Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Bruceski posted:

Hippos go vroom vroom. There's your plot right there.

To paraphrase: Hippos may look like badly-stuffed rubber sacks, but what they're stuffed with is muscles...and hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

I think I need a bit more help with CC. When is the best time I should try to make a run for the crystal if my team is on the defensive?

Always wait for your team to respawn unless you absolutely have to run in and guard to stop an outright win. Don't be that guy that runs in 1v5 and dies for no reason. Even just a 4v5 can be dicey if you don't have a quick kill lined up to even out the numbers.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Itzena posted:

To paraphrase: Hippos may look like badly-stuffed rubber sacks, but what they're stuffed with is muscles...and hate.

IRL hippos kill more humans per year than sharks do. Extremely territorial, extremely fast swimmers, and they weigh as much as a small truck.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

also they do that poop spray thing so sitting behind them in a cart is... brave

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

IRL hippos kill more humans per year than sharks do. Extremely territorial, extremely fast swimmers, and they weigh as much as a small truck.

They didn't implement hippos as enemies in this game because they'd be too drat powerful.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Would honestly love a big build up to a fight with a hippo. Feel, Hear, Run.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Consummate Professional posted:

Would honestly love a big build up to a fight with a hippo. Feel, Hear, Run.

We don’t need more purposefully unwinnable solo duties ok.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Hippos probably have the best K/D ratio on humans. Confirmed OP.

https://youtu.be/mfPCFQfOnLg

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Awesome! posted:

also they do that poop spray thing so sitting behind them in a cart is... brave

Especially considering when you hit second rank the tribe transitions to a food delivery service.

Ah, fresh hot meals, only sometimes seasoned with hippo poop.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Itzena posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y-j8nbpq4E

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

On the one year anniversary of my first Newbie Journal, I humbly invite you all to the Stormblood LP

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Welcome to the cousin from the other side of the family of expansions.

(Stormblood is perfectly fine, but it's in between two fan favourite expansions so it gets kind of a bad rap)

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Waking up at 6AM means I get this lil booger a day early :buddy:

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

coming back after a two month break and still can clear p1s on an alt job with poo poo gear, idk why people are so afraid of harder content

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Which invites the question - how did they manage to tame them?

I suppose being an elephant helps.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Trash Ops posted:

coming back after a two month break and still can clear p1s on an alt job with poo poo gear, idk why people are so afraid of harder content
Not everyone is equal on how to manage difficulty or on being good at execution, that's cool that you can, I don't.
While P1S was kind of fine but lost all of its interest when we decided to follow a guide, progressing P2S was negative fun and probably one of the worst activity I've done in the game, killing any interest to do Savages ever for me. I'm exhausted after one hour of having to concentrate on the same stupid mechanic that me or someone will inevitably fail and ruin the run because one death equals a fail attempt usually.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Having done my first savage tier ever in Endwalker, and having no experience of raiding in any other MMOs before playing FFXIV, doing Savage prog, at least to me, is more of a factor of patience and willingness to continue even after seeing the same mechanism over and over again. Eventually you see something enough that muscle memory kicks in and you enter a flow, and almost don't even have to think about mechanisms or how to resolve them. You do have to commit to regular sessions though, which not everyone has the time to do. My casual static did 4-5 hours a week in two slots, and we cleared P4S just before DSR came out.

The only fight that almost broke me was P3S, which was probably a harder and more annoying prog than P4S, but eventually we got through it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

P4S was nice enough to put the hardest mechanic in the raid tier near the start of the fight. If it had been at the end I don't know if I'd ever have managed.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Worth pointing out that just because one person is on a poo poo geared alt job, the rest of their group would likely have much better gear. You could probably have one player do zero damage and still make the p1s DPS check no problem if everyone else has a bunch of savage gear.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
As usual, the optimal position to be in for learning savage fights is "worst person in the static but not quite so bad that they kick you", because when you die it's a chance to learn from your mistakes but when other people die it's a tedious waste of time.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So I am not a fan of savage content, I don't hate it, but I really just don't engage with it because, well it is hard group content.

I like hard content in games, but I like hard 'Solo" content, where I am more free to learn at my own pace, and can tackle it whenever the mood strikes me. With Savage (and above) content I have to align my desire for harder more strenuous gameplay with a regular schedule that just does not mirror when I desire to engage. With harder tasks, I get sudden bursts of energy and desire for the content and when I get beatdown a few times, I sometimes decide to cool off doing something less difficult for a while.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If you don't want a schedule, there's always party finder.

