Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Convex posted:

and how's the game?

Eh so so. :shrug:

Nah it’s loving great.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The level in allied assault where you pose as a German to plant a bomb on a submarine is soooo good

That’s the level I’m starting now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Oh dayum, already? I though that would be a little ways off. Excited to hear some impressions!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:nice:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If you want to kill slavs with guns & kicks you owe it to yourself to check out the ANGER FOOT demo.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Decided to try Sunder again with legendoom installed and I made it further but it is still completely kicking my rear end
Maybe slaughterwads are just not for me

Slaughter with gameplay mods is almost never a good idea, the balancing is so tight even the most conservative gameplay mods throw them off.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Grimthwacker posted:

Oh dayum, already? I though that would be a little ways off. Excited to hear some impressions!

Well, I haven't played much of it, but:

There are a bunch of different enemy types but I'm not feeling a whole lot of encounter variety. Some of them run at you and try to melee you. Some of them run at you and throw projectiles. Some are larger, and run slightly slower. It's a whole lot of running, basically, so fighting is a whole lot of running backwards. And the encounters are just "drop a whole mess of whatever around and behind the player". There aren't any layers to fights, yet, no snipers on ledges or anything that flies or such. The two designs which do stick out to me are the shotgun skeleton, who is a shotgun rear end in a top hat in the grand tradition of FPS shotgun assholes, and a chunkier thing which I think has an explosive projectile? Not sure.

The weapons all feel punchy, especially the shotgun, but I'm not feeling any pressure to switch between them much. Sometimes I will snipe things with the rifle, but mostly I stick to the shotgun and the game has not seen fit to punish me for this. The amount of ammo that drops from enemies means I'm not even squeezed on that front.

The game has reloading, which is, okay, sure. But it doesn't have manual reloading, which is... eh? But you can force a manual reload by switching weapons (and the game tells you this, so it's intentional), so there is manual reloading, but just really awkward to use? I do not understand what the design intent behind this choice is.

Movement is fast- actually kind of feels like I have the FOV up really high, but there's no FOV setting so who knows. Strafing feels slower than forward and back, and so do the diagonals, which- yeah I don't like very much. Jump is fine.

It's better than PW1, but I did not like PW1 much, so.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

Slaughter with gameplay mods is almost never a good idea, the balancing is so tight even the most conservative gameplay mods throw them off.
The solution, therefore, is to use gameplay mods that tilt that resulting imbalance in your favor, IMO.

By which I mean that Holy Hell with Russian Overkill is surprisingly cathartic, if completely lacking in challenge.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The encounters have gotten better, but I have made a classic Project Warlock error of transforming my rifle into a thing which is much worse at doing its job. :)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

The solution, therefore, is to use gameplay mods that tilt that resulting imbalance in your favor, IMO.

By which I mean that Holy Hell with Russian Overkill is surprisingly cathartic, if completely lacking in challenge.

Yeah, that's my plan. I've spent most of this week learning ZScript and finally writing a mod that lets your weapons level up as you use them, and once I'm done the last feature (full Legendoom integration) I'm going to change the balance settings to "the player is wildly overpowered" and go nuts

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mordja posted:

If you want to kill slavs with guns & kicks you owe it to yourself to check out the ANGER FOOT demo.

I think I’ll pass.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

why would I want to kill “slavs”

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
:thunk:

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Well, I haven't played much of it, but:

There are a bunch of different enemy types but I'm not feeling a whole lot of encounter variety. Some of them run at you and try to melee you. Some of them run at you and throw projectiles. Some are larger, and run slightly slower. It's a whole lot of running, basically, so fighting is a whole lot of running backwards. And the encounters are just "drop a whole mess of whatever around and behind the player". There aren't any layers to fights, yet, no snipers on ledges or anything that flies or such. The two designs which do stick out to me are the shotgun skeleton, who is a shotgun rear end in a top hat in the grand tradition of FPS shotgun assholes, and a chunkier thing which I think has an explosive projectile? Not sure.

