Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Good on countries like Belgium and The Netherlands for not allowing that poo poo with Diablo Immortal. Hope more countries follow suit. Regulation is the only way to control this because there is a segment of game players who either have no problem with it or are the ones that are hopelessly hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

priznat posted:

Good on countries like Belgium and The Netherlands for not allowing that poo poo with Diablo Immortal. Hope more countries follow suit. Regulation is the only way to control this because there is a segment of game players who either have no problem with it or are the ones that are hopelessly hooked.

you don't understand, capitalism will regulate itself

oh oops nevermind

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
It's also worth mentioning that studies have shown that these pay-to-win games and gacha games and other mobile microtransaction stuff make 99% of their money from whales with horrible gambling addictions who are destroying their lives to pad the company's profit margins. They aren't profiting from people paying five dollars here and five dollars there, those users are basically a rounding error. The whole industry is specifically designed to find mentally unwell people and utterly ruin them, for profit. It's pure evil

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CountryMatters posted:

It's also worth mentioning that studies have shown that these pay-to-win games and gacha games and other mobile microtransaction stuff make 99% of their money from whales with horrible gambling addictions who are destroying their lives to pad the company's profit margins. They aren't profiting from people paying five dollars here and five dollars there, those users are basically a rounding error. The whole industry is specifically designed to find mentally unwell people and utterly ruin them, for profit. It's pure evil

i mean when you put it that way it's shocking that they haven't swerved to crypto sooner

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CountryMatters posted:

There was an article I read or a video or something a long time ago - like, way early in this mobile gacha poo poo - written by someone who had worked for one. It has an anecdote that always stuck with me. This guy was in charge of community outreach for this game. I think it was an actual F2P computer game, not even mobile. Anyways they had this big convention or something and he got the job of inviting the whales to come out. These are the top spenders, the people who they're doing poo poo like putting together custom purchase packs for etc. White glove whale poo poo like you're playing pai gow in the high roller's suite in Macao.

The Con is in the US and the company offers to fly these people out. One of them, in Europe, agrees to then back out last minute. When they asked why it was because she had just spent down the last of her paycheck and couldn't afford the like 60 euros or whatever for a train from her town to the city with the airport. Whaled away the money she was going to spend on a train ticket to her free airplane trip to another continent to hang out with people into that game - ON THE GAME.

In other words, it's preying on addicts in the most disgusting ways.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1534933962182873093

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

VeChain: the crypto you need a TBI to invest in.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

i mean when you put it that way it's shocking that they haven't swerved to crypto sooner

You can't cash it out to real money quick enough, this is the main factor.
You have stockholders to pay, and execs to siphon the rest of the money, and neither wants a currency that fluctuates depending on the wind and Elon's drug fuelled tweets.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Cyrano4747 posted:

There was an article I read or a video or something a long time ago - like, way early in this mobile gacha poo poo - written by someone who had worked for one. It has an anecdote that always stuck with me. This guy was in charge of community outreach for this game. I think it was an actual F2P computer game, not even mobile. Anyways they had this big convention or something and he got the job of inviting the whales to come out. These are the top spenders, the people who they're doing poo poo like putting together custom purchase packs for etc. White glove whale poo poo like you're playing pai gow in the high roller's suite in Macao.

The Con is in the US and the company offers to fly these people out. One of them, in Europe, agrees to then back out last minute. When they asked why it was because she had just spent down the last of her paycheck and couldn't afford the like 60 euros or whatever for a train from her town to the city with the airport. Whaled away the money she was going to spend on a train ticket to her free airplane trip to another continent to hang out with people into that game - ON THE GAME.

In other words, it's preying on addicts in the most disgusting ways.

Long shot, but do you remember which article this is? It sounds really interesting since a lot of the articles I read are either about the players/victims themselves or theoretical discussion of "is this ethical or not".

Meanwhile, the flipside of your article is this presentation on "How to Addict People to Pixels on a Phone": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNjI03CGkb4 It's funny, as fast as Bitcoin speedruns scam history it's still behind the state of the art.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I would like an artist to model my trucksona in 3D (see above), for free of course because they'll get so much exposure, and then I want to use it in every game that's ever been made or will be made, and I want to make millions of dollars by doing it. If you can't understand that then I pity you and your simple baby mind.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Good Dumplings posted:

Long shot, but do you remember which article this is? It sounds really interesting since a lot of the articles I read are either about the players/victims themselves or theoretical discussion of "is this ethical or not".

