Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Chill la Chill posted:

So I’ve been looking for more exotic looking grass tufts in weird colors. I was lucky and able to get Vallejo neon tufts from my LGS, but apparently they’re back ordered everywhere and don’t know if any more will be restocked. I saw that green stuff world makes them as well: https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/315-martian-fluorescent-tufts-6mm

However, it looks like they are not based in the US and I haven’t been able to find any online game stores that stock them. Does anyone know if any US-based companies makes those kinds of colors above (mainly looking at the neon blue/pink/purple/orange offerings) or if GSW is sold at a US online store? If not I don’t mind making a bigger order and paying for shipping, but would like an alternative if there is one.

https://www.gamersgrass.com/product-category/special-tufts/alien/

Gamers Grass is great stuff. They're also not US based, but you can find their stuff here pretty easily. An LGS near me carries it, for instance. I've also seen it on various web stores. One store I've ordered from a few times carries it, but they're out of stock on all the colors aside from blue currently. https://warpfireminis.com/accessories/gamers-grass/tufts/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wip, decided to do the face and hair first. Trying to make it look like she subtly has makeup on, it's hard at this scale

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Depending on what you're looking for I can also recommend Huge Minis.
https://hugeminis.com/shop/miniature-basing-tufts/overgrown-tufts/
They ship fast, and I've really liked all their products that I've tried so far.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
Painted these two over the weekend. Before these i've only painted like 2 space marines and that was over a decade ago, so this is all pretty new to me. Still i´m pretty happy how they came out.

By far the most painful part of the painting process was getting those white thunderbolts on the shield. Spent a bunch of time alternating between the white and blue paint fixing mistakes until I reached an acceptable (for me) standard / gave up :v:

I was following some generic paint scheme but if I would change one thing that would be the emblem on the right shoulderpad, I think it would have looked way better in gold than in white. Shading it didn't improve it much.

I used the agrax earthshade and covered the whole model on the left. Wasn't much of a fan of how it subdued the blue and white colors so I avoided those areas on the other one.

Any tips on what I could do more (aside from finishing the base)?

BONUS: Here's one of the dudes I painted way back. In comparison with the other two it kinda looks like I didn't thin my paints back in the day :)

edit: fixed image links

Njashi9 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 6, 2022

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Indolent Bastard posted:

The minis need bigger slashes of pure white to make them look more unreal and cell shaded. Plus it will brighten them up.

They look good as is, but that my vote for what would push them one step further.

The big dude could use another highlight pass or two with some pure white at the end to really pop the skin texture.

e.

Njashi9 posted:

BONUS: Here's one of the dudes I painted way back. In comparison with the other two it kinda looks like I didn't thin my paints back in the day :)

Your images aren't coming through for anyone not a member of that Discord server, like... all of us.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oddly enough, I can see them.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Yeah, I’ve never had a problem seeing random Discord attachments.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

1st squad of minis update 2:
I feel like I'm never going to be able to put this squad down so for my own sake I'm going to do a few more small details, base them, and move on to the next model so I can actually play the game one day. And eventually get a lamp so the pics don't look quite as potato quality.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

as far as i'm getting on my custodes tonight.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone else in building mode?

I may have overdone it, 50/80 customizable minis are now assembled from piles of Stargrave sprues...

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

It's bullshit stores don't have bits boxes anymore. There's only one store near me that does, and they don't add to it anymore.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 7, 2022

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Xpost from the superior Warhammer (and not even dead) thread:

Major Spag posted:

Can you tell I am excited for 2.0? Because I am!

Other side of that spear

And here is the whole squad together

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The Demilich posted:

It's bullshit stores don't have bits boxes anymore. There's only one store near me that sites, and they don't add to it anymore.

Miss GW's bitz service I never got to take advantage of, doing kitbashes is either scouring multiple bitz sites hoping you get lucky with a restock or biting the bullet and spending £35 on one part of a model.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Tried out the stippling technique that Verisimillidude linked for my Chaos boys and I like it a lot.

Now if only I could photograph things better.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What sort of quality is GW's modern resin offerings? I know they had that horrible period where they toyed with switching completely over to resin, and everything turned to garbage quality, but I assume they ironed things out since then?

I really like all the 30K primarchs they've transitioned over from FW at a cheaper price, but I don't necessarily want to get them if they're going to be a pain in the butt. I have quite a bit of experience with resin sculpts, from the best of the best to awful warped garbage full of holes, and I'd rather not have to deal with the latter again.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What sort of quality is GW's modern resin offerings? I know they had that horrible period where they toyed with switching completely over to resin, and everything turned to garbage quality, but I assume they ironed things out since then?

I really like all the 30K primarchs they've transitioned over from FW at a cheaper price, but I don't necessarily want to get them if they're going to be a pain in the butt. I have quite a bit of experience with resin sculpts, from the best of the best to awful warped garbage full of holes, and I'd rather not have to deal with the latter again.

