Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
TFL got a Lightning.

They are road tripping it from Detroit to Colorado. Then they will be driving it to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to test how hard it is to get an EV all the way up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldDBwntYklQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

What if the owner is a she?

I fixed my post.

edit: Although, I may add, it has been my experience, at least here at the hospital I work at, the modified cars that are in the dr's parking lot are 100% owned by men. But you're right, it could be a she, I'd put money on it not though.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Saw my car's cousin at work. A friend pointed out it looked like the Ioniq 5 is bedazzled and now I can't unsee it. But it still looks cool and I would have been happy with one too.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Biodome posted:

Saw my car's cousin at work. A friend pointed out it looked like the Ioniq 5 is bedazzled and now I can't unsee it. But it still looks cool and I would have been happy with one too.

Wow. I know everybody has different aesthetic preferences, so I'm just going to say that my aesthetic preferences are not this. The Kia looks cool to me, though.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The ioniq exterior is near perfect, god I love hatchbacks. Shame about the EV6’s butt, reminds me of a dodge intrepid :reject:

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 10, 2022

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I like the butt.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's thicc

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

The ioniq exterior is near perfect, god I love hatchbacks. Shame about the EV6’s butt, reminds me of a dodge intrepid :reject:

What the gently caress

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Pretty sure they mean this:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Mustache Ride posted:

Pretty sure they mean this:

That’s the one. My dad had the same color. He loved that stupid huge thing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What's wrong with Dodge Intrepids you bastard

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Actually it wasn’t a bad car, just too big. I have an aversion to full size sedans.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Cab forward, baby!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

What's wrong with Dodge Intrepids you bastard

Longitudinal engine, FWD. The drivetrain of a madman.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

According to my dragy my first 0-60 run was 0.73 seconds quicker than the best 0-60 I ever got out of the Mach.

Published times the 3 should only be 0.4 seconds quicker, I believe.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
First long distance trip 1/2 report!
First long distance trip in the Polestar 2, after having driven mostly around town and a couple 85 mile trips.
We drove 826 miles from Denver to Missouri. I’d practiced/used the fast chargers (Electrify America) before leaving but it’s different when you are not just putting around town with nothing pressing.
Car is excellent on the road, through the short wheelbase makes it a little choppy. The weight keeps it from getting squirrelly.
The headlights are fantastic.
7 charging stops, 2 were a little worrisome - at one charger only 1/4 were working, and the Rivian parked there left after telling us it was not working for them. Worked for me fortunately! At another charging stop 3/4 were charging at only 18kw, we moved over to the one that was working correctly (150kw) after the volt parked there finished.
This kind of feels like driving a motorcycle in some respects, blast out of the charging station, knock off a couple hours of driving, fill it back up, repeat. Since I’m an old with a 2nd grader, stopping every couple hours was not really the inconvenience I imagined it would be. ABRP and google maps were very accurate with SOC estimates, though ABRP is kind of clunky to use.
The Polestar google does not really like to be in low bandwidth cell areas, it kind of just gives up. The dash map display would occasionally glitch when in low bandwidth areas as well. Lanekeeping and ACC were fine, but I changed the steering feel from medium to light so the pressure required on the steering wheel would be less.
The real excitement/anxiety began when we drove into the middle of the mark twain national forest to our destination.
Arrived with 25%, hoping the vrbo house would have a 110v outlet I could plug into and trickle charge… Haahaa hope.
No external outlets! Wait! I can push the garage door up! Cool! Outlets! Whereupon I discover if there are wiring faults, the 110v charger will NOT charge. (Polestar support picked up the phone in 20 seconds fwiw) Fortunately, I have brought the 25’ 14gauge extension cord! which I then use to discover that all of the outlets within 25’ reach are also defective. Walmart is still open so I pick up a 50’ cord, and am able to charge at 12 amps/3mph. (Yes, I know, 50’ extension (any extension!) is not recommended!)
Also, on further inspection, the 25’ cord has been getting slowly toasted in my garage from charging duty… I guess I should think about a level 2 charger. There no fast chargers within 70 miles, so getting plugged into 110v was kind of critical to getting back out of town. The lack of plentiful fast charger, and the so-so reliability of the chargers available makes a EV sort of a crapshoot in the less populous areas of the country atm imo.
I look forward to our next EV (Polestar 3?) and much more charger availability in the future.
I did not notice very many EV at all on the interstate, only one model Y and one model 3. Encountered Mach-E, XC40, Volt, Rivian at charging stations. Heading for home today so will make second half trip report Monday.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If I have to use an extension cord I go for 12 gauge. Theoretically 14 gauge should be rated for 15 amps up to 50 feet but I dunno.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tesla is adding back the radar.

