Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Anaxite posted:

Could/would a Codex use a Psionic Bomb on civilians?

They can, but you basically have to scam the AI into it, by huddling all your soldiers in a group with the civvies. As noted above, they lust ceaselessly for ammo depletion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Akratic Method posted:

They can, but you basically have to scam the AI into it, by huddling all your soldiers in a group with the civvies. As noted above, they lust ceaselessly for ammo depletion.

To be fair that does seem to be the most effective use of the skill considering nobody's dumb enough to stay there to get blown up (though I suppose the forced reposition is a goal there too).

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

This is a very silly mission. We still have the two satellite data bonuses active, giving us a ludicrously fast scan speed on the world map. I had actually forgotten you could get scan sites that created guerilla missions, that's how rare those are. It's still cool though. The lost over running the mission site makes this a walk in the park really. Or sewers, I guess, is more accurate. I am joined once again by my good buddy Guava Moment and there is a special surprise at the very end of the video for everyone.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Love, Death, Robots is even on Season 3 in this case, which is the one you're watching I should add. Pretty sure there is even a not-XCOM episode in that season about soldiers discovering aliens.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Guava, you're thinking of chavs and scallies.

...ugh, the Burberry memories.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
People from the city Liverpool are colloquially known as Scousers. Fans of Liverpool FC might accept being called Liverpudlians, and fans of the other team in the city, Everton, can be called Evertonians. Other nicknames may be available.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
One day you'll indeed make a good one chief

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Robert Deadford posted:

People from the city Liverpool are colloquially known as Scousers.

That's the word I was trying to think of, thank you!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That was indeed a very silly mission.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Humiliating the Warlock will never not be utterly hilarious.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Never stop bullying the Elder's Biggest Boy.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The warlock came close to being slapped to death by the Lost, is there anything special if that happens?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

kw0134 posted:

The warlock came close to being slapped to death by the Lost, is there anything special if that happens?

Don't think so.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You get to laugh extra hard

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Love, Death and Robots is the re-animated corpse of a failed Heavy Metal sequel. Pretty sure Heavy Metal 2000 killed off that ambition, although it did get us F.A.K.K. 2.

I'm not actually sure F.A.K.K. 2 is a good game. I remember it being ambitious but unpolished and very much of the times.

I dip back into the magazine every few years, but you never know what you are going to get.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

kw0134 posted:

The Lost gets promoted! +5 Ability Points

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Flair posted:

The Lost gets promoted! +5 Ability Points

A very confused fast-zombie finds themselves congratulated by X-Com and on the Outrider to the base. Squaddie Lost "and Found" is given an ill-fitting armoured-vest and gun they have no idea how to use.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

LashLightning posted:

A very confused fast-zombie finds themselves congratulated by X-Com and on the Outrider to the base. Squaddie Lost "and Found" is given an ill-fitting armoured-vest and gun they have no idea how to use.

Promoted to Sharpshooter!

*confused zombie noises as a sniper rifle is forced into his hands*

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Hey, you know what I exported to youtube like, weeks ago and totally forgot to make a real post about? Outer Wilds!

Now with more of me reviewing my youtube/twist recordings because I thought this was the last video I had on outerwilds. Oh god I hope i didn't lose the ending!

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 6, 2022

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Couple of things, Jade wanted me to post my robot shenanigan video in the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALg3X15sSBQ

Also this will be relevant to the next video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcmHt1eAWBk

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GuavaMoment posted:

Couple of things, Jade wanted me to post my robot shenanigan video in the thread:

The rumble shows off the real advantage your paper design had with the wide wheel base when others had to go more compact with heavier materials. Anything you got leverage on you seemed to control the fight handily. The issue's just the initial control, particularly bots made to defend against losing it. Thanks for showing that off.

I enjoy any sort of competition where one thing is clearly not along the same lines as the others. You don't know if it'll work or not but it's gonna be interesting. In your first video the size difference was so big that without any context I thought it was an exhibition match across weight classes.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 7, 2022

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Bruceski posted:

The rumble shows off the real advantage your paper design had with the wide wheel base when others had to go more compact with heavier materials. Anything you got leverage on you seemed to control the fight handily. The issue's just the initial control, particularly bots made to defend against losing it. Thanks for showing that off.

Jade pointed out that I complained about other robot using magnets without really explaining it to the layman - the floor is steel, so using magnets increases your downforce and makes it harder to get under other robots. It's a game I hate playing, but I'm going to have to in the future.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

GuavaMoment posted:

I love The Abyss. It feels like a super neat robot, and much more fun than all the others with their boring rapidly-rotating weapons and stuff.
I hope you do well with The Abyss mk.2.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GuavaMoment posted:

Jade pointed out that I complained about other robot using magnets without really explaining it to the layman - the floor is steel, so using magnets increases your downforce and makes it harder to get under other robots. It's a game I hate playing, but I'm going to have to in the future.

Heat weakens magnets, so if you just put a flamethrower on there...

