Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Imagine the kind of clientele Dollar Tree attracts and then add Florida heat on top of it, and use that as a sauce for titmoney :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I will have no part of your saucy money sir.

Brisbane has a pretty similar climate to Florida, and my store is in a very, very, dodgy area. Yours is a condiment I know well.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember going to Costco one morning and buying like $80 worth of poo poo. When I gave the cashier a 100 bill, she rolled her eyes, and started sniping to her packer/attendant about how she KNEW it was gonna be one of those days, and why do people always use huge bills, the first customer of the day always pays with a hundred, and on and on.

I don't need a loving bootlicker to suck me off when a cashier is ringing me up, but I swear the Costco employees are every bit the Karens as the Karens are.

You would think if there is one place that it would be completely acceptable to pay with a hundred, it would be Costco.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
So here's a fun one. We've lost a ton of our staff, as I've mentioned recently. Which means we should have a good amount of leftover hours to use right? Front end team have been getting scheduled way past 40 hours a week. Upwards of 65 hours a week. Ship from store have also been getting similar hours.

Suddenly we have no hours to use and anyone working past 40 hours a week had to cut hours or face being fired. No more overtime. No prior warning. We had a lot of people just cut their entire shift today to get under 40 so that they wouldn't get fired.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bumper Stickup posted:

So here's a fun one. We've lost a ton of our staff, as I've mentioned recently. Which means we should have a good amount of leftover hours to use right? Front end team have been getting scheduled way past 40 hours a week. Upwards of 65 hours a week. Ship from store have also been getting similar hours.

Suddenly we have no hours to use and anyone working past 40 hours a week had to cut hours or face being fired. No more overtime. No prior warning. We had a lot of people just cut their entire shift today to get under 40 so that they wouldn't get fired.

You might get dangerously close to being full time and having health insurance

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you earn too much you might end up with savings, which would mean you could afford to quit and spend a few months looking for a job without living in fear of being fired and what use is that to anyone?

My work's now done the dumbest thing they could do with regards to the night crew shortage and started scheduling closes as until 2am instead of 1am, this functionally does nothing as closes are "until it's done" and always have been, but it does mean they can functionally cut people's hours without officially cutting them by scheduling closers to start an hour later. Though given there was apparently a close during my current week off where they were still there when the openers showed up maybe that's not as much of a concern.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well it's Sunday, the shift that has the most absenteeism, and work is low enough that management sent out a round of VTO texts (basically go to your worker's portal on your phone and accept if you don't want to come in and want free time off today. First come, first serve, there's only so many slots). So a lot of people didn't come in for the shift.

Senior Ops notices that there's less than full packers on SmartPac and start panicking without actually looking at how much (or how little) work there actually is. Who's the last SmartPacker who showed up today? Why it's Alky! Let's peel him off of his job cleaning up the rejects for the machine that sorts the entire building's work! Don't worry, one of your replacements will take your spot. Replacements I haven't seen today come to think of it...

30 minutes later I've run out of packing work and I'm sent back to my quiet, lonely corner. Both of my replacements never showed up because they snagged the VTO and Senior Ops got to see the mess that happens when no one does my job for half an hour.

Sometimes you just just have to do what your boss's boss says just to remind them that your job may be easy but it's absolutely load-bearing for the entire building. :smug:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Had quite the scare during my shift last night. Somehow someone was able to enter the building even though I locked the doors. It was a security guard who was decked out. So I turn around and see someone who isn't supposed to be in the building in an armored vest and first thing in my mind is that I'm gonna be on the news tonight. Scared the poo poo out of me. I'll be making sure to double check the doors when lock up happens.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Came into work this morning and was greeted by a case of Starbucks iced espresso backstocked with the non-refridgerated coffee. Thanks night shift. At least they remembered to keep the barcode facing out.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That’s one case of Starbucks coffee in the dumpster where it belongs instead of some poor people having to drink it.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Store policy is to donate anything expired, out of temp, etc to the local food bank. The only time we dumpster anything is if it has mold, has already been partially eaten, or has had some of it's contents drank already.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

WTF? It’s milk for gently caress sake.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Trust me I've argued over this before. Everytime it ends with "if they don't want it they'll throw it out."

Edit: Let me clarify. Corporate policy is to destroy (dumpster) anything out of date or any potential health hazards. The store leader is determined to run the store how she wants and her policy is to donate everything because us dumpstering expired and hazardous product is too much work.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 3, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Makes me think of customers back when I worked produce who would say that we should give the contents of my trash cans to the homeless in town. Their heart is in the right place, but its not like I'm throwing food out that looks slightly unappetizing, I'm tossing poo poo that is straight up rotten or otherwise inedible. Also thats pretty hosed up. "Here you homeless bums, have some actual, literal garbage. Bon appetite!"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I mean, enough corporations and local managers are such dick bags about the whole dumpster diving thing I at least have respect for a manager willing to go the opposite way, especially against their own corporate bosses, to an extreme degree.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i keep like $500 in my wallet because i'm a loving adult

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i keep like $500 in my wallet because i'm a loving adult

I don't because I'm an adult with kids and I got no money anymore.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

my goal this week: work EXACTLY 40h1m

why? I did a 10h20m shift today with no breaks. Under state law, today is time and a tenth. Under company policy, if I hit any amount of overtime in a week and I worked on Sunday, ALL OF SUNDAY IS TIME AND A HALF.

Today was my THIRD 9h+ shift in 7 days.

Yes I am looking for a new job, I am at the point where there might come a time I quit on 2 seconds notice.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kilonum posted:

my goal this week: work EXACTLY 40h1m

why? I did a 10h20m shift today with no breaks. Under state law, today is time and a tenth. Under company policy, if I hit any amount of overtime in a week and I worked on Sunday, ALL OF SUNDAY IS TIME AND A HALF.

Today was my THIRD 9h+ shift in 7 days.

Yes I am looking for a new job, I am at the point where there might come a time I quit on 2 seconds notice.

just make sure it's 2 seconds after that minute

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

There is no size option when I select this shake, clearly I need to put down an instruction to get the size I want :dumb:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

he wants the ice cream scooped by a large hand

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Tonight before leaving work we discovered maggots in the women's clothing department. We'd shake racks of clothes and maggots would fall out of them. So that was cool.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So work has a massive shortage of night crew, the starting night rate has gone from £10 an hour to £11.75 within the last year in an attempt to get people in. A few weeks ago they got someone who wanted to work only nights, and even said he wanted 6 shifts a week so was being hyped up as the grand savior of the night crew.

He was fired yesterday after no-showing 4 shifts in a row and emailing in saying he wouldn't be in for the 5th because he was waiting for a delivery. A truly impressive failure of hiring, given he was incredibly horrible as a person and impressively poo poo at even basic cleaning tasks as well.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I work 9-5. Now I know I won't be off at 5pm right on the dot, but when I have no work at 3, and my boss tells me to drive an hour away for a pickup, and she knows i don't stay late unless asked, seems like a bitch thing to have me work almost an hour late because of traffic.

Oh we're down people today? You know what a good manager does? loving asks people if they can stay late, doesn't force them to! Our old manager used to text us during the day, hey we have 3 people out, can you stay late?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 9, 2022

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bumper Stickup posted:

Tonight before leaving work we discovered maggots in the women's clothing department. We'd shake racks of clothes and maggots would fall out of them. So that was cool.

JC Penney: WE HAVE THE MEATS

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Had quite the winner last night. Guy comes through the drive thru and asks for a chicken sandwich. I tell him his total and to pull forward... but doesn't. He proceeds to sit in front of the teller for about 3 minutes before deciding to change it to a burger, so that wasted the chicken sandwich. He gets to the window and I had to explain to this guy who looks like they're 20 years older than me the concept of sales tax, as his complaint was that the prices on the menu are different than the total. And then after I charge his card he goes "Do you do military discounts?" This guy couldn't have lead in with the military discount instead of being boggled that prices listed in American menus are the pre tax price (seriously, does ANYWHERE in America have the final price listed on tags?). I tell him I can't charge back a credit card transaction. But here is the kicker:

The loving guy comes back like 5 minutes later and orders something else and straight up says "And I want this on my military discount". This loving guy came back to make drat sure that discount would get applied.

Also how the gently caress can you be someone that served in the military and not know what the gently caress sales tax is? Where did you think the money you got paid during service came from you loving nob?

E: Also California expanded its straw ban to include utensils and condiments and I want to say nuts to being Newsom's enforcer on his stupid rear end law but saw this new menu in the registers

They want loving records on how many straws and sauces and poo poo are requested? Its impressive how quickly my enthusiasm for working here has plummeted

Leal fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 9, 2022

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

We banned plastic straws and bags and cutlery ages ago it’s pretty much a non issue. Everyone just gives out paper straws and the norm now is for disposable cutlery made of wood.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bumper Stickup posted:

Is it possible they were those wool-eating moths?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Bumper Stickup posted:

that's vile

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Tunicate posted:

that's a generous interpretation but this is retail so it was probably somehow poop related

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I don’t know whether to be happy or sad that I seem to be well below the thread average of poop related incidents (1 in 18 years working in my store - a used diaper tucked behind one of our coke fridges).

