Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ok I’ll ask the obvious followup…. Why aren’t they just the njpw world belts or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Captain Foo posted:

Ok I’ll ask the obvious followup…. Why aren’t they just the njpw world belts or whatever

Because kayfabe isn't quite dead in Japan in quite the same way it is in the US. You know in boxing you have the WBF & WBA & all these other sanctioning bodies with their own world titles? Wrestling kind of runs off that idea. So the International Wrestling Grand Prix is the sanctioning authority of New Japan, & PWF is the sanctioning body of All Japan, & GHC for NOAH. (The PWF Heavyweight Title is one of the 3 belts that were unified to make up the Triple Crown, along with NWA International Heavyweight Championship & NWA United National Championship, & the Junior Title is still the PWF World Junior Heavyweight Championship, although most people just say AJPW Junior Title these days.

It's the illusion that the governing body in charge of the titles isn't just the company themselves.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I didn't know that, that's fun. I like that sort of little detail to make it feel more 'real', even as all the ludicrous wrestling stuff happens.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Super No Vacancy posted:

there wasnt really a significant falling out with roh, njpw was still theoretically loyal to roh through the first couple years of aew's existence. its just that coincided with covid and the irrelevance of roh

Wasn't there a New Japan/ROH falling out after the MSG show where ROH had Enzo & Cass show up and do a shoot-style run-in without telling New Japan about it? Or did that end up being overblown reporting and not a huge deal? (it seemed like a huge deal at the time, especially with that GoD promo afterward making GBS threads on the ROH Tag Titles)

forkboy84 posted:

Because kayfabe isn't quite dead in Japan in quite the same way it is in the US. You know in boxing you have the WBF & WBA & all these other sanctioning bodies with their own world titles? Wrestling kind of runs off that idea. So the International Wrestling Grand Prix is the sanctioning authority of New Japan, & PWF is the sanctioning body of All Japan, & GHC for NOAH. (The PWF Heavyweight Title is one of the 3 belts that were unified to make up the Triple Crown, along with NWA International Heavyweight Championship & NWA United National Championship, & the Junior Title is still the PWF World Junior Heavyweight Championship, although most people just say AJPW Junior Title these days.

It's the illusion that the governing body in charge of the titles isn't just the company themselves.

I always wondered about this as well but assumed it as a governing body thing and just never bothered to look it up. This is neat!

It does get a little funny when you have titles in New Japan that are IWGP and non-IWGP; I think the NEVER belts aren't IWGP Titles, right?

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 10, 2022

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh yeah i did forget about enzo and cass lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

forkboy84 posted:

Oh gotcha thanks! That’s kinda cool

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

So I was listening to B&V and they referenced a previous falling out with AEW and New Japan and I was unaware of this. I knew about the ROH/New Japan fall out stemming somewhat from their joint show, but what happened with AEW?

NJPW were mad that The Bucks and Cody announced AEW on WK weekend (they filmed it in front of the Dome even) and tapped up a bunch of their wrestlers to sign with them. The Bucks were/(are?) mad that after being with NJPW for years, they didn't get a proper send off at New Year's Dash.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Harold Meij peaked with his debut video of him showering and it was all downhill from there

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

NJPW were mad that The Bucks and Cody announced AEW on WK weekend (they filmed it in front of the Dome even) and tapped up a bunch of their wrestlers to sign with them. The Bucks were/(are?) mad that after being with NJPW for years, they didn't get a proper send off at New Year's Dash.

And that New Japan's offer to them sucked but they kind of expected that.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Meij pretty much got the job because he said “why not make a Tanahashi teddy bear” and it, unsurprisingly, sold gigantic numbers.

I wish I was even joking (okay so him having successfully saved Tonka from bankruptcy and being a good stead for Coca-Cola Japan probably also helped). But Kidani always pointed out the teddy bear thing when asked why he went with such a surprising choice.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

And that New Japan's offer to them sucked but they kind of expected that.

Yeah, I think if it was just a case of New Japan lowballing them, it wouldn't have been a really big issue.

The Cameo posted:

Meij pretty much got the job because he said “why not make a Tanahashi teddy bear” and it, unsurprisingly, sold gigantic numbers.

I wish I was even joking (okay so him having successfully saved Tonka from bankruptcy and being a good stead for Coca-Cola Japan probably also helped). But Kidani always pointed out the teddy bear thing when asked why he went with such a surprising choice.

I've met a few people who've either worked for Meij or have seen him speak at conferences and they always speak about him in the most glowing terms. I guess another case of being really good at dealing with regular people doesn't necessarily transfer to dealing with pro wrestlers.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I often wonder if Kenny would have at least signed a Mox style split deal if New Japan let the Bucks have a farewell at Dash

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I often wonder if Kenny would have at least signed a Mox style split deal if New Japan let the Bucks have a farewell at Dash
His AEW contract left the option open. It seems like what Mox did was secure his NJPW bookings before anyone knew he signed with AEW. (I still haven't read his book; dunno if it's discussed there.)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

his book is a really good read

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Another stumbling block was that Tony sent AEW first employee and stats guy Chris Harrington to negotiate in his stead, which is apparently a big no no in Japanese business culture.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Another stumbling block was that Tony sent AEW first employee and stats guy Chris Harrington to negotiate in his stead, which is apparently a big no no in Japanese business culture.

Yeah I forgot about this but yeah sending mookie to negotiate with Sugabayashi et al didn't go over well

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

fez_machine posted:

Didn’t know that, it would definitely be a slight for sure if Khan knew who NJPW was sending to the meeting.

