Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think I managed to assemble a sensible modlist. Now fingers crossed that nothing explodes horribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

John Murdoch posted:

I think I managed to assemble a sensible modlist. Now fingers crossed that nothing explodes horribly.

May God bless and keep you

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Vanilla Oblivion is... playable. If you know how to deal with leveling BS or its magic system, it can go from 'poo poo, I made some wrong choices 50 hours ago' to 'ok, I think I can endure this game's combat if I completely break it'

And even modding it is more frustrating.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

vanilla oblivion is at least an interestingly bad game (with some genuinely charming quests here and there) whereas skyrim just has absolutely no soul to it that mods will never really save. but i'll still keep playing that garbage

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Dongicus posted:

vanilla oblivion is at least an interestingly bad game (with some genuinely charming quests here and there) whereas skyrim just has absolutely no soul to it that mods will never really save. but i'll still keep playing that garbage

i tried playing a couple weeks ago. I wanted to experience it unmolested, a complete fresh install.

The hayride bugged out and I had to google to figure out why (The FPS was uncapped and hosed with the scripting).

It's funny after how many years and re-releases the game wouldn't run without capping the framerate. After I fixed it I did the intro again and then got worried that it bugged out and didn't let me assign major/minor skills. I had forgotten they just removed that part.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

they never really got the hang of fps stuff lol. fallout 4 released with animation speed tied to its framerate lol

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://kotaku.com/bethesda-zenimax-fallout-76-crunch-development-1849033233

Really good article about Bethesda culture. It's obviously more relevant to Fallout 76, but the same people that make the Scrolls game made F76.

I thought they were supposed to be one of the rare good ones that didn't crunch. Apparently, I was wrong.

The report says Fallout 76's development was particularly rough on testers, who worked 10-hour days, six days a week, in the months leading up to release. The situation unfortunately did not improve when the game went live, as it was wracked with bugs and missing a number of basic features. That brought grotesque but predictable gamer rage into the equation: One tester told the site about a bug report that said, "I am going to take a gun and go to the QA department and shoot all of them."

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I knew Emil Pagliarulo was a fucker! Your Dark Brotherhood quests are overrated! Hack!

“While we had experienced multiplayer designers [in both Rockville and Austin], they were routinely sidelined and ignored,” said a source formerly at Bethesda Game Studios Rockville. “During development, our design director Emil [Pagliarulo] didn’t seem to want to be involved with the product at all. He didn’t want to have any contact with it…or read anything that we put in front of him.”

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

anyone recommend a good mod list/guide for morrowind? played it 5000 times before and now i wanna try out tamriel rebuilt and stuff like it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We grabbed YAJAN off of Wabbajack and then added a few extras like Tamriel Rebuilt. It's far and away the easiest and stablest Morrowind install I've had since being in high school and being able to spend whole weekends modding. Main catch is it included Ashfall, which I like but survival mods aren't everyone's jam.

Being able to just mindlessly click through and end up with a working heavily modded Morrowind is incredible. It crashes due to lack of memory after several hours but that's stable as hell by TES standards lol.

e: also the hair and faces it adds vary from being in the grody vanilla Morrowind style to being beautiful anime poo poo, but making your character is one-and-done, and you don't see npcs walking around looking like Sephiroth as far as I've seen.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 9, 2022

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

New oblivion mod for more junk (I like more junk)

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/52084?tab=description

Artifacts Remastered
Adds 400+ items to leveled lists from trollf's 2009 mod "Artifacts." Superior FPS, performance-friendly Collector's Society, and a massive spread of 19 amulets, 50 sets of armor, 9 sets of clothes, 3 potions, 33 robes, 6 staffs, 6 lights, and over 300+ weapons. Original mod NOT required!

Go find them on NPCs, in containers, and from vend

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Trillhouse posted:

I knew Emil Pagliarulo was a fucker! Your Dark Brotherhood quests are overrated! Hack!

