're striking while the iron's hot.

Might as well be surprised the Zim/Rocko/Hey Arnold movies didn't come out on Nick.

e: I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if AS does go down but I don't think those movies are quite the smoking gun that dude seems to think they are.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Whats the point of these major corporations having separate channels at this point instead of just putting everything on their steaming platform?

How long is broadcast television even going to last?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Given AS is the vaguely successful half of CN, probably nothing good.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Space Robot posted:

How long is broadcast television even going to last?
Broadcast television can last forever, it's free airwaves, someone will always watch something, even if that something eventually becomes endless reruns of old shows

As for cable television, at this rate I'd say it has another decade

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do kinda miss TV sometimes, but not enough to pay for cable again.

There's a long history of companies having separate studios and when they're big enough, separate groups of studios for working on separate projects, and as one of the biggest companies in the business, it makes sense to have multiple divisions, although all the corporate mergers make the structure more arcane. There used to be a lot more animation companies floating around that weren't even directly owned by television companies, but there's been a lot of vertical integration along with horizontal expansion.

I really don't know what the internal structure of Warner Bros. Discovery is at this point. It's largely a bad thing that the company has katamari'd so much of its industry together into one place, and I think that Netflix has shown how animation lacks respect in the industry and may often be the first thing on the chopping block. I think that Cartoon Network might be one of the oldest parts of the company dedicated to television animation, built originally by Turner out of the bones of Hannah Barbera, while WB's own TV animation branch got redirected more to movies. DC has its own entire branch that includes TV stuff, but I don't think they have any good cartoons going right now.

I also think that at this point, Cartoon Network is probably still the biggest television animation group out there. So much of the current talent in the business was fostered there, and it still has more shows going than other companies. Disney I don't think has many separate TV brands despite having done even more katamari-ing, and I think they might have more restrictive standards compared to other companies. Netflix is scaling back. Nickelodeon is kind of limping along with its animation, but they seem to have been trying to ditch it for a while, and definitely they don't seem willing to foster much creative new animation shows and instead mostly stick with reincarnations of old hits while trying to fill any gaps with cheaper, more forgettable live action sitcoms. Which is the trail that Cartoon Network has tried a few times to go down only to veer away with continued animation successes, but now it seems like they're trying again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
For what it's worth, I hope it let's then try something like Tower Prep again since that was apparently good, but got murdered due to executives going way too hard on focusing on boys.
https://www.bustle.com/articles/11119-according-to-tower-prep-creator-girls-were-the-reason-the-show-was-cancelled

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
drat hell yeah just put all the adultswin on hbomax. No rules no masters!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Yvonmukluk posted:

is disney only capable of symbol animation now?
also the timing and line readings are really just... not good on like a fundamental level

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Valve Steam Deck posted:

If CBS can give us 24 hours straight of Ridiculousness on MTV's 40th anniversary, then Warner will absolutely find a way to jam 36 hours worth of Teen Titans Go into the same amount of time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

If CBS can give us 24 hours straight of Ridiculousness on MTV's 40th anniversary, then Warner will absolutely find a way to jam 36 hours worth of Teen Titans Go into the same amount of time.

I made a tweet about this offhandedly, but I honestly think it would probably help print more money and ride that property into the ground: A Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast style series but aimed at kids with TTG characters instead of Space Ghost ones.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Netflix aren’t giving up everything animated it seems.

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1521509005075619840

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
looks like a cute enough concept. I mean, I'd like to see a trailer, but I like the style

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm near the end of naruto Shippuden and just wanted to say that the Tailed Beast Counting Song is adorable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1ddFO23qHo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TwoPair posted:

looks like a cute enough concept. I mean, I'd like to see a trailer, but I like the style

There’s a very small clip been released:

https://twitter.com/shakirapressley/status/1521529103911845888

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/peter-rice-dana-walden-disney-content-chief-out-1235289315/

Don’t know enough about her to know if this is a good thing or a bad thing when it comes to future content on the network though

Edit: More info on the above:

https://deadline.com/2022/06/peter-rice-exiting-disney-dana-walden-1235041460/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 9, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Netflix aren’t giving up everything animated it seems.

