Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

this is definitely car brained as hell https://twitter.com/HowardFMaclean/status/1534098980334088192?t=9xGl8fU-Fl_tXE6diJ6eIg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
a major bus lane and cycleway upgrade has been halted until september by a court injunction in my city, which was initiated by 5 'local businesses'

4 of these local businesses are car dealerships

two of the businesses habitually block a bus lane with car carrier trailers while unloading cars and have never received any kind of penalty for it lmao

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Check out one of the rejected designs for Canberra, and compare it to the awful car hell we got instead

https://www.andrewcusack.com/2013/canberra-ernest-gimson/

While the above didn't happen what we ended up with was nothing like the original winner intended either. People in power were already car brained and ruined it
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/apr/07/story-cities-17-canberra-capital-australia-walter-griffin-ideal-city

quote:

While O’Malley and others embraced the beauty and broad concept of the Griffin plan, Australian officials – and some politicians – never wanted any of this “continental-style”, medium density, communal life with outdoor eating – let alone such Germanic oddities as beer gardens. They wanted their bungalows on vast, private suburban blocks. Besides, O’Malley was teetotal and had ensured that so, too, was the infant capital.

To top it off they basically ignored the winner's design but named the lake after him, huge 'gently caress you' energy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Minera posted:

wearing a fully aerodynnamic suit including padded helmet for increased speedwalking efficiency + coverage in case i fall like huel from hit series Breaking Bad (only possibly in america because of his freedom to drive a winnebago out into the beautiful countryside to cook meth)

love me a nice argument to absurdity

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/kocaina_/status/1534213055097225217?s=20&t=V5crbh7t4ioXWiE5tWuTvQ

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/lovemesomemusk/status/1534455876878118912

Apr 7, 2003

lmao. "figure it out, bing bong"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lmao. "figure it out, bing bong"
It's nice they're paying motorists the same consideration they usually give bikes and pedestrians

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/xkcd/status/1534277433356349440?s=20&t=cTaeCxiizlfOLt11k7-N1A

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://www.heraldnet.com/news/bothell-man-sentenced-to-2-years-for-hit-and-run-that-killed-2/

just murdered 2 people with his car and ooooopsie he thought he hit a garbage can :shrug:

oh well first offense how about 2.5 years in prison?

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Are there any games dedicated to road design and traffic flow etc? Preferably ones that aren't terminally car brained? I want to build my transit pedestrian utopia, and cities skylines isn't the right fit

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cities in motion. not very pedestrian though, more transitbrained eurotrash.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Transport Fever 2 isn't perfect but you can fill every street with trams if you want. Workers & Resources might be an interesting choice. The main focus of the game is setting up industrial chains, but you mostly use transit to get your workers to the factories, you can set up cool little neighborhoods with only pedestrian walkways and transit stops. Private cars are an option but they are not forced upon you. The most interesting thing about the game is that you can press a button and magically build poo poo, or you can choose to produce/import all of the raw materials and use your construction office to build everything after your starter city. Subways and trams are on the way but not in the game yet.

Both of those options will require you to get pretty deep into building rail networks and your streets will be forever full of trucks moving goods where rail can't, so you kinda have to be into that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Samuel Glompers posted:

Are there any games dedicated to road design and traffic flow etc? Preferably ones that aren't terminally car brained? I want to build my transit pedestrian utopia, and cities skylines isn't the right fit

have you tried mods for cities skyline? i think there's a ton of mods (including official dlc) that goes all in on pedestrian routes/trains/buses/etc

i think its the only real option

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Jun 9, 2022

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Workers & Resources is the ultimate pedestrian pathway management simulator. You have to lay out all the paths one at a time and then you have to build the factory to make the asphalt and the gravel needed to lay the path and then buy trucks for them to actually accomplish this. It's great.

