Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Scientastic posted:

I can’t imagine being an engineer and using inches. What the gently caress.

Brewing with liters and kilograms/grams, in Celsius is soooooo much easier to conceptualize/work with. Lol. Yeah. Let's use barrels as a liquid volume measurement. No beer barrels. Those are different from wine, whiskey, oil, etc. 31 gallons. Yep. That's really easy to divide and scale. Get hosed imperial measurements!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Escape From Noise posted:

Brewing with liters and kilograms/grams, in Celsius is soooooo much easier to conceptualize/work with. Lol. Yeah. Let's use barrels as a liquid volume measurement. No beer barrels. Those are different from wine, whiskey, oil, etc. 31 gallons. Yep. That's really easy to divide and scale. Get hosed imperial measurements!

This recipe calls for 23 drams of wort per hogshead of malt. Make it happen!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

This recipe calls for 23 drams of wort per hogshead of malt. Make it happen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5-s-4KPtD8

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On the note of weird conversions, my company does not operate in the US but every single thing we do is converted to USD.

Also, obviously, metric supremacy, even if I still struggle with certain ranges of measures specifically temperature and distance.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I like the bit where imperial units are all defined in metric anyway.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

On the note of weird conversions, my company does not operate in the US but every single thing we do is converted to USD.

Also, obviously, metric supremacy, even if I still struggle with certain ranges of measures specifically temperature and distance.

I'm honestly terrible at visualizing most measurements without a reference.

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007
My workplace just implemented a "sensitivity" labeling system for every single email, word, excel etc. file created. So now I have to decide if my email about Taco Tuesday is Public, Internal, Confidential or Restricted.

As a bonus this is mandatory so when an external person sends me something to go over they get it back with a big old sensitivity label stamped like I'm a dog taking a piss on a fire hydrant lol.

There was a big meeting about this change and the following questions were asked.

Q. Do I have to do this for all emails / documents?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I choose a default setting for my documents if I don't handle sensitive information?
A. No.

Q. Does the label I choose affect the encryption or security of the document?
A. No (maybe later)

Q. What even is the point of all this?
A. (Silence)

I don't know who is pushing for this since it seemed like no one is happy lol.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Since it doesn't affect anything, I would just label everything public, which i guarantee coworkers already are. It will kill this system super quickly, too

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Label everything restricted. If your boss asks for something tell him it's restricted and you'll need an authorization email from his boss. That's just how the system works.

On meetings: when you enter a meeting always say you have a hard stop at 2pm (or whatever time). Then reiterate 15 minutes before 2pm. Then at two act very flustered and say sorry everyone I have to go good luck! And take your 2pm nap.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mr.Sloth posted:

My workplace just implemented a "sensitivity" labeling system for every single email, word, excel etc. file created. So now I have to decide if my email about Taco Tuesday is Public, Internal, Confidential or Restricted.

As a bonus this is mandatory so when an external person sends me something to go over they get it back with a big old sensitivity label stamped like I'm a dog taking a piss on a fire hydrant lol.

There was a big meeting about this change and the following questions were asked.

A. Yes.

Q. Can I choose a default setting for my documents if I don't handle sensitive information?
A. No.

A. No (maybe later)

A. (Silence)

It's so that there's a fig leaf of justification to not tell you things, or to fire you if you leak something accidentally or otherwise.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr.Sloth posted:

A. Yes.

A. No.

A. No (maybe later)

A. (Silence)

I was tasked with implementing this function for a previous job, which I noped out of very quickly, because thats not what a data analyst is supposed to be doing.

They can implement a default setting, they can implement it folder by folder as well, so if you save a document into a onedrive location, it automatically has a sensitivity label applied. Pretty sure they can do defaults for emails as well.

The point of it for us was to try to get a grip on private information leaving the org. There had been a spate of people working for the org, getting their hands on all the documentation and training, then leaving and starting their own consultancy with all the information.