Had 3 attempted suicides in the store though, so at least I’m ahead on one metric.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
That’s horribly fascinating. As someone who was suicidal in the past, I can’t imagine wanting other people around when you try to kill yourself. I guess if it was a “cry for help” kind of thing, but they literally didn’t have anyone in their life who would care? Still, why a store?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Had a talk with our store PML/repairman (he got called in to help when the closing team lead started panicking) and yeah that's what they were. Well, are I guess. Turns out that bit of clothing was from the two trailers we have outside the store for extra storage. One has poo poo like lamps, infant beds, pillows, etc in it while the other is just jammed full of clothing. Both have been sitting outside for the better part of a year. So God knows we'll be dealing with those everytime clothing gets pulled from that trailer

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bumper Stickup posted:

Had a talk with our store PML/repairman (he got called in to help when the closing team lead started panicking) and yeah that's what they were. Well, are I guess. Turns out that bit of clothing was from the two trailers we have outside the store for extra storage. One has poo poo like lamps, infant beds, pillows, etc in it while the other is just jammed full of clothing. Both have been sitting outside for the better part of a year. So God knows we'll be dealing with those everytime clothing gets pulled from that trailer
Uhhh, they're letting y'all sell clothing full of grubs? What the gently caress.

Hey, fellow retail goons, is it legal to, when we don't make sales and have to send people home, to cut managers' hours (not the store manager or the rear end. man)? Because that's apparently the plan and we aren't sure if it's legal or just hella sketch.

In hilarious news, our lovely store manager said it was, and I quote, "illegal to not give a two-week notice". And when I refuted, he backpedaled and mumbled something about "only for managers". (Don't worry, once he left, I told them the truth. Tempted to just start putting leaflets out.)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Sending people home is legal afaik just lovely to do it on a non-volunteer basis.

The two week notice thing is extra funny. If your company is at least decently sized there's a strong probability that they simply fire a manager the moment they give notice.

That was the case at my last few retail jobs at least. Managers who were leaving would line up their new job, work until the day before it started and then let the SM or whomever know that they were done because if they gave notice they'd be let go immediately.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Domus posted:

That’s horribly fascinating. As someone who was suicidal in the past, I can’t imagine wanting other people around when you try to kill yourself. I guess if it was a “cry for help” kind of thing, but they literally didn’t have anyone in their life who would care? Still, why a store?

We’re across the street from the biggest public hospital in the state. So we get a lot of mental health patients who seem to have an awful lot of freedom to wander about during the day.

One man came into the store; grabbed a kitchen knife off the shelf from the kitchenware aisle, and attempted to disembowel himself samurai style but was unprepared for how difficult it would be.

Another lady jumped off the roof and landed directly in front of our loading dock, blocking it off for ages. That was the highest point she could jump off; but it was still only like 2 floors, so she was only kinda mushed rather than dead.

And the most recent one a couple of years ago was another guy - a junkie who had hep-C. He took a kitchen knife off the shelf; slit his wrists with it; and then proceeded to prance up and down 3 aisles spraying his tainted blood everywhere; before approaching our assistant store manager to say “can you help me; I’ve done something Bad”. She applied pressure to his wounds with her bare hands. That one was very annoying to clean up and customers were absolute dicks about it trying to get into the roped off aisles.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sankis posted:

Sending people home is legal afaik just lovely to do it on a non-volunteer basis.

The two week notice thing is extra funny. If your company is at least decently sized there's a strong probability that they simply fire a manager the moment they give notice.

That was the case at my last few retail jobs at least. Managers who were leaving would line up their new job, work until the day before it started and then let the SM or whomever know that they were done because if they gave notice they'd be let go immediately.

Oh the sending people home thing isn't new. The new part is that he's gonna take the now-unused hours out of the managers' hours.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

dovetaile posted:

Oh the sending people home thing isn't new. The new part is that he's gonna take the now-unused hours out of the managers' hours.

What sort of law would they be breaking? It would just be a furlough.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

q_k posted:

What sort of law would they be breaking? It would just be a furlough.

Oh we weren't sure if it was breaking any laws or just really sketchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

dovetaile posted:

Uhhh, they're letting y'all sell clothing full of grubs? What the gently caress.

What are we gonna do? Tell the district manager we had to dump a trailer of clothing? And in turn get the store leader in trouble? Nah nah can't have that.