Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
use your cheap archers, basically. you can sustain a bit of a deficit if you keep fighting, just hoard it and don't waste it on buildings until you've got a foothold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Big thing that changes the game: you should only really be spending a lot of money on military buildings and settlement upgrades. Maybe economic buildings like hat-makers, for money. Then when you’re rolling in dough start grabbing bullshit like public order buildings, corruption fixers, roads, and other stuff.

You should never be too broke to upgrade a settlement building, and grabbing like… artillery completely changes the game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rebellions are free sacks of money if you have walls up

Getting cavalry or artillery or monsters in any form is a game changer.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Yeah I find it best early on to just bulk out your initial armies with your cheapest troops and keep them fighting. Rebellions are usually not worth avoiding - just go smash them when they show up if you're not confident in holding your town against them. Don't waste time replenishing slowly - it is often cheaper just to combine a bunch of chewed up spearmen and then recruit some new ones in a single turn than to sit there and wait 4 or 5 turns for your army to refill.

You can get a lot of money sailing around to the little shipwrecks in the ocean. Sometimes you'll have to fight some pirates but oftentimes its just pure rewards.

Try not to keep big armies sitting around doing nothing. At the worst go raid one of your neighbors to earn some cash. Feel free to sack/raze towns you can't really afford to hold. Mostly you want to pimp out your home province and the other ones can be economic buildings + defenses. I do 90% of my recruitment back in my home province.

When I unlock a good amount of new troops and can afford them, I will send my Best Army with my faction leader back to the home province to get some new guys. Usually your chaff troops you started with are now pretty experienced, so you can swap them into another shittier army.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Midig posted:

Im still on Total warhammer 2 until Mortal Empire comes to TW3. I just got to try The Warden faction and I am a big fan of the capture/defend dynamic that it goes for, along with its semi shadow of Mordor feature where you use captured leaders against them. Now AFAIK I have to use my pokeball on the enemy leader as I am about to wound him, but I find this kind of tiresome. I just want to have access to the features if I wound the enemy lord. Or at least have a way to increase the duration of the capturing pokeball to longer than 2.5 seconds.

Also any general advice on how to avoid going minus on cash if much appreciated, since you start with two lords and you cant really progress much on either side unless you decide to buff them both up...

here's some of my posts in the old WH2 thread of a L/VH Eltharion campaign

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

update on the Eltharion campaign. Malagor showed up and blew up Top Knots. I also lost Gor Gazan to Settra but we're bros for the moment because I can't open up another war front. Wurrzag got gobbled by Teeth Snatchaz and Eltharion has been poking at them timidly. I've been hiring mistwalkers directly into Eltharion's army since I need all economic in the only 2 provinces I have. I think if Eltharion can survive long enough he'll just power them up and go ham on everyone else. also it is turn 14 and I've secured Tor Yvresse and am on the way to being bros with Tyrion

Grimgrog has been powering up tho and has declared war on Karaz-a-Karak. I think I need to help form a grand alliance through shrewd diplomacy

you can do silly things early game with Eltharion

silverin guard with red line and some buffs are tanks

if you're forced to go Allarielle's other unique skill line, bcuz the ai spends points badly, and stack Eltharion's mistwalker traits you apparently make an unkillable monster. that and makes her name hilariously long

overall, my plan for only hiring mistwalkers worked out. I never built military buildings, in the eastern badlands. the biggest hurdles are becomes bros with Tyrion and immediately declaring war on Morathi so they keep her off the donut. I tried not to spend money on the minor settlements in the badlands simply because it was too hard to protect that much land until walls were up in the capitols. I never got to save Imrik because Eshin trashed him early. I did form a grand alliance with humans and dwarves and ended the campaign a turn before chaos showed up :v:

oh and you have to fight a lot more manual battles due to the capture system. I've come to loathe how it works because of how attack animations work and the opponent living with just a sliver of health. Lords on monstrous mounts are bad for dueling since they tend to ragdoll their opponent