It can be set up to be fairly friction free for most employees, its just that their implementation of it seem halfassed and not in consideration of the end user.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I gusse being tech support gives me a different perspective on meetings. However, boring a meeting may be its better than talking to the clients.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm okay with meetings at my new place as they mostly serve a purpose and are scheduled around my availability. Way better than the last place I worked with the owner taking 2 hours to go over half an hour of information he got that he didn't understand and half remembered from some presentation he saw the week before. I still remember him getting really worked up about yeast autolysis and using as an argument against fully fermenting, basically so he could keep pushing out product really quick. Yeah. Sure. It strikes really fast. He thought yeast died immediately after flocculation.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

MarxCarl posted:

Some higher up at a previous employer came up with all meetings should end 5 minutes before the top or bottom of the hour. This would allow people to exit the conference room and the next batch to enter. They had the rules posted in several of the bigger rooms in the building. No one did it, especially the person who got it initiated, they were the worst always going over and not caring. Everyone was glad when they got poo poo canned when they pissed off the new owners.

our outlook meetings now default to 0:25 or 0:50 min, but obviously they all still go to the top of the 30/top of the hour, and some dipshit will always say "i'm giving you two minutes of your life back lol!"

on the same note, i know blocking your time in outlook so that you have some actual work time (and not just endless meeting invites) helps, but i hate trying to figure out if a slot on my manager's calendar is actually free or not because everything is loving double booked and i sure as poo poo know he's not 100% in meetings all the time.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

GI_Clutch posted:

"Well, if there are no other questions, I'll give you all twelve minutes of your life back."

The only way to take this is that the 12 minutes are off time and you should absolutely lie down on your couch when the words are uttered

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Outrail posted:

Label everything restricted. If your boss asks for something tell him it's restricted and you'll need an authorization email from his boss. That's just how the system works.

On meetings: when you enter a meeting always say you have a hard stop at 2pm (or whatever time). Then reiterate 15 minutes before 2pm. Then at two act very flustered and say sorry everyone I have to go good luck! And take your 2pm nap.

*furiously takes notes*

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This was a new hire? I'm surprised he was able to navigate the application process. If he hasn't worked at all then is this a case of him jumping through hoops in order to show he attempted to have employment to maintain benefits of some sort, then deliberately torpedoing that employment?

At a call center I worked at years ago we hired a blind woman to start on the phones, which required we get and set up all this adaptive equipment to make it accessible, and then once everything was finally in place she did such a bad job and was so unpleasant she only lasted a matter of days, if that. I always assumed she was gaming the system in some way, because when it came down to it she appeared to have no intention of ever actually working.

I am speaking to you from the past, as I am 80 some pages behind but I had an almost identical experience. We hired a new business writer for the team - I’m not sure what the role is actually called but this was a person to supplement our product development team, who would be responsible for everything from documentation to brochures.

The business spent like a week doing lots of things to make the office accessible and got the equipment she required, the day she arrived it was all set up waiting at a primo desk. She was utterly unpleasant and we still made every effort to be friendly and include her - at least in part because we were all sick of having to do that work ourselves. She only came to the office for four days over two weeks, was still doing onboarding and getting to know the business sort of stuff. Then she was never seen again - I assume she probably quit through bosses or HR but all we got was “she is no longer working here”.

I never considered she might be gaming the system somehow but that almost makes sense because who doesn’t give a new job at least a few weeks - unless it’s in life threatening conditions or something. I had always thought maybe she just hated all of us, or maybe the boss… The whole thing was very strange.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

DiHK posted:

Boss redlined a box around what I originally had as a directional section view, like this |______D_______| but pointing down. He thought it would be misleading since I don't show the suction side until the next page.

I don't like the balloons because of the redundancy. Rather than a single (Stud)(Nut)(Washer) notation on each spool, he likes the full sequence in the same direction and often asks me to reverse the order in a way that is not possible to draw in inventor without overriding balloons. So (Stud)(Nut)(Washer)(Washer)(Nut) except point to the stud, list the nut first and the stud last. Only sometimes.

It's nice to know that it's not an overcrowded dwg by some standards at least. I come from a visual background and prefer to err on the side of readability.

Yes and yes. black epdm.

