Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Other retailers are taking preorders too, I saw it on Target’s app this morning.
As best I can tell, it's still Limited Run distributing the title. Along with Kao, it seems they're starting to do retail distribution for their distribution line. I have no idea how this is going to work in practice or if it's a single print (though I don't think Dotemu would shy away from multiple printings if it sells out).

We'll see how this works. I don't mind LRG like some folks do, but I tend to have to batch my orders to amortize the shipping cost so anything they actually sell through Amazon I can just get free shipping on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LRG has been selling some of their more notable titles through Best Buy for a couple years. They hardly live up to their name these days.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

shredder's revenge is going to own

I am going to own shredder's revenge

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1535329341109829633?s=21&t=R6Ec5kghLJtIKZeocPW6wg

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

LRG has been selling some of their more notable titles through Best Buy for a couple years. They hardly live up to their name these days.
That's different. For a while now Best Buy has been placing orders for LRG titles for resale--just as many independent games stores also do. It's notable because of the quantity of the orders that Best Buy places and their overall availability, but LRG wasn't pushing that relationship.

Here, LRG is approaching Amazon, Target, et al., to sell their wares.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Feels like a game I want digital

Want to beat up the foot clan over and over and over

People don't buy LRG games to play.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's kinda hosed up they print games so people who prefer physical actually have that option for what should be a minor price increase, but it ends up a clusterfuck because they end up mostly being collector items just gathering dust, which defeats the whole point.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Limited Fun Games. stanky publisher

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mega64 posted:

It's kinda hosed up they print games so people who prefer physical actually have that option for what should be a minor price increase, but it ends up a clusterfuck because they end up mostly being collector items just gathering dust, which defeats the whole point.
As always, blame the nerds.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They should sell empty cases for like $5

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The fire emblem warriors new game demo seems very cool and made me realize I really really like three houses. I should go back and play some of the other routes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I’m almost certain they used to

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Aren't they explicitly collector's items? Pretty sure they come with production run number certificates or w/e and all. They gesture a bit towards "physical preservation" (lol) but it's pretty obvious what their actual deal is.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The Bloop posted:

You can already buy empty cases with just a code inside.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They’re literally called “limited run”

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Best Buy does this for some games, if you buy a game digitally from them, they will send you the empty case.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1535329747315486721

Speaking of limited run. Kirby orchestrated music will be executed next March.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's different. For a while now Best Buy has been placing orders for LRG titles for resale--just as many independent games stores also do. It's notable because of the quantity of the orders that Best Buy places and their overall availability, but LRG wasn't pushing that relationship.

Here, LRG is approaching Amazon, Target, et al., to sell their wares.

Best Buy gets their own exclusive covers. Many of the games got released a while after the initial limited run. They just announced their version of the Castlevania Collection, a good while after LRG finished their run. It's absolutely different than mom and pop shops like VGNY buying bulk orders.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Best Buy does this for some games, if you buy a game digitally from them, they will send you the empty case.

This really seems like the best of both worlds

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Palmtree Panic posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1535329747315486721

Speaking of limited run. Kirby orchestrated music will be executed next March.

Classic Nintendo, trying to boost Youtube views with artificial scarcity to maximize profits before the next fiscal quarter.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Mega64 posted:

Classic Nintendo, trying to boost Youtube views with artificial scarcity to maximize profits before the next fiscal quarter.

Nintendo's pulled so many game soundtracks off of YouTube they'll even hit their own channel.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Best Buy gets their own exclusive covers. Many of the games got released a while after the initial limited run. They just announced their version of the Castlevania Collection, a good while after LRG finished their run. It's absolutely different than mom and pop shops like VGNY buying bulk orders.

I'm glad to know this, because now I can get physical games (eventually) for normal prices. But it reminded me that I'm still waiting for my Castlevania switch case to even get a release date months later. :argh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I finally killed my desire to buy LRG games, and expensive limited editions. Before the Nintendo shop killed itself the other day, I had my finger hovering over the XB3 LE. I could have easily afforded it, but I let it go. And I didn't feel bad about it. Maybe I would have done it if I got the XB2 LE years back. I still like collecting JRPGs physically though. Really annoying that I can't completely go digital.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
95% of the time collector’s editions of games are just a way to donate some extra money to the company, all you get for it over the base game will be some cheap plastic trinket and an ‘artbook’ that has 20 pages of promotional images.

A good artbook can be really cool, but the real ones are always sold as a separate product, like the Splatoon or Mario Odyssey ones were.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

95% of the time collector’s editions of games are just a way to donate some extra money to the company

gross

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like the teammates ai in Mario strikers is phenomenoly dumb. I've seen them just sit still and allow the other team to waltz right in. Fifa this is not.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
The Xenoblade 3 special edition has the extra items releasing months after the game comes out.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’m seeing double. Six buttholes!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

95% of the time collector’s editions of games are just a way to donate some extra money to the company, all you get for it over the base game will be some cheap plastic trinket and an ‘artbook’ that has 20 pages of promotional images.

A good artbook can be really cool, but the real ones are always sold as a separate product, like the Splatoon or Mario Odyssey ones were.

The Bravely Second LE is probably the highest quality artbook I've got from one. It could easily have been sold separately for over the price of the LE it was included in. Nicer than some standalone artbooks I've seen.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

True gamers make their own covers.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is it safe to assume a digital sale this weekend-ish?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There’s one on right now in Europeland

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
there's an EU one goin on right now so US might get one soon too

edit: gently caress, looking at the EU one right now and there are some crazy deals. MH:R, Diablo 3, Hades and a shitload more are 50% off, blasphemous is 75% off and even a bunch of first party poo poo is discounted like 25%

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 10, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I bought too many video games in the Euro sale and now I don't want to play any of them. :(

played a bit of OoT today though, that was fine

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ColdPie posted:

People don't buy LRG games to play.

Not only am I gonna do so, I'm also going to lend it.

People play LRG games without buying.

Mega64 posted:

True gamers make their own covers.

Back when FuncoLand was still a thing a friend and I bought a second copy of Metal Gear Solid 2 entirely because it had a custom hand-drawn cover insert.

It was entirely in ballpoint pen.

You might even say it was BiCcin'.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Hammer Bro. posted:

Not only am I gonna do so, I'm also going to lend it.

People play LRG games without buying.

Back when FuncoLand was still a thing a friend and I bought a second copy of Metal Gear Solid 2 entirely because it had a custom hand-drawn cover insert.

It was entirely in ballpoint pen.

You might even say it was BiCcin'.

I was a manager at Gamestop about 15 years ago and I got fired in part because of my insistence on taking this one guy's trade ins that had awesome custom covers, like really high quality fan art. my district manager would get pissed off every time he came in and saw like 30 of them up in a special section i setup for them and told me to stop taking them in. i smiled and nodded every time for about 5 months before i got the boot for being an hour late because of DST

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Need crafting recipe for Super Missiles

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’ve considered buying from LRG in the past because I do prefer physical copies over digital, but I’ve never actually done it. The mark up in price vs digital is usually too much for me, it’s much easier to justify a physical copy when they’re the same price as digital. That being said I’ll probably take the plunge and get a physical copy of the Ninja Turtles game.

I started playing Pokémon Legends Arceus and I take back what I said about graphics in GameFreak games. The graphics are indeed bad, but the gameplay is good enough so far that I don’t care. Can’t wait for the milf and dilf games if they play like this

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Large Testicles posted:

I was a manager at Gamestop about 15 years ago and I got fired in part because of my insistence on taking this one guy's trade ins that had awesome custom covers, like really high quality fan art. my district manager would get pissed off every time he came in and saw like 30 of them up in a special section i setup for them and told me to stop taking them in. i smiled and nodded every time for about 5 months before i got the boot for being an hour late because of DST

Please tell me you have some pictures of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

okay im just going to ask, what are LRG games?