Meanwhile, the flipside of your article is this presentation on "How to Addict People to Pixels on a Phone": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNjI03CGkb4 It's funny, as fast as Bitcoin speedruns scam history it's still behind the state of the art.

this video is great LOL

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Good Dumplings posted:

If I did I would have dropped it. I've got a tickling at the back of my head that it might have been older Jim Sterling material, he might have cited someone who told that story. That's where I'd start.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

LifeSunDeath posted:

literally all of them. every single one. not one was just a guy online who reverse engineered then hacked all the apes in 24hours and had everything set up already to hide the money instantly. It was planned, they just think there's never going to be liability so they keep saying it was a hack.

Um, no. All this poo poo is built on hastily assembled garbage software with no quality control and half-assed "audits," with all the vulnerabilities lying in plain sight by design and no means to reverse transactions. It's an extremely juicy target and there are definitely actual hacks mixed in with the inside jobs. Also, the phishing scams because crypto bros' hostility to skepticism creates a community of extremely credulous marks that are easily scammed, made all the easier by the impossibility of reversing transactions and the lovely UI written by the lovely companies looking to cash in before the whole rotten thing falls apart.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

HappyHippo posted:

Um, no. All this poo poo is built on hastily assembled garbage software with no quality control and half-assed "audits," with all the vulnerabilities lying in plain sight by design and no means to reverse transactions.

That's an interesting point - the fully transparent nature of blockchain means the code is available for anyone to look at and essentially all of crypto is fully exposed cybersec attack surface.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Regarding the new nickelodeon tokens, announced today:

Where are Corporate NFTs crafted? If someone had legislative access in Burbank, could they stop nickelodeon from making NFTs on the basis of power draw?

My theory is these are all made in minted in Guatemala or somewhere in the desert where a typo makes energy two cents a kilowatt.

I’m trying to help a politico find a legal basis to ban NFTs in their community.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 9, 2022

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

LifeSunDeath posted:

literally all of them. every single one. not one was just a guy online who reverse engineered then hacked all the apes in 24hours and had everything set up already to hide the money instantly. It was planned, they just think there's never going to be liability so they keep saying it was a hack.

hey hey hey !! Axie's "$600b" in ether does indeed appear to have been stolen by North Korea

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Even if someone came up with a clever standardised solution where models and textures could be reliably auto converted from engine to engine, model to model, and artstyle to artstyle

lol

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Gonna make some fortnite dance nfts and do some orange justice in Lego star wars.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

lmao

https://mobile.twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1534956633251532801

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Ubisoft trying and failing with their NFT Quartz project will hopefully serve as all the evidence that other game companies need to not waste time with NFTs. A large AAA game developer and publisher potentially could have been able to set up some sort of NFT marketplace for their own IPs at least. They still couldn't figure out how to make it attractive to players, and it of course doesn't make any sense as an investment when considering the development costs, upkeep, liability, or whatever else. I expect some other big brain exec to try to make this poo poo work though.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Putting NFTs in there at all doesn’t make any sense though when valve already has people buying and selling in game items between eachother on a market valve controls and profits off of. All without crypto anything.

It’s just so dumb.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh I'm sure he's going to suffer very real and meaningful consequences. :rolleyes:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
wake up screaming and grasping for my apes every morning. i cannot take them into my arms - but they are safe. would never sell

my portfolio is the envy of my online brethren. yet normies spit in my face and glass me in bars

when the stitches come out i hold court in korean joints and in line at the PO. i'm so goddamn loud while i list my holdings

8 months from now, a free airdrop. legit

9 months from now i'll sneak into a seafood factory and jump into an industrial fish grinder: 60hp, high torque, dual shaft design

even the largest sheepshead fish are no match. i become pink soft serve

my last thought... november 2021... btc 60k

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lmao I appreciate your crypto “slice of life” posts Bruno :haw:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Gutcruncher posted:

Putting NFTs in there at all doesn’t make any sense though when valve already has people buying and selling in game items between eachother on a market valve controls and profits off of. All without crypto anything.

It’s just so dumb.

Exactly. You don't need any of this.

Automation and BeamNG Drive spent months building a fascinating cross compatibility system to allow the cars you make in one to be driven in the other. It's free and only requires a little bit of technical knowledge. Sales of both games jumped as a result.

