Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
If you need audiobook versions there is no substitute for the Peter Kenny narration. Seriously, impressive production quality. Exhilarating, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I've always said start with the player of games. Then straight to use of weapons.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
I finished red mars recently and it was a bore.

mars end up ruled by corporation that willfully decides to become a worker coop because it’s more economical that joins forces with a bunch of reactionary terrorist. lmao is KSR really a leftist?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

hardcore boomer brain

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Hodgepodge posted:

i don't think most people understand that heat doesn't disperse into a vacuum like air does, because somehow "heat requires a medium in which to exist" has dispersed out of our heads in the mahakalpa since seventh grade science class

it will radiate away though

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Hodgepodge posted:

i don't think most people understand that heat doesn't disperse into a vacuum like air does, because somehow "heat requires a medium in which to exist" has dispersed out of our heads in the mahakalpa since seventh grade science class

Light, which is, like heat, also a radiation: "lol"

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

FacelessVoid posted:

I finished red mars recently and it was a bore.

mars end up ruled by corporation that willfully decides to become a worker coop because it’s more economical that joins forces with a bunch of reactionary terrorist. lmao is KSR really a leftist?

https://communemag.com/dystopias-now/

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
First episode of this season of For All Mankind mentioned that Thatcher got blown up, A+ episode 10/10

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Tighclops posted:

First episode of this season of For All Mankind mentioned that Thatcher got blown up, A+ episode 10/10

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Tighclops posted:

is that show good?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

500 good dogs posted:

is that show good?

It can be a bit libbish sometimes and the family drama parts can drag a little bit but overall yeah, I think so.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Weka posted:

I kinda like that way of doing it, it's saying even if spooks were moral paragons they would still be bad. Don't forget many people think the CIA is the good guys.

most people in the CIA think of themselves the same way--they're trying to make the world better for people, and think that their work is a vital part of doing so. even the ones who are personally doing obviously bad stuff think of it as justified, for the greater good, etc. which, of course, makes the moral of that book (that i haven't read) even more relevant to the real world. the problem with interventionism is the interventionism, not the motivations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Is there any evidence you could point to of the CIA drinking it's own koolaid? The mindset of a yankee spook is entirely opaque to me.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

FacelessVoid posted:

Interesting that you see the Reds environmentalism as reactionary. Do you view technological progress as teleological? Very muskian imo. And for their terrorism, isn't what we read about just the consequences of fighting a guerrilla war? Plus their control over the powerful environmental court is a great example of how in a revolutionary situation if your ideology has organization and weapons you can have an influence on the post-revolutionary order disproportionate to your share of the population. Shades of the Iranian revolution perhaps?

Towards your point about the revolution needed class traitors such as a megacorp to succeed and that had influence on the post-independence Martian government I would say KSR doesnt like to write utopias or dystopia and the independent Martian society should be viewed as ambiguously as Le Guin's eponymous example.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Yadoppsi posted:

Le Guin's eponymous example.

huh

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I listened to an interview with KSR. a year or so ago and he said he characterizes his stuff as “anti-dystopian” then talked for like five minutes about how that’s different than utopian and anti-utopian isn’t necessarily dystopian. it was pretty interesting.

he also went on to say you can negate the negation and have something that’s anti-anti-dystopian which is pretty close to a dystopia but not exactly the same but that distinction lost me

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

KSR is a lib, hth.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah he walks up to the line of revolutionary then turns to his audience and says no pasaran

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

Yadoppsi posted:

Interesting that you see the Reds environmentalism as reactionary. Do you view technological progress as teleological? Very muskian imo. And for their terrorism, isn't what we read about just the consequences of fighting a guerrilla war? Plus their control over the powerful environmental court is a great example of how in a revolutionary situation if your ideology has organization and weapons you can have an influence on the post-revolutionary order disproportionate to your share of the population. Shades of the Iranian revolution perhaps?

