Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe OP should teach their kid that pickles and ketchup are fine and then they could order off the menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BiggerBoat posted:

I seem to be the only person on the planet that finds this stupid and most people think I'm insane when I point it out.
Where can I sign up for your newsletter and when do we start blowing poo poo up?

I'm not being sarcastic. Every time I see one of these dumb kiosks I want to gently caress it with a sledgehammer.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

withak posted:

Maybe OP should teach their kid that pickles and ketchup are fine and then they could order off the menu.

Sounds good until you have a child that will literally rather starve themselves than eat something that has mixed smooth and crunchy textures. Agonizing as a parent.

They do grow out of it, eventually.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The kiosk lets me make my stupid custom order without the shame if having to say it out loud and that makes it the greatest thing.

Self checkout though needs a clerk when I try and buy alcohol or use a coupon, which brings all that shame as I look like an idiot waiting for someone to stop helping someone else so they can push the magic button and scan their ID.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah I like self-checkouts, the Taco Bell self-ordering system makes it nice to do custom orders without having to say it all out loud and repeat myself.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I like self-checkout as an option. But since you need staff there anyway, and other people might need more serious help with their checkout, it's good to have crewed checkout, as well.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Awkward high-school me would have loved self-checkout to buy embarrassing things like condoms in a small town! I mean, they all expired but still

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

BiggerBoat posted:

Well...I guess. I don't eat that garbage much as it is so I guess this is just one more nudge towards getting me to make my own food and eat better. It's just so loving weird to me. Like, I dunno, bad analogy maybe but if I want my hair cut a certain way I'd rather tell the person cutting it than get up and walk over to a computer screen with pictures of 100 different haircuts and download an app about it.

And I don't even have any loving hair.

I'd loving love this poo poo rather than having to figure out what language the barber is expecting and worrying that they're gonna ignore me and cut it however the hell they want to anyway.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Remulak posted:

They do grow out of it, eventually.

Sometimes. Some of them eat nothing but nuggets as adults.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't mind kiosks, but it is funny that they put someone at a register, only for that person to say that they had to use the kiosk.

That person was likely not manning the register and instead expediting food and happened to be near it. Also tasked with telling people to use the kiosk.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
My big issue with companies going for self-checkout and self-checkout only is that it looks like a nightmare for people with disabilities.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Awkward high-school me would have loved self-checkout to buy embarrassing things like condoms in a small town! I mean, they all expired but still

That's why they're bad IMO. Allows akward nerds to forego even more human interaction.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm not being sarcastic. Every time I see one of these dumb kiosks I want to gently caress it with a sledgehammer.
Edward Kim has entered the chat

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Thomamelas posted:

My big issue with companies going for self-checkout and self-checkout only is that it looks like a nightmare for people with disabilities.

Depends. For some disabilities it is a boon (hearing, speech, etc.); for others the staff can assist or the staff/manager can unlock a register.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I like self-checkouts, the Taco Bell self-ordering system makes it nice to do custom orders without having to say it all out loud and repeat myself.

Sometimes I just want to add nacho cheese to everything without the additional shame.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

archangelwar posted:

That person was likely not manning the register and instead expediting food and happened to be near it. Also tasked with telling people to use the kiosk.

"Tasked with telling people to use the kiosk" is very funny, let's be real.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Should just have a sign they can tap.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the guy behind the counter directed you to use the kiosk because he's not trained on the register, and he's there to make the food

the years of republicans crowing about "minimum wage? heh, meet your replacement" have come to fruition, due to turbulence in the job market very few people are willing to work for fast food wages. i'm sure we can find some op eds about how kids these days are just lazy and can't work with their baggy pants and pokemons

There's no level of minimum wage that wouldn't make companies want to move to more automation.

Hell, I was in Thailand four years ago and when walking past a McDonalds they had the automated screens there, and you can guarantee staff there are getting a lot less than anywhere in the west.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

archangelwar posted:

Depends. For some disabilities it is a boon (hearing, speech, etc.); for others the staff can assist or the staff/manager can unlock a register.

Yeah, or even just having a thick accent? Having people clearly understand what you're saying, and being able to clearly understand them back, is a kind of privilege too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real old man yelling at cloud energy here with some of these posts

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Sometimes. Some of them eat nothing but nuggets as adults.
Hey! I take offence to this!

those aren’t nuggets, they are goujons :colbert:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Amazon's been doing it for a few years now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc

There's about ~30 standalone Go stores atm but they're starting to roll it out (with carts too) to Whole Foods

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Last Friday at my local grocery store (chain) I had to stand in line 20 minutes to pay for my 4 items and the lines behind each of the two registers was snaking to the back of the store.

