Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Medullah posted:

I guess I should say it was one of the most enjoyable films I've seen this year, but I don't think of it as high cinema. It was basically a toned down Rick and Morty. I just loved the cinematography.

I've seen a lot of comparisons made between that show and the film, but I've never seen an episode of Rick and Morty so I don't have any base of comparison. The movie was just too wacky for my personal taste.

I also don't enjoy Wes Anderson films for similar reasons. Like they're very self-aware of their humor and what they're doing, and that's not a style I'm usually particularly in to. [edit] That probably doesn't make sense, but I struggle to articulate how I feel about movies a lot lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

what channel is the multiverse movie streaming on

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

teagone posted:

I've seen a lot of comparisons made between that show and the film, but I've never seen an episode of Rick and Morty so I don't have any base of comparison. The movie was just too wacky for my personal taste.

I also don't enjoy Wes Anderson films for similar reasons. Like they're very self-aware of their humor and what they're doing, and that's not a style I'm usually particularly in to. [edit] That probably doesn't make sense, but I struggle to articulate how I feel about movies a lot lol.

That I'll agree with. I never got into his movies, just don't draw me in. I did enjoy Bottle Rocket and Rushmore, but the rest I just feel bleh about.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

what channel is the multiverse movie streaming on
guess it's just available now for purchase on streaming platforms

Steve Yun posted:

Everything Everywhere All At Once is now available on Amazon Prime for $20

I wish they’d just hurry it up and make it free with subscription so I can yell at friends to go watch it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
$20 to see a movie?? what is this, 2019?!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That Hulu documentary on the sound cloud rapper xxxtactioananne or whatever the gently caress his name is is fascinating. I’d barely heard of him, but What an absolute piece of loving poo poo this kid was.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Just watched Dual on Amazon Prime.

Boring and I'm unsure what if anything it was trying to say. Every character's flat affect and bluntness made it feel like a worse less interesting version of The Lobster.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

pospysyl posted:

It's going to be freaking epic when the Daniels direct Shang Chi 2

I would also enjoy this, but a different Daniel will do that one - Destin Daniel Cretton

I'm also of the opinion that Shang Chi has some of the best fight scenes on film, period, so I'm excited.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

That Hulu documentary on the sound cloud rapper xxxtactioananne or whatever the gently caress his name is is fascinating. I’d barely heard of him, but What an absolute piece of loving poo poo this kid was.

Sounds like a typical American to me.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
About 90% of the new rappers I hear about I hear about first from their obituaries. poo poo's weird.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent was way better than I could have imagined. Highly recommended

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Sweet jesus, Joe Pera Talks with You is giving me feelings I've only felt with Nathan for You although they're very different shows. Deft mix of the funny and the earnest. Just finishing the first season now but it'd have to take a major dump to sour my opinion, drat. That The Who ep had me loving dying laughing, big recommend!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Joe Pera Talks with You is amazing. If anything, the quality/emotions goes up from season 1

I hope there's a fourth season eventually

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Adult swim's stuff is wild, I downloaded the app on my Roku a couple weeks ago and watched the whole The Trial with Tim Heidecker and it was way funnier than I thought it would be considering the length, I guess it's on youtube too. I love Tim but I didn't think that whole thing would be as entertaining as it was the whole way through and goddamn was I delightfully surprised lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

You might like The Comedy

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Oh I absolutely did, same with Entertainment! which is way less accessible imo. Haven't seen the mountain yet tho

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

doctorthefonz posted:

Adult swim's stuff is wild, I downloaded the app on my Roku a couple weeks ago and watched the whole The Trial with Tim Heidecker and it was way funnier than I thought it would be considering the length, I guess it's on youtube too. I love Tim but I didn't think that whole thing would be as entertaining as it was the whole way through and goddamn was I delightfully surprised lol

Have you watched On Cinema?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

You might like The Comedy

The Comedy is criminally underrated. Would love to see him tackle that sort of tone again.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

doctorthefonz posted:

Sweet jesus, Joe Pera Talks with You is giving me feelings I've only felt with Nathan for You although they're very different shows. Deft mix of the funny and the earnest. Just finishing the first season now but it'd have to take a major dump to sour my opinion, drat. That The Who ep had me loving dying laughing, big recommend!