And yes, only once the old IWGP Heavyweight belt (aka the good one) and the IWGP Intercontinental belt merge did NJPW have something called a World Championship, for the first time in the company’s history.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dave at the time said tony would/could never go to japan himself and why is the #1 unsolved mystery of aew

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

dave at the time said tony would/could never go to japan himself and why is the #1 unsolved mystery of aew

Being fuelled by cocaine would probably prevent that

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

anyone else remember the completely bizarre EVOLVE stadium tour in china

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

anyone else remember the completely bizarre EVOLVE stadium tour in china

Yes because Fite would show clips from it before, after and during the intermission of shows

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yes because Chuck Taylor or Johnny Gargano (I forget which) made a doc of them going on that tour and put it on their YouTube.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

karmicknight posted:

Yes because Chuck Taylor or Johnny Gargano (I forget which) made a doc of them going on that tour and put it on their YouTube.

That was the Kentucky Gentleman.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
Are there any notable examples of a defending champion losing their belt in a triple threat because one challenger pinned the other? I know this is brought up a lot as a possibility but I'm struggling to think of examples of it happening. I'm sure I'm forgetting something completely obvious

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

Are there any notable examples of a defending champion losing their belt in a triple threat because one challenger pinned the other? I know this is brought up a lot as a possibility but I'm struggling to think of examples of it happening. I'm sure I'm forgetting something completely obvious

I think Kurt Angle lost one of his belts in a Triple Threat at WM with Jericho and [redacted]. He had to defend both the IC belt and Euro, and I think Benoit pinned or tapped Jericho in the first fall.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think Kurt Angle lost one of his belts in a Triple Threat at WM with Jericho and [redacted]. He had to defend both the IC belt and Euro, and I think Benoit pinned or tapped Jericho in the first fall.

It was both; two falls to decide the winner of each belt. Jericho beat Benoit to win the European title in the first fall, then Benoit beat Jericho in the second fall to win the IC title.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

does anyone know the 1st match to have the chair swordfighting spot? I watched Dan Severn vs tarzan goto (great match https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMdZxUd8lC4) and they do it in 95 but its probably way older.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Without doing any research, I feel like that probably had to have happened in WCW and TNA.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

this just happened in new japan last month to get the belt from tana to juice robinson while letting another person(will ospreay) take the pin

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Roddy Piper and Rick Martel had a chair vs atomizer swordfight and that was 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7GPS4Hf0e0

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 12, 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Mostly, yes. But there are also the NEVER Openweight & NEVER 6 Man Tag Titles which aren't "sanctioned" by the IWGP. NEVER was a sub-brand of New Japan, which ran shows in the small Shinkiba 1stRING venue, & was a place for their youngers to get some more time in the ring & face some outsiders. Except by the time the NEVER Openweight Title tournament was over (won by Masato Tanaka), they would never run another NEVER show again. The shows look super fun on paper,

Also, it's an acronym. "New Blood", "Evolution", "Valiantly", "Eternal", and "Radical". Yeah, I dunno either.

I wish they'd run those shows again, them or the later iteration, Lion's Gate Project. Made for some really cool little shows.

As I recall, NEVER was meant to be sort of like a developmental territory or something wasn't it? Like, the titles that were put on the promising guys that were pretty much freshly graduated from Young Lion status.

I also recall some sort of conflict which saw one of the biggun's from back in the day get pushed out of NJPW as a result of some arguments that stemmed from this sort of thing (I want to say it was Hashimoto?).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

As I recall, NEVER was meant to be sort of like a developmental territory or something wasn't it? Like, the titles that were put on the promising guys that were pretty much freshly graduated from Young Lion status.

If that was the intent it didn't even last past the first tourney what with Masato Tanaka winning it

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

NEVER was meant to be for both young New Japan wrestlers and outside wrestlers, so Tanaka winning the title once it got one two years in made sense.

Then it got on Ishii and became the 'gently caress It, just hit people hard' belt.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

rare Magic card l00k posted:

NEVER was meant to be for both young New Japan wrestlers and outside wrestlers, so Tanaka winning the title once it got one two years in made sense.

Then it got on Ishii and became the 'gently caress It, just hit people hard' belt.

And the NEVER 6-Man Tag became the "gently caress it, New Japan doesn't have a trios division" belt.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

edogawa rando posted:

I also recall some sort of conflict which saw one of the biggun's from back in the day get pushed out of NJPW as a result of some arguments that stemmed from this sort of thing (I want to say it was Hashimoto?).

Yeah it was Hash. He was going to (storyline) leave and start a separate fed and feud with NJPW but then got released for real for reasons someone else can explain because I really don't know. He then ended up taking that name/idea and actually starting Zero-One.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Hash got shoot beaten up when Inoki went crazy and decided wrestling is real? Also UFO?! These are just dying neurons acting out into the world before oblivion takes them, don't worry much. Hope this helps

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

EdsTeioh posted:

Yeah it was Hash. He was going to (storyline) leave and start a separate fed and feud with NJPW but then got released for real for reasons someone else can explain because I really don't know. He then ended up taking that name/idea and actually starting Zero-One.

There is so much in pro wrestling I don't gave a clue about and it makes me so sad.

There's a lot irl I don't know about too but who gives a gently caress.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I was watching a random interview and it unlocked the hidden memory of that time WWE tried to make their own social media platform which failed, then jumped on tout for some reason before that failed and finally decided to jump on twitter.

Did they do anything remotely interesting with their social media site to try to draw people[wrestling nerds] on to it? Did they run open interview stuff? contests?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Undertaker lost the belt when The Rock pinned Kurt Angle at Vengeance 2002.

If you wanna count money in the bank cash ins, Seth Rollins pinned Roman Reigns with Brock Lesnar as defending champion at Wrestlemania 31.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Checking into NJPW for Dominion and the G1. I just don't have time to keep up with it all the time. What are some outstanding matches between WK/New Years Dash and Dominion that I should go out of my way to watch?