At loving 5:30pm.

Bring on the self checkouts.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
This reminds me of this story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61467165

quote:

Ms McCarthy said she loved chatting with checkout staff as she lives on her own, but "now that experience has been taken away from me".

As an ex retail slave I can almost guarantee the staff don't feel the same way.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Andrast posted:

That's the point! I don't have to yell at the cloud!
I just CLICK the cloud!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/epzgkk/27-percent-of-electric-vehicle-fast-chargers-in-the-bay-area-dont-work-study-finds

27% of Electric Vehicle Fast Chargers in the Bay Area Don’t Work, Study Finds
Charger reliability is an even bigger problem than lack of chargers, surveys of EV users increasingly find.

The study, which has not been peer reviewed and claims to be the first of its kind to systematically test DCFC reliability, confirmed these findings. An incredible 27.6 percent of the 657 chargers tested didn’t work (21 had to be excluded from the study because an internal combustion engine car was parked in front of the charger, a move EV owners refer to as being “ICE’d”). And when a random sampling of 10 percent of the chargers were revisited about a week later, nearly all of them hadn’t been fixed.

There was no one major problem with the chargers, according to the study’s results. Forty-seven chargers experienced a payment system failure even after attempting multiple credit cards. Forty-two simply never started charging. Thirty-two had “station design failures” such as the cord being too short to reach the charging port on Chevy Bolts or spots too small for cars to actually fit in. Twenty-four had error messages on the screen, and 23 had blank or unresponsive screens. SIx connectors were broken and seven had wifi or other connectivity issues.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

His Divine Shadow posted:

That's why they're bad IMO. Allows akward nerds to forego even more human interaction.

If interacting with minimum wage employees makes an appreciable difference to their social skills, they have bigger problems.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BiggerBoat posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epzgkk/27-percent-of-electric-vehicle-fast-chargers-in-the-bay-area-dont-work-study-finds

27% of Electric Vehicle Fast Chargers in the Bay Area Don’t Work, Study Finds
Charger reliability is an even bigger problem than lack of chargers, surveys of EV users increasingly find.

The study, which has not been peer reviewed and claims to be the first of its kind to systematically test DCFC reliability, confirmed these findings. An incredible 27.6 percent of the 657 chargers tested didn’t work (21 had to be excluded from the study because an internal combustion engine car was parked in front of the charger, a move EV owners refer to as being “ICE’d”). And when a random sampling of 10 percent of the chargers were revisited about a week later, nearly all of them hadn’t been fixed.

There was no one major problem with the chargers, according to the study’s results. Forty-seven chargers experienced a payment system failure even after attempting multiple credit cards. Forty-two simply never started charging. Thirty-two had “station design failures” such as the cord being too short to reach the charging port on Chevy Bolts or spots too small for cars to actually fit in. Twenty-four had error messages on the screen, and 23 had blank or unresponsive screens. SIx connectors were broken and seven had wifi or other connectivity issues.

Spaceballs was right; even in the future, nothing works.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Should just have a sign they can tap.

"It's all bananas."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
tbf, how many usb plugs anything in an office feel jank or outlets for old houses/buildings feel loose/jank?

would be nice if we as a culture cared about up keep costs and maintenance but thats a long term thing, got to suck off the quarterly report.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Less Fat Luke posted:

In the 70’s you had to ask the pharmacist for them. When I was in HS I did this in towns other than my own.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

VideoGameVet posted:

In the 70’s you had to ask the pharmacist for them. When I was in HS I did this in towns other than my own.

A little bit later, but Tom Green got poo poo for his “I’m buying condoms” bit, but this is exactly why it was important and good. “I’m buying condoms, because I’m planning on making love to a woman tonight and they help prevent sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy and I don’t think I’m really mature enough to handle either of those.”

“Oh you think that’s funny what you’re doing?”

“No, I think it’s important, this is the 90s!”

“What about abstinence?”

“Abstinence, no, I haven’t heard of that… do you wear that? I’ll give a try, thank you!”

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at american sex edu and sex culture .

"yeah go get them booooooyyyyy/son." (but have you thought about not making jeeezus sad?)