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1521509005075619840
shows produced by outside studios are still gonna happen. they announced a couple new anime projects with Studio Wit and a CG anime studio, and Powerhouse is working on Skull Island and a second season of Kevin Smith's He-Man

it's just the productions that had in-house crew that are over (even if they were co-productions). which is like, City of Ghosts (cancelled), the followup to Maya & the Three (Kung-Fu Space Punch), Boons and Curses (killed mid-development), Bone (killed mid-development), Centaurworld (ended but creators wanted to do more), Pearl (killed mid-development), Dead End: Paranormal Park (likely cancelled but will at least air next week), Kid Cosmic (which ended anyway), Inside Job (pt 2 airs in the near future), Antiracist Baby (killed mid-development), Wings of Fire (killed mid-development)

Entergalactic is still happening, Dragon Prince is at least not being shelved as they showed a trailer for the fourth season today, and then for the rest I guess it comes down to who is providing the most resources, since Netflix seems to not want to do it locally anymore. Like, Sonic Prime is happening still, and I assume that most if not all of its production is handled by WildBrain and Man of Action.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 9, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

shows produced by outside studios are still gonna happen. they announced a couple new anime projects with Studio Wit and a CG anime studio, and Powerhouse is working on Skull Island and a second season of Kevin Smith's He-Man

Yeah, as I understand it all Netflix’s announcement means is they won’t be doing much in the way of in-house animation anymore (anything not directly made by them is still fair game)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Decided to do a watch of The Loud House and I’m going to post my thoughts as I go until I get to the end or get bored and lose interest. I’ll stop if it starts annoying people. The messages in this thing get really sus at times and I need to vent.

1A) Left in the Dark
Story by Chris Savino and Karla Sakas
Written and Soryboarded by Chris Savino
Directed by Chris Savino
(Keeping track so I can see who the good/bad writers/artists are over time)

Synopsis: Lincoln wants to watch a show but there’s only one TV so he manipulates his sisters into doing other things to get it for himself. In doing so he trips the breaker and antics ensue as the siblings try to go get the power back on. Eventually they succeed but by then the show is over. As a consolation though they got (honestly kind of embarrassing) footage of their adventure which they all watch together.

Thoughts: Ok so first off let’s get the obligatory notice that Chris Savino is a sex pest and sucks rear end out of the way. Not sure if his habit of harassing female employees will seep into his writing but I (don’t) look forward to finding out. Just assume I put this in every post going forward.

That aside the episode itself was… fine? A lot of what I hate about the show overall is here right at the beginning. Clyde is a creepy weirdo and I hate him, Luanne is a one note pun machine who is literally never funny, and a lot of the jokes just kind of fall flat. That said, a lot of what I like is here as well. The basic premise of the show is really solid and I genuinely love the newspaper strip aesthetic it has going. I think the building blocks of something fantastic are here, but they are underutilized thanks to weak writing and shallow characterization. That said I think Lincoln himself works alright as a protagonist more or less. He’s a bit of a manipulative dick but it’s never hateful and usually to understandable ends.

Themes and morals: “It’s not about being there first, it’s about being there… together”

…wat?

Ok, so I think the thing that fascinates me about this show is how badly it handles the messages it sends. In some cases this means inadvertently embracing really dumb or even toxic ideas but here I just think the handling if the themes are kind of sloppy. What Lincoln wants (to watch an episode of a tv show) is petty but not unreasonable, and the methods he employs to get what he wants are manipulative but by no means harmful. He gets one sister a second TV to watch their own thing elsewhere, he has the twins throw a tea party in another room, he gives another sister a toy to have a flashlight rave or something idk, etc. Nothing that causes any real harm. And yet he’s in the wrong somehow and needs to make up for his mistakes later by taking point and going into the dark basement at the end. But, like, no he’s not? gently caress you show? And then at the end they wrap things up with a moral about the joys of doing things together which wasn’t really the lesson Lincoln needed to learn. He’s not a loner and the only reason he didn’t invite Clyde is because the kid is a weird stalker. It’s not an outright problematic message but it doesn’t really follow the events of the show either. Which is weird to me because it’s a pretty basic story template that seems hard to mess up.

Final thoughts: So… why didn’t you just watch this thing at Clyde’s house?

E: Let’s not spam up the thread with multiple posts

1B) Get the message
Written by Alec Schwimmet
Storyboarded by Kyle Marshal
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: Lori steps on Lincoln’s VR headset causing Lincoln to have a minor freakout. He writes up a swear-filled screed about how much Lori sucks and leaves it as a message on her phone. In a surprise twist though Lori had gone to buy him a replacement and now Lincoln will look like an rear end if she listens to that message. He enlists Clyde to help and hijinks ensue as they try to delete the message. They fail but she deletes the message without listening so he’s fine and has learned a valuable lesson about discussing our feelings to people’s faces. Then Lori finds the original script Lincoln wrote and I assume pile drives him as the credits roll.

Thoughts: this is a notable improvement over the previous episode and I chalk it up to the storyboarding work. There’s a ton of fun posing and cool little animation moments throughout the episode along with with a more cohesive story with a moral that actually makes sense. A lot of the humor doesn’t work (stop saying “human pretzel”! :argh:) but some of it, like Clyde’s nosebleed, land pretty well. There’s also a lot of gross out humor here which I could have done without but whatever.

