Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

lavaca posted:

Stranger Things: The actors playing the younger kids look like high school students in season 4. The actors playing the older kids clearly look like they are in their mid/late-20s and their characters should be in college by now given that they were old enough to drive in the first season. Charlie Heaton in particular does not look remotely like a high school senior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot about the 80s makes sense when you realise cocaine makes you unable to appreciate irony, let alone have self-awareness.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The 80s had the best music and the best movies and it’s not even a contest

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BiggerBoat posted:

First Blood is loving awesome. The sequels not so much.

It was never meant to have sequels. At the end of the book Trautman kills Rambo (who has also offed a lot of cops including the sheriff).

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Jedit posted:

It was never meant to have sequels. At the end of the book Trautman kills Rambo (who has also offed a lot of cops including the sheriff).

They were originally considering that ending in the movie too, but I understand it was quite rightly argued in development that a film about traumatized Vietnam vets that ends with the moral "they're so broken the only solution is euthanasia" was a VERY bad message to send and they switched it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It would have been a better movie if he died. Everything was leading up to that moment, they even mirrored the shots from the ending of old yeller with Rambo barking at the colonel while he's aiming the gun. I think stallone just changed it at the last minute because he saw the sequel potential

He was always a businessman first and a filmmaker second. He edited Rocky 4 down from 2 hours to 90 minutes just so theatres could squeeze in a couple more showings per day, and Rocky 1 was originally based on the story of Charles Wepner until he changed just enough of the details that he wouldn't have to share royalties

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Don't get me wrong hero action god Rambo massacring entire countries is great but it's just funny that it came from an extremely serious movie about cops loving with a drifter for no reason until he snaps. Rocky is also basically the same pattern.

I was going to say the same thing about Rocky. The first film is a gem and I love it to death but Stallone always seems to ramp these things up for no good reason and kill any artistic value they have. At least he redeemed the Rocky series because the Creed movies are quite good. Really hoping we get a Mr. T Clubber Lang appearance for Creed 3.

Stallone has it in him to be a good actor (Copland for instance. He's great in Rocky 1 and First Bloos) but for some reason dials all his poo poo up to 11.

Jedit posted:

I know. I don't like the sequels but ending First Blood like that...I don't know if it makes it a better film and I like it the way it is.

E: Also Stallone eventually settled with and paid Wepner.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Jun 4, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

It would have been a better movie if he died. Everything was leading up to that moment, they even mirrored the shots from the ending of old yeller with Rambo barking at the colonel while he's aiming the gun. I think stallone just changed it at the last minute because he saw the sequel potential

No, it wasn't last minute. The ending as we know it was filmed in reshoots, but Rambo survived in the 1977 draft that was going to be directed by John Frankenheimer and in that draft he was still killing people. It was that script that Stallone was offered; his contribution was to remove the killing, because he wanted Rambo to be more sympathetic.

BiggerBoat posted:

At least he redeemed the Rocky series because the Creed movies are quite good.

I think Rocky Balboa is much underrated. Authorial intent or not, watch it as if the intent is for Rocky to throw his final fight after Dixon grits out the second round.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Jun 4, 2022

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jedit posted:

No, it wasn't last minute. The ending as we know it was filmed in reshoots, but Rambo survived in the 1977 draft that was going to be directed by John Frankenheimer and in that draft he was still killing people. It was that script that Stallone was offered; his contribution was to remove the killing, because he wanted Rambo to be more sympathetic.

I think Rocky Balboa is much underrated. Authorial intent or not, watch it as if the intent is for Rocky to throw his final fight after Dixon grits out the second round.

