Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I love the poo poo out of my PSAS4’s, they feel very good and confidence-inspiring, but they aren’t full summers. I run them on my sporty daily with winter tires during winter and couldn’t be happier.

The fun cars tho? Summer tires all the way* :-)

*i had all seasons on the MR2, worked great as a fuse for the transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
3rd gen automated manual? Or are there other weak transmissions?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

3rd gen automated manual? Or are there other weak transmissions?

2nd gen NA transmission (S54 is the code I think).

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
This is probably a stupid rear end question, but here it is.

One of my tires went flat, and I put on the spare. It's a small donut, not a full size. My normal tire shop is closed because of the holiday, and I went to a couple of others that were slammed with a 3+ hour wait. I decided I didn't want to spend the entire day dealing with this, so I just went home. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I have to work, though, and if I get this thing fixed in the morning, I'll miss half the work day. Which honestly isn't a big deal, but I'd rather avoid it. I'm off Wednesday.

I don't really want to drive to work on the donut, because it's a long drive and I don't trust the donut at all. I have a good tire on a full sized wheel sitting in my garage, but it's a different size than my others. It's a fair bit bigger than my others (but then, the donut is a fair bit smaller). Would it make any sense to temporarily put the incorrectly sized wheel on the car in place of the donut? The car's regular tires are 215/55 R16. The other wheel that I have is 235/45 ZR 17.

My commute to work is 16 miles each way, and the donut has never been used before. Would it be a significant risk to drive it to work and back once at 30-40 mph?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

This is probably a stupid rear end question, but here it is.

One of my tires went flat, and I put on the spare. It's a small donut, not a full size. My normal tire shop is closed because of the holiday, and I went to a couple of others that were slammed with a 3+ hour wait. I decided I didn't want to spend the entire day dealing with this, so I just went home. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I have to work, though, and if I get this thing fixed in the morning, I'll miss half the work day. Which honestly isn't a big deal, but I'd rather avoid it. I'm off Wednesday.

I don't really want to drive to work on the donut, because it's a long drive and I don't trust the donut at all. I have a good tire on a full sized wheel sitting in my garage, but it's a different size than my others. It's a fair bit bigger than my others (but then, the donut is a fair bit smaller). Would it make any sense to temporarily put the incorrectly sized wheel on the car in place of the donut? The car's regular tires are 215/55 R16. The other wheel that I have is 235/45 ZR 17.

My commute to work is 16 miles each way, and the donut has never been used before. Would it be a significant risk to drive it to work and back once at 30-40 mph?

Leaving this part in but i did the math and it's not true in your case.

It will depend on the car and where. If you have AWD then don't. Full stop. If it's 2wd you'll probably be fine on a non drive wheel. So in the back on fwd car and in the front on a rwd car is fine.

Ok in your case.

So I put your dimensions into a calculator and you have identical tire diameters. You could use it even on the drive wheels. Youll basically still have a spare but it will be more grippy instead of a donut.

The usual problem is when the diameters are different. Having one wheel going at a different rpm vs the other wheels will burn up differentials and freak out abs and traction control.

For a day or two the diameter difference caused by tire wear will not be an issue. BUT IF YOU HAVE A SUBARU OR OTHER TRUE AWD CAR REPLACE ALL 4 TIRES.

Over thousands of miles it will force all the diffs to slip constantly even when driving straight.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

What year make model?

And is the spare wheel a second set for that car? Like summer / winter wheels and tires?

Also do both wheels use the same lug nut style?

If it's not a wheel for that car there may be clearance issues.

Not a dumb question at all. There are plenty of ways it could go wrong.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

honda whisperer posted:

What year make model?

And is the spare wheel a second set for that car? Like summer / winter wheels and tires?

Also do both wheels use the same lug nut style?

If it's not a wheel for that car there may be clearance issues.

Not a dumb question at all. There are plenty of ways it could go wrong.

It's a 2016 Honda Civic EX. The spare wheel was from a 2007 Acura TL that I no longer have. I think they both have the same lug nut style. I measured it and it looks to be the same configuration. But yeah, I was worried about clearance because the spare is noticeably larger (actually, this could just be in my head, I should check them side by side). Ultimately, I think I'm just going to drop it at the tire shop in the morning and not risk it, although I guess it would be nice to know if that extra would work as a better spare than the donut.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 30, 2022

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

OK honda to honda should be good on lug nuts. It's usually an issue putting like Mitsubishi wheels on a civic.

The Acura one is wider, and a larger diameter wheel but the tire diameter is the same.

First number is the tire width in mm. Second is a ratio that converts the tire width into the height of the sidewall. Third is wheel diameter.

Comparing the two you wind up with the same total diameter of tire. If the wheel physically fits on the studs and doesn't rub the suspension or body you should be good to go. (Again honda to honda of similar year should be ok) Pop it on and if it spins freely on the jack test drive it. If it makes a bad noise or smells like burning rubber take it off.

I wouldn't run 1 odd wheel forever but a couple days or even a week would be fine. If it doenst rub anywhere the only weird thing would be the car will handle funny near the limit of traction.

If you have 2 or all 4 wheels off the tl you could swap them all on, or a pair on the front or back. This would be more balanced but for low speed commuting when you know to be vigilant about the odd tire probably not necessary.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thanks a lot for the information! I only have the one wheel - I recently sold the Acura to Carmax and figured they weren't going to give me any extra for the spare, so I kept it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

No problem. Good luck with the tire shop fun times.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Late to the party, but if your donut is already on the non-drive axle I'd just roll with it, especially for that short distance and assuming you don't have any really awful weather. They say 50 miles @ 50mph, but I've definitely had people (and myself in an emergency) roll on the donut for at least a week. My worst was my SIL getting a flat tire...in South Dakota, on a Sunday. We ended up tossing on the donut for the last ~150 miles to home, which I drove at 60-65mph. Ended up putting 4 new tires on for her a day or two after we got back.

As mentioned before, AWD and inclement weather will change these considerations, but generally the spare tire is perfectly fine to drive on for a couple days if you can't get into the shop right away. If it's something that really worries you for the future, generally junkyard wheels can be had cheap, and have your tire shop of choice toss one of your old tires on as a spare whenever you get new tires. That's also something a lot of pickup guys will do, if they happen to have a full-size/matching-size spare wheel. Better to have a 5 year old but mostly worn out tire than a 15-20 year old new but rotten tire hanging under the bed.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
So its now summer time and my 2018 cummins ram needs its annual $1200 set of tires. 23k out of the stock Firestone ATs, a set of bfg KO2 old man off road tires lasted 28k, and the current michelin agilis cross climates lasted 30k but eventually the gravel did them in. They aren’t quite to the wear bars but they did not handle hauling gravel up out of the quarry when new at all. I could probably have squeezed 40k out of them had it not been for the big missing chunks of tread. Fuel economy was better than the K02s but not as good as stocks. The KO2s chunked pretty bad too on gravel duty.

I don’t know what it is about this truck but its hard on tires. None of them had any mileage warranty, of course. Although they offer them now on the same tire.

I ordered a set of firestone destination XTs with a 50k pro rated warranty but if anyone here knows of ANY tire that will actually last on this truck I would love to hear it. Must have the 3pmsf snow cert because the county doesn’t plow if it snows.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Any suggestion for new tires for my ridgeline? I'm in the northeast and want something that can do snow/mild off road duty, but my current (and beyond shot) BFG Trail Terrain's are way, way too loud. I was thinking either Michelin Cross Climates, or Vredistien Pinza AT's - both are supposed to have good off road capabilities and are snow rated. Basically just need all terrain-ish quiet tires.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Voltage posted:

Any suggestion for new tires for my ridgeline? I'm in the northeast and want something that can do snow/mild off road duty, but my current (and beyond shot) BFG Trail Terrain's are way, way too loud. I was thinking either Michelin Cross Climates, or Vredistien Pinza AT's - both are supposed to have good off road capabilities and are snow rated. Basically just need all terrain-ish quiet tires.

Some years ago I had very good luck with the Hankook Dynapro AT2 on my ‘02 F-150 when I had to replace some clapped-out whatevers that were on it. They seemed reasonably priced and gave nice leves of grip without a ton of noise, plus they have the snowflake rating.

I imagine based on their tread pattern that if they start feathering, they will get loud, so a good idea to keep it aligned and the tires rotated.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I'm hoping for some similar advice for a 2011 Q5 that I'll be picking up soon (whenever my friend's Mach-E arrives).

The primary purpose of this thing will be to get us safely to Mt Hood on a weekly basis, with secondary concerns being light offroading/beach driving and a little bit of towing - it has a 4400lb towing capacity. Considering winter performance is super critical and it's not a primary vehicle, I'm debating a set of studded snows and a separate set of all-terrains or something, but I'm open to suggestions that will do it all. Performance in icy, hilly conditions is very important, but not having yet another vehicle with two sets of wheels/tires is also super appealing.

I think current tire size is 235/60R18 and if I get a second set of wheels I'd get 17's, which call for a tire size of 235/65R17.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Been happy so far with the CrossClimate 2s on my CX-5. Has handled several ski days on kinda gnarly and icy roads, and otherwise they drive like a high quality all season. Haven't tested them in truly hot temps, but they have been fine in the 70s-80s which would turn a real winter tire into mush.

Tire noise is not an issue and they ride well. I might have taken a small efficiency hit versus the factory Toyos that were probably optimized for efficiency over all else, but I haven't scienced it out to prove it. Regardless it has been worth it, the factory tires were meh.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 9, 2022

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Voltage posted:

I liked the cross climates on the ex wifes crosstrek. They have excellent traction in the snow, handled farm roads fine and didn’t chunk like the agilis ones did on the truck.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I really like my CrossClimate 2s for Seattle type winters but I'd be anxious about Mt Hood / ice. I have FWD though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don’t think studs are worth it. If it gets that bad you can always chain up over your snow tires and then you don’t have to deal with lovely studded tires for the vast majority of your not-snowy drive to Mt Hood. (I’m assuming you’re in like, the portland area).

I would probably run a more serious snow tire than the cross climate since you say winter performance is The One Criterion but I’ve always had two sets of wheels/tires on everything I own.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

rdb posted:

So its now summer time and my 2018 cummins ram needs its annual $1200 set of tires. 23k out of the stock Firestone ATs, a set of bfg KO2 old man off road tires lasted 28k, and the current michelin agilis cross climates lasted 30k but eventually the gravel did them in. They aren’t quite to the wear bars but they did not handle hauling gravel up out of the quarry when new at all. I could probably have squeezed 40k out of them had it not been for the big missing chunks of tread. Fuel economy was better than the K02s but not as good as stocks. The KO2s chunked pretty bad too on gravel duty.

I don’t know what it is about this truck but its hard on tires. None of them had any mileage warranty, of course. Although they offer them now on the same tire.

I ordered a set of firestone destination XTs with a 50k pro rated warranty but if anyone here knows of ANY tire that will actually last on this truck I would love to hear it. Must have the 3pmsf snow cert because the county doesn’t plow if it snows.

My brother has has pretty good luck with duratracs on his 2016 CC LB SRW with most of the miles towing a gooseneck. It still eats them but they seem to do right around 40-45k.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don’t think studs are worth it. If it gets that bad you can always chain up over your snow tires and then you don’t have to deal with lovely studded tires for the vast majority of your not-snowy drive to Mt Hood. (I’m assuming you’re in like, the portland area).

I would probably run a more serious snow tire than the cross climate since you say winter performance is The One Criterion but I’ve always had two sets of wheels/tires on everything I own.

I loving hate chains but that is a good point about studs. My suspicion is that it’ll be not super annoying since it’s a somewhat modern Audi with lots of sound deadening. You’re 100% correct, I’m in Portland :-)

I’ve had no real issues (other than ground clearance once in the parking lot) taking my Elantra GT Sport on X-ice3’s, it just seems like since we’ll have a dedicated car for this winter stuff going full-send on tire choice makes sense.

Knowing me, I’ll probably put snows on the factory 18’s and will end up getting a second set of wheels after next winter when I want to tow something but not with snow tires.

Thanks for the advice and thoughts everyone!

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

rifles posted:

My brother has has pretty good luck with duratracs on his 2016 CC LB SRW with most of the miles towing a gooseneck. It still eats them but they seem to do right around 40-45k.

Thanks. The destination XTs are a direct competitor to those. I have about 1k on them so far and haven’t seen chunks missing. Traction on loose gravel seems way better than any tire I have tried but they are new. Notable loss in handling but its a truck so who cares. Noise isn’t bad either.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I may try the Destination XTs. I liked the old Transforce XT on my previous truck. The General Grabber ATx that I have now are going to be worn out after less than 15k. It's commercial-plated, so no warranty. To be honest, I may go back to Transforce just for the warranty. The truck doesn't get hard use, I rotate them regularly, and everything seems to wear out wicked fast.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I've got a 2016 Mazda3 which needs new tires and I'm having a heck of a time figuring out which ones to get and I'm automatically distrusting of any tire selector that's trying to sell me something, aka all of them.

I'm looking for all-seasons that'll handle Seattle (some rain, I don't drive in snow), long-lasting, ideally quieter than stock tires. i've got both costco and discount tire near me so basically anything they carry is fair game. 205/60 R16 tires, 16" wheels. Not really high wear use, I probably do less than 3000 miles a year.

honestly I just want to put some good tires on it and forget it aside from checking tire pressure until I replace them, so the closest to that would be ideal

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Michelin CrossClimate2s have done well for me even a bit in the January snow in that size. I'm not sure how treadwear and noise compare to others though.

Edit: but at 3,000 miles / year they'll be getting too old before you run out of tread.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 22, 2022

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, that's why I'm not super worried about tread life but I figured I'd throw it in as a concern. Those have come up for me in a couple searches so i'll make sure to put em on the list, thanks.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Psion posted:

I've got a 2016 Mazda3 which needs new tires and I'm having a heck of a time figuring out which ones to get and I'm automatically distrusting of any tire selector that's trying to sell me something, aka all of them.

I'm looking for all-seasons that'll handle Seattle (some rain, I don't drive in snow), long-lasting, ideally quieter than stock tires. i've got both costco and discount tire near me so basically anything they carry is fair game. 205/60 R16 tires, 16" wheels. Not really high wear use, I probably do less than 3000 miles a year.

honestly I just want to put some good tires on it and forget it aside from checking tire pressure until I replace them, so the closest to that would be ideal

Michelin CrossClimate2s have done well for me even a bit in the January snow in that size. I'm not sure how treadwear and noise compare to others though.

Edit: but at 3,000 miles / year they'll be getting too old before you run out of tread.

This is pretty much my exact use-case (and I do have to drive in snow sometimes), I got CrossClimate 2s in December after a monster pot hole shredded my OEM tires, and I have had zero regrets about them. Unless you care about maximizing something specific like dry performance, noise, cost, or are planning to swap on a dedicated snow tire (which in Seattle is like ??????? but some people drive into the mountains a lot), I think they're pretty much the ideal one tire solution for this area.

Mursh
Jul 8, 2006
Canadian Passport
I’m in the process of buying a new Camry hybrid and am looking at my winter tire options. I’m in Quebec and while I’m in a major city center we see a lot of snow and ice and I’ll frequently be taking shorter trips where the roads aren’t always well plowed. I’ve been browsing through and it looks like the WS 90s and X ice’s seem to be solid choices and I’ve run older versions of them. If snowy weather is my primary concern are they the best choice?

Also I’m trying to find a set of non steel rims but the Enkei brand I seen recommended earlier seems to be pretty expensive up here >$260 per rim. Any other cheaper options? Canadian tire seems to have CRW, Envy and RSSW but I don’t know a thing about aftermarket rims. Ideally I’d like to spend less than $200 per and if I can’t find a good brand I’ll honestly probably just get steel rims again.

Last question is downsizing wheel size still a thing (or was it ever)? On my previous vehicles I was always advised to go down a tire size and the Camry will be coming with 17 inch standard.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Mursh posted:

I’m in the process of buying a new Camry hybrid and am looking at my winter tire options. I’m in Quebec and while I’m in a major city center we see a lot of snow and ice and I’ll frequently be taking shorter trips where the roads aren’t always well plowed. I’ve been browsing through and it looks like the WS 90s and X ice’s seem to be solid choices and I’ve run older versions of them. If snowy weather is my primary concern are they the best choice?

Also I’m trying to find a set of non steel rims but the Enkei brand I seen recommended earlier seems to be pretty expensive up here >$260 per rim. Any other cheaper options? Canadian tire seems to have CRW, Envy and RSSW but I don’t know a thing about aftermarket rims. Ideally I’d like to spend less than $200 per and if I can’t find a good brand I’ll honestly probably just get steel rims again.

Last question is downsizing wheel size still a thing (or was it ever)? On my previous vehicles I was always advised to go down a tire size and the Camry will be coming with 17 inch standard.

Downsizing is still a thing, the idea is to go down an inch in wheel size and then up in tire size (higher profile) so that you end up with as close to the same overall diameter as the original wheel/tire, but with more sidewall for winter driving.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm always in favor of getting cheaper alloy wheels vs steels, they're lighter and easier to toss around. I bought some cheapo MSWs which have been fine.

Enkei makes nice wheels but for a Camry Hybrid they're overkill. You can also potentially find another set of OEM wheels from a camera.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
The previous two posts pretty much covered it. Check the pricing on 16" vs 17" tires, as well as availability. Some sizes are ridiculously priced, or hard to come by. You might find going with the 17s is more cost effective or easier to get, for example.

I've already been pushing customers to order winter tires, especially if they want Michelin or anything in a less common size. Most other brands seem to be getting better for availability, but Michelin still seems to be kind of a poo poo show. At least their US distribution.

Mursh
Jul 8, 2006
Canadian Passport
Ok thanks all noted. I’ll take a look around and see what’s out there and maybe look at getting them early too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Mursh posted:

If they'll fit and clear the brakes yes you can always go down.

On rim brand we're mostly going to lean heavily into how light the wheel is. This is not very important for a daily driver. Enkie hits a sweet spot of weight vs cost vs strength. Important on a track car but for your use any reputable brand that you like the style of will be fine.

As for snow tires I've run the same brands and one other I forget from a long time ago.

The one that I really noticed was the blizzak lm-32. It's "for sports cars". I got them for my BRZ and they're not marshmallows. Snow performance is great but when it's sunny and 40deg i don't feel like my cars a pontoon boat.

I don't know how much snow performance I gave up though. I've only used that tire on that car.

Mursh
Jul 8, 2006
Canadian Passport

honda whisperer posted:

If they'll fit and clear the brakes yes you can always go down.

On rim brand we're mostly going to lean heavily into how light the wheel is. This is not very important for a daily driver. Enkie hits a sweet spot of weight vs cost vs strength. Important on a track car but for your use any reputable brand that you like the style of will be fine.

As for snow tires I've run the same brands and one other I forget from a long time ago.

The one that I really noticed was the blizzak lm-32. It's "for sports cars". I got them for my BRZ and they're not marshmallows. Snow performance is great but when it's sunny and 40deg i don't feel like my cars a pontoon boat.

I don't know how much snow performance I gave up though. I've only used that tire on that car.

Thanks for confirming also. Are any of these brands reputable? I’m really out of the loop for aftermarket

Canadian tire brands:
CRX, Envy, RSSW

Canadawheels website:
RTX, fast wheels, Touren

Any other Canadian websites or brands if none of those?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The ultimate winter tire is supposed to be the Nokian Hakkepelita (spelling?) series of tire if you want to go way overboard hehe

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The ultimate winter tire is supposed to be the Nokian Hakkepelita (spelling?) series of tire if you want to go way overboard hehe

Ultimate snow performance, but if I remember correctly, they prioritize snow so much that they're inferior to several other tires on cleared roads in freezing weather.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I've been really happy with the Pirelli Ice Zeros on my wife's Crosstrek. Good balance of snow traction with dry cold traction. I've got the Continental Wintercontact SI, which I believe have been discontinued. My coworker ran the Pirelli Sottozero3 on his before switching to the Michelin Xi3, and he said he felt the Pirellis were better in the snow. Said they wore out pretty quick, but he was running them on a V8 Genesis RWD sedan.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is anyone familiar with GT Radial Champiro snow tires? I can't find too much in the way of reviews that doesn't look like ad copy, they're not super cheap so maybe they're decent but I don't really know tires, just Nokians and Blizzaks. I feel like I've heard the brand name but it's also possible that they just picked a name that sounds close to a reputable brand. I'm looking at a Civic with them on the car and if they're good I'd keep them if I bought the car but otherwise I'd budget for a set of Hakkas to replace them. I live where there's 6-8 months of winter so I don't gently caress around with snow tires.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

oh hey tire thread. It's been a few months, so trip report:

bought the CrossClimate2s, they're great. During the buy process I was talking tires with a family member and now they have a set on their car too. :v:

vs the OEM bridgestone ecopias, which isn't fair but it's what I got:
- quieter in the cabin (a little quieter on local roads, noticeable difference at highway speed)
- similar mileage
- much better feel on wet roads
- much better feel in corners regardless of road condition
- tread pattern looks way more badass

obviously that last one is the most important. Anyway, great tires. Would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My FiST came pre-lowered by the PO with a set of 17" Fifteen52 Tarmac so will running slightly smaller (16") wheels change the ride height tremendously? I already scrape on speed bumps. With my current situation (broke brained and technically homeless) I had originally planned on picking up a winter beater but a set of wheels and tires is far cheaper and easier to store. So I'm looking for a set of steelies or base model Fiesta wheels to throw some winter rubber on. Ride height will be addressed in the future should my brain heal.