Chain poo poo would have made that system slow, expensive, and exclusive.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I could not convince a finance guy that NFT's don't add utility/have any value, specifically re: NFT's for videogames. He conflated that because people will spend money on NFT's they add utility and have value, and it was conflated to house ownership / stock ownership as equivalent. Crypto maximalists are loving terrible.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 10, 2022

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

wake up screaming and grasping for my apes every morning. i cannot take them into my arms - but they are safe. would never sell

my portfolio is the envy of my online brethren. yet normies spit in my face and glass me in bars

when the stitches come out i hold court in korean joints and in line at the PO. i'm so goddamn loud while i list my holdings

8 months from now, a free airdrop. legit

9 months from now i'll sneak into a seafood factory and jump into an industrial fish grinder: 60hp, high torque, dual shaft design

even the largest sheepshead fish are no match. i become pink soft serve

my last thought... november 2021... btc 60k

:golfclap:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I got the AI's to make me some hella cool weird Magic Card type poo poo to make a custom sort of game for my nerd rear end brother who is into that, and was like, what if I make one an NFT as a joke gift, and what the gently caress are with the prices. gently caress this. He can just have some cool weird cards we can play with but not have fake ownership of them.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

The Butcher posted:

I got the AI's to make me some hella cool weird Magic Card type poo poo to make a custom sort of game for my nerd rear end brother who is into that, and was like, what if I make one an NFT as a joke gift, and what the gently caress are with the prices. gently caress this. He can just have some cool weird cards we can play with but not have fake ownership of them.

There's a bunch of places online that will do on-demand playing card printing, maybe even in Magic's size and border radius. That would be really cool gift.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

There's a bunch of places online that will do on-demand playing card printing, maybe even in Magic's size and border radius. That would be really cool gift.

Ok but how would this work on the blockchain?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

for a second i read this as "took out $80 million per month" and nearly start shooting blood from my eyes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I get where these rug pullers are coming from. Is it really stealing if the people who you took money from are insanely greedy creeps?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

for a second i read this as "took out $80 million per month" and nearly start shooting blood from my eyes

You did. From the article:

The United States Securities and Exchange Commission reportedly discovered a situation where $80 million dollars (100 billion won) of the company’s funds every month were sent to different wallets for the operating expense. This reportedly happened a few months before the collapse of Terra. This particular activity, according to the reports, is what raised money laundering suspicions about Do Kwon.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/KLobstar/status/1534641595722629123

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

"How does it work?" *points at dick*

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
AESTHETIC

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Jadeilyn posted:

Ubisoft trying and failing with their NFT Quartz project will hopefully serve as all the evidence that other game companies need to not waste time with NFTs. A large AAA game developer and publisher potentially could have been able to set up some sort of NFT marketplace for their own IPs at least. They still couldn't figure out how to make it attractive to players, and it of course doesn't make any sense as an investment when considering the development costs, upkeep, liability, or whatever else. I expect some other big brain exec to try to make this poo poo work though.

a big terrible publisher like ubi is in fact the best case scenario for gaming nfts to actually work, because that big publisher actually DOES have the ability to make sure the gamedev makes it possible for you to use your crying sephiroth nft in all the upcoming ubisoft video games.

that even they couldn't turn it into a successful business model (because of course they couldnt) pretty much dooms the idea of anyone else being able to

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

HappyHippo posted:

Um, no. All this poo poo is built on hastily assembled garbage software with no quality control and half-assed "audits," with all the vulnerabilities lying in plain sight by design and no means to reverse transactions. It's an extremely juicy target and there are definitely actual hacks mixed in with the inside jobs. Also, the phishing scams because crypto bros' hostility to skepticism creates a community of extremely credulous marks that are easily scammed, made all the easier by the impossibility of reversing transactions and the lovely UI written by the lovely companies looking to cash in before the whole rotten thing falls apart.

On this note the latest Darknet Diaries episode was on a guy who stole a shitload of crypto via SIM swapping and resetting passwords, worth a listen.

https://darknetdiaries.com/episode/118/

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ad by Khad posted:

a big terrible publisher like ubi is in fact the best case scenario for gaming nfts to actually work, because that big publisher actually DOES have the ability to make sure the gamedev makes it possible for you to use your crying sephiroth nft in all the upcoming ubisoft video games.

that even they couldn't turn it into a successful business model (because of course they couldnt) pretty much dooms the idea of anyone else being able to

Certainly looking forward to pulling out my Division Kill Drone and Far Cry RPG in Assassins Creed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

smellmycheese posted:

Certainly looking forward to pulling out my Division Kill Drone and Far Cry RPG in Assassins Creed.

Looking forward to meeting the definitely not antisemitically designed NFT merchant who I have to talk to to complete three separate quests and who keeps trying to convince me to buy ScripCoin as my GPU inexplicably overheats