Meh, it was all right. A little too corny (MAson "The Line" Dixon, ESPN covering a CPU simulation) and melodramatic (the chair at the cemetery, stuff in the basement, the kid sub plot) in spots for me but I've seen worse. I think it gets too much credit for simply not being total poo poo and benefits from low expectations but it's not trash.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Creed is pretty silly at times too, but it eats Balboa's lunch.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Re: First Blood and Rambo, I remember seeing an interview where Stallone said that they made the sequels gorey because they had no money at first and it was a cheap way to add content.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
What kinda name is Rambo anyway

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

old bean factory posted:

What kinda name is Rambo anyway

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0708105/

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

quote:

The sons of Lester and Beatrice Rambo,

I would follow a Lester Rambo into war for sure!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Meh, it was all right. A little too corny (MAson "The Line" Dixon, ESPN covering a CPU simulation)

I'll give you Mason Dixon, but the computer simulation was actually inspired by a 1967 fantasy boxing tournament that used computer analysis to judge who was the greatest of the 16 best heavyweights of all time. Rocky Marciano won, and Muhammad Ali's angry response led to The Super Fight, a movie that simulated a fight between Marciano and Ali in their respective primes and which in its original form, Marciano won.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Keromaru5 posted:

How do you take the montages out of Montage: The Movie Rocky IV?

by making it an actual boxing movie

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jedit posted:

I'll give you Mason Dixon, but the computer simulation was actually inspired by a 1967 fantasy boxing tournament that used computer analysis to judge who was the greatest of the 16 best heavyweights of all time. Rocky Marciano won, and Muhammad Ali's angry response led to The Super Fight, a movie that simulated a fight between Marciano and Ali in their respective primes and which in its original form, Marciano won.

That is cool as heck and I'm glad I learned about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rambo is actually pretty fitting in Mortal Kombat apparently. His intro lines at least are fun.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

In the season of Saved By The Bell where the gang works at a beach resort, zack Morris and his supervisor played by Leah remini start making out in the company break room. It’s a family show so they don’t do more than that but knowing what I know about zack Morris and young people working summer jobs at a beach resort I can’t help but think that the break room is absolutely covered in semen.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of Saved by the Bell, what was up with that season (maybe just a half season?) where both Kelly AND Jesse vanish, and some new girl named Tori shows up, perpetually wearing a leather jacket, and no one says anything about it?!
If it was at least the last season, it would make sense, if the actors just wanted to leave. But...it wasn't. I have a distinct memory that Kelly and Jesse both come back for the last season cause there's the graduation episode they're all in...but also Tori went back to non-existence.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of Saved by the Bell, what was up with that season (maybe just a half season?) where both Kelly AND Jesse vanish, and some new girl named Tori shows up, perpetually wearing a leather jacket, and no one says anything about it?!
If it was at least the last season, it would make sense, if the actors just wanted to leave. But...it wasn't. I have a distinct memory that Kelly and Jesse both come back for the last season cause there's the graduation episode they're all in...but also Tori went back to non-existence.

https://savedbythebell.fandom.com/wiki/Tori_Scott

It was the last season.

quote:

Tori Scott is the new girl (and later girlfriend of Zack Morris) at Bayside High during the show's final season. She was brought in as a temporary replacement for Kelly and Jessie, who temporarily left the show for a portion of the final season.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I really don’t appreciate the fact you piggybacked onto my semen discussion without actually contributing to it but as the better poster I will reply to yours and guess contract negotiations

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They had filmed the final season and the graduation finale, but then the network wanted another bunch of episodes. Kelli and Jessie opted out so they were gone without an explanation and Tori was the new girl at school. Those episodes were followed by the finale where suddenly Kelli and Jessie are back and Tori's never heard from again.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Tori's never heard from again.
she was sent to a remedial high school when principal belford discovered that Tori kouldn't read

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

My IMM is in the latest season of Stranger Things, which has them rolling dice Vegas style during their D&D montage. Which, ok, fine, but why the gently caress are they rolling a d20 and a d4 in the same throw? Or a d8 and a d12? THAT'S NOT HOW D&D WORKS! /nerdrage

I realize this is irrational nitpicking, but that's what this thread is for.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Azathoth Prime posted:

My IMM is in the latest season of Stranger Things, which has them rolling dice Vegas style during their D&D montage. Which, ok, fine, but why the gently caress are they rolling a d20 and a d4 in the same throw? Or a d8 and a d12? THAT'S NOT HOW D&D WORKS! /nerdrage

Aren't there spells and abilities that give an extra d4 on attack rolls or skill checks? I know in 5e (which of course they couldn't be playing) there's stuff like Guidance (or some other cleric cantrip) that does that. Maybe they have a custom item? The d8 and d12 I dunno.

