Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm glad I dont like watching TV while its daylight out, it would really suck with my living room window and TV directly opposite each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone with OLED money has blinds/drapes money too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KillHour posted:

Who's saying you should be comparing peak HDR brightness on a tiny square in the middle of a black screen? If you look at brightness tests for realistic scenes, OLEDs are all in the 300 nit range while many LED TVs around the same price (or cheaper) are 600 or higher.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/peak-brightness

We're still taking peak brightness here. Even if you can max out a TV in settings so that it can output 600 or 1000 nits in SDR for highlights, everything else is below that. That may improve watchability for stuff that has a higher ABL like news or sitcoms, but anything with dynamic range is still going to leave a lot of stuff overpowered by the sun because it's still going to be dimmer because it's supposed to be dim.

And that's SDR content where you are just shifting the entire range up. You start watching HDR content or playing newer console games that use HDR, and the TV is expecting to use that higher output for improved dynamic range. So the lower brightness levels are going to stay lower and get overpowered even more from the ambient light or direct glare.

Then there's the issue of color accuracy as brightness increases which some TVs do fine at, but some get really skewed as you shift things upwards.

You just can't overpower unfiltered natural light either as a glare source or average ambient light and not compromise the picture quality greatly. You can bring up the brightest areas of the image to make them a bit more legible if your TV has headroom, but it's only a partial solution and likely still going to be frustrating for stuff like gaming. Also, if it's actual glare and not just high average ambient light, that's basically game over. That reflection is going to overpower just about anything.

My advice is always going to be to attempt to control your light sources in some way. I certainly wouldn't go to a midrange led backlit TV to eek out some extra brightness in the middle of the day, compromising ideal viewing conditions otherwise. If you want to spend the extra on a micro-led TV to really blast your retinas, have at it. I would rather pull a drape.

At any rate, based on the TV the OP is coming from, the OLED is still going to be 3x brighter.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't really know what the OP's particular situation is, but I'm going to go ahead and argue that spaces need to perform multiple functions and "make your room dark so it is optimal for TV watching" is not always an answer. You might need to set the brightness levels to something that sacrifices black levels or color accuracy to fit your environment, and I think that's fine.

Anyways, as for the anti glare stuff, some TVs have a matte finish and some have a glossy finish, so it might be worth figuring out which are which and going to a best buy or something to compare.

The TVs there are all going to be set to maximum possible brightness settings for store display but at least you can see what that is and if you're lucky maybe someone will turn that off for you to see the actual picture.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
For reference, we currently have a 2017 Vizio Class E Series TV

Our problem is that the room we use for the Den has windows on two walls and no ceiling lighting, it's all lamps with hue bulbs. I have slatted blinds that we can angle up to block light, but I still like having them half open for some light which just reflects horribly off our current tv during the daytime. Even in the evening the glare is awful (with Phillips Hue bulbs turned down super low) unless you're sitting directly in front of the TV, and dark scenes (especially on games) are impossible to make out altogether sometimes. It's just really started to bug me recently and I figure it's been almost exactly five years since we bought a cheap tv, so I was hoping there might be some pertinent jumps in technology since them

Specifically I was hoping samsung's anti reflective coating might fix this issue? But it sounds like I wouldn't see much benefit upgrading to an OLED with said coating? I thought since dark scenes were pretty bad with the LED, OLED might render those better.

I've also been looking at installing some sort of track lighting system that can be customized for more indirect lighting, but maybe some sort of crown moulding with recessed hue light strips might be better?

Not trying to outcompete the sun, just to have some harmony and minimize the effects from inevitable light sources as much as possible

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I've already got blackout curtains for the window across from the TV, but I have pull-down rolls to cover the sliding glass door, and the room still gets really bright in the afternoon. Might put some drapes in I guess?

So I guess don't wait til Black Friday on the C1? The 65" has been on sale, but the 77" has been firm at 2600 and didn't get any discount for Memorial Day. I wondered if they would just let the larger screens sell out at the higher price.

E: vvvvvv

Aw, that's too bad. Spending this kinda money feels irresponsible, I thought if I waited til a big sale I'd feel like I was making a better decision hahah

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 3, 2022

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Phenotype posted:

I've already got blackout curtains for the window across from the TV, but I have pull-down rolls to cover the sliding glass door, and the room still gets really bright in the afternoon. Might put some drapes in I guess?

So I guess don't wait til Black Friday on the C1? The 65" has been on sale, but the 77" has been firm at 2600 and didn't get any discount for Memorial Day. I wondered if they would just let the larger screens sell out at the higher price.

There won't be any C1s by Black Friday. They're gonna be clearing them out now to make way for the C2.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

From a point source reflection perspective, you have a tradeoff. Matte to semigloss you reduce the overall intensity with the trade-off of diffusing the reflection over a larger area. Glossy finishes reduce the size of the reflections l, but don't mute the intensity as much.

Most of the top end TVs have similar reflection handling. The C1 and the top Samsung QLED get almost the same scores there and fare better than the 2017 Vizio E series.

