Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Anyone watching the TT this year? They're streaming coverage online for (I think) the first time. It's an overwhelming amount of coverage so I've just been skimming. Fantastic weather for the races so far.

Peter Hickman is cleaning up again already, placed first in the first Superbike and Superstock races, and 3rd in the first Supersport. Looks like the 130mph+ average speed records in place are well on the way to being smashed!

https://iomttraces.com/racing/page/tt-2022-schedule/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Weather looking pretty pretty rainy for the first day of my multi day moto adventure on Thursday. It's not very warm either. First day is going to be familiar highway roads, but still 300 km and a ferry in between.

Riding from Victoria to Pemberton on day one to visit my brother and his family and stay over a full day and then hopefully I'll ride from Pemberton to Lilooet and then south beside the Fraser River to Vancouver. Might break that one up into two parts and do some sight seeing. Then stay in Van for a night and then back to Vic.

Pretty much going to be dressing for winter riding and plastic bags around my things in my soft side bags.

Two pairs of gloves, gore-tex layer under my moto jacket, thermal tights, the works. Gonna be damp. I'll have access to laundry at my first stop.

Still really exciting to actually ride my bike a significant distance and even in inclement conditions.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 8, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Whelp I signed up for a LiveWire test ride

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

https://houston.craigslist.org/mcd/d/odem-vintage-motorcycles-1982-cx500s/7489914427.html

3 Turbos for 8 grand? How many multiples of that would it cost to get them all running?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Whelp I signed up for a LiveWire test ride

I was thinking of selling mine cos I'm barely riding it compared to the Fat Bob; however LiveWires are not moving off the shelves from dealers so dealers are not interested in buying them.

Protip: You should be able to get a hefty discount if you haggle with the dealer.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

https://houston.craigslist.org/mcd/d/odem-vintage-motorcycles-1982-cx500s/7489914427.html

3 Turbos for 8 grand? How many multiples of that would it cost to get them all running?

Already deleted

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Crap that's what I get when I don't take a screen shot. It was two Honda cx turbos and a Yamaha turbo of some kind for 8k. May have been a scam, who knows, it's loving Craigslist

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Arson Daily posted:

Crap that's what I get when I don't take a screen shot. It was two Honda cx turbos and a Yamaha turbo of some kind for 8k. May have been a scam, who knows, it's loving Craigslist

3rd bike was a glorious Seca Turbo. I bet the ad was legit. Craigslist charges $5 per listing. Some people get around it by listing under motorcycle parts, but I don't think I've seen a single scam ad since they started charging.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Wow I had no idea they had started charging. It makes sense as marketplace is wasteland of crap and Craigslist seemed to be far better than I remembered.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I finally signed up for Facebook marketplace and regretted it immediately, so much garbage to wade through. You can tell there is zero effort put into categorizing and keeping scams out. Craigslist may be way more dead but it's so much easier to dial in stuff I actually want to look for, Motorcycles/Scooters in my area > by owner > most recent, done.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The searching and filtering tools on FB are just horrendous compared to CL. But yeah CL is mostly dead so you have to deal with FB because that's where almost everything ends up.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I feel like I should do burnouts or something since I am getting rid of a basically new tyre. But I also feel like I shouldn't attempt a burnout, because I'd probably crash my bike or something.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

SEKCobra posted:

I feel like I should do burnouts or something since I am getting rid of a basically new tyre. But I also feel like I shouldn't attempt a burnout, because I'd probably crash my bike or something.

Just buy a GoPro first.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

check your chain tension first

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Is $50/wheel fair to have tires mounted on loose wheels?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I was going to say that this seems a bit high but then I noticed that there is a significant difference between what Cycle Gear charges for an offroad tire ($30) a street tire ($50). I've only ever had offroad/paddle tired installed/removed. A dealer also charged $30 iirc.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I usually see it $35-$50 yeah

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
cycletrader seems pretty decent but its sad to hear craigslist finally is biting the bullet, I do wonder how much is that the market is absolutely nuts, and getting worse now that you can barely get new bikes due to transport times, and used bikes are selling like hotcakes especially with 5 dollar gas

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

opengl128 posted:

The searching and filtering tools on FB are just horrendous compared to CL. But yeah CL is mostly dead so you have to deal with FB because that's where almost everything ends up.

Hot take: if the only place they're selling it is Facebook marketplace, it isn't worth buying.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Hot take: if the only place they're selling it is Facebook marketplace, it isn't worth buying.

Otoh if you're really, really stupid you sell things there so there are some deals imo. Just not with motorbike stuff.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I put my bike on cycletrader and marketplace and havent sold it in 2 months! Gonna blow the fin and see if CL is my savior I guess. Cycletrader sucks B T W how could it be worse than autotrader? Well folks, it is

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Made it to Pemberton. 250 klicks in the "atmospheric river. " The $15 rain suit I jammed under my gear actually worked really well, as did the second pair of gloves. My clothes are drying by a wood stove. Boots are soaked through but my brother's wife has a boot dryer. My pinlock did not work at all and I had to keep my helmet gapped the whole time to prevent fogging, I'll think about that later because it's supposed to clear up on Saturday.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 10, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

numberoneposter posted:

Made it to Pemberton. 250 klicks in the "atmospheric river. " The $15 rain suit I jammed under my gear actually worked really well, as did the second pair of gloves. My clothes are drying by a wood stove. Boots are soaked through but my brother's wife has a boot dryer. My pinlock did not work at all and I had to keep my helmet gapped the whole time to prevent fogging, I'll think about that later because it's supposed to clear up on Saturday.

Have you adjusted the pegs? It really helps a lot. Just don't do it with a screwdriver like some suggest, pop them out and back in.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Redvenom posted:

IOMTT info
Wanted to thank you again for this info, sincerely. The stars aligned and I found a bar right along the course and a bus route:

Bar doesn't even open for an hour yet and it's already filling up, but I've got my table and I'm in heaven. Thanks again.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah I'll need to check it out, I'm not sure what is going on, I normally ride my 3/4 in town and since I was doing a big trip I used my full face. I took a second look at it on the ferry between vic and the mainland and I dunno, I'll see about adjusting it but it looked OK. I want to get a schuberth modular helmet any ways so I might just retire this particular full face.

A day in the rain is fun though, especially if you have somewhere warm to sleep.

Gonna hang out in Pemberton tomorrow and then do a big ride on Saturday to Vancouver.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Pinlock can get saturated, maybe water was running down into it or something.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Fifty Three posted:

Wanted to thank you again for this info, sincerely. The stars aligned and I found a bar right along the course and a bus route:

Bar doesn't even open for an hour yet and it's already filling up, but I've got my table and I'm in heaven. Thanks again.

Brilliant, good spot. Looks amazing, you will have them absolutely screaming past sitting there. Hope you get to enjoy a heap of good racing.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

There was a brief time where you'd get faster responses on FB marketplace but that is over. Nobody responds to the ads they put up, at least for parts. Maybe they'd respond on a full motorcycle I don't know. There's other weird poo poo going on FB marketplace: several times when I've listed items I receive no response for weeks or months then all of a sudden 3 responses in one day. My guess is ads are being ghosted either intentionally or by mistake because they want you to pay to "Boost your listing".

CL charging $5 was great to get rid of scammers, but killed the site for legit motorcycles at the same time.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gorson posted:

There was a brief time where you'd get faster responses on FB marketplace but that is over. Nobody responds to the ads they put up, at least for parts. Maybe they'd respond on a full motorcycle I don't know. There's other weird poo poo going on FB marketplace: several times when I've listed items I receive no response for weeks or months then all of a sudden 3 responses in one day. My guess is ads are being ghosted either intentionally or by mistake because they want you to pay to "Boost your listing".

CL charging $5 was great to get rid of scammers, but killed the site for legit motorcycles at the same time.

I’m glad I bought my bike when I did, unless that’s only for trying to sell stuff.

Although that would explain why the clothes I put up never got a response even though they were really nice and never worn. :(

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Holy loving poo poo the IOM TT is incredible

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Theres not like a highway-capable grom sized bike, stock, is there?
I have a little chinese clone that is tuned well enough, it'll hold 65mph steady. But i wouldn't think it's a good idea to do more than a few minutes at a time on the highway. I've done 5 minutes and it's kinda sus.

Like maybe an oil cooler on a grom, and a BBK would be OK.

My friend sorta wants something to zip around in. He lives in an apartment and it's totally feasible to ride a grom into his basement storage. Can't imagine anything bigger.

I know people engine swap cb300r engines into Groms....

Is there anything stock that size with a bit more top end, street legal, and still produced?

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 10, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yes they are called 'motorcycles', a frequently recommended one is called the 'ninja 250'

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Just get a Honda CB300R if you want to stick with team red.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Yes they are called 'motorcycles', a frequently recommended one is called the 'ninja 250'

lmfao

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Sachs MadAss 125 perhaps?
Pretty rare, even in Europe, but who knows.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Lol at driving a loving mini bike on the highway

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Isn't that basically what the Navi is?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Isn't that basically what the Navi is?

the Navi is a scooter pretending to be a motorcycle. Against all odds, the Grom is faster

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Lol at driving a loving mini bike on the highway

I mean it's easy first you need like 50-100% more power, so from ~15- to like ~25. Then you need an extended swingarm because the weave threshold on the factory bike is like 120kmh. Then you need some bigger brakes to haul up all the extra speed. At that point it makes sense to get fairings and a screen, both for comfort and to maximize performance.

At this point, after spending $5000, you've finally got a bike that is functionally a really lovely, really stupid looking ninja 250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Russian Bear posted:

Just get a Honda CB300R if you want to stick with team red.

These are starting to get really cheap, you can sometimes find them and the older 250 for close to Ninja 250 prices. Some even have ABS.