Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I spent like 5 months totally designing a website for an old company. We actually contracted a company to do it while cloth, and my role was saying “this is what we need” and them saying “cool, here’s industry standard way to do all of this”, to which I would reply “you’re the expert”.

I was met with resistance every step of the way by my boss, who wanted to nitpick every detail and constantly argued against the firm we hired to do it. They would make any changes she demanded, but as it came together it was not functioning at all. Finally, as the deadline approached, I had a frank talk with the firm and asked them to come personally relay everything they had initially told me, which was essentially “everything your boss wants will not work the way she imagines it will, and it will also look terrible”.

They came in and explained all this, which was the exact same thing I had been saying for three months, and she finally was like “hmmm that sounds good”. So they backtracked 3 months of work back to the way things were 1 month in and delivered it and everyone loved it.

Just trust the people you hire to do something you don’t know how to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Working in an Amazon warehouse I found it funny when a month or two ago the local management decided to to some cleaning and prettying up of the main entrance. It was the end of a project that involved beautification of the parking lot (including ripping out some dead trees and putting new ones in). Anyways it culminates on putting fancy little flower gardens at the main entrance with a few large decorative rocks, backed by ornamental, trimmed bushes.

Well the main entrance that our workers and vendors use is also the main entrance our trucks use. There's an entrance on the side street a lot of workers use, but the trucks all come in the main front entrance.

At least once a week a truck doesn't quite make the turn and jumps the curb: making a big tire track and dragging one of the big stones several feet. The landscapers clean it up relatively quickly but they can't magically make the flowers that were smashed come back. On the left side where the trucks have all the clearance the entry garden is just fine. On the right side the trucks keep smushing all over the flower bed is reduced to a few, small, terrified survivor flowers huddling in the back with a single big rock and a big, empty expanse of either tire track of empty, smoothed, flattened dirt where there used to be flowers.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 10, 2022

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
The absolute best is when people say integration for two bits of software and everyone nods knowingly. With each of them having completely different mental images of what that means.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Thomamelas posted:

The absolute best is when people say integration for two bits of software and everyone nods knowingly. With each of them having completely different mental images of what that means.

Oh, have you worked at Amazon before?

Because I'm not even a developer and it's loving Integration Hell here. There are so many apps to do different functions. New Apps, old Apps, updated Apps, discontinued Apps that are still on our menus despite saying [discontinued]. Super sekrit Apps we will never, ever, EVER tell a manager or above they exist or have overlooked quirks because they let us skirt some rules to do our jobs faster/better/easier. Apps for two different departments that do the exact same thing.

Amazon treats its developers as bad as us warehouse workers and it shows. Like they'll play nice with the database because they absolutely have to for anything to work, but they can interact so weirdly with each other.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Motronic posted:

Oh when we're getting real specific this is absolutely a thing also. So I'm going to have to agree.

I'm talking about people who think this poo poo is literally magic, you're talking about people who kinda know what is possible but don't know how things should actually work, normally more on the side of "how their org should run" as opposed to "how software works".

In that mix are the expectations that the sales team set to get the client to sign on the dotted line. I however, am not obligated to support that product I support the software as it actually is. Hopefully those two things are more less the same thing if they are not the same well that is no skin of my nose.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 10, 2022

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Oh, have you worked at Amazon before?

Because I'm not even a developer and it's loving Integration Hell here. There are so many apps to do different functions. New Apps, old Apps, updated Apps, discontinued Apps that are still on our menus despite saying [discontinued]. Super sekrit Apps we will never, ever, EVER tell a manager or above they exist or have overlooked quirks because they let us skirt some rules to do our jobs faster/better/easier. Apps for two different departments that do the exact same thing.

Amazon treats its developers as bad as us warehouse workers and it shows. Like they'll play nice with the database because they absolutely have to for anything to work, but they can interact so weirdly with each other.

Nope, I just worked on a lot of projects where that spiteful word was used. To this day, the weirdest one I've ever seen was an integration between Waze and a security camera system. It was done on behalf of a department doing traffic camera monitoring. Waze was used to make a lot of PTZs move to where accidents were. It was cool to see but oh god am I glad it wasn't one of my projects.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I wish I could get my hands on French saison yeast here more easily.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Thomamelas posted:

Back when I worked at an agency, our bosses kept using the phrase “seamless integration” in their proposals to clients. I had mentioned that this was a bad idea many times, but it finally sunk in once one client decided it meant we’d be implementing a custom Google Calendar interface.

The phrase was then summarily banned from proposals.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Escape From Noise posted:

I wish I could get my hands on French saison yeast here more easily.

You may think that’s what you want, but that’s not agile mindset

What we need to do is have several weeks of meetings, and then I’ll give you half a can of warm Bud

It’s iterative

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Scientastic posted:

What we need to do is have several weeks of meetings, and then I’ll give you half a can of warm Bud

It’s iterative

Subsequently, every time you complain about the Bud, I will either add a random ingredient to it or write something different on the side of the can.
Eventually one of us runs out of time or money or patience and the end result is the project.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Atopian posted:

the end result

Look at this waterfall brained six sigma thinking

THERE IS NEVER AN END RESULT

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Scientastic posted:

It’s iterative

Oh come on! Can I at least get Miller?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh come on! Can I at least get Miller?

*Silently and sternly adds a new esoteric ingredient to the required list.*

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I've learned (from DMing for tabletop games) that asking, 'well, what is it you would like to do? ' works pretty well, then you just repeat back to them what they asked for with small changes until they accidentally compromise.

You can't roll to gently caress the dragon, but you can roll to calm it!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

*Silently and sternly adds a new esoteric ingredient to the required list.*

Whatever! It can't be worse than the Bud acetaldehyde flavor!

Can it?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I've learned (from DMing for tabletop games) that asking, 'well, what is it you would like to do? ' works pretty well, then you just repeat back to them what they asked for with small changes until they accidentally compromise.

You can't roll to gently caress the dragon, but you can roll to calm it!

Dumb poo poo your work does - You can't roll to gently caress the dragon, but you can roll to calm it!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I did 3 days of Cybersecurity training and saw our Cybersecurity alert list.

Oh god.

How does ANYTHING survive long enough not be hacked in any work environment, I don't understand. You want to protect against that level of threat with the lowest possible cost. Everywhere. The dumb poo poo your work does is assuming you'll never be hacked.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't, just most of it is never properly attacked. Automated probing is everywhere.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Big fan of my work (court reporting) scheduling hearings at 8:30. One problem is that the ancient computer running heavy recording software takes 20 minutes to boot, and I can't get into the building until a security guard comes by to unlock the door... At 8:15. Now I look like a chump because I gotta fob these hearings off on someone else or be perpetually late

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Whatever! It can't be worse than the Bud acetaldehyde flavor!

Can it?

*types in "Malic Acid" down without breaking the stare*

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

*types in "Malic Acid" down without breaking the stare*

This... this is violence!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Comstar posted:

I did 3 days of Cybersecurity training and saw our Cybersecurity alert list.

Oh god.

How does ANYTHING survive long enough not be hacked in any work environment, I don't understand. You want to protect against that level of threat with the lowest possible cost. Everywhere. The dumb poo poo your work does is assuming you'll never be hacked.

My work sends out fake phishing/scamming emails when their "Report Phishing" and "Report Spam" buttons have been broken since I got hired nearly a year ago :allears:

I also started receiving fake emails from the director of my org, which were just random gmail accounts with their names set to his name, and copied signature, etc. Really easy to spot. I emailed him and forwarded it to IT... their response was "well that's an outside email account so we have no power to do anything". They didn't even send out a blast email to alert anyone about the fake emails, lmfao.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On monday I found out another one of my programs is selling too well, and they want to get that programs daily numbers down. I cut stuff only to find out my backup programs are still selling too much so we had a grave meeting to turn off my program entirely because they cant see any way we can sell enough less otherwise. They slashed my sales target for the year by about 1/3rd despite me saying the money they gave me meant on my books I projected to clear that goal easily. They told me get creative with the money.

Am... am I supposed to embezzle it???

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Barudak posted:

On monday I found out another one of my programs is selling too well, and they want to get that programs daily numbers down. I cut stuff only to find out my backup programs are still selling too much so we had a grave meeting to turn off my program entirely because they cant see any way we can sell enough less otherwise. They slashed my sales target for the year by about 1/3rd despite me saying the money they gave me meant on my books I projected to clear that goal easily. They told me get creative with the money.

Why would you ever want to sell less of anything?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Barudak posted:

I have a bridge for sale, if they're interested.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Target Practice posted:

Why would you ever want to sell less of anything?

Normally I'd say "if you don't have enough supply", but it sounds like it's either software or a service being sold?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

Start paying off goon mortgages. Starting with my own, of course.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Because the team that puts together the image we put on our PCs seems to refuse to do any QA (so basic things like the VPN, or even the ability to install software stop working), we've had to start finding new and interesting pieces of software to help us unfuck things.

Yesterday, my boss got an email from Information Security demanding an explanation for why we were using one of these new and interesting pieces of software. Maybe the 'dialogue' my boss opened as he grinned evilly while typing a reply will get the responsible team to start being responsible. Or maybe we'll get a bunch of rights revoked and won't be able to unfuck out computers anymore. Either way, it'll make less work for us.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Time to do some fancy team building events to boost morale.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I went drinking with the section head last night. We get along so I am cautiously optimistic about stuff. We'll see! Nomunication, baby!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Johnny Truant posted:

My work sends out fake phishing/scamming emails when their "Report Phishing" and "Report Spam" buttons have been broken since I got hired nearly a year ago :allears:

I also started receiving fake emails from the director of my org, which were just random gmail accounts with their names set to his name, and copied signature, etc. Really easy to spot. I emailed him and forwarded it to IT... their response was "well that's an outside email account so we have no power to do anything". They didn't even send out a blast email to alert anyone about the fake emails, lmfao.

