Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Syntakt is sweet. Very immediate and jammy. Way nicer than the model cycles. Sounds are really nice on it. This plus a sampler is probably all I need for live sets. Ok and a 303

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

A MIRACLE posted:

Syntakt is sweet. Very immediate and jammy. Way nicer than the model cycles. Sounds are really nice on it. This plus a sampler is probably all I need for live sets. Ok and a 303

drat i’m jealous, and you can always use a 303. it’s like a wise man once said. everybody needs a 303

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

gently caress i keep forgetting... what are the best VST synths to figure out how modular synths work, or getting on the path to just constructing my own sounds??

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

landgrabber posted:

gently caress i keep forgetting... what are the best VST synths to figure out how modular synths work, or getting on the path to just constructing my own sounds??

Download VCV Rack it's free as a standalone. IF you want to use it within a DAW you gotta pay for the pro version.
The free one is plenty of fun.
https://vcvrack.com/

I can put up somethings I figured out about running guitar into it later on if you're looking to get some funky guitar synth sounds going.

There's tons of patching ideas on YouTube from very simple to very complex.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

landgrabber posted:

These are not necessarily the same.

It can help to start with a hardwired synth since a single LFO slider on a hardwired synth can mean you need several modules and cables to achieve the same thing in modular land.

Memorize what each slider or knob in Synth1 or Tyrell N6 does. Then graduate to Surge or Vital. Then try VCV.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Thumposaurus posted:

Download VCV Rack it's free as a standalone. IF you want to use it within a DAW you gotta pay for the pro version.
The free one is plenty of fun.
https://vcvrack.com/

I can put up somethings I figured out about running guitar into it later on if you're looking to get some funky guitar synth sounds going.

There's tons of patching ideas on YouTube from very simple to very complex.

oh i actually am not super interested in doing guitar stuff with it as much as i am trying to figure out how to sculpt my own specific tones/textures to use on top of guitar songs... and also maybe just some ambient things.

basically, last night, i had a weird idea for some extended chords in that common japanese progression - IV7, V7, iii7, vi, or maybe i changed it around a little but it used those blocks -- on a dance rhythm. and i rarely write stuff like that but i wanted to give it a shot... i quickly got frustrated because i spent a good bit searching through arturia presets, because that's all i know how to use, and i couldn't find the right sound, but i could hear what i wanted it to sound like in my head.

so i want to put some time into figuring out how to do this, because it's so sad when i'm inspired but technology kinda gets in the way of writing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

xzzy posted:

It makes sense once you spend a couple hours at it. They all turn your qwerty keyboard into a three octave keyboard, you flip to note entry mode and type out notes. Arrows keys to move around.

The effects column is a little more involved but keep the documentation up in a browser and you can get cool stuff fairly fast. Then you start to memorize the codes and it gets really fast.

Oh I meant ugh like “oh no not another thing I like.” Luckily for me they’re impossible to get phew!

Google Butt posted:

P.s. you can buy an anbernic 351, a teensy and run handheld headless

Wait I have a 351V. Can you give some more deets on what teensy and headless are? They’re a bit vague to google.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

Oh I meant ugh like “oh no not another thing I like.” Luckily for me they’re impossible to get phew!

The M8 is a bit tough to get, yes. But there's 30 years of tracker software floating around so you can try them out on any computer you got laying around if you want.

Rolo posted:

Wait I have a 351V. Can you give some more deets on what teensy and headless are? They’re a bit vague to google.

Teensy is an arduino clone, which is what I believe the M8 runs on. So the makers of the M8 put the firmware out there and you can run it on a teensy in a sort of remote terminal mode.

Downloads and docs here: https://github.com/Dirtywave/M8HeadlessFirmware

There's probably extra steps to get it on a 351, I am ignorant on how to do that.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Laserjet 4P posted:

These are not necessarily the same.

It can help to start with a hardwired synth since a single LFO slider on a hardwired synth can mean you need several modules and cables to achieve the same thing in modular land.

Memorize what each slider or knob in Synth1 or Tyrell N6 does. Then graduate to Surge or Vital. Then try VCV.

Didn't you have a thread where you taught this stuff?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

CRAYON posted:

I'm curious, did someone port m8c to the anbernic 351 or did you build it yourself for the device? I looked into this a bit for one of my linux handhelds but was unsure it would work so never ordered the teensy.

Rolo posted:

Yep! Someone in the discord compiled m8c and figured it out. They have a package on their git with instructions: https://github.com/jasonporritt/rg351_m8c

Basically you'll need to flash ArkOS on the 351 and then run his scripts, it's actually very easy. I will say that I've had better stability with the pulseaudio version. It really just kinda works, very cool.