https://electrek.co/2022/06/08/tesla-files-use-new-radar-confused/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

More to the point, it looks like they’re planning on a much more advanced, powerful radar than the one previously installed.

…Which doesn’t bode well for FSD. Lol.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Pretty much 100% of the reason for the Tesla vision rollout was because of chip shortages (nobody could build enough radars in time, and waiting more than a year for a production ramp wasn't an option).

If anyone is confused just remember "we are removing lumbar support because nobody used it" and other supply line issues where Musk doesn't ever want to pay for a retrofit when it is straightened out (if they even had the service infrastructure to do it) so he just ships without it and says "we didn't need that anyway! we were going to remove it all along! really!".

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MrYenko posted:

More to the point, it looks like they’re planning on a much more advanced, powerful radar than the one previously installed.

…Which doesn’t bode well for FSD. Lol.

Nothing ever boded well for FSD, it’s been a sham from day one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Energica Experia. 19.6 kWh net LiPo, chain drive. Charges CCS at "400 kph", not sure what that means in Watts. Say 100 Wh/km, then it's 40 kW (peak obvs) which would be just fine. (e: 24 kW apparently. Optimistic consumption numbers then)

https://www.energicamotor.com/us/models/energica-experia/

e: making super sense there Energica

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 11, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Pretty impressive amount of battery crammed in there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Able to charge from the underside of a hummer EV after getting run over by one!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Pretty impressive amount of battery crammed in there.

Yeah, that's about 60% of the 2017 LEAF.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Iit's 100% of my Spark EV. I would love to be able to add capacity to that thing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Zero One posted:

TFL got a Lightning.

They are road tripping it from Detroit to Colorado. Then they will be driving it to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to test how hard it is to get an EV all the way up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldDBwntYklQ

Detroit to Chicago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxPcgvI85Jg

While I'm guessing that the Ford free charging process could be easier it probably wasn't the best decision to plug into a charger first and then try to figure out how to activate your account.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
It would be better if it was just Andre and Roman wasn’t there

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Nothing ever boded well for FSD, it’s been a sham from day one.

If they had put a reasonable, even if aggressive, timeline on it, then maybe people would be less pissed about and/or duped by it. Like, “L3 by 2025 and L4 by 2032,” not Musk’s “L5 by last year” poo poo.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sonic Dude posted:

If they had put a reasonable, even if aggressive, timeline on it, then maybe people would be less pissed about and/or duped by it. Like, “L3 by 2025 and L4 by 2032,” not Musk’s “L5 by last year” poo poo.

Promising full autonomy might as well be promising time travel or cold fusion. It’s not possible with our current understanding of the technology available. Hope that it would or will exist is entirely based on naive optimism about the limitless advancement of scientific progress.

But nobody was going to fork over 10k on the promise that “your car will do some of the driving tasks for you under ideal conditions in some places” so that was a non-starter.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 12, 2022

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah, I often suspect AI/vision good enough to replace human drivers is like clean fusion energy, only it is in slightly better shape because instead of being perpetually 30 years away it is just perpetually 10 years away.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sonic Dude posted:

Reasonably self driving timetable would be measured in decades. We’re talking minimum 20-30 years for technology to get there and allowing enough time for said technology to propagate to the roads. Average age of a car here in the states is 12 years so that’s the bare loving minimum after mass adoption begins.

The truth is you’ll see the unregulated nightmare like Tesla continue until enough people die.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
My buddy just enabled the latest FSD beta on his Y, it stopped for a pedestrian, waited for cars to go by at a red light, then turned right on red appropriately.

His rear end was clenched the entire time tho lol.

In any case as these methods get incrementally better there’s no way they are causing more harm than good, any amount of automation that removes people as the decision maker is a good thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Have there been any precedents set on who is liable in the case of an accident with a car in self drive? That’s a big question for me, if it is as good as people that is awesome but what if something goes wrong who is liable..

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

In any case as these methods get incrementally better there’s no way they are causing more harm than good, any amount of automation that removes people as the decision maker is a good thing.

They can absolutely cause more harm than good. Systems that augment a human driver to cover for lapses in attention or vigilance are good. Systems that convince people to focus their attention on other things but expect them to be able to step in immediately and take control are bad. Humans aren’t bad drivers because they can’t recognize a pedestrian or decide it’s fine to run them over, they’re bad drivers because they suck at focusing on just driving. Giving them less reason to focus on driving won’t m somehow make roads safer, you’ll just have “self-driving” cars that do incredibly stupid poo poo while the human is asleep at the wheel.

Lowering traffic fatalities is an easy problem to solve: get more humans out of cars and into alternate modes of conveyance. Self driving is just techno-utopian bullshit to pump stock prices and attempt to replace cabbies and ride share drivers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

My buddy just enabled the latest FSD beta on his Y, it stopped for a pedestrian, waited for cars to go by at a red light, then turned right on red appropriately.

His rear end was clenched the entire time tho lol.

Incrementally not killing a pedestrian isn’t the selling point you’re making it out too be

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Lowering traffic fatalities is an easy problem to solve: get more humans out of cars and into alternate modes of conveyance. Self driving is just techno-utopian bullshit to pump stock prices and attempt to replace cabbies and ride share drivers.

God imagine this country with proper public transportation and less focus on suburbia.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Incrementally not killing a pedestrian isn’t the selling point you’re making it out too be

Yea. Making a right turn without running over a human who is clearly in the road is something a human driver can learn to do in about 15 minutes of instruction. The fact that it’s taken billions invested and god knows how many hours of NN training to get to the point that their algorithm can get it right sometimes isn’t a sign of progress, it’s a sign of how incredibly hard the problem is and how naive it is to think that camera are basically eyes and computers are basically brains so it should be trivial to teach a car with cameras and computers how to drive if you’ve got enough data.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They can absolutely cause more harm than good. Systems that augment a human driver to cover for lapses in attention or vigilance are good. Systems that convince people to focus their attention on other things but expect them to be able to step in immediately and take control are bad. Humans aren’t bad drivers because they can’t recognize a pedestrian or decide it’s fine to run them over, they’re bad drivers because they suck at focusing on just driving. Giving them less reason to focus on driving won’t m somehow make roads safer, you’ll just have “self-driving” cars that do incredibly stupid poo poo while the human is asleep at the wheel.

Ah yeah super easy. Tell the country that was built on and in support of personal vehicles to take the bus. We can’t even agree to give up assault rifles lol.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How many pedestrians have been injured as a result of a self driving Tesla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Ah yeah super easy. Tell the country that was built on and in support of personal vehicles to take the bus. We can’t even agree to give up assault rifles lol.

It’s very easy from a technical perspective. We have all of the technology we need right now to do it. We have had it for decades. It’s politically hard because it’s a social problem. You’re pitching a technical solution to a social problem, which is always destined to fail, and on top of that you’re pitching a technical solution that doesn’t exist.

quote:

How many pedestrians have been injured as a result of a self driving Tesla?

There are no self driving Teslas, according to Tesla. But given that the only organization that has information on whether FSD or Autopilot was active for any given accident is Tesla and they don’t share that data it’s also impossible to answer the question of “how many injuries or accidents have been caused by FSD or Autopilot.” Perhaps the NHTSA investigation will shed some light on that, or at least the related question of how many emergency workers have been injured by a Tesla on auto-pilot.