Vizio
Screen Finish Semi-gloss

Total Reflections  5.0%

Indirect Reflections 0.5%

LG C1

Screen Finish  Glossy

Total Reflections  1.4%

Indirect Reflections 0.2%

Calculated Direct Reflections  1.2%

Samsung QN90B

Screen Finish Glossy

Total Reflections 1.7%

Indirect Reflections 1.0%

Calculated Direct Reflections  0.8%

There are some other nuances, the Samsung coating tends to produce some rainbowing that the LG lacks.

None of these coatings are going to completely eliminate bright reflections sources though, so keep that in mind. It's better, but still noticable.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe this will help. The room is pretty dim but I left the door open and you can see the window behind me with indirect sun reflected in the screen.

Here's a pretty dark scene with all the lights on

Edit: here are some more. Obviously this is worst case for my room and I'm not actually watching like this but it's not unreasonably bright for a room where you're doing things other than TV

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 3, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, that window is about as good as you are going to do on a TV unfortunately. Not really sure what's out there that would handle that reflection better.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The HDR looks great with all the lights off and the door closed though. The room isn't that dark - I still have the blinds open.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

From a point source reflection perspective, you have a tradeoff. Matte to semigloss you reduce the overall intensity with the trade-off of diffusing the reflection over a larger area. Glossy finishes reduce the size of the reflections l, but don't mute the intensity as much.

Most of the top end TVs have similar reflection handling. The C1 and the top Samsung QLED get almost the same scores there and fare better than the 2017 Vizio E series.

Vizio
Screen Finish Semi-gloss

Total Reflections  5.0%

Indirect Reflections 0.5%

LG C1

Screen Finish  Glossy

Total Reflections  1.4%

Indirect Reflections 0.2%

Calculated Direct Reflections  1.2%

Samsung QN90B

Screen Finish Glossy

Total Reflections 1.7%

Indirect Reflections 1.0%

Calculated Direct Reflections  0.8%

There are some other nuances, the Samsung coating tends to produce some rainbowing that the LG lacks.

None of these coatings are going to completely eliminate bright reflections sources though, so keep that in mind. It's better, but still noticable.

Oh this is insanely helpful, thank you! I had no idea there were quantitative performance measurements. Knowing that really helps put the marketing verbage into context vs what I've already got.

Seems like I might get the best bang for the buck upgrading my light sources and furniture placement first, then look at a general upgrade in TVs after that. Thanks again!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rtings also has pictures of the reflections of all the TVs they test too.

One other thing to keep in mind. Since OLEDs don't have a dramatic shift in picture quality off axis, you do get a little more leeway in TV positioning without affecting image quality (especially on an articulating mount) that may help positioning point light sources off screen without having to change anything about the environment.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 3, 2022

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
What'[s a good source for known good HDMI cables? I've been having some bad luck and determined two of my cables are bad and since I'm installing through a wall conduit, I don't want to gently caress with them anymore and am willing to pay a little more to get guaranteed good ones.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I have some from Cable Matters on Amazon. They’re 2.1 and I haven’t had any issues.

E: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081NXV3ZR/

Eyud fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 4, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If you need a long cable this Ruipro one works for me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I bought these and they seem quite nice

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S1CGQ9Z?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Might be hard to pull through conduit though

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Eyud posted:

I have some from Cable Matters on Amazon. They’re 2.1 and I haven’t had any issues.

E: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081NXV3ZR/

Same, the color coded ones are great for running through walls and knowing which plug goes to which input.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
Speaking of cables, on my Apple TV input I occasionally have issues with my LG E6 OLED will have pinkish snow flash on the screen and the audio cuts out. Apple TV runs at 4k HDR and 4:2:2 chroma. I used these 25 feet HDMI cables in my wall. I believed at the time that they were HDMI 2.1. I'm assuming these cables are the problem?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Boner Wad posted:

Speaking of cables, on my Apple TV input I occasionally have issues with my LG E6 OLED will have pinkish snow flash on the screen and the audio cuts out. Apple TV runs at 4k HDR and 4:2:2 chroma. I used these 25 feet HDMI cables in my wall. I believed at the time that they were HDMI 2.1. I'm assuming these cables are the problem?

HDMI 2.1 is only good to 3m/9.8ft — after that you get signal degradation. You’d need active cables or a repeater or something to get 25ft with no loss.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Also, while you can buy cables that both claim 18gbps and 8k60 or 4k120 support, it isn't true. 18gbps is 2.0 spec, incompatible with the aforementioned resolution/refresh combos. Bandwidth isn't your issue though

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I'm seeing there's a new firmware 2001.3 available for Samsung QN90A but my TV isn't seeing it automatically, if I'm not having issues should I just wait? Can't find a changelog anywhere.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 65S535 (QLED) $550 shipped from Amazon.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I bought a 65” A1 OLED. It’s good! Especially at $1100 through Costco.