I still occasionally get emails from an old job that are spoofed & somehow sent to my personal email. Funniest part is the address is for the owner of the company...who, while being a good dude, was NOT tech literate or careful in the least lol

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Had a big teams meeting about the new insurance plan. Kinda ended prematurely after a woman nearly in tears asked if she was seriously going to have to pay $500 a month for her sick son's medications to cover the $3000 deductible. (She would still need to pay $100 a month after since prescriptions are 20% coinsurance.)

"I'm so sorry about your son but yes, that is how the plan works."

People immediately just started dropping the call, I assume out of disgust. I'm now in another training call that's on mute and just staring blankly at my wall.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sounds like it's time to find another job, since they cut your compensation pretty significantly.

I mean, don't need to quit tomorrow, keep drawing a paycheck while you job hunt, but gently caress knows in your shoes I'd be shooting off resumes everywhere .

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Critical posted:

Had a big teams meeting about the new insurance plan. Kinda ended prematurely after a woman nearly in tears asked if she was seriously going to have to pay $500 a month for her sick son's medications to cover the $3000 deductible. (She would still need to pay $100 a month after since prescriptions are 20% coinsurance.)

People immediately just started dropping the call, I assume out of disgust. I'm now in another training call that's on mute and just staring blankly at my wall.

Acuity? I've posted about the same bullshit happening to us.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sounds like it's time to find another job, since they cut your compensation pretty significantly.

I mean, don't need to quit tomorrow, keep drawing a paycheck while you job hunt, but gently caress knows in your shoes I'd be shooting off resumes everywhere .

Been looking for a while, just being picky. Currently doing a couple hours of work a day and home four days a week, most openings right now are for running the entire accounting operation on a clerk's salary and MUST BE IN OFFICE YOU LAZY gently caress.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Acuity? I've posted about the same bullshit happening to us.

Nah but I think this is going to happen everywhere, It's a quick way to slash spending.

Actually heard someone try to defend this poo poo with "Well you'll be paying less for the plan!" I'll pay ten dollars less per pay period and will have to pay $120 each for my therapy appointments next month, completely wiping out the "savings."

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Critical posted:

Been looking for a while, just being picky. Currently doing a couple hours of work a day and home four days a week, most openings right now are for running the entire accounting operation on a clerk's salary and MUST BE IN OFFICE YOU LAZY gently caress.

Nah but I think this is going to happen everywhere, It's a quick way to slash spending.

Actually heard someone try to defend this poo poo with "Well you'll be paying less for the plan!" I'll pay ten dollars less per pay period and will have to pay $120 each for my therapy appointments next month, completely wiping out the "savings."

I wouldn't be surprised. As mentioned above, our benefits manager justified it as "we couldn't keep premiums the same with the old plan, so we took this approach to save everyone money" while admitting it's worse coverage. Unsurprisingly couldn't get an answer out of them for how much of a difference per employee we were talking about, especially when I was able to cite our old provider's rate for continuing coverage without the company paying...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Critical posted:

most openings right now are for running the entire accounting operation on a clerk's salary

Nobody wants to work anymore...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cthulu Carl posted:

Because the team that puts together the image we put on our PCs seems to refuse to do any QA (so basic things like the VPN, or even the ability to install software stop working), we've had to start finding new and interesting pieces of software to help us unfuck things.

Yesterday, my boss got an email from Information Security demanding an explanation for why we were using one of these new and interesting pieces of software. Maybe the 'dialogue' my boss opened as he grinned evilly while typing a reply will get the responsible team to start being responsible. Or maybe we'll get a bunch of rights revoked and won't be able to unfuck out computers anymore. Either way, it'll make less work for us.

Yeah I've run into this, except the software they objected to was the IDE I needed to do my job for a government contract. Eventually my boss crashed through the ceiling of the Info Sec office to carve "WE ARE CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED TO USE THIS SOFTWARE" into their skulls with a flaming sword. In the mean time: shadow IT.

My prescriptions have gotten three times as expensive since I started my latest job. Except the actually expensive one, which is now 2/3 less. I come out ahead by like sixty bucks a month, but what the hell.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 10, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Critical posted:

Holy cow way to permanently wreck morale. The hit to productivity from upset employees and the inevitable job vacancies/restaffing costs will easily outweigh the insurance savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lots of new hires on trimmed wages who don't know any better. Win win.