I used to review BOM/Engineering drawings as part of a job and I would have rejected this due to the repetition of the same string of P/Ns a number of times on this one view. If you are using the same fasteners, flanges and gaskets at each point why not just make the whole set an assembly within the drawing and reference that instead of each individual part? Much easier to just point to the joint and have "A1" in there than the whole thing over and over. You could also make the fastener stack a note (along with any sort of locktite or tape or lubricant in use) if assemblies won't fly. The assembly option would make kitting way easier unless you're welding or brazing flanges and pipes before installation and then cutting to suit onsite. Even if you put "4 Places" next to each of the fastener part numbers you would make it slightly less crazy. I get that you are being instructed on how your boss wants this to be done, but it would add one cartoon (the assembly) to the drawing while saving a ton of marking work. If the drawing is already approved there isn't much you can do, but worth keeping in mind for the next draft you need to put together.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

DRINK ME posted:

I am speaking to you from the past, as I am 80 some pages behind but I had an almost identical experience. We hired a new business writer for the team - I’m not sure what the role is actually called but this was a person to supplement our product development team, who would be responsible for everything from documentation to brochures.

The business spent like a week doing lots of things to make the office accessible and got the equipment she required, the day she arrived it was all set up waiting at a primo desk. She was utterly unpleasant and we still made every effort to be friendly and include her - at least in part because we were all sick of having to do that work ourselves. She only came to the office for four days over two weeks, was still doing onboarding and getting to know the business sort of stuff. Then she was never seen again - I assume she probably quit through bosses or HR but all we got was “she is no longer working here”.

I never considered she might be gaming the system somehow but that almost makes sense because who doesn’t give a new job at least a few weeks - unless it’s in life threatening conditions or something. I had always thought maybe she just hated all of us, or maybe the boss… The whole thing was very strange.

Lol, I had someone like that, except worse; she asked my boss about her tattoo which she got to cover up her portacath scar from chemo, and my boss made the error of pulling the collar of her shirt slightly aside when she was taking about it, which OBVIOUSLY was sexual harassment. I had no idea about any of this and later had to ask this person to take comp time because we had run out of dictation to type and got a big ol all caps email back (most staff in transcription work from home) screaming about retaliation and when I asked my boss she said to take someone else off instead, so I did. However, this person decided to stay on the clock and NOT type, and I got a spicy call from a surgeon asking why his stats weren't done. She reported to HR horrid things about everyone else in the office but as much as she tried to elicit a response out of me the only thing she had was that I sat cross legged on my chair and that was unprofessional :laugh:

She finally hosed up bad enough to get fired when she wrote an email to the whole C-suite threatening to sue the hospital over a laundry list of dumb poo poo

The real psycho part was while she was in house for training she was just as nice as could be, made me real gunshy around the replacement

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Pyrtanis posted:

Lol, I had someone like that, except worse; she asked my boss about her tattoo which she got to cover up her portacath scar from chemo, and my boss made the error of pulling the collar of her shirt slightly aside when she was taking about it, which OBVIOUSLY was sexual harassment. I had no idea about any of this and later had to ask this person to take comp time because we had run out of dictation to type and got a big ol all caps email back (most staff in transcription work from home) screaming about retaliation and when I asked my boss she said to take someone else off instead, so I did. However, this person decided to stay on the clock and NOT type, and I got a spicy call from a surgeon asking why his stats weren't done. She reported to HR horrid things about everyone else in the office but as much as she tried to elicit a response out of me the only thing she had was that I sat cross legged on my chair and that was unprofessional :laugh:

She finally hosed up bad enough to get fired when she wrote an email to the whole C-suite threatening to sue the hospital over a laundry list of dumb poo poo

The real psycho part was while she was in house for training she was just as nice as could be, made me real gunshy around the replacement

Uh, if I had someone reach out and pull my collar "to take a better look" I'd have a hostile attitude to the creepy weirdo too.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dongsturm posted:

Uh, if I had someone reach out and pull my collar "to take a better look" I'd have a hostile attitude to the creepy weirdo too.

I probably wasn't clear, the boss had the tattoo, and she pulled her shirt maybe an inch, and it was just below her collarbone.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Pyrtanis posted:

I probably wasn't clear, the boss had the tattoo, and she pulled her shirt maybe an inch, and it was just below her collarbone.

Oh, gotcha. yeah, that's some good old fashioned crazy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dongsturm posted:

Oh, gotcha. yeah, that's some good old fashioned crazy.

Sometimes you need to encounter some genuinely insane nutbag to make you feel better about the regular annoying nutbags you have to deal with.

E: Or they had a thing for surgical scars and this was a sexual hangups and projection

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I don't understand why businesses are so reluctant to fire legitamately toxic people considering workers have essentially zero rights.

