Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MeinPanzer posted:

Yes but why. The people involved in creating the show were extraordinarily thoughtful about all kind of details, so what's the significance of the very specific anachronistic elements in the outie world.

https://variety.com/2022/artisans/news/severance-production-design-apple-1235220628/

https://www.vulture.com/article/severance-office-design-explained.html

Basically to make it disconcerting and disorienting, i think, and because midcentury offices are sort of the platonic ideal of offices but it's not a period piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

corporations and institutions always lag behind the real world

especially ones that hold on to old ideals

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

i love technology that asks me to opt-in to being a second class citizen

Not a second-class citizen, just a second-class customer.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Late to the party but man this show is incredibly well made.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I use Mint Mobile in downtown San Francisco and it works great for me. However, you won't catch me downloading massive files and worrying about fast internet speeds when all I'm doing is using the maps app and texting.

The whole point of it being prepaid is you can use it for a month and drop it if it sucks for you, so just try it for a month.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Dan Erickson posted the original script for "The We We Are" on Deadline, obviously some Spoilers and some cut content in this link:

https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Severance-It-Starts-On-The-Page.pdf

its mostly small stuff like Irving being in the navy or a cut scene about discussions of Erotic Endeavors but there's a lot of neat extra detail in here

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the 80s stuff in the outside world is symbolising how work looms over your entire life. this the theme of the whole show

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I may be wrong, but I think people are confused by Lumon's anachronistic aesthetic. The show itself does not have an indeterminate time period, we are provided with hard dates in things such as the driver's license and the CEO tenures, enough to conclude that the show takes place in modern day or reasonably close.

As the articles linked in this thread mentioned, it is Lumon who has the anachronistic aesthetic, not the entire setting. This is obviously most evident in the severed floor. I don't think it's an accident or coincidence that everything in the outside world that could be considered anachronistic is related to Lumon in some way. The company housing has a definite retro vibe, but the TVs, Mark's laptop, and their smartphones are definitely modern. In that same vein, all of the Lumon employees we see driving a car such as Mark, Cobel, and Irv are in older cars but Ricken and Devon arrive at Mark's home to drop off the book in a fairly modern SUV.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 3, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Desk Lamp posted:

I may be wrong, but I think people are confused by Lumon's anachronistic aesthetic. The show itself does not have an indeterminate time period, we are provided with hard dates in things such as the driver's license and the CEO tenures, enough to conclude that the show takes place in modern day or reasonably close.

As the articles linked in this thread mentioned, it is Lumon who has the anachronistic aesthetic, not the entire setting. This is obviously most evident in the severed floor. I don't think it's an accident or coincidence that everything in the outside world that could be considered anachronistic is related to Lumon in some way. The company housing has a definite retro vibe, but the TVs, Mark's laptop, and their smartphones are definitely modern. In that same vein, all of the Lumon employees we see driving a car such as Mark, Cobel, and Irv are in older cars but Ricken and Devon arrive at Mark's home to drop off the book in a fairly modern SUV.

:yeah:

It all kind of blends together because Lumen is such a big part of the town, but as far as I can tell the setting is contemporary even if it's a bit stylized.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

insider posted:

So maybe I'm behind but there is a Twitter account and the burger ad for Pips is very unsettling.

https://twitter.com/LumonIndustries/status/1502802173633044482

Woe... Kids eat free!

I hope this hasn’t been brought up yet, as I just finished watching the show last night and am making my way through the thread. Real briefly the Lumen logo flashes faintly on the screen -

https://twitter.com/comradesnarkyrd/status/1534299825696518144?s=21&t=WUaiLD5MLrC9BvcJfMFq4w

sorry, don’t mean to twitter self post but not really in a position to upload to imgur etc, right now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That Twitter is just a fan account I believe.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Ah yeah, looks like it. I was fooled by the Adam Scott follow.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Reporting for duty after getting my gang tag. Show loving rules. Stellar performances all around but I think the standout for me has to be Zach Cherry. I also love Michael Chernus' performance as Ricken, reminded me I need to go back and watch season 2 of Patriot!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Levin posted:

Reporting for duty after getting my gang tag. Show loving rules. Stellar performances all around but I think the standout for me has to be Zach Cherry. I also love Michael Chernus' performance as Ricken, reminded me I need to go back and watch season 2 of Patriot!

yes thank you zach cherry is underappreciated (not that the rest of the cast isn't stellar)

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I requested my gang tag in a timely manner yet it was not awarded who can I appeal this to

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
don't give him one, just a wannabe mole

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
but my metrics in Stupidtheory Refinement...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i am a moron posted:

I requested my gang tag in a timely manner yet it was not awarded who can I appeal this to

We had a discussion in the secret thread where we discuss things and agreed you don't deserve one, op

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I would rather die than have a gang tag

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I’m new can I have one

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Benagain posted:

I would rather die than have a gang tag

What would your innie want

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

holefoods posted:

I’m new can I have one

No one new has signed up for a forums account since 2010, everyone past that is reregs.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I'll have to buy access to the archives and find an extremely funny user who was banned and apparently didn't return so I can claim to be them, then.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Captain Monkey posted:

No one new has signed up for a forums account since 2010, everyone past that is reregs.