Towards your point about the revolution needed class traitors such as a megacorp to succeed and that had influence on the post-independence Martian government I would say KSR doesnt like to write utopias or dystopia and the independent Martian society should be viewed as ambiguously as Le Guin's eponymous example.

environmentalism is a commonly held belief of reactionaries. it’s even more ridiculous when they fetishized a lifeless rock. but it’s mostly that they are anti immigrant.

I don’t know what your comment about technology has to do with my post.

your last point about class traitors shows you don’t understand class politics at all. yes you can have individual class traitors but not giant institutions. no capitalist enterprise is going to willfully swap from a top down hierarchy into a collection of co-ops. classes follow their own interests unless compelled by force. it has nothing to do with utopias or dystopias.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if ur on Mars and one dude has a controlling interest in the company then he can make the corporation betray its creating class by legally holding it hostage. I forget the specifics but it’s not like they could dispatch assassins

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Dustcat posted:

space exploration is good and necessary because it improves our understanding of the universe. it should be done by robots though, because sending fragile meatbags out there that you then have to bring back in one temperature-controlled piece so their wives won't be sad is a complete waste of propellant

exploring the solar system is cool and fun to do, but cosmology and high energy physics are the big prize because we haven't had big advances in understanding fundamental physics in half a century. for that, you need telescopes, and all the best telescopes are in space because where else are you going to build an interferometer array with a 200,000 mile diameter. let's get that bitch set up, probably still cost less than a month of the war on iraq

dustcat have you ever considered amassing vast power to enact your will

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

are we, or will we in the future, be blasting out less random noise as the world shifts away from radio?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah traffic is way down from even 20 years ago

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

indigi posted:

yeah traffic is way down from even 20 years ago

aliens will think we died :unsmith:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah that's what i was thinking lol

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Billions and billions of comrades across billions and billions of stars
Toot toot

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i say swears online posted:

are we, or will we in the future, be blasting out less random noise as the world shifts away from radio?

The amount of radio that we were blasting out was very low anyway. The largest amount of non-random, non-directed signal that was ever broadcasted from earth was ~1MW, but most transmissions were much less then this. That amount of power couldn't even make it to the sun without basically turning into noise.

If we had a satellite outside of earths atmosphere directed at some far-off star then maybe if someone was listening they'd pick something up, but eh, odds are low. As far as abnormal radio transmissions, meaning significant outside of background radiation, I have to imagine that the earth has been heating up since the 1900's, but I have no idea how that compares to the Sun's normal outputs, I have to assume that anything us puny humans transmit would be almost totally eclipsed by the sun to any observer outside the solar system.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/NASA_Marshall/status/1546895628130828288

don't care about space exploration but we should do more of this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://twitter.com/NASA_Marshall/status/1546895628130828288

don't care about space exploration but we should do more of this

aww, cute lil guy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it was turned on for like a day and confirmed atmospheric water on an exoplanet

this thing is gonna be neat

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The brighter one is webb, and the darker one is hubble. Lol

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

i say swears online posted:

it was turned on for like a day and confirmed atmospheric water on an exoplanet

this thing is gonna be neat

A fun reference figure.

Ozone is a lot harder to observe than H2O/O2 and more indicative of successful life as it will shield surface life from space rad. The UV line is critical but UV is very challenging to observe as the mirrors are a lot harder to make and detector technology is still in development.

Note that this is a UV-VIS-NIR plot, which is what the next great observatory will observe - that will launch late 2030s. Roman/WFIRST is far IR and will hopefully launch in mid-late 2020s.

guidoanselmi has issued a correction as of 00:21 on Jul 13, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
what if the camera sees an alien

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I hope it sees Solaris the Tyrant Sun

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
id love to meet an alien

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
look there’s a nonzero chance the jeb telescope finds a planet of tall buxom women who are intelligent with a great sense of humor

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the milk machine posted:

look there’s a nonzero chance the jeb telescope finds a planet of tall buxom women who are intelligent with a great sense of humor

a woman with a sense of bumor? now that WOULD be alien indeed!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

the milk machine posted:

https://youtu.be/ya_D9IwB3-s