Nobody gets a car unless you decide to buy or build cars for them.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
here's a cool free video game about living with car-centric north american urban planning

https://sewerhouse.itch.io/murder-strip

post ur scores

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

here's a cool free video game about living with car-centric north american urban planning

https://froggerclassic.appspot.com

post ur scores

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Samuel Glompers posted:

i like in skylines that you can see cars strangling the city red while bike and walk city is the most efficient way to go

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

get loving destroyed!!!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
what do you mean by we need to kill WFH even harder to burn more fuel for these poor landlords

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
seems like every city planning game is pretty loving obsessed with cars

Apr 7, 2003

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

They all use a manual from the 1960s that gives a gently caress about car throughput and nothing else

cities are for driving through at 80mph, not living in

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

i wanted to build a city of the future in Cities: Skylines but you have to buy dlc to make your cities not car centric

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The flaw with city builder games isnt really that they are so car centric, it's that they never make you do stuff like dedicate half the surface space of your city to parking. I think Workers and Resources has you spend like 2 decades with only heavy industry and public transportation getting vehicles and then when you can press the "everybody gets a car" button everything just goes to hell lol

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sphyre posted:

get loving destroyed!!!

i wish all car drivers

a very

perma-dark days ahead

:thaoldme:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Epic High Five posted:

The flaw with city builder games isnt really that they are so car centric, it's that they never make you do stuff like dedicate half the surface space of your city to parking. I think Workers and Resources has you spend like 2 decades with only heavy industry and public transportation getting vehicles and then when you can press the "everybody gets a car" button everything just goes to hell lol

A good game.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

BraveUlysses posted:

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/bothell-man-sentenced-to-2-years-for-hit-and-run-that-killed-2/

just murdered 2 people with his car and ooooopsie he thought he hit a garbage can :shrug:

oh well first offense how about 2.5 years in prison?

It’s even worse cause it sounds like he had a suspended license and also crashed into more poo poo throughout the day??

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Sphyre posted:

get loving destroyed!!!

twitter is full of "but i neeeeeeeed a car I live 50 miles from work" and "there are no trains or buses in my town i neeeeeeeeeeed a car" as if cheap petrol was the sustainable solution to these problems. government's immediate action was a 5p/litre duty reduction, which barely affected the pump price but did chop £2.5bn out of the budget. excellent.

meanwhile everyone is driving around as if the stuff was free so it can't be too expensive yet.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Horace posted:

"there are no trains or buses in my town i neeeeeeeeeeed a car"

"so can we build a train or add more buses?"

"no need, everyone has a car!"

Apr 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

All gone and the tracks all torn out, everyone has a car now!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
no one would be able to fit through those itty bitty door ways anymore anyhows!!!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
fatshaming sucks and doesn't help

I like the other answer, "but they get stuck in traffic/are too infrequent!". basically "there's not enough of it, why would we want more of it?"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

fatshaming sucks and doesn't help

i apologize to all the hypothetical fat people who cannot fit through the scrapped street car doorways. i did not mean to mock their very real struggle.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It is the height of decadence to have someone else drive me to work while I play Diablo 3 on my Switch, every time I have to drive in instead I feel like a sucker

Apr 7, 2003

i apologize to all the hypothetical fat people who cannot fit through the scrapped street car doorways. i did not mean to mock their very real struggle.

Most of those street cars are still in operation! They were sold off to south American concerns and some ended up in eastern Europe somehow.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

fat guy wedged in streetcar doorway: I've heard of being stuck in traffic, but this is ridiculous!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
as a chubby man who was lucky enough to have been born broad shouldered, i mock the plight of the wide because laughing is the only way to keep from crying

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Workers & Resources is the ultimate pedestrian pathway management simulator. You have to lay out all the paths one at a time and then you have to build the factory to make the asphalt and the gravel needed to lay the path and then buy trucks for them to actually accomplish this. It's great.

Nobody gets a car unless you decide to buy or build cars for them.

why does the price on this game only go up

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

i say swears online posted:

why does the price on this game only go up

It's in early access (aka open public testing). As the game nears completion, it will become full price.