For example, every time I want to fire someone for harassment I get pushback from executives beccause I don't have "enough proof."

My response is always: well, if he wants to testify in open court about giving non consensual hugs best of luck to him. Even if he wins we will get ordered to pay the severance that we're already paying so he has all the downside..

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

side_burned posted:

I gusse being tech support gives me a different perspective on meetings. However, boring a meeting may be its better than talking to the clients.

The fact that literally anything is better than talking to clients is basically how I stumbled into my current job. I was working at this tiny company with three devs and they asked me to go over this giant update that they were about to deploy, and I was like "yay no phones!" and then it turned out that QA was fun.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

evilpicard posted:

I don't understand why businesses are so reluctant to fire legitamately toxic people considering workers have essentially zero rights.

For example, every time I want to fire someone for harassment I get pushback from executives beccause I don't have "enough proof."

My response is always: well, if he wants to testify in open court about giving non consensual hugs best of luck to him. Even if he wins we will get ordered to pay the severance that we're already paying so he has all the downside..

I know you are being rhetorical, but management doesn't care if the peons make each other miserable. I'm sure they enjoy watching it.

The only thing that gets people fired is embarrassing the company. Being toxic to co-workers, showing up drunk, stealing office supplies, etc are fine so long as they aren't public knowledge. When your boss says that there isn't "enough proof", he means enough proof for a newspaper article, not for a court case.

So film your sex pest and put it on reddit, and he'll be gone by the end of the day.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Dongsturm posted:

I know you are being rhetorical, but management doesn't care if the peons make each other miserable. I'm sure they enjoy watching it.

The only thing that gets people fired is embarrassing the company. Being toxic to co-workers, showing up drunk, stealing office supplies, etc are fine so long as they aren't public knowledge. When your boss says that there isn't "enough proof", he means enough proof for a newspaper article, not for a court case.

So film your sex pest and put it on reddit, and he'll be gone by the end of the day.

I'm gonna drink the leftover booze from our xmas party and steal me a freakin' stapler tomorrow.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hey, at least our benefits presenters were willing to admit today that our new medical coverage was "significantly worse" than the old coverage at a higher employee cost, and that they weren't going to do anything to offset it, solely because the premiums would rise if they didn't give us the shittiest possible option. At least they know they're loving up.

Unfortunately they'll still sleep at night just fine.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

But if my employees quit because of harassment they will not generate profits any more :iiam:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

evilpicard posted:

But if my employees quit because of harassment they will not generate profits any more :iiam:

You forget, that’s still a win, as the payroll goes down without having to pay unemployment. Management doesn’t think past the next bonus payment.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Just started a new semester and have a course on project management. Chapter one has a section on Agile. So...uh...yay for me I guess. It includes the sentence "end user requirements are discovered not defined up front." So agile is just Psychonauts and you have to go exploring inside the end user's brain to discover what they want the project to do?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The end user doesn't know what they want

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

The end user doesn't know what they want

This is a common refrain, but they really do know what they want.

What they don't know is what is realistic and achievable and how to set their expectations appropriately.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Motronic posted:

This is a common refrain, but they really do know what they want.

What they don't know is what is realistic and achievable and how to set their expectations appropriately.

I disagree. They know what they think they want, which is often totally different than what they actually want.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

My users have a very high level idea of what they want and strong opinions about anything we present to them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BitBasher posted:

I disagree. They know what they think they want, which is often totally different than what they actually want.

Oh when we're getting real specific this is absolutely a thing also. So I'm going to have to agree.

I'm talking about people who think this poo poo is literally magic, you're talking about people who kinda know what is possible but don't know how things should actually work, normally more on the side of "how their org should run" as opposed to "how software works".

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sometimes they dont know any of those things

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The only thing that really matters is what the client needs. Which is something the client doesn't want, which is a savage beating.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Nobody pulled permits for the work we're doing on a high-rise construction project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

Fun Shoe
Before I got fully credentialed in Epic Cadence I would go hang out with the schedulers in the outpatient clinics to get a feel for what their workflow was... what I discovered when I got credentialed and could do builds was the clinic managers wanted things that actively made their scheduler's jobs needlessly more difficult and were actively resistant to compromise :sigh: