Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

How about both go delete channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Annointed posted:

How about both go delete Channels.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The stinky man

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I like a "keeping virtually no tabs on these situations" approach. Like, I see it come up and feel like all I really need to know is in a video's title most of the time.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
There is clearly a worse side in this debacle and its clearly QuantumTV.
But leave it to this thread to get sidetracked about a Wendigoon I guess!

edit: For a moment I thought those tweets were from QuantumTV and not Actman.
Alright geez. Guess its a case of a terrible person going against a terrible person.

(still, dont threaten their mother for pete's sake)

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 10, 2022

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o17lBUZgjTs

Good breakdown of Diablo Immortal and how it's a nice game marred by a absurdly predatory lootbox system.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i dont know who those people are but they shouldnt be able to make money from gossiping about each other lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Archer666 posted:

Good breakdown of Diablo Immortal and how it's a nice game marred by a absurdly predatory lootbox system.
"the only reason I remember your name is because it's above your head while you're dying" is such a powerful line

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Beffica posted:

In regards to this Act Man situation, I found this poo poo way too easy to find for it not to have come up already in the discussion when bringing up receipts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFS_HsBgqz4

kay, gently caress him too, it changes nothing about the topic though?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archer666 posted:

So is it true that when you beat a boss you have a limited chance to buy the loot box it drops with real money and if not, oh well?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

So is it true that when you beat a boss you have a limited chance to buy the loot box it drops with real money and if not, oh well?

Yes and no.

To be clear this isn't in any way a defense of the game because what I'm describing is pretty drat bad.

From what I've seen, when you kill a boss for the first time, the game uses it as an opportunity to hit you with a pop-up ad. Like you kill the skeleton king, he drops normal boss loot, but then also an ad shows up like "hey! You killed that boss. Wanna buy a discounted bundle of cash shop items?" So it's not really the "boss's loot" you're having to pay for. That stage of the game is when they're still trying to sucker you into thinking you can have fun for free.

However, the game does do what you're describing, just in a different order. When you do rifts, you can use "legendary crests" when you create the rift dungeon, and the more you use, the better loot you get at the end. You get very, very few legendary crests for free, but you can buy them with real money. The difference between a rift with no crests and a rift with a lot of them is gigantic. No crests = no bonus loot, no legendary gems, nothing. Lots of crests = a fountain of legendaries.

Please forgive the Asmongold video but this is the best 45-second clip to illustrate the difference I could find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RWh6cxDKHY

The "best" part? That fountain of legendaries you see there? Most of them are trash. Legendary gems have a star rating from 1 to 5 stars and the vast majority of gems you get will be 1 or 2 star. If you do get a gem that could be 5 stars, it's probably going to start as a 1 or 2 star gem that you then have to upgrade with even more resources. As one streamer found, you can spend hundreds of dollars over $10,000 without seeing a single 5-star gem.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 10, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

However the loot boxes that you get from bosses do go up in price the further you get. The first one is $.99, the second is $1.99 and the third is $4.99

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just wanted to share this because I think it's really impressive. The work on making the visuals match up, the song changing lyrics but still syncing up with the original, Hyper Potions did the guitar in the background, the animator herself does the singing. It's just a really impressive little parody:

For context, here is the intro to The Ghost and Molly McGee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-9N-Ycr8U8

And here is a Doki Doki Literature Club parody of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApX1WNU5hok

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I always feel kinda rude when I immediately dump another video link after a post with their own links.

But not enough to stop myself.

Here's good old thoughtslime talking about Cybersix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DAN2VJKa_k

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh hell yea, cybersix rules

i'd love to see thought slime recommend more animation but i assume that's not really a large interest for them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cybersix is bizarre when you lay it out but it comes together quite well. French/Canadian/Japanese sorta not quite anime based on Argentine comics. Quite the spread.

Plus Six has a brother who is a human brain shoved into a Panther who hunts evil nazi science experiments.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

The 7th Guest posted:

oh hell yea, cybersix rules

i'd love to see thought slime recommend more animation but i assume that's not really a large interest for them

I just want so many more deep dives into semi-obscure Canadian kids media from the early 90s-mid 2000s. Like, give me a video breaking down the history of early YTV and all the bizarre interstitial segments that were thrown together by a bunch of 20 somethings with no budget or executive oversight. Give me a video about how Marathon Media Group and Image Entertainment Corporation came together to turn an Italian adult comic book about a guy investigating supernatural mysteries with an unfrozen caveman into an animesque kids cartoon with weirdly incestuous overtones. Fill my eyeholes with a documentary of the creation and production of Uh-Oh, a game show where contestants were doused in "You Can't Do That on Television" style slime by an angry man in a gimp costume named "The Punisher".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You're giving me some serious flashbacks. I remember the slime but not the gimp.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Oh the gimp was definitely there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p85dw5E3EI

