Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

mattfl posted:

Holllllllllllly gently caress PGA just dropped the loving hammer on those guys

Welllll, they put the hammer on the table and said "Look, it's there!"

They didn't mention how long they're suspended for or if they're able to come back later if they resigned. I'm not a fan of this being Saudi run but so far it's a much better product than the PGA Tour has ever been able to produce. The Youtube feed is essentially all golf shots without much filler (no commercials, some background segments), a leaderboard that's easy to understand, way more cameras, way more microphones, no Nick Faldo, barely any "This happened a moment ago...", and most importantly it's easy to loving watch. You don't have to start the day on Peacock Premium, then jump to Golf Channel, then NBC for a few hours, all of which will require it to go off the air for 10-15 minutes, have several "In case you're just joining us this is what happened earlier" segments, be filled with commercials, and then we're stuck looking at Faldo fellate himself in the booth instead of watching actual golf being played.

Sure, it's been hectic so far as they've jumped around quite a bit and most of us have no idea who half these players are, but as the field fills out with more PGA Tour players and less random Zimbabwe tour guys it'll get even better.

Monahan is in trouble. That "hammer" is a children's toy. The fans don't care about the "history" of the tour stops outside a few and the majors. I don't give a gently caress about the Houston Open and I've lived here all my life. No one comes. We're the 4th largest city in the country and can't convince anyone inside the Top 10 to show up to the tournament here. The players don't care about the history, they care about money, and at this point the caddie of the player who wins this week is going to make more than the person who finishes 5th in the Canadian Open.

If more players jump over, and they will, the PGA Tour is going to be in dire straits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It's being bankrolled by some Saudi cultural investment fund, and I know house of Saud isn't running out of money any time soon but they aren't exactly on the hook for turning a profit right now. I think this has about a 0% chance of upending the PGA but it might be like all the failed football leagues or the ABA in terms of helping PGA see advantage of some of the changes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

If the money spigot stays open then I think the PGA is ultimately in trouble. It’s obvious most players don’t give a lick about legacy or whatever, they want to be paid and the PGA isn’t really capable of/willing to provide. LIV also has the freedom to make a way better golf consumer product - once they get a field that people are interested in. And that will 100% happen.

If the majors all come out like now and bar these players from participating maybe it makes a difference. Otherwise I think it’s full steam ahead for the foreseeable future.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Daric posted:

The Youtube feed is essentially all golf shots without much filler (no commercials, some background segments), a leaderboard that's easy to understand, way more cameras, way more microphones, no Nick Faldo, barely any "This happened a moment ago...", and most importantly it's easy to loving watch. You don't have to start the day on Peacock Premium, then jump to Golf Channel, then NBC for a few hours, all of which will require it to go off the air for 10-15 minutes, have several "In case you're just joining us this is what happened earlier" segments, be filled with commercials, and then we're stuck looking at Faldo fellate himself in the booth instead of watching actual golf being played.

Sitting in my office drinking coffee and having a good chortle over how true this is. I've started googling "where to watch ABC Tournament" on fridays to figure out which freaking streaming app to load in what order on what day.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Hulu Live has every PGA event ever with multiple options for featured groups/etc.

I'm watching this LIV thing. Camera work is terrible and the announcers are trying to pump this event up talking about camaraderie and the teamwork and etc.. They're waxing poetic about "fans not normally into golf" tuning into LIV. The golf kinda sucks too.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

It would be hard to overstate how bad this camera work is. if you told me people were doing this on their iphones I would believe you

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I just put it on to check it out, the score bug on the left is loving obnoxious.

Edit: 98k people are watching right now, it'll be interesting to see what those numbers look like going forward.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 9, 2022

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Lmao this Taylor Gooch cutaway... this is some janky poo poo

edit: Phil hits a shot, instead of following the ball they zoom in on his back. Did all the bag money mean they can't pay for a decent production?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

i am a moron posted:

Lmao this Taylor Gooch cutaway... this is some janky poo poo

edit: Phil hits a shot, instead of following the ball they zoom in on his back. Did all the bag money mean they can't pay for a decent production?

First they came for the pros, and the PGA did nothing.

Then they came for production experts and crew.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

i am a moron posted:

The golf kinda sucks too.

Hey, if you're getting paid millions just to show up, there's less incentive to put much effort into playing well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you're interested in watching, the stream is on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-exyLWw5pq8

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A few observations after watching 20 minutes of this:
-The score bug is a disaster
-Too much hyping up by everyone on the broadcast, especially Jerry Foltz, who don't really add anything
-I don't care about basically any of the players and this feels like an exhibition
-Zero commercials is great
-Lmao at having to "hire" extra scorers to handle scoring of all 48 players at once
-Shotgun start kills any semblance of the cohesive idea of a golf course. They may as well be playing 18 random holes from 18 different courses.

I love watching stuff on Youtube but I don't know how golf viewers at large feel. You also lose out on bars and restaurants that are set up for DirecTV, but it's hard to say how much this affects measured and actual viewership.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I like the broadcast though i play with the volume muted, just, people hittin golf balls.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

It would be ideal if they held tournaments on weekdays. I’d have a stream up with no commercials the whole time while working.

They may have a grander vision than that considering the billions they’re trying to throw at players though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've tried to Google for it and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to look up the full leaderboard???

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

dangling pointer posted:

It would be ideal if they held tournaments on weekdays. I’d have a stream up with no commercials the whole time while working.

They may have a grander vision than that considering the billions they’re trying to throw at players though.

The vision is that when your average rich golf fan thinks of Saudi Arabia they think of oh yeah that country where the flashy golf tournament got played not isn't that the place that bombed the gently caress outta Yemen and tortured and killed journalists anything else is gravy.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

You’d think with all the cash being thrown around they would’ve had an app as good as the masters app made.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
QUIT GONGING every 3 seconds like I'M GETTING an email. :argh:

...how did they drag Arlo White into this thing? How many Ted Lasso references have been dropped already?

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

QUIT GONGING every 3 seconds like I'M GETTING an email. :argh:

I hate you for pointing this out. I didn’t notice before.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I've tried to Google for it and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to look up the full leaderboard???

This is all I've found, only goes to T-5 and is being manually updated.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/golf/news/liv-golf-london-live-scores-results-leaderboard/u10jqp8on5rqsrxxllk1bvkx

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

LionYeti posted:

The vision is that when your average rich golf fan thinks of Saudi Arabia they think of oh yeah that country where the flashy golf tournament got played not isn't that the place that bombed the gently caress outta Yemen and tortured and killed journalists anything else is gravy.

That's the country that employs Phil Mickelson, not the country that funded 9/11!

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Is LIV going to drug test? Give me Phil, DJ, and Bryson juiced to the tits.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

One thought I had, let's say more players want to jump ship. Because of the shotgun start and 4 player teams, they can only support 4 more players for a total of 52, which means you'll be kicking people out who may subsequently have nowhere to play. You could push it to 2 groups per hole for 108 players though that would guarantee 6 hour rounds.

An interesting question is whether they would also double the purses. The way it is now, last place gets $125k so over 8 events, you're guaranteed $1 million which might be worth it for many guys.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

the shotgun start is loving stupid as hell

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

i am a moron posted:

the shotgun start is loving stupid as hell

I don't know, I watched the whole thing today and now it's done. It wasn't 10-11 hours of long, I can still do stuff with my day. Hell, if I wanted to watch DJ and Phil in a regular tournament and they teed off at opposite times, I'm basically stuck in front of the TV all day long. Sure, you can complain that the winning player might finish his round on the 3rd hole but we're watching on TV, I don't care if it's 3 or 18.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Daric posted:

The Youtube feed is essentially all golf shots without much filler (no commercials, some background segments), a leaderboard that's easy to understand, way more cameras, way more microphones, no Nick Faldo, barely any "This happened a moment ago...", and most importantly it's easy to loving watch. You don't have to start the day on Peacock Premium, then jump to Golf Channel, then NBC for a few hours, all of which will require it to go off the air for 10-15 minutes, have several "In case you're just joining us this is what happened earlier" segments, be filled with commercials, and then we're stuck looking at Faldo fellate himself in the booth instead of watching actual golf being played.

This is my opinion on it as well.

I'm watching it right now and the camera work is poo poo, and the commentators are annoying with all of their talk about this being a revolution and blah blah blah. But I will say just the fact that I can watch the full loving thing on youtube without having to jump between multiple service providers or hacked streams is super refreshing. For someone who doesn't have TSN or golf channel, this is a very good way to watch people play golf in a semi-professional capacity.

I generally don't watch any Tour golf primarily because it is such a pain in the rear end to get access to, but there is such a low barrier to entry for this that I have it on in the background.

I can't really say anything about the Saudi sportswashing because I watch Formula 1 and half of those races are held in countries with horrible human rights abuses

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Daric posted:

I don't know, I watched the whole thing today and now it's done. It wasn't 10-11 hours of long, I can still do stuff with my day. Hell, if I wanted to watch DJ and Phil in a regular tournament and they teed off at opposite times, I'm basically stuck in front of the TV all day long. Sure, you can complain that the winning player might finish his round on the 3rd hole but we're watching on TV, I don't care if it's 3 or 18.

I guess it depends on how you watch golf. I usually just tune in randomly the first two rounds and then wait for the leaders to tee off on the weekend. I don't follow particular golfers

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The third/final round is not a shotgun start fwiw.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
that makes sense, having your top 2 guys playing 9 holes apart but finishing at the same time would be really dumb

I hated how frenetic the pacing of the broadcast was. I have no idea of the layout of the course or any of the holes or which holes are interesting or anything, it was always just "golf shot, did it land in the fairway/green or not? next shot"

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Have they said why it’s a shotgun start? I just don’t understand the upside unless they need to keep these rounds super short or something.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm guessing to not have the like first hour of the broadcast have no one casual fans care about so they could draw eyeballs from minute 1.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

The third/final round is not a shotgun start fwiw.
Jerry Foltz was talking up the shotgun start as being super amazing, but if the final round is just a normal start...

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My round today was . . . different. Course pace of play: 2 hours per 9. First five holes, just over an hour, so right on schedule, and it felt appropriate. Got to the tee box on 6, a par 3, and we were the third group on the hole. Played the last four holes in an hour 17.

At the turn, ranger says it will pick up because the women's league has finished and is off the course. Played 10, 11, 12 in an hour. So, on the course for 3:20, and have played 12 holes. This is a par 64 course. We were the third group on 13, a par 3. It was going to be at least 15 minutes before we could tee off. I got a ranger to take me to the clubhouse.

The pace was a pain, but I would have gutted it out, but I couldnt stay for 5 hours and get the rest of the day done. This is a course I play once a year to see if they fixed their management problems. Nope. Gonna be another year before I go back.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Shotgun start is actually pretty cool for the first 2 rounds.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Kirios posted:

Alright goons, I'm gonna be in Seattle for a few days and I may be able to sneak 18 or 36 holes out of it. Where should I play?

If you can make it to chambers it's 100% worth going to.

If not, Washington national is the university of Washington home course and I think it's one of the most underrated places I've ever played golf. The state has had a lot of rain this summer so far so it should be in good shape. I've never played it and it wasn't green and lush. There's a lot of fun holes and a few very challenging holes where par is a good score and bogey is basically par. Also a nice set of varied tees that they move around depending on the times of year. If I lived on the west side of the state instead of the east I would 100% become a member there as soon as I moved. It's like 90 bucks too, pretty reasonable.

The home course is also nice, Salish cliffs and gold mountain are also two fun mountain tracks but a bit of a drive away.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
If you can make it to DuPont, I’d rather play The Home Course rather than Washington National these days, last time I played it they just weren’t keeping it up.

If you’re touristing in seattle play the West Seattle GC. The front 9 is legit good and interesting and the back is a little repetitive but the views of the skyline can’t be beat at a municipal course.

Also think Trophy Lake in Port Orchard is really fun.

White Horse would be a heck of a drive but it’s hella good too.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Dang that's a shame about Washington national, it's one of my favorites when it's nice. :(

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Dr. Capco posted:

Dang that's a shame about Washington national, it's one of my favorites when it's nice. :(

Dunno it was a year ago for some UW school of Architecture tourney so I thought it woulda been…better

Echoing chambers bay though, played it twice and got absolutely stomped by it and will keep going back because it’s genuinely interesting to play.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
It's also one of the few us open courses you can actually go play, so that alone to me is worth making the trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I’m playing the U.S. Sectional tees with the same pin placements on Sunday with a few friends at my home course. Will be thrilled if I break 85!