Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

The Notorious ZSB posted:

a decidedly more interesting premise than "more muscled gun guys get chewed up by the predator".

They haven't actually done this since the first Predator and I'm not sure why. I guess they figure no one they could get would fare well in a direct comparison to prime Arnold, but I think it's a pretty major part of Predator's appeal that its characters could all obviously chew YOU up and spit you out with just their pectorals. It always disappointed each time a Predator movie was announced and the cast is just "regular Hollywood fit" and not "80s bodybuilder action hero" fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

We've been pretty lucky as it is that he has even wanted to continue working this long. A lot of directors go into at least a semi-retirement by age 70, let alone 80. Not that every single one of his recent films has been great but he did just make one of my favorites of last year, The Last Duel. So he's clearly still got it.

He was ready to retire, but Tony's death absolutely wrecked him to his core and he threw himself into working as frequently as possible as a way of processing his grief.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It's the clean digital cinematography, the noticeable CGI, and the modern accents in English. I don't think it looks bad at all in an objective sense, but it doesn't have enough verisimilitude for us to take it as seriously as the trailer seems to want us to. It's probably not fair to expect a direct-to-Hulu franchise sequel to go full-on Passion of the Christ, but that's more or less what you'd have to do if you want to really do justice to the concept they went with.

You worded that better than I did. Thank you

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

predator has always been hokey

Oh, no doubt. And I don't mind hokey but, from what I saw, Prey seems to be begging to be taken seriously.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People who don’t like Prometheus and covenant sicken me to my core.

Don’t @ me with a retort you sick fucks

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

covenant has the neomorphs and the neomorphs pwned

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell yea

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

People who don’t like Prometheus and covenant sicken me to my core.

Don’t @ me with a retort you sick fucks

@

—edit, the @ doesn’t even need a retort because it’s a priori knowledge that Prometheus is a bad Alien movie.

Cool generic sci-fi/horror movie though.

It’s kind of like the Doom movie with The Rock, it’s a pretty solid and entertaining sci-fi action horror flick, but an abysmal Doom movie.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 9, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wrongo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nah

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nah

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m here to fight for the right to preserve Prometheus day without incident!!!!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Do you only like good Alien movies, or do you like other good sci fi movies too? Because that was the statement, that Prometheus is good, not that it fits some sort of personal definition you have about whether it's a good Alien movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Do you only like good Alien movies, or do you like other good sci fi movies too? Because that was the statement, that Prometheus is good, not that it fits some sort of personal definition you have about whether it's a good Alien movie.

I’m not sure who you’re referring to but I personally like Prometheus as a movie (rewatched it this past Alien Day in fact) but think it’s a bad Alien movie that gains no benefit from being connected to ‘Alien’ and rather actively harms ‘Alien’ by trying to over-explain things that didn’t need explaining.

Covenant is also a cool movie but not a great Alien movie, for partly the same reasons although I can handwave some of those problems as the movie being vague enough for reinterpretation.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think they’re both great alien movies. My only criteria for an alien movie is they have some kind of xeno like thing and Weyland Yutaini trying to secure some hosed poo poo for profit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
To be honest I should apologize because you've explained your views on this before and I don't quite get it but also I was kind of a dick right there with that post. Sorry about that.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not sure who you’re referring to but I personally like Prometheus as a movie (rewatched it this past Alien Day in fact) but think it’s a bad Alien movie that gains no benefit from being connected to ‘Alien’ and rather actively harms ‘Alien’ by trying to over-explain things that didn’t need explaining.

Covenant is also a cool movie but not a great Alien movie, for partly the same reasons although I can handwave some of those problems as the movie being vague enough for reinterpretation.

We've talked about this before and this is basically where I'm at too. These films and the Alien universe would all be much better off if they had nothing to do with each other. But they did, and they tried to ask some highfalutin questions while still doing the body horror and the fanservice, and it was just embarrassing.

Prometheus sucked. Covenant was absolute dogshit.

Raised By Wolves is the loving wackest show on television.

The Last Duel was actually a fuckin' banger.

Ridley Scott's got a very specific kind of dementia wherein occasionally he has moments of lucidity where he'll say something about knights or crusaders and beautifully stark landscapes draped in brooding clouds. Then it's back to the God stuff and babbling about whether the nursing home's Amazon Alexa has a soul.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 9, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Prometheus owns and Covenant almost owns so all in all a good time.

Still sad we never got Ridley Scott's adaptation of Blood Meridian, he left it in 2008 because Paramount got cold feet about portraying all of the violence on screen.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
So much of Covenant happened before Covenant. They did a very good '80s "we don't have the budget for this so we will let your mind fill the gaps" with Shaw. I wish there was more but, as with so many things, what my mind creates from the suggestion is far more terrifying. The Captain and his wife was weird. Same thing happened in Prometheus with Wayland. At times they both feel a bit like tie-in novels that take place after the movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Still sad we never got Ridley Scott's adaptation of Blood Meridian, he left it in 2008 because Paramount got cold feet about portraying all of the violence on screen.

Not gonna lie, that one hurts

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

2nd Amendment posted:

So much of Covenant happened before Covenant.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

It's a crime they didn't have the last supper promo scene just be the opening scene of the movie because his one line line is that is that "I'm burning up" before he goes into his cryo pod early.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BiggerBoat posted:

Sending Arnold back to the old west, WW2 or something similar seemed like the logical extension of going further back into time to further prevent the future, which was at the heart of the loving franchise and the central element of the whole god damned story, but then they just did...whatever that was they did.
Sarah Connor Chronicles did that, kinda (the Terminator who was accidentally sent back to the Roaring Twenties or whenever, and became a business magnate specifically so he could wall himself into a building he owned and go into sleep mode with the intention of bursting out in the present to kill his target on a certain day).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Payndz posted:

Sarah Connor Chronicles did that, kinda (the Terminator who was accidentally sent back to the Roaring Twenties or whenever, and became a business magnate specifically so he could wall himself into a building he owned and go into sleep mode with the intention of bursting out in the present to kill his target on a certain day).
Myron Stark paid his workers better than his competitors and treated all of his workers equally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFxMgJw6KRk

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Not only is Prometheus a great Alien movie, it's the only Alien movie which is actually Lovecraftian.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Well it did take some stuff from At the Mountains of Madness. Shoggoth is the black goo and the elder ones are the engineers.

I don't think Prometheus has Lovecraftian (cosmicism) themes though. Humanity was created with a purpose in Prometheus while Lovecraft's humanity was created by accidental biological run off in the primordial soup.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Joe Chill posted:

Well it did take some stuff from At the Mountains of Madness. Shoggoth is the black goo and the elder ones are the engineers.

I don't think Prometheus has Lovecraftian (cosmicism) themes though. Humanity was created with a purpose in Prometheus while Lovecraft's humanity was created by accidental biological run off in the primordial soup.

What purpose was that?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ferrinus posted:

Not only is Prometheus a great Alien movie, it's the only Alien movie which is actually Lovecraftian.

Alien itself is Lovecraft as all hell.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sigher posted:

Yeah I think we’ve been through this topic before, Lovecraft covered a lot of themes and topics, and Alien checks off a bunch of boxes. Dan O’Bannon was a big Lovecraft fan and cited him as one of his influences when writing the movie.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
New game??

ChickenHeart posted:

The top-down Aliens game looks to be a squad-level RTS where you slow down time to issue orders; could be interesting:

https://twitter.com/Th3Lonef0x/status/1534973349583015959?t=sjBv9ZujvaimuG92RHKb-w&s=19

edit: wasn't Obsidian working on a game just like this a few years back?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Red Rox posted:

New game??

edit: wasn't Obsidian working on a game just like this a few years back?

Obsidian was working on an Aliens-style RPG (think: KOTOR2) back when Colonial Marines was in development, it got canceled in favor of ACM lol

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

sigher posted:

Only in the sense that there's some old spooky architecture. The actual narrative themes of Lovecraft's work only crop up in Prometheus, which has basically the same plot as At the Mountains of Madness.

Joe Chill posted:

Humanity may have been created with a purpose (although the mechanism by which it was created is exactly as you say - biological run off in primordial soup) but if it was it was just created by an elder race which had no idea what it was doing and was, itself, ultimately at the mercy of primordial cosmic madness.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

DeimosRising posted:

What purpose was that?

Well in the movie Jesus was an engineer or a human taught by engineers and then was killed causing the engineers to go ape poo poo. With the same cave paintings around the world it's clear the engineers atleast had an interest in guiding humanity. There is obviously a purpose in doing so.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'd be down for an Alien RTS game but if it's another phone app you can keep it.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Humanity may have been created with a purpose (although the mechanism by which it was created is exactly as you say - biological run off in primordial soup) but if it was it was just created by an elder race which had no idea what it was doing and was, itself, ultimately at the mercy of primordial cosmic madness.

How do you know they had no idea what they were doing?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Basebf555 posted:

Context changes art and narratives. You could probably make an excellent film in which a libertarian government employee goes on a rampage before ultimately taking his own life, but it would probably not be the best fit for Parks and Rec: The Movie.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
The elder gods and other lifeforms of Lovecraft absolutely have plans and purposes but the way their intelligence works is so orthogonal to how the human brain works that we can't perceive it. It isn't that intelligence isn't there it is that their intellect isn't intelligible to us (and our intellect may not be intelligible to them either).

The Prometheans, on the other hand, have a much more humanlike approach.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Joe Chill posted:

How do you know they had no idea what they were doing?

They all got owned.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

Only in the sense that there's some old spooky architecture. The actual narrative themes of Lovecraft's work only crop up in Prometheus, which has basically the same plot as At the Mountains of Madness.
This isn’t true and has been covered in the past, Alien has shoggoths, ancient stellar civilizations, cosmic horror, all kinds of Lovecraftian goodness

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

2nd Amendment posted:

The elder gods and other lifeforms of Lovecraft absolutely have plans and purposes but the way their intelligence works is so orthogonal to how the human brain works that we can't perceive it. It isn't that intelligence isn't there it is that their intellect isn't intelligible to us (and our intellect may not be intelligible to them either).

The Prometheans, on the other hand, have a much more humanlike approach.

Yeah, like the Elder Things.

Xenomrph posted:

This isn’t true and has been covered in the past, Alien has shoggoths, ancient stellar civilizations, cosmic horror, all kinds of Lovecraftian goodness

Ah, no. Alien only has shoggoths retroactively when considered together with Prometheus. Otherwise "ancient stellar civilizations" is the only element of your list that's actually accurate, and I don't think Star Wars is very Lovecraftian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i think it's a bit silly to say there's not cosmic horror in Alien