:regd07:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
2010? that's optimistic. more like 2018

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

quote:

Ain't even wrong.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!

esperterra posted:

Just confirming before I put the upload req in, this is the img y'all want for your sick nasty gang tag, right?

e: PS anybody who wants the tag, pls quote me and let me know if you also wish to keep the tags/etc you have now. last i checked, there is no hard limit on how many tags you can have, but it is up to mod discretion to prune them if they find it obnoxiously long

e2: disregard my stoned rear end, I see some tags goin thru already!!

Please gang tag me!!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Show is dope

Im with the Gemma is TBI'd crew

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 28, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, has anyone mentioned this show’s relationship to Dollhouse, the horrible show by the horrible Joss Whedon? It seems in part a response or incidental refutation, in that it does something good with the premise and sympathizes with the slaves rather than the slave masters and doesn’t feature any gross sex poo poo (mostly)? Dichen Lachman being in both made me think about it. Maybe it’s just an incidental condemnation of Joss Whedon’s obvious limitations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Vegetable posted:

The dance scene reminded me of a very similar scene in Ex Machina. Both are menace and fun in a poppy candy wrapper.

I have to say: neither worked for me. There’s a suspension of disbelief that’s broken for me. Too elaborate, too aberrant in tone and style. The banality of evil gets lost somewhat.

You know the allegory about the people chained up in a cave heir whole life, watching shadows on the wall?

Imagine you had an office of those dudes, and they were all a couple of months old at most.

Pretty sure an MDE would be a big weird deal to them sorts

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

esperterra posted:

I'm going to give anyone who has not received a gang tag, but wants one, until, idk, Tuesday to reply to this post letting me know.

You can pick the tag you want, or let me flip a coin!!!

Also, it anybody reaaaally wants to change the one they did receive to the other, I can do that, too.

Oh poo poo, it's almost Tuesday

please!

Edit: I'm wondering if there wasn't a product batch that actually revolted, resulting in the paintings and the empty desks

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 28, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

BrotherJayne posted:

Oh poo poo, it's almost Tuesday

please!

I put in a request earlier because this show is incredible but I understand if I've not participated enough in the conversation to join the gang.

Is anyone worried about season 2? How did the writers react to people figuring out the Helly/Helena twist ahead of time? If they're excited about audiences being engaged with the material instead of throwing a tantrum like Westworld I'll feel optimistic.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

When the innies are doing their OTC runabout, does it keep the innie focal length on the cameras? Will give it a rewatch tomorrow

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is anyone worried about season 2? How did the writers react to people figuring out the Helly/Helena twist ahead of time?

Hopefully it was with a "We did our job perfectly, then. Made a well written and engaging mystery that most people didn't even know was a mystery and gave enough clues that a few worked it out ahead of time and the rest would be able to look back afterwards and see that it all made sense."

You know, like professionals.

Unlike the Westworld writers who pitched a fit and made two of the most mediocre seasons of television to ever exist. Season 4 of the show has just started and I'm watching just to see how pointlessly convoluted and bullshit they make this one.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Westworld trailers for seasons 2, 3, and 4 are hilarious to me, because drat are they good at making it look like thought provoking high art, but in reality it is total shlock. I say this as someone who obsessed over season 1 for over a year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I saw a review of Westworld S4E1 that called it "surprisingly coherent" which told me a lot as someone who's never seen it.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

KPC_Mammon posted:

I put in a request earlier because this show is incredible but I understand if I've not participated enough in the conversation to join the gang.

Is anyone worried about season 2? How did the writers react to people figuring out the Helly/Helena twist ahead of time? If they're excited about audiences being engaged with the material instead of throwing a tantrum like Westworld I'll feel optimistic.

The Lexington Letter makes me a bit nervous about season 2. Completing a file is/causes some corporate espionage or terrorism apparently? I’d honestly be fine with never actually knowing what they’re doing as long as we keep getting more weirdo Lumon cult poo poo.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

holefoods posted:

The Lexington Letter makes me a bit nervous about season 2. Completing a file is/causes some corporate espionage or terrorism apparently? I’d honestly be fine with never actually knowing what they’re doing as long as we keep getting more weirdo Lumon cult poo poo.

I can see it being both: super weird science fantasy poo poo like building or decoding some sort of algorithm, equation or spell (if you're more into modern fantasy) that can be used to adjust probabilities or shape the world in some way. Corporations going to corporate though, so of course it immediately gets applied to corporate espionage.

Thinking about it, if it did turn out to be magic it would give the whole thing an Unknown Armies vibe.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What got me about the Letter is the part where it implies someone's innie was tortured by waterboarding.

The idea that they can just do anything to them when they're inside as long as they don't leave a mark (or cause a pregnancy) is horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

esperterra posted:

I'm going to give anyone who has not received a gang tag, but wants one, until, idk, Tuesday to reply to this post letting me know.

You can pick the tag you want, or let me flip a coin!!!

Also, it anybody reaaaally wants to change the one they did receive to the other, I can do that, too.

can I get mine fixed?

It can be either though!