No, it isn’t eye searingly bright but it is plenty bright for our room and the viewing angles are incredible.

Unless you really need the extra brightness and gaming features of the C1, this feels like a steal compared to anything else at the price point.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shouldn't an OLED have perfectly dark blacks? I'm noticing (even in completely black screens) a tiny bit of light and it's surprising.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KillHour posted:

Shouldn't an OLED have perfectly dark blacks? I'm noticing (even in completely black screens) a tiny bit of light and it's surprising.
That depends on how things were mastered, because I notice a few films that don't go True Black for some reason.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is like on loading screens or when something is rebooting so I'm pretty sure it's the TV.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

KillHour posted:

As said, it depends on the source material. A bunch of games for some reason have their default as a little gray. I don’t know why and it pisses me off. However, the 4K Blu-ray’s I’ve put into it are always perfectly dark.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I bought the C1 and have been blown away, but yeah there have been a few times where I'm tweaking the brightness setting by a hair to get true black with certain content. The 4K disc of 2001 A Space Odyssey is beautiful, but is just a teensy bit too bright. It looks perfect at 47 brightness or so. The Blue Danube scene with the Space station against the Stars, or really anything else like that is an easy way to tell. Space should be pure black. Leave OLED Pixel brightness at 100 for HDR.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

I'm seeing there's a new firmware 2001.3 available for Samsung QN90A but my TV isn't seeing it automatically, if I'm not having issues should I just wait? Can't find a changelog anywhere.

Never mind, TV updated itself this morning.

So this is a strange question but I'm hoping someone here can help - my soundbar is mounted hanging under my TV and sort of sags down so it's not pointed directly at me but partially at the floor. Not going to change the mounting mechanism as that would involve removing the TV from the wall. I just want a little adjustable stand/pole thing to put on the ground to help support it a bit and make it level, like a floor jack but those would be way overkill. Not really a TV question specifically but I hope someone here knows of some option. It's about 26" off the ground.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sounds like you need a monopod with convertible tripod feet.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Snagged a 65" LG G1 yesterday at Best Buy for $1,200.00. Delivery is later in the week, but I'm excited.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

papa horny michael posted:

Snagged a 65" LG G1 yesterday at Best Buy for $1,200.00. Delivery is later in the week, but I'm excited.

hope they don't drop it like they did mine.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Nice, thanks!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Speaking of mounting/stands, does anyone have any experience with using non-wall mounts? I've noticed that there are a few that give you a nice central base and I was wondering if it would be worth it since my new TV has V-feet on either end which are kind of more annoying. They're not really expensive but I don't know if any are decent quality or if they add a lot of bulk.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KillHour posted:

If the content is actual black (#000000 in RGB) there should be no light whatsoever.

Here's one of LG's demo videos, play this in a darkened room and you should not see a grey rectangle, the edges of the screen should only be visible when the content runs right up to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njX2bu-_Vw4

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It looks great but it's just ever so barely possible to see the background in dark scenes if I go right up to the TV and try to block out the light. It's really only ever noticeable in completely black screens, but it's definitely there. Maybe a calibration thing?

Edit: it was the calibration. The white balance offset was juuuust above the default 512 so pure black was barely not black. I booted the TV into service mode and fixed it with the help of the test images

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 9, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ror posted:

Speaking of mounting/stands, does anyone have any experience with using non-wall mounts?
I bought one for my parents since the dumb V feet wouldn't sit on their dumb TV furniture.

Arrived from Amazon in about 2 days, took 10 minutes to set up. The base was decently heavy, overall quality was decent glass and metal. The TV was a super cheap TCL Roku that, at 52", I would carry one-handed with no problem. Dunno if I would trust it with anything super heavy, would probably pay a premium for something more hefty.

Had a decently generous VESA setup, and the overall quality of the mounting part was similar to just about any rail-based wall mount.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
https://www.costco.com/lg-65%22-cla....100761679.html

I've been eyeballing a 65" LG C1 for a while now and heavily contemplating it every time I visit my local store. But now I'm at a crossroads.

Online and in stores it's $1599 but says the price expires 7/4/2022. Knowing that the C1 is a discontinued product from LG and stores are trying to clear existing stock, do I get it now or see if the price goes down for some 4th of July sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Does anyone have any experience with the 42" LG C2? I want it so bad. I have a 40" TCL 3-Series right now that is decent enough for regular gaming and TV watching but I'm looking to finally move up into the world of 4K. The C2 is undoubtedly the king of TVs, especially in that size range, but I've also looked at the significantly cheaper Sony X85J/X85K. 43" is really the maximum I'd consider as any more than that won't fit in my current setup. I really want that native 120HZ so I've more or less ruled out the cheaper LG/Sony offerings

120Hz isn't a mega dealbreaker and I could definitely live with 60Hz if there's a much more cost efficient and good looking option out there. But I got this TCL for almost free and haven't bought a TV on my own since I bought a 27" Westinghouse 720p panel like 13 years ago so I'm a little rusty