Forgeworld kits, especially newer ones, are really good. It’s nothing like finecast.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Mr Teatime posted:

Forgeworld kits, especially newer ones, are really good. It’s nothing like finecast.

yeah the FW resin is quite good these days, but still with the caveat of their quality control being rubbish and the chance of having to engage with their extremely good customer service absurdly high for the price you'll pay

and abstractly any resin kit bigger than a dreadnought from anyone anywhere can gently caress off. its never worth the hassle

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Assessor of Maat posted:

yeah the FW resin is quite good these days, but still with the caveat of their quality control being rubbish and the chance of having to engage with their extremely good customer service absurdly high for the price you'll pay

and abstractly any resin kit bigger than a dreadnought from anyone anywhere can gently caress off. its never worth the hassle

I’ve bought far, far too much stuff from forgeworld and I’ve only had to get onto customer service two times. First time a Deimos rhino had some slip on the wheels and the second they mis packed some auxilia veletaris so I got two of one part and zero of another. On both occasions they sent me full new kits with no quibbling. I’ve never had any catastrophic flaws and you can rest assured that if you do you’ll get it replaced asap.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Mr Teatime posted:

I’ve bought far, far too much stuff from forgeworld and I’ve only had to get onto customer service two times. First time a Deimos rhino had some slip on the wheels and the second they mis packed some auxilia veletaris so I got two of one part and zero of another. On both occasions they sent me full new kits with no quibbling. I’ve never had any catastrophic flaws and you can rest assured that if you do you’ll get it replaced asap.

IDK, maybe they surmise an australian address indicates a mark; the prices suggest as much, and I've been dumb enough to pay. in any case - have had parts with enough slippage they're unsalvageable, obviously packed uncured, broken due to air bubbles, etc. across multiple orders in the last few years. not too long ago they forgot to pack an entire kit I ordered before sending it. all sorted out painlessly, and I've gotten more good castings than bad, but enough it's past the point to call just a result of bad luck.

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009
I did a future elf wizard driving a bike-plane.

Also, My Spirit Otter, I like how you did the swords on those Custodes. It reminds me of the Moonlight Greatsword from the Soulborne games.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
lord of virulence i just finished. first time using contrast paint. i went a bit heavy on the earthshade, but otherwise im happy with it.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
X-posting from the 40k thread-

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Finished the initial roster for my Alpha Legion kill-team:

It is unknown whether the DEAD COIL callsign refers to a single operative, an honorific, a rank within the XX Legion structure, or is simply a Legion psyop. However, Inquisitorial records connect it with confirmed XX Legion activity though out history, dating back to the Battle of Pluto in 010.M31. What is known is that an Alpha Legion kill-team commander operating under the DEAD COIL callsign has been active in the Nachmund Gauntlet, notably armed with the daemon weapon "Manglemourn", formerly in the possession of XII Legion warlord Arlox Khaw. Twin to the daemon weapon "Goregrieve" still in Khaw's possession, it is speculated that DEAD COIL is using the connection between the two weapons to draw Khaw's World Eater warband into the Nachmund Gauntlet for unknown reasons.

Edit: lol just noticed the broken spike on the Chosen's backpack

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's everyone's favorite size brushes?

I'm finding I only like sizes 1-2 and 3-4 are too large except for base coating, and 0 or 00 the paint dries out before I'm ready and I can still do eyes with size 1 just fine...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Brush size varies wildly by brand, gotta be more specific.

I like a cheap general synthetic for general basing, Raphael8404 #2 for finer detail, and a Raphael 8404 #1 for super fine detail (including eyes)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's everyone's favorite size brushes?

I'm finding I only like sizes 1-2 and 3-4 are too large except for base coating, and 0 or 00 the paint dries out before I'm ready and I can still do eyes with size 1 just fine...

Currently I've been using a Windsor & Newton series 7 #3 since Nov for everything but dry brushing. I did just buy a #1 same brand to get in a bit tighter, the smaller overall brush size helps me with getting into some areas and brush control.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I got a what looks like a 2-hair size 00000000 or something stupid small brush and you're right, it's useless - anything dries up way too fast

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah the difference in size between 8404s and Series 7s is pretty striking, I used W&N Series 7 size 1 almost exclusively for a while but moved to an 8404 size 2 for a lot of work just to hold a bit more paint. And yeah I learned a long time ago that a 0000 is probably useless for detail.

I still like having a W&N size 0 on hand, not necessarily for eyes and fine detail but because I don’t like painting in sub-assemblies and sometimes a smaller brush just feels more comfortable jamming into nooks and crannies when I need to.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
I use a crappy #2 for 90% of the model, a nice #2 with a finer point for details, and a specialized brush for drybrushing (army painter one)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've been using monument hobbies brushes, and game envy brushes (phalanx)

I need to get some 8404 brushes...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I got some of the monument sable brushes to try out. The #2 is a 8404 #1 and a #4 is an 8404 #2

They seem pretty good

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I gave up on trying to hunt down 8404s. I bought and just started using some of the Artis Opus brushes, and so far they're nice. Only had two sessions so far and I've been using a size 3 for most of the work. I definitely prefer the larger sized brushes because the larger bellies let you hold more paint. Less time spent loading the brush, it doesn't dry out as fast, and it's easier to keep paint out of the ferrule because it's just a further distance away from the point. And with a good tip, you don't need a tiny brush to do detail work.

lol like I do detail work anyway. I'm just trying to not gently caress up edge highlights still...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Give me R&Co 33 kolinksy sable size 0 and 2/0 or Artis Opus S Series size 0 and 000, or give me death.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The hyper detailed point is a god send and I wouldn't be able to do half the stuff I do without it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

I'm not going to spike my airbrush into the toilet or whatever but my next one won't be with them - what's a good alt for when I want to replace my patriot/sotar when they biff?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm not going to spike my airbrush into the toilet or whatever but my next one won't be with them - what's a good alt for when I want to replace my patriot/sotar when they biff?

Iwata

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Are they aware GenCon has mask and vax requirements?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Harder and Steenbeck are pretty great, especially the CR+

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Side comment; has anyone seen stylerenz primer acting hydrophobic to paint after applying? I am very confused about that.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Harvey Mantaco posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Long time coming with their patriotic imagery and such, but that sucks to see. My 105 is built to last and works well.