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There was also a show that was literally just kids playing N64 games with color commentary over stuff like Pokémon Snap.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Video and Arcade Top Ten!! :hellyeah:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Beffica posted:

In regards to this Act Man situation, I found this poo poo way too easy to find for it not to have come up already in the discussion when bringing up receipts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFS_HsBgqz4

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheActMan_YT/status/1522320291099148288

He claims to have changed his beliefs since then and doesn't appear to tweet like that anymore...up to individual judgment whether he's sincere or CYAing.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Video and Arcade Top Ten!! :hellyeah:

That show was awesome.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Oh heck yeah, Video and Arcade Top 10 was the best! I have distinct memories of how that show went awry when the Virtual Boy came out because their go-to strategy for capturing game footage up to that point was to point a camera at the tv someone was playing the game on, but that only worked properly about 50% of the time with the Virtual Boy's built-in headset, so half the time footage of Virtual Boy games would just cut out to blurry footage of people ambling around the tv studio as seen through a pair of VR goggles.

A few other Canadian nostalgia trips:
- Multiple, separate PSAs warning kids not to just shove random things they find into their mouths.
- A recurring character called "Elvays" who showed up in the interstitial host segments in the late 90s. He was an actual bust of Elvis with the mouth of one of the hosts doing an unidentifiable (And completely un-Elvis sounding) accent superimposed over it, Clutch Cargo style
- Yvon of the Yukon, a cartoon about a 16th century French explorer who fell overboard in the artic ocean and was then thawed out in the modern day Yukon by a huskie peeing on him.
- Big Wolf on Campus: A comedic take on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer formula from the early 2000s about the captain of the local high school football team being attacked by a werewolf and using his newfound werewolf powers to fight supernatural crime alongside the local goth dweeb.
- The House Hippos, a faux-documentary PSA about a species of mouse-sized hippopotami that live in people's houses that was ostensibly supposed to teach kids not to believe everything they see on TV
- ASTAR, the Robot from Planet Danger, the star of a PSA for the War Amps that taught kids...Not to get their arms accidentally chopped off, I guess?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I AM ASTAR A ROBOT FROM PLANET DANGER I CAN PUT MY ARM BACK ON YOU CANT SO PLAY SAFE.

Concerned Children's Advertisers and War Amps had a lot of weird PSAs. I remember the "everybody's good at something" commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjTEGclEhrc

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 10, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

That show was awesome.

Sometimes I randomly wonder what Nicholas Picholas is up to these days... I mean aside from having the best name ever.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The only thing I remember about YTV specifically (as in I remember a bunch of shows I watched but that’s different) is they changed the between show segments in the time slot I watched them a lot from a woman with a raccoon puppet (I think?????) sidekick to just a couple of boring people and I was both upset and confused by it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

YTV loving ruled

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

I just want so many more deep dives into semi-obscure Canadian kids media from the early 90s-mid 2000s. Like, give me a video breaking down the history of early YTV and all the bizarre interstitial segments that were thrown together by a bunch of 20 somethings with no budget or executive oversight. Give me a video about how Marathon Media Group and Image Entertainment Corporation came together to turn an Italian adult comic book about a guy investigating supernatural mysteries with an unfrozen caveman into an animesque kids cartoon with weirdly incestuous overtones. Fill my eyeholes with a documentary of the creation and production of Uh-Oh, a game show where contestants were doused in "You Can't Do That on Television" style slime by an angry man in a gimp costume named "The Punisher".

It's been a while since I watched this, and take this all with a grain of salt because I'm not Canadian, but Nitro Rad made a pretty neat video talking about Canadian kids shows and it also features insights from other Canadian YouTubers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwkkkDtF_5Q

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

The only thing I remember about YTV specifically (as in I remember a bunch of shows I watched but that’s different) is they changed the between show segments in the time slot I watched them a lot from a woman with a raccoon puppet (I think?????) sidekick to just a couple of boring people and I was both upset and confused by it.

That actually happened multiple times: In the first few years following the network's formation the Program Jockeys (Or PJs as they were more frequently called) were accompanied in the between-show interstitial segments by a group of puppets called "The Grogs". This lasted until 1994 when a dispute between the puppets creators and the network over licensing a merchandising rights caused the team to break off its relationship with the network. This was represented to viewers as a special, New Year's Day event in which the network was supposedly taken over by Warren Chester Grog, one of the most prominent of the Grog puppets, who was eventually thwarted by the actions of the PJs. The Grogs' creators would go on to create the children's show Nanalan' and the pre-teen to teen focused show Mr. Meaty for Nickelodeon.