Also, I still hate Luanne and Clyde. They suck so bad. The goth sister is kind of fun though so credit where it’s due.

Themes and morals: “Try discussing things to people’s faces before calling them a b**** in a long ranty voicemail” (yes, it’s heavily implied he used that word, lmao) is actually a pretty solid moral I can get behind. Though I think it’s undermined a bit by Lori not explaining the situation to Lincoln before leaving to buy the replacement. I mean, what was he supposed to think? Another thing that bothers me is that you never actually see them have an open conversation about their feelings which I think would be helpful for kids to see modeled. Still, it’s a pretty decent episode on this front so I’ll take my Ws where I can get them. Not much to say on this front otherwise.

Final thoughts: VR does not work that way! GOOD NIGHT!!!

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 10, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Redwall should still be coming as it has not been announced as being canceled.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
E: Adding this to make finding old posts easier in case I need to find out who wrote an episode.

readingatwork posted:

1A) Left in the Dark

1B) Get the message

More episode-by-episode bitching about The Loud House:

Season 1, Ep 2A) Heavy Meddle
Written by Ava Tramer
Storyboarded by Miguel Puga
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: Lincoln is getting bullied at school. After spending half the episode getting gum out of his hair and trying to keep his sisters from finding out and getting involved they promptly find out and get involved. However in a shocking twist it's revealed that Lincoln's bully is actually... a girl!?!? Which of course means that his bully is in love with him and they should date. After a little convincing Lincoln decides he's into that idea and walks right up to his bully off screen and kisses her without her consent which earns him a black eye. It seems like the sisters were wrong after all but shortly afterwords a note is thrown into his window from his bully asking him to call her later. Could this be the start of a romance!? (Yes it is. The bully's name is Ronnie-Anne and while she's off-screen for the entire episode she becomes a regular later and eventually gets her own spin-off show)

Thoughts: This isn't the worst episode of a kid's show I've ever seen but that's only because I've watched some real dumpster fires in my day (She-zow anybody?). Most of this is due to the painfully bad messages the show sends but it's also pretty bad on it's own terms as well. In addition to not being a terribly impressive episode visually it also has no jokes that land and a ton of gross-out humor built around used chewing gum which I hated every minute of. Seriously, I do NOT need to see a kid eat used chewing gum that many times. Also, this episode does NOT makes Lincoln's family look good. They come across as concerned for his wellbeing but in a very self-serving way that doesn't ever take Lincoln's feelings into account. It's supposed to be endearing but honestly I think it would be an unbearable environment to live in.

Themes and morals: Episodes like this are why I can't just watch an episode, decide it's bad, and call it a day. It's not just bad but fascinatingly bad in a way that almost perfectly sends the exact wrong message. This poo poo needs to be dissected. People need to be informed!

Let's make a list of all the bad ideas explored in this episode, shall we?
  • Gender essentialism: The girls are depicted as being instinctively more in tune with love and relationships while Lincoln is naturally clueless. This is a tired cliche and I hate it. It really makes me miss the emotional nuance in a show like Steven Universe which for all it's faults put a lot more thought into how characters interacted and resolved disputes.
  • Bullying: When it's discovered that Lincoln is being bullied by a girl the siblings immediately assume that the bully has a crush and are ultimately proven to be correct. The possibility that it's just, you know, normal bullying is never brought up and I can only assume it's because the writers can't fathom a boy being bullied by a girl. It also gets weird when you look at it from the bully's POV since their behavior was ultimately rewarded with the relationship they were seeking.
  • Relationships: Even if the bullying is rooted in a crush is that a good foundation for a relationship? That seems... unhealthy. Also the possibility that Lincoln might not be into the girl that's been making his life hell all week is never acknowledged and I get the distinct feeling that his siblings would have pressured him into dating his bully even if he weren't into it (cuz girls be into relationships).
  • Consent and personal boundaries: Why on earth would you have the protagonist of a kid's show walk up and kiss a girl without her permission? And why would you then have this actually get Lincoln the girl in the end!? Yes, in a vaccuum this is a small thing but this idea that's constantly sent to young guys that they need to overcome a girl's objections to get together with them is literally the reason so many men have no clue what rape is or how consent works. It's a serious problem in American media and it was fascinating to find such a perfect example of it in the wild in such a recent kid's show. Bonus points for the director of this scene being a sex pest.

Just... incredible stuff. Absolutely zero thought into the messages they were sending. And the craziest part is that this still isn't the worst episode of this show.

Final thoughts: Can these straight cartoons stop shoving their heterosexuality in our faces please? Children watch this filth for Pete's sake!!

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

readingatwork posted:

awesome effort post

Please never stop doing these. I've never seen the show and it's fascinating to have each episode broken down like this.