Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

That DICK! posted:

they basically could have solved both shows problems by swapping the plots around. have obi-wan stay on tatooine the whole time doing dances with wolves poo poo with the tuskens and taking an interest and pride in the local community of this planet he called a pointless shithole backwater back in episode 1. then have boba fett going around doing cool search and rescue poo poo on various planets

drat youre right. that would have been awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
BRO why is the obi wan show loving up the continuity lol. it made sense when he encountered vader and got ghosted that they hadnt seen each other since their relationship "crashed and burned" on mustafar.

e nm i remembered

Smythe fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 10, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

yeah dude, its star wars, of course he was there at the very moment of her birth and for every single important event of her life

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

That DICK! posted:

yeah dude, its star wars, of course he was there for there very moment of her birth and for every single important decision of her life.

ya i remembed now that they named them before padme croaked, right? and also bail was there too?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
obi wan watching luke and leia make out despite knowing theyre brother and sister: now this is podracing :grin:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

yeah but its funnier, padme actually made sure to say this is lil baby luke and lil baby leia as she pawned them off onto a robot so she could die. bail was hanging around, he said he would take a baby because his dick did not work

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

That DICK! posted:

yeah but its funnier, padme actually made sure to say this is lil baby luke and lil baby leia as she pawned them off onto a robot so she could die. bail was hanging around, he said his dick wouldn't work so he would take one

many such cases

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Jar Jar performed Luke's circumcision.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
they should make a west wing stye show but its feat bail organa. that guy is cool

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I am not on the wah wah Kathleen Kennedy ruined Star Wars train but it's not shocking she's one of the only execs people name because she's constantly front and centre when Disney is introducing new Star Wars shows/ films, she's an ever present part of Disney's Star Wars push just like Kevin Feige is the main guy for the MCU and the only one I can even think of, that isnt a chud thing that's a Disney wants you to see this person and know who they are.

But yes it's a collaborative effort with many people involved, if anything before her I'd rather see them fire all the show runners and writers involved in both Obi Wan and Boba Fett, but then you have to say well who at the top looked at the level of quality those shows put out and said yea this is good? If you look at the hits and misses in terms of quality for Disney SW stuff it's largely been poor. All 3 of the movies have been middling to bad, and one show (Mandalorian) is good while 2 others are pretty drat bad, so it's not super shocking people call for there to be a change, I'm sure part of that is misogyny from some elements but I also think it's just dissatisfaction and calling for the head of the person whos been put in charge that everyone knows.

I think I said this in the Cine discussion thread but if Ashoka is the level of quality as Obi Wan I fully expect the fan base to start turning on their beloved Filoni.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Man I knew months ago that Leia as a kid was going to be in this and have plot importance but wasn't expecting it to be every episode

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The question is what exactly Kennedy actually does. People seem to never point to anything she’s specifically done, that she’s taken credit for, that was a bad artistic choice. Disney-Lucasfilm has been extremely good obscuring what goes on behind the scenes.

Without concrete information, we have only fantasies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

I am not on the wah wah Kathleen Kennedy ruined Star Wars train but it's not shocking she's one of the only execs people name because she's constantly front and centre when Disney is introducing new Star Wars shows/ films, she's an ever present part of Disney's Star Wars push just like Kevin Feige is the main guy for the MCU and the only one I can even think of, that isnt a chud thing that's a Disney wants you to see this person and know who they are.

But yes it's a collaborative effort with many people involved, if anything before her I'd rather see them fire all the show runners and writers involved in both Obi Wan and Boba Fett, but then you have to say well who at the top looked at the level of quality those shows put out and said yea this is good? If you look at the hits and misses in terms of quality for Disney SW stuff it's largely been poor. All 3 of the movies have been middling to bad, and one show (Mandalorian) is good while 2 others are pretty drat bad, so it's not super shocking people call for there to be a change, I'm sure part of that is misogyny from some elements but I also think it's just dissatisfaction and calling for the head of the person whos been put in charge that everyone knows.

I think I said this in the Cine discussion thread but if Ashoka is the level of quality as Obi Wan I fully expect the fan base to start turning on their beloved Filoni.