Pictured above: The Grogs and their creators

Following the Grogs' departure, they were replaced by a different set of puppets called the Fuzzpaws in the channel's weekday afternoon and morning segments. Among the cast of Fuzzpaws were Fazz, who was some kind of parrot creature; Archie, who looked like some kind of cat weasel someone fished out of a trash can; Boon, who was a green rat with a 90s slacker persona; Fezz, Fazz's girlfriend who was repeatedly referenced by Fazz in segments before making her on-screen debut; and Clifford, who looked like the offspring of an early Muppet and a Rastafarian stereotype. When YTV spun its preschool-focused shows off onto their own channel (Treehouse TV) the interstitial segments featuring the Fuzzpaws were dropped from the main network and the Fuzzpaws were given their own show on Treehouse TV, alongside a tv show based on a popular recurring act from the segements "PJ Katie's Farm"*. It only ended up lasting 2 seasons.

Pictured: The Fuzzpaws post-spinoff. I believe the the grey-furred ape woman wearing a hat and the bee on a stick were additions for the show.

The weekday afternoon segments (Or The Zone as it was called), would go without puppets for a while following the Grog's departure but would eventually pair host Phil Guerrero up with a new puppet. A frequent feature of the segments in the early days was a CRT monitor they used to play video clips, but during one segment the TV started acting up and had to be sent to the repair shop. A week or so later, when the TV it had been turned into a weird puppet-creature named Snit. Snit was a strange creature that essentially consisted of a CRT monitor covered in a substance that looked like chewed, purple bubblegum with eyes and little robot arms, with the TV screen serving as his "mouth". The puppeteer would hold a pair of fake teeth closely in front of a camera, the footage of which would be projected onto Snit's screen to make him "talk". Human host Phil Guerrero was initially resentful of having to work with another puppet and would frequently steer segments off-topic with weird ad-libs and would frequently mention things about Snit's puppeteer as though Snit and he were the same person (The puppeteer's car came up fairly frequently, with Snit feigning ignorance about what Phil was talking about). Phil has also gone on to state that he was very high when recording a number of segments, which you can really see on review as an adult. Snit would eventually be launched into space sometime around 1997, though he would briefly return for his own weekend morning segment that ran from 1999-2001

Pictured: Snit and PJ "Fresh" Phil

* - PJ Katie's Farm was a nostalgia trip unto itself: It's entire premise was a single person (The titular PJ Katie) narrating and acting out little stories using a series of crude animals she'd made one day out of Crayola Model Magic. This thing had no budget, as demonstrated by one-off and recurring characters including a styrofoam egg Katie got at a craft store, and an actual Danish that was very clearly part of her lunch.

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 10, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Okay for a second I thought you meant the actual Snit puppet got launched into space for some reason

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Oh sure you got all those cool puppets

Meanwhile in my country we got nightmare handpuppets

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DeafNote posted:

Oh sure you got all those cool puppets

Meanwhile in my country we got nightmare handpuppets

Oh no, we have nightmare drug puppets too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Ku6RGlJyk

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

I AM ASTAR A ROBOT FROM PLANET DANGER I CAN PUT MY ARM BACK ON YOU CANT SO PLAY SAFE.

Concerned Children's Advertisers and War Amps had a lot of weird PSAs. I remember the "everybody's good at something" commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjTEGclEhrc

I remember this but had no idea it was a PSA. Also I still want a house hippo. Its real to me, dammit.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I just want to know how Planet Danger came to exist

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I just wanted to share this because I think it's really impressive. The work on making the visuals match up, the song changing lyrics but still syncing up with the original, Hyper Potions did the guitar in the background, the animator herself does the singing. It's just a really impressive little parody:

For context, here is the intro to The Ghost and Molly McGee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-9N-Ycr8U8

And here is a Doki Doki Literature Club parody of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApX1WNU5hok

This is the good stuff. I never seen ghost and molly mcgee but it seems like a fun show for kids.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Danaru posted:

I just want to know how Planet Danger came to exist

It used to be planet Health and Safety but then a lady slipped in the kitchen and melted her face off with scalding water. That was a pretty hosed up PSA series that veered between traumatic and black comedy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Arc Hammer posted:

It used to be planet Health and Safety but then a lady slipped in the kitchen and melted her face off with scalding water. That was a pretty hosed up PSA series that veered between traumatic and black comedy.

:stonk: oh god I had successfully repressed that one

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

I can thank YTV for pretty much all the anime I grew up with in the 90s. Early mornings had Sailor Moon, and I would rush home after school to catch the solid lineup of Pokemon, Digimon, and Monster Rancher, followed by Dragon Ball Z in the evening.

I know I still have the autographs of PJ Katie and Loonette from The Big Comfy Couch in a box somewhere.

Danaru posted:

YTV loving ruled
Context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu-10cQZhXQ

Also wow I didn't know Cybersix only had 13 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

What was the show with Chode the Alien and his fuckbot? That one ruled