I pretty much only did the get los and % of money one. I think indoctrination? when you capture a rebel armie's lord and defeat said army. the lord gets auto-killed and you collect the resource. so I committed to not really managing the badlands and letting things go wild with chaos corruption from Malagor and vampire corruption from Styrgos. this means I had lots of armies to fight thus giving me a steady stream of money, exp, and unique currency. rebel armies have the benefit of being weak when they spawn so they are quick to do. I will recommend using archers to finish off your capture target as they are just way more consistent

oh and as a reminder you can capture Lords or Heroes. which includes heroes that are a part of a settlement's garrison

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

A big part of every eltharion game is forgetting to capture anyone till you're like twenty turns in

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
I updated the OP with the news about Immortal Empires (and patch 1.2, drat I've been gone a while) so there's that. Also finally got around to putting the spring break event image into the thread after it's been taking up my tabs for months and months

KPC_Mammon posted:

I got 9 hours out of the third installment before shelving it for potential updates. I've played the second for 1,500 hours. I highly recommend the second one and think the third is mostly trash at the moment.

something like this is the reason I didn't update the OP as much. I had a similar experience with TWW2 release where the drag of the skaven campaign (loving goddamn 350 turns to grind out the tokens for the last event) caused burnout and I didn't come back for months and months.

That said, hours is not the be-all-and-end-all. I have a couple hundred hours in battlefield 5 (stopped like apr 2019, back for like 2-3 weeks after the pacific release) that was mostly spent feeding addictive gameplay loops (the grinding mechanics :( ) rather than having any actual fun shoving the s-meme launcher on a pz38t and blowing up crowds of allies

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jokes posted:

Big thing that changes the game: you should only really be spending a lot of money on military buildings and settlement upgrades. Maybe economic buildings like hat-makers, for money. Then when you’re rolling in dough start grabbing bullshit like public order buildings, corruption fixers, roads, and other stuff.

You should never be too broke to upgrade a settlement building, and grabbing like… artillery completely changes the game

You don't really even need military buildings(beyond whatever it takes for you to get your lowest tier archers and artillery, if your faction has them). Most factions can only really afford to run their poo poo tier troops for a while anyway, and it's better for almost everyone to spend all of their money on growth and income buildings and only build military infrastructure once you're at tier 3 plus, and even then you're best off getting your agent buildings up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
High and dork elves can really get most of the way through a campaign with just a lord, a mage, and 18 basic archers. Maybe mix in some spears if you are a coward.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kanos posted:

You don't really even need military buildings(beyond whatever it takes for you to get your lowest tier archers and artillery, if your faction has them). Most factions can only really afford to run their poo poo tier troops for a while anyway, and it's better for almost everyone to spend all of their money on growth and income buildings and only build military infrastructure once you're at tier 3 plus, and even then you're best off getting your agent buildings up.

Yeah I think the best strategy for a lot of factions is to start with as many +growth buildings as you can so you can get out of tier 1 faster and get some siege weapons or whatever.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I never use agents in the field. Just cant be bothered

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The "immobilize" agent action can counter incredible amount of AI movement bullshit and some agents can get enough bonuses to the "assault units" agent action that it actually does meaningful damage to enemy armies, but otherwise yeah. And of course, killing other agents is always useful.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

it be nice if they added more hero actions and specialization skills like the kislev heroes get at rank 20. it also be nice if heroes could have multiple hero-to-own-army actions to choose from.

empire captain - increase mobility or boost recruit rank
at rank 20 choose 1
  • marshal the men: +2 local recruitment,-25% recruitment cost
  • for the emperor: immune to psychology (lords army)
  • rapid deployment: reduce reinforcement time by 33%
  • expeditious encampment: reduce movement cost of encamp to 25%
warrior priest - increase replenishment or reduce attrition
witch hunter - improve campaign line of sight or reduce local enemy army movement
wizard - find magical items or channeling to boost local winds
master engineer - :smith:

get rid of all the campaign level hero actions, id rather heroes augment my own armies rather then idling around high income provinces or getting dry humped by enemy heroes for 40+ turns

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah agents on the campaign map are a total miss. If they ever make Warhammer 1: 2 I'd like to see them modify 3K's generals so the heroes can be sub-officers that affect your army comp. Runepriests buff archaic dwarfs, captains buff state troops, etc. Delete them from the map.