Edit: in order to run "headless" (basically the m8 without hardware), you need a teensy 4.1 board which is what's in the m8 itself and the headless firmware that is provided on the official m8 github. https://github.com/Dirtywave/M8HeadlessFirmware

Once you have a teensy flashed with the headless firmware, you plug it into your PC and use the web based m8 display or m8c with the teensy plugged in to run headless. You can then navigate using your keyboard or gamepad.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 5, 2022

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Splinter posted:

Didn't you have a thread where you taught this stuff?

Yeah, it got dropped in the archives. Can’t find it back, but I did find some old posts of mine that aged like milk.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Laserjet 4P posted:

Yeah, it got dropped in the archives. Can’t find it back, but I did find some old posts of mine that aged like milk.

Whatever, that thread kicked rear end

landgrabber posted:

VCV rack is literally eurorack virtualized (as is Reaktor blocks I think? Its a NI suite thing)

But for me it was either Reason's Thor semi-modular or a MS-20 in hardware. For subtractive/east coast stuff.

Do you have the Buchla Easel in your arturia pack? idk about the software itself but the thing it's based on would be my always rec for this question if it were more available

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

JamesKPolk posted:

Whatever, that thread kicked rear end

VCV rack is literally eurorack virtualized (as is Reaktor blocks I think? Its a NI suite thing)

But for me it was either Reason's Thor semi-modular or a MS-20 in hardware. For subtractive/east coast stuff.

Do you have the Buchla Easel in your arturia pack? idk about the software itself but the thing it's based on would be my always rec for this question if it were more available

your avatar looks really fuckin classy in night mode btw

as for learning sound design basics syntorial is pretty good and the lessons it has can be applied to pretty much any synth environment. i think it has a free and a paid version with the free one covering the basics and then the paid version getting more in depth w/ regard to specific genres and sounds.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

If you're looking for free synths to mess around with, and have a chrome browser, check these out
https://www.webaudiomodules.org/wamsynths/

I've only started learning about music, and synths within the past couple years, and VCV rack has been the most fun, and for me at least, easiest tool for trying things out and seeing what they do. I think it comes from a longstanding curiosity I've had with seeing people use synths without keyboards, and being absolutely mystified by how they can play music with just knobs ?!?! Cracking open the youtube library full of "Well, see now, this is how this part works, and here's some ideas of what one can do with it" has given me endless directions to experiment in.

For tonight, I took the challenge proposed by hearing mylarmelodies complaining he couldn't get a satisfying kick drum sound using percall. something about not being able to get the right envelope shape out of it.

Thought I'd take a crack in VCV rack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPycgqsPoQg

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

i saw that huge patch and i was like wow thats a lot of spaghetti for a kick drum. drum synthesis feels like a dark art to me. ive tried it many times in the modular but ive never been very happy with my results, and deffo not as happy as i would be just using a dedicated drum synth (of which i have many favorites)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

most of the spaghetti is just my template I keep ready for messing around with. A section for chaotic modulations, a turing machine, and a couple other sequencers run into a sequential switch, and a few other bits and bobs so I can quickly set up voices, and have randomised rhythms and melodies at hand, and can lock in whenever I hear something I like.

ETA: Yeah, usually when I want a drum sound, it's dedicated drum sound producing modules that I'll go for. This was just a little idea I had when listening to a video in the background earlier today.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 5, 2022

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Sound on Sound has a good set of articles on drum synthesis. Here's the cymbal one:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160403120912/http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul02/articles/synthsecrets0702.asp

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I have found that making passable percussion sounds from scratch usually involves layering a few different voices, each with a different volume envelope and eq.

for instance a snare drum might be a quick, loud impulse on top of the white noise body of the sound, and there would also be a tone of some sort that lingers a bit longer than the noise.

It can get to be a lot of modules if you won't deign to multitrack it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Mr. Sharps posted:

i saw that huge patch and i was like wow thats a lot of spaghetti for a kick drum. drum synthesis feels like a dark art to me. ive tried it many times in the modular but ive never been very happy with my results, and deffo not as happy as i would be just using a dedicated drum synth (of which i have many favorites)

snare drums can be challenging and i’ve only just recently started getting satisfied with the snares i’ve made but kicks are a piece of cake.

obviously you can complicate them but as a baseline you can make an 808 style kick by just adding a pitch envelope to a sine wave and then tweaking the pitch and amp envelopes to your liking. it’s quite simplistic but you can make tons of very usable stuff from that base, or even use it as is if it fits the track

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

watho posted:

snare drums can be challenging and i’ve only just recently started getting satisfied with the snares i’ve made but kicks are a piece of cake.

obviously you can complicate them but as a baseline you can make an 808 style kick by just adding a pitch envelope to a sine wave and then tweaking the pitch and amp envelopes to your liking. it’s quite simplistic but you can make tons of very usable stuff from that base, or even use it as is if it fits the track

This is pretty much half the kick drums in my tracks these days. Hell, I often use the same envelope out of PNW for both amp and pitch, and it makes for minimal patching and spaghetti. It's one of the reasons the 2hp Sine has been one of the best modular purchases I've made - not only is it a really nice, clean sine for subtractive synth use, but it makes a hell of a kick drum, especially with the integrated wavefolder to give it some thump and/or distortion. A self-oscillating filter works nicely too.

Decent hihats are relatively easy too, as long as you have a noise source and, preferably, some high-pass filtering. Snare drums and claps are definitely more challenging though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Drums are especially dickish to synthesize because their waveforms and harmonics are generated in two dimensions, not just one like anything that uses strings or air. Sound on Sound is your best source for learning how to synthesize them, but in general kick/snare/tom synthesis boils down to using two oscillators. Or FM if you’re insane like me.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Drums are especially dickish to synthesize because their waveforms and harmonics are generated in two dimensions, not just one like anything that uses strings or air. Sound on Sound is your best source for learning how to synthesize them, but in general kick/snare/tom synthesis boils down to using two oscillators. Or FM if you’re insane like me.

Thanks for the reminder!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you use iOS for any music stuff, take a look at FAC drumkit. It has helped me a lot for understanding drum synth.. I wouldn't say I've gotten better at it, but that's just because I'm a doofus. It was still quite educational. The app lets you mix a sample and two oscillators, and precisely control the pitch and amplification envelope for each layer. It also puts labels on the envelope grid indicating where the transient lives or what frequency ranges are good for each type of drum (subs, booms, etc).

It's super open to experimentation and that gives it its biggest issue: if you go in with a specific goal, you'll probably get something completely different out of it because a setting change gets stuck in your ear and derails the whole process.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

toadee posted:

One way of doing a Snare Drum:

https://voca.ro/17wfHFNNt9Pk

Drum chat: here is a snare drum patch!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

edit that is a very nice sounding snare though, worlds better than what I’ve managed in hardware

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i've been experimenting a bit with generative drums and bass in phase plant lately

https://soundcloud.com/all-caps-rin/generative-drums-2/s-nyY8dY27NkY

watho fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 5, 2022

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like FM. I don’t get it, but I don’t get a lot of things.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Ah poo poo just watched the latest loopop video and now I NEED a matrix mixer

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I had already ordered the passive matrix from Low-Gain Electronics when that video went up. Gonna grab it from the post office tomorrow!

Completely different use case, but still a neat watch. I had kinda forgotten that patch bay normalization was a thing. Today I flipped some of the cards in my patch bay and that made it easier to route things to my monitors.

It's funny, when I sit down to bang out a new melody, nothing really sticks. But sometimes I'll just be walking down the hallway, and I'll need to work out a ditty before I forget it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I made an official SA Mart post for the stuff I'm selling (Monologue, Volca's, Launchpad X, Pocket Operators.)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4003850

b33r still has dibs on the Volca's until otherwise noted, there's also going to be a perfect condition OP-1 added as soon as my field ships.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

If you're wondering what that looks like:

Animated versions on wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrations_of_a_circular_membrane#Animations_of_several_vibration_modes

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

This video synthesizer looks real cool. Hopefully it actually comes out this year and doesn't get delayed forever like the LZX Chromagnon.

https://entropyandsons.com/products/fr4xtal

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

teenage engineering released a pocket operator app for pixel phones:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teenageengineering.pocketoperatorforpixel

said early access when i downloaded so not sure if i got access because i'm a longtime pixel user / fi member or if it's available for anyone with a pixel

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

got on the cirklon wait list today

not sure if I should post that here or stupid music poo poo

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
the next four years will be critical

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CRAYON posted:

teenage engineering released a pocket operator app for pixel phones:

Still overpriced because I'd have to buy a Pixel to use it. TE always coming up with new ways to get people to give up their money!

(the app looks really fun though, the video features are great)

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Ryuichi Sakamoto has stage 4 cancer

:smith:

Goddammit, I loving hate 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

gently caress every year since 1992

post end of history has been an idiot death spiral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Voice of Labor posted:

gently caress every year since 1992

post end of history has been an idiot death spiral

Turns out The Downward Spiral, 1993, was a prophecy.