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Put a magnet in the top of the mouth that you can turn on and off to yank those other magnetized robots off. Then when you get to the drop zone you turn it off and dump them. Probably would add to much weight but it sounds neat in my head

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

The Oilers are dead! Long live XCOM updates (sorry Guava).

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Every time I hear of "the Oilers" I think of fuel resupply ships and WW2 war games, and yeah, they do tend to die pretty badly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sarah Problem posted:

Put a magnet in the top of the mouth that you can turn on and off to yank those other magnetized robots off. Then when you get to the drop zone you turn it off and dump them. Probably would add to much weight but it sounds neat in my head

An electromagnet would mean more things to go wrong. And their strength is very dependent on current and number of coils so getting something strong enough might be weight prohibitive. Contrast with fixed magnets that you can just stick somewhere and they work.

Fun fact, I once accidentally turned an electromagnet into a railgun that punched a hole in its own power supply. Thus answering the question of "what happens if I just crank this to max". Glad it didn't go the other direction, that's where I was standing. The Physics teacher turned it into a safety lecture for everyone.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Bruceski posted:

Heat weakens magnets, so if you just put a flamethrower on there...

Oh man, I loved Diotoir!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Sarah Problem posted:

Keep in mind the majority of a robot is non-magnetic materials, and the effective range of any kind of magnet in this size is like a millimeter. That said I do own an electromagnet and it proved finicky to turn off in a combat setting. I was just using it to force myself down on the floor, and the weight and complexity of it was not worth it compared to a permanent magnet.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

I'm still not getting a lot of time to scan the globe for scan sites or to make contact with the resistance in new regions. Time is passing though and soon the covert action to find a way into the Assassins lair will complete and we will want to attack her before she attacks us. With that in mind I send in a squad of mid level soldiers to rest up the major and colonel level soldiers for the assault on the chosen. Despite the slightly less powerful squad this is a fairly routine mission at this point in the campaign and it leaves me and Guava with plenty of time to talk about other things.

Oh and we get the Psi lab built so we can get started on that. It will take a while for a psi operative to learn enough skills to risk fielding, but it's an exciting start.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Re: Picard - we binge watched the first season last week. It looks like it has potential - that I forsee being horribly squandered in the second season.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Veloxyll posted:

Re: Picard - we binge watched the first season last week. It looks like it has potential - that I forsee being horribly squandered in the second season.
You are correct

Jade- do you have any interest in the upcoming Firaxis Marvel game?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
it would have to be EXCEEDINGLY good for me to give it any thought. Marvel poo poo is just garbage that I want no part of unless it's The Punisher voiced by Thomas Jane as a FPS or maybe Third PS.

My current thoughts on the next thing to do is a light hearted low effort LP of Wasted for a fun time break and then Chaos Gate.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The first gameplay previews have started to pop up now after its second announcement at the Summer Snoozefest, but I haven't really looked into those to see how it plays.

In a way I was kinda disappointed that Aliens: Dark Descent might be an Alien Swarm type of game and not an Aliens XCOM.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Guava I looked up the video you mentioned and that wasn't less a prediction more than Stargate making fun of an issue thats been around for decades where they skipped parts of the action you shouldn't. Also yeah then pacing on that clip is amazing....

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 10, 2022

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade Star posted:

it would have to be EXCEEDINGLY good for me to give it any thought. Marvel poo poo is just garbage that I want no part of unless it's The Punisher voiced by Thomas Jane as a FPS or maybe Third PS.

My current thoughts on the next thing to do is a light hearted low effort LP of Wasted for a fun time break and then Chaos Gate.

You could always do Darkest Dungeon Torchless just in time for Darkest Dungeon 2 to come out on Steam

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

I sat on this for a while now. I can't remember ever letting a chosen build up so much of their 'attack the Avenger' bar before. It is time to deal with them, I just can't wait any longer.

Post mission thoughts below -

I made quick work of this mission despite not having a perfectly ideal time for it. Several high ranking soldiers were injured or tired/shaken and needed rest. Materant had to be used without being fully repaired because I wanted someone with a rocket and the Shredder skill and I would have had to dig way down on the roster for the next Grenadier to send. Materant also did a great job of revealing the Assassin several times making it a lot easier to kill her each time she showed up by letting us shoot her turn one rather than scrambling and guessing where she might be and probably only finding out by way of her swording someone in the face. And there was the turn where she just didn't do anything, which was strange.

Defeating the Assassin has a few significant benefits, the first and most obvious being that she no longer shows up on missions to cause Unexpected Troubles. Secondly she can't act against the resistance, doing things like reducing region income, sabotaging the avenger, or those sorts of actions. Additionally defeating her gets us another slot to equip a resistance order for the Reapers. Lastly since she is dead we will never have to see her again. If you fail to kill a chosen in these missions I am told they show up at the final mission of the campaign. I have to go with what I hear on that because why would you not kill these bastards as soon as you are able?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The assassin committing literal seppuku is such a weeb thing to include, I love it. :allears: