Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

If you think the book is superior, at least get the quote right :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I was doing it from memory, and as I noted earlier today, I am dumb.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The Father but he's wandering around getting angry at people who tell him his apes are gone

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Durzel posted:

Nah Hopkins is quality. But he is getting old and the years do take their toll on mental acuity.

This is elder abuse

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

I will agree with this with one exception: the section when the ending of life on earth has begun, and a bunch of professional musicians gather to perform requiems until they... can't anymore haunts me.

Were there other Titanic references or just that one?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

all my elons gone

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1534618702280278016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amYTnGSLy84

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Ediit: am dumb

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1533839996532273153

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Were there other Titanic references or just that one?

I really didn't clock it as a Titanic reference. I honestly enjoyed Seveneves, but Stephenson honestly likes to spend a lot of time on irrelevant poo poo and gloss over important poo poo in a single sentence.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

BEHOLD

https://shitcoins.club/?lang=en

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

I really didn't clock it as a Titanic reference. I honestly enjoyed Seveneves, but Stephenson honestly likes to spend a lot of time on irrelevant poo poo and gloss over important poo poo in a single sentence.

"Oh poo poo. I only have five pages left in this book. Whelp, guess it's time to stop introducing new elements of the story, going on irrelevant tangents, and adding detail about how sexy teenage girls are and wrap this up." -- Neil Stephenson

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I liked that book and a lot of the concepts, but somehow I misread the title as "Seveneyes" and never really got why the gently caress it was called that until I figured out the actual title in the last act. Ohhhhhh. That makes more sense.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I kind of trailed off of Stephenson after Anathem, which I liked, but it gave me a god drat headache and was work to get through :haw:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i tried to bring up crypto to some cousins at a family barbecue, and my 9 year old son dropped a miniature baseball bat out of his sleeve and instantly beamed it into my jaw, shattering my teeth. i started choking on the fragments, and my aunt, a RETIRED DENTIST, held my lower jaw open and poured outdoor wood glue into my mouth until i stopped vocalizing. how can i get them to understand blockchain?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
tried to get a friend to listen about crypto while we were enjoying soft serve in the park. he took the cone and crammed it so hard into my mouth my ears popped in some painful new way and i'm now partially deaf. later the park warden found me and beat me mercilessly with a hazel rod. i had already poo poo myself. i do feel though that i bested them both logically and they're just scared of progress

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
20 million dollars lost by a market maker who never checked their test transactions. https://gov.optimism.io/t/message-to-optimism-community-from-wintermute/2595

go web3!

edit: crypto: it's the grift that keeps on giving

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 8, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The bit at the end that they address to the person who took their poo poo is golden:

quote:

We expect the exploiter to read this as well (eventually). This is our message to you:

We are open to see this as a white hat exploit. Moreover, the way the attack has been performed has been rather impressive and we can even consider consulting opportunities or other forms of cooperation in future. We are also content with the scenario where the remaining 19 million tokens are returned to Optimism wallet:

0x2501c477d0a35545a387aa4a3eee4292a9a8b3f0

You have one week to consider being a whitehat. In case the

You have one week to consider being a whitehat. In case the above doesn’t happen, we are 100% committed to returning all the funds, tracking the person(s) responsible for the exploit, fully doxxing them and delivering them to the corresponding juridical system. Remember that robbers need to get lucky every time. Cops only have to get lucky once. This is not a “code is law” theoretical argument. This is you taking a bag with cash that was left behind by a (careless) person. Us being careless still leaves you a criminal. We already started investigating the potential leads, in certain cases stopping short of informing respective law enforcement agencies. Consider your options and choose to be good and optimistic instead of living in fear

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Has anyone else said “web3 more like webpee” cuz if not I’d like to be the first

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
they quoted it wrong too, it's not cops, it's the IRA that only needs to get lucky once

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

quote:

Timeline of events

Two weeks ago, Wintermute was engaged by the Optimism Foundation to provide liquidity in the OP token upon its listing on centralized exchanges. As part of the agreement Wintermute received a 20 million loan in OP.

Initially the loan was to be deployed on one of the Wintermute’s wallets on Optimism. As we communicated the wallet address to the Optimism team, we made a serious error. We had a Gnosis safe deployed on mainnet for a while and due to an internal mistake, we’ve communicated the very same wallet as the receiving address. As some of you may know, this is not a smart thing to do - having control over mainnet Safe doesn’t guarantee control on other EVM compatible chains (unlike ordinary wallets).

We notified the Optimism team on the 30th of May. Since the launch next day was a clear priority we agreed on receiving additional 20 million tokens (providing $50 million USDC as collateral), all while exploring ways to retrieve the funds. At the same time we got in contact with the Gnosis Safe team, asking them for assistance with retrieving the funds. After consulting with the Optimism and Safe teams, Wintermute made the assessment that the funds were potentially retrievable, and that nobody other than Wintermute could recover those funds. The assessment was also that it was a high risk retrieval that could only be attempted once and required Safe to support. Retrieval was scheduled for 7th of June. However, the assumption that the funds can only be recoverable by Wintermute proved to be false.

Exploit

Somebody has done their homework well, however. In less than 24 hours after we notified Safe and Optimism about the situation, wallet 0x8BcFe4f1358E50A1db10025D731C8b3b17f04DBB has been funded via tornado cash transfer 60. It proceeded with performing a replay attack by replaying the Gnosis Safe MasterCopy 1.1.1 deployment from Eth mainnet. They then used the previously deployed contract 0xE7145dd6287AE53326347f3A6694fCf2954bcD8A to deploy vaults per batches of 162. The hacker then proceeded with selling 1m OP tokens for ETH and withdrew back to L1 via Synapse and Hop bridges to then use tornado cash on mainnet.

I have to admit I feel very dumb and old cause I’ve read this whole thing and I understood absolutely nothing and I don’t even know the meaning of half the terms used

Like “Gnosis safe”, “synapse and hop bridges “ it sounds like made up technical gibberish from a comedy sketch to me

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

they quoted it wrong too, it's not cops, it's the IRA that only needs to get lucky once

Same for male preying mantises.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Spuckuk posted:

I work for a tech finance startup and a few developers have left. Not because they think theres anything to crypto, but the money they get bribed with is huge.

Take the money in actual money and go back to whatever after the bubble bursts

I don't think I'd want coinbase or some poo poo like that on my resume after the bubble pops

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Because this generally only works with some random smaller NFT projects or altcoins. Any bigger projects that are vulnerable to that are too big to be exploited.

Unless you quietly backdoor all the miners with a zero day exploit.

It only takes one exploit to sink the whole thing.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Lol all of these “open letter to the hacker” post-mortems have the exact same modus operandi - suck up to the hacker and simultaneously crow about the legal hell that awaits them once they bring the full force of the CIA, FBI, DEA and U.S. Coast Guard down upon them.

They know they have no chance of getting their shitcoins back if the hacker doesn’t play ball, and no recourse with the authorities either, so they just desperately flail around impotently.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Durzel posted:

Lol all of these “open letter to the hacker” post-mortems have the exact same modus operandi - suck up to the hacker and simultaneously crow about the legal hell that awaits them once they bring the full force of the CIA, FBI, DEA and U.S. Coast Guard down upon them.

They know they have no chance of getting their shitcoins back if the hacker doesn’t play ball, and no recourse with the authorities either, so they just desperately flail around impotently.

Has it ever worked?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I have to admit I feel very dumb and old cause I’ve read this whole thing and I understood absolutely nothing and I don’t even know the meaning of half the terms used

Like “Gnosis safe”, “synapse and hop bridges “ it sounds like made up technical gibberish from a comedy sketch to me

*deep breath*

okay. so Optimism is an L2 blockchain, which as I mentioned in an earlier post, tries to not make transactions in cryptocurrency dogshit slow by completely deferring writing into the main blockchain, (L1) (e.g Ethereum Blockchain, Bitcoin Blockchain) and instead only periodically sending transactions updating the total amounts that are in the L2 blockchain.

the gist of it is.. a gnosis safe is basically a more secured smart contract that allows you to authorize transactions only if multiple people agree to engage a transaction. think of those safes that require two people to turn a key at the same time. if neither key is present or one person refuses to go through with the deal, the smart contract won't authorize it. gnosis safes are basically just more advanced and offers more functionality.

what happened was, the optimism people wanted a private key from wintermute, he told them to use the gnosis safe that was deployed on L1 (ethereum blockchain) thinking they could also access the money on L2 (optimism blockchain). So they transferred it and then realized the mistake that there wasn't a gnosis safe created on L2. While they were trying to figure out what to do to make sure they could access the money.. someone way smarter than them realized wintermute's mistake and took advantage of it by basically creating a new smart contract that looked exactly like the gnosis safe contract, except all the ownership was changed to the hacker's credentials so the hacker now had access to the money in the safe because the hacker's multisig matched wintermute's multisig on L1.

he then took all the money that was in the gnosis safe and transferred it back to L1 using 2 bridges. bridges basically just convert different cryptocurrencies that are on different L2 blockchains. once he got it back on the ethereum blockchain (L1) he washed it in tornado cash (which is a tumbler)

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 9, 2022

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Dongsturm posted:

Has it ever worked?
I think I’ve heard of it working once, but that’s it. But every time it happens pretty much the same identical appeal gets posted.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Dongsturm posted:

Has it ever worked?