They day is coming. The Prequels made them turn on George Lucas. Book of Boba Fett made them turn on John Faverau. Filoni’s time in the barrel is an eventuality at this point.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Star Wars media merely reflects the exact same quality as the Star Wars fandom. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The question is what exactly Kennedy actually does. People seem to never point to anything she’s specifically done, that she’s taken credit for, that was a bad artistic choice. Disney-Lucasfilm has been extremely good obscuring what goes on behind the scenes.

Without concrete information, we have only fantasies.

The only concrete thing I can think of was jon kasdan talking about kathleen kennedy helping the design of the memorable space monster in solo by googling squids for the team. Which is neither here nor there, but hey I've been told ITT that she has almost nothing to do with day to day star wars operations

https://twitter.com/jonkasdan/status/1040529501870944256?lang=en

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

They day is coming. The Prequels made them turn on George Lucas. Book of Boba Fett made them turn on John Faverau. Filoni’s time in the barrel is an eventuality at this point.

Ahsoka has a non white, female lead and she'll be palling around with a bunch of other women and will probably still be way better than Ezra at everything. So from people who didn't watch Rebels and weren't already used to it, it's going to be getting a lot of "this is woke" attention. And then Disney will also blame any negative criticism on chuds as they've been doing g lately.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ahsoka is orange... u know who else is orange???? thats right.....

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

That DICK! posted:

they basically could have solved both shows problems by swapping the plots around. have obi-wan stay on tatooine the whole time doing dances with wolves poo poo with the tuskens and taking an interest and pride in the local community of this planet he called a pointless shithole backwater back in episode 1. then have boba fett going around doing cool search and rescue poo poo on various planets

I might just be repeating stuff I read in the thread, but I remember reading somewhere that the Boba Fett Tusken episodes were salvaged or at least inspired by the script for the Obi Wan movie before they turned it into a TV show.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

they should make a west wing stye show but its feat bail organa. that guy is cool

I am all for this and seeing Leia’s road to being senator and rebel leader with kid Leia actress. They can even use the same thing that they did with that one guy’s face who played young Bruce Willis in that one Bruce Willis movie.

I am terrible with names.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Joseph Gordon Levitt

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

zoux posted:

Once Lucas made it so the clone army was the army of the republic instead of an invading force I was off the boat, so I'm agnostic on Filonism. There's some good stuff and bad stuff but it's all fruit of a poisoned tree.

When was it ever said they were an invading force? All I can recall is Obi-Wan telling Luke "I served with your father in the Clone Wars."

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

No Mods No Masters posted:

The only concrete thing I can think of was jon kasdan talking about kathleen kennedy helping the design of the memorable space monster in solo by googling squids for the team. Which is neither here nor there, but hey I've been told ITT that she has almost nothing to do with day to day star wars operations

This is really cool, thanks for sharing it.

I looked up that Leviathan teaser thing and it's very well done. Not sure how you could stretch out the concept into a full movie when it's really more of a setpiece that worked pretty well in Solo (giant Lovecraftian monster obscured by particle effects vs people in spaceships), but there was obviously a ton of work put into it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Kennedy, for better or worse, is the public face like Feige is for Marvel. When you put yourself out there like that, the blame or praise falls on you even if it should or shouldn't. Kevin Feige is taking a lot of heat now too with the new Marvel stuff not being so good, but two years ago everyone was singing his praises. That's just how it goes

FWIW I think a lot of the criticism is valid. She has burned through a lot of directors, the projects have all been pretty bad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Davros1 posted:

When was it ever said they were an invading force? All I can recall is Obi-Wan telling Luke "I served with your father in the Clone Wars."