“While we had experienced multiplayer designers [in both Rockville and Austin], they were routinely sidelined and ignored,” said a source formerly at Bethesda Game Studios Rockville. “During development, our design director Emil [Pagliarulo] didn’t seem to want to be involved with the product at all. He didn’t want to have any contact with it…or read anything that we put in front of him.”
I dislike the direction BGS's writing has taken since Emil became The Guy, but speaking as his lawyer:
1. after Rolston, he had some impossible shoes to fill
2. all the sources in the article were anonymous, so it's possible not everything in there is true
3. the dark brotherhood quests in Oblivion are like the only example of Emil's writing that i think is actually good

To be honest i guess i look at Emil as like an Elmer Gantry figure, where he had a hit at a young age with the TES4 DB questline, so now he just keeps re-incorporating the same key elements of that over and over in all his projects. I'll be very frustrated if Starfield winds up with yet another "Oh, you wanna be the man? Well then you gotta betray all the friends who got you there hotshot haha i guess war never changes" theme

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In Oblivion the dark brotherhood has a big deal about betrayal, in Skyrim DB has a "big" deal about betrayal.
In Oblivion the thieves' guild is about getting rid of Nocturnal's curse (the cowl), in Skyrim TG is about getting rid of Nocturnal's curse.
In Oblivion the fighter's guild deal with a hostile organization trying to destroy them, in Skyrim the companions' deal with a hostile organization trying to destroy them.
In Oblivion the mage's guild has a powerful individual who wants to crush them, in Skyrim MG has a powerful individual who wants to crush them.

Hmmm, it doesn't quite work. But it does kinda feels like crappier and sloppier echoes of the previous ones.

Trillhouse posted:

One tester told the site about a bug report that said, "I am going to take a gun and go to the QA department and shoot all of them."
Shouldn't they have involved the police with that since it's someone making death threats and mass shooting?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In the best one, the Fighters Guild has a rival organization trying to destroy them, except it's the Thieves Guild who you can join and everything is way more fun that way, also the Thieves are just criminals not a weird religious cult. Azura bless you Morrowind.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The fighter’s guild in Oblivion has some really weak quests.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Different factions being in conflict and having quests that contradict each other is something they should 100% bring back (and won't).

Every single faction questline just being its own cordoned off storyline with no real interaction except with no non-playable factions gets tired.

They should also revive factions having skill requirements for advancement so a dumb as rocks Orc Barbarian can't become the arch-mage or someone who can't pick a lock can't become head honcho of the thieves guild.

I understand why they did away with it. It probably takes away some of the urgency of a questline when the quest giver goes "Wait. I know the Bad Guys are about to do Bad Thing at any moment and we desperately need to stop them but your armorer skill isn't high enough to advance your rank and take them on."

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 10, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In the best one, the Fighters Guild has a rival organization trying to destroy them, except it's the Thieves Guild who you can join and everything is way more fun that way, also the Thieves are just criminals not a weird religious cult. Azura bless you Morrowind.

The Morrowind fighter's guild also has an internal conflict due to some shady dealings with the Camonna Tong, a criminal syndicate that deals in slave trading. And the thieves' guild is tolerated by the Imperial occupation because it's disrupting the indigenous criminal underworld.

I was disappointed that Skyrim didn't do more with the civil war :sigh:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

Different factions being in conflict and having quests that contradict each other is something they should 100% bring back (and won't).

Every single faction questline just being its own cordoned off storyline with no real interaction except with no non-playable factions gets tired.

They should also revive factions having skill requirements for advancement so a dumb as rocks Orc Barbarian can't become the arch-mage or someone who can't pick a lock can't become head honcho of the thieves guild.

I understand why they did away with it. It probably takes away some of the urgency of a questline when the quest giver goes "Wait. I know the Bad Guys are about to do Bad Thing at any moment and we desperately need to stop them but your armorer skill isn't high enough to advance your rank and take them on."

I'd really like if only certain factions had skill requirements. Mages are the most obvious example, you should have to actually do magic. But why would the thieves care if you use a spell or a physical lockpick as long as you can steal poo poo?

Fruits of the sea posted:

The Morrowind fighter's guild also has an internal conflict due to some shady dealings with the Camonna Tong, a criminal syndicate that deals in slave trading. And the thieves' guild is tolerated by the Imperial occupation because it's disrupting the indigenous criminal underworld.

I was disappointed that Skyrim didn't do more with the civil war :sigh:

Imperials vs Stormcloaks is more popular than the actual main quest. When Hammerfell comes out in 2034 I hope they do some crowns vs forebears vs thalmor poo poo instead of a saving the world. And let me make a smug altmer and join the dang thalmor.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 10, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm cool with not becoming the leader of every guild I join

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah my first Morrowind character was a Orc Barbarian who was in the bottom wrung of the thieves guild for the sole purpose of getting rid of bounties if I ever needed to.