Yeah constantly. The hackers return the coins for a nominal fee.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
My impression of all these crypto schemes is it's a bunch of people a bit smarter than average failing to understand technology made by people much smarter than average and at the same time failing to understand that financial infrastructure needs to work even when most of the users are much dumber than average

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Strong Sauce posted:

*deep breath*

okay. so Optimism is an L2 blockchain, which as I mentioned in an earlier post, tries to not make transactions in cryptocurrency dogshit slow by completely deferring writing into the main blockchain, (L1) (e.g Ethereum Blockchain, Bitcoin Blockchain) and instead only periodically sending transactions updating the total amounts that are in the L2 blockchain.

the gist of it is.. a gnosis safe is basically a more secured smart contract that allows you to authorize transactions only if multiple people agree to engage a transaction. think of those safes that require two people to turn a key at the same time. if neither key is present or one person refuses to go through with the deal, the smart contract won't authorize it. gnosis safes are basically just more advanced and offers more functionality.

what happened was, the optimism people wanted a private key from wintermute, he told them to use the gnosis safe that was deployed on L1 (ethereum blockchain) thinking they could also access the money on L2 (optimism blockchain). So they transferred it and then realized the mistake that there wasn't a gnosis safe created on L2. While they were trying to figure out what to do to make sure they could access the money.. someone way smarter than them realized wintermute's mistake and took advantage of it by basically creating a new smart contract that looked exactly like the gnosis safe contract, except all the ownership was changed to the hacker's credentials so the hacker now had access to the money in the safe because the hacker's multisig matched wintermute's multisig on L1.

he then took all the money that was in the gnosis safe and transferred it back to L1 using 2 bridges. bridges basically just convert different cryptocurrencies that are on different L2 blockchains. once he got it back on the ethereum blockchain (L1) he washed it in tornado cash (which is a tumbler)

Thank you for your effort. Can’t say I understand it completely yet but I think I have an idea of what happened now

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

It means we need some U-RTV units to purge U-DO

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thank you for your effort. Can’t say I understand it completely yet but I think I have an idea of what happened now

i have read way too much about this dumb poo poo and i feel like i have the technical competency to understand it, yet i'm reading this poo poo and i don't even understand the low level details. it honestly makes no sense why it needs to get this complicated if what ends up happening is people lose their money if someone makes a technical mistake most people would not even recognize as a mistake.

its like that scene in indiana jones where they are stepping over blocks with old hebrew characters on it. everyone else is the fool who stepped on the wrong block and fell to their death and the hacker is basically indiana jones with his esoteric knowledge of latin-spelled hebrew words figuring it out.

sorry scratch that. the hacker is sean connery because he was the one who knewo spell jehovah with an "I" vs Indy just jumping onto the J thinking he solved it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tunicate posted:

It means we need some U-RTV units to purge U-DO

You clod, Central Dogma cant take another N2 system cleanse, and Im not gonna be the one reporting to the chief you're responsible for a third impact to our operating bottom line this year

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so who wants to join me in rug-pulling some lovely Neal Stephenson fans??? i bet elon musk is a huge stephenson fan.

i actually enjoyed the first hundred or so pages of Termination Shock, but then it became clear that he wasn't trying to write the most absurd self-parody of all time

and he would not shut up about the norweigan MILF being horny. it almost seemed like deflection, like "guys look, i think middle aged women are sexy too, i promise" but that is, of course, undercut by the fact that said MILF kept discussing her horniness with, and i can't stress enough that i am not making this up, her 16 year old daughter

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This feels like the "well if you're so smart, why don't you explain crypto," when it's a bunch of gibberish dressed up as various hacks to disguise the essential unusability of the underlying tech, which unreasonably requires "decentralization" but self-defeats by centralizing at several key points anyway.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The problem is always going to be evolving innovative software solutions inevitably have exploitable flaws. The real strength of traditional banking infrastructure is their position as a heavily regulated middle-man between the end user and the big piles of money.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

precision posted:

so who wants to join me in rug-pulling some lovely Neal Stephenson fans???

neal stephenson beat you to it

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Spuckuk posted:

I work for a tech finance startup and a few developers have left. Not because they think theres anything to crypto, but the money they get bribed with is huge.

Take the money in actual money and go back to whatever after the bubble bursts

They will all be laid off in the next 6-12 months. All these crypto startups are flush with cash based on valuations they will never reach. The mass layoffs happening right now in tech are a preview of an even bigger web3 startup massacre. Hell coinbase is already rescinding offers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sadly, Neal was all too sincere about that one lmao

but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/concodanomics/status/1534575165698453506?t=C-i7yaG7JKa3NmQ9td3r0Q&s=19

Crypto bros always open to competition in the marketplace of-- *laughter begins, is only silenced by blocking*