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Andrast posted:

Yeah my experience in any sort of busy fast food place is the kiosks are miles better. The McDonalds (or wherever) will have 4-12 working kiosks that you can punch an order into in 30 seconds instead of a massive line waiting to use 1-3 minimum wage teenagers at the tills taking forever. Its way faster, there are never any mistakes with the order, and its presumably cheaper for the restaurant themselves on top. Its a great innovation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Blut posted:

Yeah my experience in any sort of busy fast food place is the kiosks are miles better. The McDonalds (or wherever) will have 4-12 working kiosks that you can punch an order into in 30 seconds instead of a massive line waiting to use 1-3 minimum wage teenagers at the tills taking forever. Its way faster, there are never any mistakes with the order, and its presumably cheaper for the restaurant themselves on top. Its a great innovation.

And it’s making plenty of jobs, because the kitchen is busy as gently caress with the quicker orders.

ReticulatingSpline
Oct 10, 2012

Pinky Artichoke posted:

They need you to use the kiosk because that's where the facial recognition data collection is.

I once went to Capri Suns head office, they were incredibly proud of their facial recognition vending machine

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Hahaha musk is literally turning off the self driving system moments before a crash.

https://twitter.com/MattPotter/status/1535753166880444416

Insert that thinking meme where it says 'cant blame the autopilot if the autopilot isn't on when you crash'

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Not that you should give them any credit or credence, but Tesla's self-reported safety stats claim:

quote:

To ensure our statistics are conservative, we count any crash in which Autopilot was deactivated within 5 seconds before impact, and we count all crashes in which the incident alert indicated an airbag or other active restraint deployed.

So one second before impact wouldn't help juke their own stats. Does it actually help for legal liability? And a much better question, why the gently caress are self-driving systems allowed to go to market with minimal NHTSA scrutiny, and why isn't there public crash data? (Yes, these are mostly rhetorical questions)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Hahaha musk is literally turning off the self driving system moments before a crash.

https://twitter.com/MattPotter/status/1535753166880444416

Insert that thinking meme where it says 'cant blame the autopilot if the autopilot isn't on when you crash'

If Autopilot is shutting off less than a second before a crash, then it's not because Autopilot is trying to avoid legal liability - it's because Autopilot literally didn't know it was about to crash until less than a second before impact. The Collision Warning and Automatic Braking systems aren't activating until immediately before collision either. Fundamentally, disengaging a driver assistance system when it detects a dangerous situation that it's unable to resolve on its own is the correct action. The problem is that Autopilot is so fundamentally unable to handle these situations that it doesn't even realize it's missing anything until the crash is imminent, so the driver is left with zero warning of the problem and zero time to intervene.

Of course, the driver is supposed to be watching the road too, so they shouldn't need to wait for Autopilot's warning before they realize they're about to hit a fire truck. This is why the NHTSA investigation is aimed at a larger, more general target: "to explore the degree to which Autopilot and associated Tesla systems may exacerbate human factors or behavioral safety risks by undermining the effectiveness of the driver’s supervision". Or, to put it in plain English, they think Autopilot is causing drivers to not pay attention, that the driver engagement systems that are supposed to force that are utterly toothless and useless, and that the system isn't detecting dangerous situations and warning drivers about them until it's too late to intervene. The combination of these three factors are the problem that the NHTSA is looking into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

If Autopilot is shutting off less than a second before a crash, then it's not because Autopilot is trying to avoid legal liability - it's because Autopilot literally didn't know it was about to crash until less than a second before impact. The Collision Warning and Automatic Braking systems aren't activating until immediately before collision either. Fundamentally, disengaging a driver assistance system when it detects a dangerous situation that it's unable to resolve on its own is the correct action. The problem is that Autopilot is so fundamentally unable to handle these situations that it doesn't even realize it's missing anything until the crash is imminent, so the driver is left with zero warning of the problem and zero time to intervene.

Of course, the driver is supposed to be watching the road too, so they shouldn't need to wait for Autopilot's warning before they realize they're about to hit a fire truck. This is why the NHTSA investigation is aimed at a larger, more general target: "to explore the degree to which Autopilot and associated Tesla systems may exacerbate human factors or behavioral safety risks by undermining the effectiveness of the driver’s supervision". Or, to put it in plain English, they think Autopilot is causing drivers to not pay attention, that the driver engagement systems that are supposed to force that are utterly toothless and useless, and that the system isn't detecting dangerous situations and warning drivers about them until it's too late to intervene. The combination of these three factors are the problem that the NHTSA is looking into.

This is so backwards from the driver assistance systems that are popular in Israel, MobilEye and the like, which usually give you more information as you're driving, like beeping at you for being outside the speed range, warning you when you're abutting a lane without signaling, etc.