Although, that has worse problems. If you don't clear this session in a static, at least the group is improving and next session you'll probably collectively do better. If you don't clear this session in a PF, next time you'll be with a completely different set of seven people, who are probably somehow even worse than the current people, so it's a lot more frustration and treading water.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Also once strats are established in partyfinder it seems impossible to shake them loose even if it sucks. At least in a static everyone can collectively agree that this sucks and think of a way through it together whether it's from just using another guide for that mechanic or doing our own thing completely

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Xun posted:

Also once strats are established in partyfinder it seems impossible to shake them loose even if it sucks. At least in a static everyone can collectively agree that this sucks and think of a way through it together whether it's from just using another guide for that mechanic or doing our own thing completely

Fortunately they've nearly died out but as recently as two weeks ago I saw P4S part 2 markers placed such that you'll die if you stand on the marker in the relevant mechanic (you actually have to stand slightly to the left of the marker, or use more sensible marker positions).

It can also be a bit disorienting if multiple strats do coexist (or more commonly, the same strat but different player assignments) and you have to adjust from one week to another what you're doing

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
One thing I will say - try Ultima Unreal if you haven't. It really isn't more difficult than many of the hardmode trials you've encountered in the story since then. It's really not a true savage fight except that it hits hard and people will die. The only complicated things are coordinating a tank swap (not complicated) and aetheric boom. There are a bunch of dumb strats re: aetheric boom that really make things harder than they need. For the first two booms, the entire party (minus main tank) should stack behind the boss and get knocked back together. Then the seven of them should soak the 2 or 3 orbs they need to soak. This trivializes the mechanic.

If you have slow dps or die a bunch, you'll have LB3 by the third one, and tank LB3 trivializes the third boom. On the third one, with tank LB3, everyone can solo an orb so everyone just runs and grabs one. Tanks can soak 2-3, so if I'm MT I grab the two orbs nearest the boss.

If you do have high dps and/or minimal deaths, LB2 won't completely trivialize the mechanic, but it simplifies it. With LB2, still just have people run to balls. Who cares if they die - you're miles ahead of the enrage if you only have LB2 by the third boom. With cooldowns as tank I'm still able to solo two orbs with an LB2 and the rest of the party deals with the remaining two.

If you are unsure of doing the fight, just queue unsynced into the level 50 fight so you can watch the mechanics.

I have taken brand new people into the fight and cleared with a single pull. The name seems scary, but you should absolutely do this fight!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
finally did hildi's new one, top tier, back in form, god bless this gentleman and the animation teams

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The pre-quests to unlock the elephants is rough. I do not care about any of these people

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Keep it up, gamer.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sorry that you’re a bad person

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Sorry that you’re a bad person

Sorry man. They should try being little catfish people instead

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Macaluso posted:

The pre-quests to unlock the elephants is rough. I do not care about any of these people

:ok:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Let me be clear the part where the hippos come into play I do care about that. The bit of quests before that with the Au Ra girl and the figuring out where the baby will live and whatever was snoresville. Should've just started me off with the drag racing hippos

edit: This new song is bangin'

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 9, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Macaluso posted:

Let me be clear the part where the hippos come into play I do care about that. The bit of quests before that with the Au Ra girl and the figuring out where the baby will live and whatever was snoresville. Should've just started me off with the drag racing hippos

edit: This new song is bangin'

Aww I thought those were really sweet myself

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's so weird seeing a Hildebrand quest be yellow after they've been blue this whole time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Doing Prae this morning, and I never noticed how shocked_pikachu.jpg I look when Gaius asks the question:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Warmachine posted:

Doing Prae this morning, and I never noticed how shocked_pikachu.jpg I look when Gaius asks the question:

Ha! How very glib.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Shotgunning multiple questlines to get to a new unlock doesn't tend to lead one to care about the contents of said prerequisite.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

P4S was nice enough to put the hardest mechanic in the raid tier near the start of the fight. If it had been at the end I don't know if I'd ever have managed.

Yeah, sometimes they're nice like that. Imagine E8S, but Light Rampant is near the end :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Not a million years would could I have predicted the Lightwarden and VOLLEYBALL stuff with the new Hildrabrand quests