Did maybe two quests.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm cool with not becoming the leader of every guild I join

I am the leader of every guild and the undisputed chosen one with the spirit of a dragon.

Middle merchants still give me attitude :mad:

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Ok but don't forget vilja
https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/28977

And also she needs a place to live

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/37842

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don't really get on with companion mods but the story behind Vilja's creation is so heartbreakingly sweet and sad.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Poil posted:

In Oblivion the dark brotherhood has a big deal about betrayal, in Skyrim DB has a "big" deal about betrayal.
In Oblivion the thieves' guild is about getting rid of Nocturnal's curse (the cowl), in Skyrim TG is about getting rid of Nocturnal's curse.
In Oblivion the fighter's guild deal with a hostile organization trying to destroy them, in Skyrim the companions' deal with a hostile organization trying to destroy them.
In Oblivion the mage's guild has a powerful individual who wants to crush them, in Skyrim MG has a powerful individual who wants to crush them.

Hmmm, it doesn't quite work. But it does kinda feels like crappier and sloppier echoes of the previous ones.
So, one or both of us might not be 100% right on what Emil wrote for what. My understanding is that Rolston was the lead design on Oblivion. Emil, as a junior designer, probably touched a lot of things but the only big chunk he could take credit for specifically was the DB questline, which can be summed up as:
Make friends with cool + funny people, mutual trust and appreciation all around (even that bastard khajiit guy likes you at the end), and the final mission is to fight and kill all of them to become #1 Dude.
After Rolston and others left, Emil became lead writer and wrote Skyrim's main quest and civil war quest, which as a stormcloak can be summed up as:
Make friends with cool people, mutual trust and appreciation all around, and to be #1 Stormcloak Dude, sack Whiterun, fight Balgruuf and Irileth, then sack Solitude and fight those guys too.
Then Emil wrote Fallout 4's main quest which as a Railroad supporter can be summed up as:
Make friends with cool + funny people, mutual trust and appreciation all around, and then to free all the slaves, you have to blow up the Brotherhood zeppelin (which has literal children on board you can talk to), blow up the Institute killing god knows how many people (including your own loving son), and cause the Railroad's plant in the institute to commit suicide because why not.

The guy just seems to be driving home the same theme over and over, except raising the total amount of assholery you have to do in order to play through to a conclusion. Starfield probably winds up with you blowing up a whole planet or something. Figure out a new trick, Pagliarulo

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

I don't really get on with companion mods but the story behind Vilja's creation is so heartbreakingly sweet and sad.

Pretty much why I keep her around yeah

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Pagliarulo also did the Arena quests in Oblivion, though he obviously doesn't mention that one often.

Make friends with the The Gray Prince, mutual trust and appreciation all around, the final mission he gives up and lets you kill him without fighting back after you find out his dad was a vampire.

Then you get The Adoring Fan!

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
Haha holy poo poo I had no idea he did that one too. Jesus.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally did the collector quest where you need to find ten old statues in ruins for the first time ever. The positive side of it was that I found more varla stones than I knew existed and barrel loads of the lesser stones. Also finished the follow up quest but unfortunately I had given him the wrong hat so he ended up giving himself the electric chair treatment. Oh, well. At least I got that other treasure hunter as he tried to leave. Just business? Killing is my business so have fun in the void you backstabbing prick.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Welp, only took an hour or so of playtime for something to cock up. Turns out the leveling fix I was using because I thought it was the most simple and hassle free is actually hilariously fragile and breaks the second anything else touches attributes, ever, at all. Like the gender equality and retroactive HP mods I also have going.

Thankfully, it turns out Ultimate Leveling really does live up to its name and after some tinkering it will do exactly what I'm looking for with the only downside being it will happily let me dump points into Luck, but I think I'm okay with just using the honor system there and not worrying about it too much.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

There is an option that prevents you from increasing luck, you have to find golden horse shoes instead (if i understand what you are saying)

Edit: you may find this useful, idk

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/50144

Barnum Brown Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 11, 2022

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Does anyone know how to make the summondaedra console command in Daggerfall unity actually work? Went to the coven on Mehrunes’ Dagons summoning day and got a “Dagon does not deign to appear” and I can never seem to get Dagon to pop up on off days from the RNG. When I summon daedra with the console command the actual quest target never spawns where they’re supposed to be.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
You'll wait for his summoning day like the rest of us and by Azura, you'll like it.:wal:

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
There's also Witch coven roulette. It's a random daedra every time and I don't know if save scumming works.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Trillhouse posted:

INB4 he leaves the company after Starfield because of general stress from being the literal only major writer under bethesda's roof.