Also give them cool 2D art but their hats and weapons and poo poo change when you swap around their loadouts.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 9, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I don't use heros on the map because I hate being bugged about how I haven't moved one of them this turn. Why did they remove the "deploy" function from earlier total war games?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

i like them \o/ wish we had more in game 3 but that’s what DLC does

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Leal posted:

I don't use heros on the map because I hate being bugged about how I haven't moved one of them this turn. Why did they remove the "deploy" function from earlier total war games?

They made the deploy effects passive so they could do other things. I think there is still a way to sleep heros so it doesn't keep bugging you about moving them.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
You can just turn off the unmoved hero end turn notification and checkmark individual heroes for notification if you have scouting/assassinating/blocking heroes you do want the popup for.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Or they could make it so we could assign heroes to settlements and add them to the garrison. That would be nice.

That way you get better garrisons AND you can assign heroes to a province for their settlement benefits without needing get that popup

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 9, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Can't just cut heroes out entirely or VH/Legendary campaign get real nutty. Maybe armies with heroes in them could get a limited pool of resources to send out scouts or assassins or something. It has never felt particularly intuitive to move my army and then move my hero out and do things with a 19 stack.. and I think they share movepool that way anyway. Having the "can slow enemy army" hero in my army and he can do that on other armies in range would be swank, like he's casting a little spell on the campaign map. I always just make separate heroes anyway like "This guy will never leave this stack" and "this guy will always be on the campaign map" and level them accordingly, never mixing and matching until they reach level cap.

Ravenfood posted:

Or they could make it so we could assign heroes to settlements and add them to the garrison. That would be nice.

This'd be real nice.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9QOTI1rf30
Haha i mean it's true....

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Collapsing Farts posted:

I never use agents in the field. Just cant be bothered

Agents loving own and they are frankly OP. 3Ks approach was much better and is what they need to do with the game. Once leveled, assault garrison/assault troops is wildly OP. I use them for dealing with obnoxious armies like late game skaven or dark elves quite often. Three heroes hitting the same stack will wreck it and then you can come mop up with whatever stack you have handy. As others mentioned, block army can also be a complete game changer. I've gotten out of multiple sticky situations, or setup fantastic opportunity for myself, when using block army. It is, however, somewhat obnoxious and time consuming to use.

The above mentioned suggestions I broadly agree with, and I've posted before in these threads that I think heroes should be removed from the map and either be assigned to settlements, armies, or ventures, where ventures are just an assignable version of a lot of current hero actions. Just steal the general setup of eshin's contracts thing. They're just too fiddly (its also super lovely when you get a couple really bad rolls in a row and lose like 3 loving heroes early game or w/e).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The worst thing about agents on the map is watching the AI fart out 2,000 agents and the end turn times are you watching some stupid agent run back and forth across your land every turn for 30 turns. The 3k system is much better, if anything to hide AI stupidity.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Disable all agent camera settings
Disable all agent actions

There now all the agent problems are fixed~

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

jokes posted:

There's even a mod that gets them to join AI armies more often

how is save camera settings not standard yet idk

if it's standard now gently caress me i didn't find it

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Captain Beans posted:

The worst thing about agents on the map is watching the AI fart out 2,000 agents and the end turn times are you watching some stupid agent run back and forth across your land every turn for 30 turns. The 3k system is much better, if anything to hide AI stupidity.

The first thing I do in every campaign is set agent actions to "off" in the end turn camera. If something important happens I'll get a notification.

I would love heroes to work more like the Kislev Atamans, as Ravenfood suggested, or TaintedBalance. I think Civ 5 did this with your intelligence agency - you could assign agents to your own cities for defense, or to opposing cities to perform various missions, with a little travel time if you swapped them.