You should watch How To with John Wilson if you haven't yet. It's a pretty perfect blend of Joe Pera and Nathan for You.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Joe Pera is better because it's perfect but How to with John Wilson is the only show I've seen that gives off a similar vibe.

They are both amazing and well worth a watch. Strongly suggest not bingeing. Small doses so as to be savored.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Glottis posted:

I would also enjoy this, but a different Daniel will do that one - Destin Daniel Cretton

I'm also of the opinion that Shang Chi has some of the best fight scenes on film, period, so I'm excited.

I hope you see another movie someday.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Shang Chi was awesome I’m gonna watch it again

The new stranger things was amazing. Brett gelman makes me laugh so much lol. He’s dialed up to 11 in this series

I gave For All Mankind another shot after getting bored by ep 3 and quitting and wow I’m totally engrossed

Also a few episodes of the boys is out… yeah

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Glottis posted:

Which scenes?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's hard for me to watch movies like that cuz im always just like "why dont i just watch the cooler stuff this is obviously influenced by and a generalized MCU dilution of"
Like i started shang chi and was just like...id rather just watch some dope wuxia movies.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What’s a good wuxia to watch. Like if you could only pick one

Also in the mood for some Indian bro comedy suggestions like Three Idiots and Delhi Belly

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A MIRACLE posted:

What’s a good wuxia to watch. Like if you could only pick one

Lame-rear end mainstream answer but Hero.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The Comedy is criminally underrated. Would love to see him tackle that sort of tone again.

Have you seen permanent vacation? I watched it on hbo and the comedy seems like it’s an homage to that in a way

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Sweet I actually never saw this one

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The bus scene was pretty thrilling

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
gently caress. Ahhh. It's always gonna be a King Hu film even tho he was pioneering this poo poo in the 60s. His all-around best film may be A Touch of Zen but if I had to pick one my personal fave of his will always be The Fate of Lee Khan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEwZK9AJgmo
I dunno if it's on streaming tho. Most King Hu is scattered on either the Criterion Channel or Arrow Player.

(But for more modern stuff, any of the ang lee or zhang yimou flicks of the last 20 years are solid, hero, crouching tiger, etc...even like the more recent yimou one Shadow on Netflix was a lot of fun)

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 9, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

Have you seen permanent vacation? I watched it on hbo and the comedy seems like it’s an homage to that in a way

Nope, but it's going on the list now, thanks!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The bus scene was the only part of Shang Chi that I enjoyed at all and it was in like the first 10% of the movie.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

A MIRACLE posted:

Also in the mood for some Indian bro comedy suggestions like Three Idiots and Delhi Belly

Have you watched RRR yet?

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

The bus scene just made me want to watch a Jackie Chan movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

fancy stats posted:

The bus scene just made me want to watch a Jackie Chan movie.

Speaking of, I watched The Protector last weekend and that movie begins and ends with two insane action sequences.

I own it, but it’s also on Tubi and Plex iirc.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Even more mainstream but Crouching Tiger is as close to a perfect movie as is possible

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I remember trying to watch the sequel that came like 10 years later and it was completely different in tone and super weirdly goofy

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

I remember really liking Hero back in the day, especially the chess fight, but I haven't seen it in at least a decade. Crouching Tiger was also awesome. Looks like Hero is on Cinemax and Crouching Tiger is on HBO

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nihonniboku posted:

The bus scene was pretty thrilling

Was it one of the best action scenes put to film?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mad Max Fury road logging on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Upsidads posted:

Mad Max Fury road logging on

Infinitely rewatchable movie, so good