I am excited for Starfield because bethesda's the only major company that actually gives their games mod support. (EDIT: Praxis does too.)

Dishonored 2 would've been the perfect game if they'd figured out an SDK for it...fingers crossed for 3 to be different.

EDIT: Actually, Skyrim had 3 major writers or something I think, probably Fallout 4 as well. But he DOES seem to be in charge of most of the questlines there. Perhaps a difference between quest design and actual dialogue writing needs to be noted. And was the extremely bored and lazy design director of one of the worst games ever made. He's been there for ten years. Wouldn't be surprised if Starfield is his swan song. Or TES6. Or Starfield 2. After that...

I'm surprised they treat him so well, Rhianna Pratchett is literally Rhianna loving Pratchett, yet EVERY company that hired her treated her horribly. Rewrote her plot for Mirror's Edge, forced her to write a lovely parent's plotline for Tomb Raider, made her write for games that had the simplest stories in video gaming. It says a lot that the "Feminist Icon" Lara Croft's main writer was forced by a bunch of male fat cats to enforce the idea that her entire motivation is based around her boring (probably racist) dad. Frankly, she should just quit writing for Video Games, and NEVER look back. It sucks.

Meanwhile, Todd's been relaying on this one guy for years and never critiques or questions his writing, just "yeah, sure, that makes sense, just as long as the QA team doesn't ruin it with b u g t e s t i n g, like they always try to do, UGH!"

(Probably not what actually happens.)

It sounds like a dream job. I'd KILL to have it (this is a joke, please don't quote this during the trial), but I doubt it's one someone keeps going almost over 15 years later. You gotta get bored of it, eventually. Maybe he'll dick off to become a novelist, wouldn't be the first bethesda employee to do that.

TheNamedSavior fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 12, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

There is an option that prevents you from increasing luck, you have to find golden horse shoes instead (if i understand what you are saying)

Edit: you may find this useful, idk

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/50144

Oh, I'm aware of Ultimate Leveling's other Luck options, but honestly I find none of them to be particularly compelling and they go too far afield of vanilla behavior for my liking. My problem is that there's no way within UL to force the vanilla 5/5/1 behavior where increasing Luck "eats" a full attribute bonus to increment by 1. I think the only viable solution barring some under the hood way to dynamically modify unspent attribute points from UL is to invest the 5 points into Luck, then immediately use the console to correct to the proper value. Well either that or temporarily change the raw number of attribute points per level back to the default 11 when I start leveling Luck. Edit: Actually, doing either of these but especially the latter might be disastrous due to another function with UL that failsafes against incorrect attribute values.

After doing some digging I found a 2 year old discussion post asking for precisely what I'm after and Maskar mentions looking into it for the next update, so welp.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 12, 2022

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Happy Underpants posted:

There's also Witch coven roulette. It's a random daedra every time and I don't know if save scumming works.

How’s that work? Just fast travel from one coven to the next? Any coven works?

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Every outdoor coven except the Glenmoril Coven. They summon a random daedra lord every day. So try every day until you get the one you want. Sheogorath might show up instead.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

TheNamedSavior posted:

INB4 he leaves the company after Starfield because of general stress from being the literal only major writer under bethesda's roof.

I am excited for Starfield because bethesda's the only major company that actually gives their games mod support. (EDIT: Praxis does too.)

Dishonored 2 would've been the perfect game if they'd figured out an SDK for it...fingers crossed for 3 to be different.

EDIT: Actually, Skyrim had 3 major writers or something I think, probably Fallout 4 as well. But he DOES seem to be in charge of most of the questlines there. Perhaps a difference between quest design and actual dialogue writing needs to be noted. And was the extremely bored and lazy design director of one of the worst games ever made. He's been there for ten years. Wouldn't be surprised if Starfield is his swan song. Or TES6. Or Starfield 2. After that...

What game was one of the worst ever made?

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
With the daggerfall covens, is there any benefit to going back to one coven every new day or am I rerolling the same way by fast traveling from one coven to the next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I don't think there should be a difference. I haven't messed with witches that much in unity though so tell me how it goes.