I thinknit was one of the movie novelization that Alan Dean Foster wrote that first mentioned the evil enemy clones. Not sure if that was his idea originally because a lot of the draft notes for the films ended up getting incorporated into the novelizations, like the original excerpt about the Mandalorians being evil warriors defeated by the Jedi during the Clone Wars

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

The Vanity Fair article from before Obi-Wan's release brought up how she's the one who got The Mandalorian going. Jon Favreau began writing a lone gunslinger-style show about a Mandalorian bounty hunter when he was hired, only for them to find out Dave Filoni was already writing a Mandalorian show focusing on their wider culture from Clone Wars and Rebels. Kathleen Kennedy had both of them meet to discuss their shows and merge their visions into a single work.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

as a misogynist and white supremacist i have to give kathleen kennedy mad props for not giving us a single star wars film not created by a white man. we stan a queen

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nodoze posted:

Kennedy, for better or worse, is the public face like Feige is for Marvel. When you put yourself out there like that, the blame or praise falls on you even if it should or shouldn't. Kevin Feige is taking a lot of heat now too with the new Marvel stuff not being so good, but two years ago everyone was singing his praises. That's just how it goes

FWIW I think a lot of the criticism is valid. She has burned through a lot of directors, the projects have all been pretty bad

When somebody is president the responsibility is total.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

kneelbeforezog posted:

I am 1.5 episodes into Kenobi and was wondering , since it seems to be that the heavy criticisms probably started at episode 1 or 2, what are some examples of good disney+ shows or disney+ star wars shows, even better, that have the good writing/ cinematography/world-building logic that did things right? Moon Knight? Hawk-Eye. I need to see what Kathleen Kennedy productions has done that works so I can see why people are so disappointed in Kenobi.

The first few episodes of Mando are some of the best modern Star Wars.

Sequences like this have a nice sense of action and humor.

https://youtu.be/NiYvjg0F534

https://youtu.be/EEMOsJydC40

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Nodoze posted:

I get the feeling that Kennedy is like the Star Wars equivalent of the NFL Commissioner. Half of that guy’s job is to be the face of unpopular things that the owners want and take all of the heat from the fans. Kennedy might just the public face that gets all of the hate from the superfans while Disney/Lucasfilm rakes in billions.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

People talk about Kathleen Kennedy a lot because all discussion about new star wars is Disney kremlinology. It's much easier to explain pretty much any creative decision in terms of corporate strategy and internal politics then it is to try to actually understand the themes or whatever.

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 11, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I get the feeling that Kennedy is like the Star Wars equivalent of the NFL Commissioner. Half of that guy’s job is to be the face of unpopular things that the owners want and take all of the heat from the fans. Kennedy might just the public face that gets all of the hate from the superfans while Disney/Lucasfilm rakes in billions.
It's definitely part of it

Personally I feel like you can blame the TV issues on Filoni or Favreau more than her. However, she was clearly very involved in the new sequel trilogy, and as of right now there are zero Star Wars films under production, with the last one being by far the most poorly received of all of the films.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Farm Frenzy posted:

Disney kremlinology

What do we call this? Mouseology? Cinderology, after Cinderella Castle? Magical Thinking Kingdom?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Davros1 posted:

It never was, I just think it was a bad decision in building the prequel narrative. I don’t like the clones, they don’t make sense as an army of the republic. They don’t even make sense as an army.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

zoux posted:

It never was, I just think it was a bad decision in building the prequel narrative. I don’t like the clones, they don’t make sense as an army of the republic. They don’t even make sense as an army.

Didn't the Thrawn trilogy treat the Clone Wars as a war against an army of clones, hence why people were leery of them once the technology resurfaced?

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
if they are going to mine the EU they should mine tu Kenner clone wars

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Didn't the Thrawn trilogy treat the Clone Wars as a war against an army of clones, hence why people were leery of them once the technology resurfaced?

My rationale is the every clone army in the history of fiction prior to the prequels were the bad guys.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Vinylshadow posted:

Yes, this was a common assumption by a lot of EU writers before AtoC came out. It’s also worth noting Zahn was told that the Clone Wars were 35-years before the events of ANH, and obviously Lucas would later change that when doing the prequels.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I feel bad for Ewan and Hayden because now they are in a way worse prequel.

Portman must be laughing her little rear end off

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Half of that guy’s job is to be the face of unpopular things that the owners want and take all of the heat from the fans.

I would take over for Gary Bettman tomorrow, for half the salary. Boo me at the Stanley Cup as much as you want. Seven figures more than makes up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

why'd they even bring hayden back lol. i thought cold open flashbacks with obi wan and anakin doing stuff was a no brainer move.