That one girl is playing a playing a level 14 rogue so that's high level enough for all kinds of shenanigans and the DM definitely seems like the kind of dude that would homebrew a lot of poo poo like items and house rules instead of playing a written campaign by the book.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Azathoth Prime posted:

Probably not what they had in mind, and I don't know how first edition d&d works, but the d20 + dr could be a case of rolling damage at the same time as a hit roll, and the do could be additional burst damage for the d12 (even though normally it's a d6 I think)

But yeah likely they just told em to chuck some dice.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Azathoth Prime posted:

lots of editions suggest rolling to-hit (the d20) along with the damage die to save time

the d8 and d12 could be some weird barbarian rage poo poo

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Taeke posted:

Aren't there spells and abilities that give an extra d4 on attack rolls or skill checks? I know in 5e (which of course they couldn't be playing) there's stuff like Guidance (or some other cleric cantrip) that does that. Maybe they have a custom item? The d8 and d12 I dunno.
Yeah, in 5E the spell Bless, for instance, gives +d4 to attacks and saves.

In 2E, it gave +1

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Azathoth Prime posted:

First one is somebody rolling the to-hit and damage for their dagger in a single roll to save time. Second is the damage roll for a Booming Blade with a great ax somewhere between levels 5 and 10. Obviously.

Edit: lol @ the nerd stampede here.

Edit 2: My answers only work in 5E and I forgot the show is a period piece.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Azathoth Prime posted:

I haven't watched it yet so I could be wrong and never played D&D from that era

But D&D combat is a slog so we would routinely roll the D20 and our damage dice at the same time. That way if you hit you have your damage rolled already

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The answer is always "house rules"

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

BiggerBoat posted:

The answer is always "house rules"

Lol, yeah. I did play D&D in that era and we never rolled damage along with the hit roll, but it does make sense.

Also LOL at the nerd stampede. I mostly lurk and this is the most responses I've ever gotten in my SA (poo poo)posting career. :D

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The real secret tech was to have multiple sets so that when you have multiple attacks you can just roll it all at once. Then go back to playing Gameboy while you wait for your turn to roll back around

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
If you've ever played Battletech before Megamek was a thing you know about the utility of having a clear plastic container divided into 4*5 compartments with 2 tiny dice in each so that you can roll an LB20-X cluster hit.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Len posted:

The real secret tech was to have multiple sets so that when you have multiple attacks you can just roll it all at once. Then go back to playing Gameboy while you wait for your turn to roll back around

Just lol if your dice bag wasn’t the size and weight of a six month old baby. Amateurs.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 40: Shino's body has bugs pooing inside of it, gross.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5N1Aukm4Bo

Bond in Space was my favorite since I was a little kid, but this has been bothering me since I saw it again in my teens. loving dumbshit, controls =/= displays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Azathoth Prime posted:

Lol, yeah. I did play D&D in that era and we never rolled damage along with the hit roll, but it does make sense.

Also LOL at the nerd stampede. I mostly lurk and this is the most responses I've ever gotten in my SA (poo poo)posting career. :D

That's OK. Everybody watches Stranger Things for the D&D rules accuracy anyway.

Serious post though: it's not uncommon to roll your attack shot along with the damage in the event of a hit just to save time or whatever. You're being very irrational here in the IIMM thread.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Jun 9, 2022