Civ also has the incredibly good idea of hex grid movement.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Now that you mention it, I wonder how Pestilens will interact with Nurgle plagues and vice-versa. I imagine Nurgle could make something that ruins Pestilens but the other way around would be kind of weird. Considering you can plague everything with Norsca as an option in TWW2 (but good luck getting to an alive Pestilens) I wonder why I never thought about that before.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Nurgles really just a giant diseased rat that we mistook for another humanoid, skaven were right nurgle fans will be devastated.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

jokes posted:

And yes, this. If you're not using the disable AI agents mod of your choice (is there more than one?), then that's kind of on you at this point. As they exist now they are giant anti-player fun machines, just absolute garbage. AI cheats + the AI targeting JUST you the moment one gets near you is just total trash. Nothing like getting your army blocked by an ally while you're on your way to try and support them :wtf:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm currently reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Green Mars and one of the characters is named Nirgal, after the Sumerian god that Nurgle is derived from, it's strange

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Rats: their historically strongest clan has exactly the same theme as Nurgle and is ruled by a dude called Nurglitch
Rat fans: NOOOOOOOO making skaven a chaos faction is a total GW retcon, loving end times

that bit always got to me.

TaintedBalance posted:

And yes, this. If you're not using the disable AI agents mod of your choice (is there more than one?), then that's kind of on you at this point. As they exist now they are giant anti-player fun machines, just absolute garbage. AI cheats + the AI targeting JUST you the moment one gets near you is just total trash. Nothing like getting your army blocked by an ally while you're on your way to try and support them :wtf:

Speaking of skaven, Ikit in ME is the perfect demonstration of this. Your missions need you to send a character to South America, undercities further incentivize doing just that, but if you so much as lay eyes on the donut while sailing your dude over every single elf attacks you.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 10, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kazzah posted:

I'm currently reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Green Mars and one of the characters is named Nirgal, after the Sumerian god that Nurgle is derived from, it's strange

Huh, I didn't know that Nirgal and Nurgle share the same root. But I've read the Mars trilogy before ever playing anything Warhammer related. Looking it up, it's... interesting to see who inspired Nirgal's name. Because I remember that KSR didn't just name the characters for how the names sound. Saxifrage means "rock-breaker", and Ann Clayborne as his opposite has a pretty obvious name. And it's easy to see why Nurgle was named after that god, but Nirgal?

Anyway, great taste in literature, Kazzah.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Bah that all sounds exactly like civ 6. You can incite rebellions in your enemies but if they spot a single one of your units they will walk through thousands of miles of territory with dozens of targets just to kill you and you alone

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah you guys are really underestimating the ask of "own two whole rear end games to play this big fuckoff mode." For the record, if it wasn't for the sale going on right now, Total Warhammer 1 is still a full 60USD game.

I'm sort of in this position now, I got 1 for free with epic games, but there doesn't seem to be any cheap way of getting the sequels or DLC and will probably have to rebuy it on Steam...

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There’s really no need to buy any DLC for a long rear end time unless you just love one of the races I particular. Game 1 and 2 together are enough to carry you for hundreds of fun hours. And that’s before mods. It’s still more of an ask than most games but look at the huge list of DLC and think you’re missing out by not having it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah I'm not really fussed by the DLC anyway, I only realised I could get Bretonnia for free a couple of weeks ago because this poo poo is all over the place, there's no simple "download and install everything" button. TWH2 wasn't even available on Epic a few weeks ago but now it is, there's no cheap way of getting it there, whereas there's Steam resellers that are pretty cheap.

Just give the old games away Sega, I'll even give you real cash money and buy 3!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah it could really do with one of those Paradox-style Humble Bundles where you get most everything for like $25.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Agents should either be a behind the scenes option with diplomacy so you don't have to walk them all over the place to make use of them OR they should be small squads with unique mechanics that encourage weird battles like the caravan ones.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

These people attempted to make campaign actions fun and we got puzzles so

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
the puzzles were a decent idea, I liked the sudoku as a few minutes time waster and the visualize a dice roll thing. They would've been downright serviceable if CA had taken out whatever the hellfuck was that puzzle that wanted you to mentally spin several concentric circles at the same time and the one or two sudoku's that had multiple answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah the concentric circles one and the fact that rarely do you want to just leave ruins uncolonized means I rarely interact with the puzzles and when I do I just look up a guide even though I’ve done them a bunch.