The weapons all feel punchy, especially the shotgun, but I'm not feeling any pressure to switch between them much. Sometimes I will snipe things with the rifle, but mostly I stick to the shotgun and the game has not seen fit to punish me for this. The amount of ammo that drops from enemies means I'm not even squeezed on that front.

The game has reloading, which is, okay, sure. But it doesn't have manual reloading, which is... eh? But you can force a manual reload by switching weapons (and the game tells you this, so it's intentional), so there is manual reloading, but just really awkward to use? I do not understand what the design intent behind this choice is.

Movement is fast- actually kind of feels like I have the FOV up really high, but there's no FOV setting so who knows. Strafing feels slower than forward and back, and so do the diagonals, which- yeah I don't like very much. Jump is fine.

It's better than PW1, but I did not like PW1 much, so.

Hmmmm, how's the map design? Much more involved than the Wolf-style corridors, like in the demo? Complex and robust? I can imagine the early game being not as varied enemy-wise. And what about the magic part? Is that any improved?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Grimthwacker posted:

Hmmmm, how's the map design? Much more involved than the Wolf-style corridors, like in the demo? Complex and robust? I can imagine the early game being not as varied enemy-wise. And what about the magic part? Is that any improved?

Map design is definitely much more complex than PW1. Lots of open spaces and up and down. M3 was actually pretty cool and had a nice lil boss arena at the end (M1 and M2's bosses were just kind of boring and grindy). M4 seems to be more of a twisty labyrinth thing with more exploring and traps but I ate a rocket to the face and decided to call it there for the night.

Magic is special abilities now, on a cool down. Dual wield, which was in the demo (first map in EA is a slightly rejigged (I think?) version of the demo map), a spell that freezes nearby enemies, and a flamethrower sort of thing that just does a lot of damage to everything in front of you. Useful, but nothing really game changing, just a bunch of panic buttons.

e: I don't think I remember how magic works in 1 at all, so can't make a comparison.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1535360824147075072?s=21&t=SSpAfUcghi-9fW4TgZSS5A
:wtf:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Always bet on Duke

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'll keep my expectations as low as possible. If it ends not being hot garbage it'll be a surprise.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't believe the dnf leak was a pr op

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

that seems like a fitting combo tbh. they did a decent job making Johnny Lawrence interesting (albeit in a doofy family movie kind of way)

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
This might genuinely be one of the worst ideas of this year.

If it doesn't turn out to be unwatchably bad, that'll be a genuinely impressive achievement.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Who do you cast as Duke Nukem in 2022?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I can't wait for him to yell his trademark phrase and Duke all over those guys.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Dwayne Johnson, both because he'd be a perfect fit for the role and because it would make sure that chuds don't latch on to the movie.
Obviously he'd have the most hideous blocky CGI hair you can imagine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crowetron posted:

John Cena

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

John Cena

good shout. Dwayne would suck

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

haveblue posted:

John Cena

Yeah Peacemaker has a lot of Duke Nukem qualities already tbh.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

haveblue posted:

John Cena

That’s who I immediately thought of, but on the other hand it seems kinda similar to Peacemaker. I doubt this movie sees the light of day though

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

david_a posted:

That’s who I immediately thought of, but on the other hand it seems kinda similar to Peacemaker. I doubt this movie sees the light of day though

The sunglasses, voice change, and ridiculous hair would differentiate it enough for me and I loving loved Peacemaker!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A Duke Nukem series done by Cobra Kai could be just a remake of Demolition Man. Present him as the typical action hero doing his stuff in 1986, he is flash frozen by mistake, and he is unfrozen on 2022. Hijinks ensue.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It should be 1996, and also the show should be produced entirely with Build.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is glorious Duke movie news. I remember there was a Duke movie being talked about 20+ years ago too. It's gonna happen some day. I do love Cobra Kai.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Turin Turambar posted:

A Duke Nukem series done by Cobra Kai could be just a remake of Demolition Man. Present him as the typical action hero doing his stuff in 1986, he is flash frozen by mistake, and he is unfrozen on 2022. Hijinks ensue.

So Austin Powers?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Will Duke actually get to say any of his catchphrases in a show / movie, what with them all being stolen from John Carpenter and Evil Dead?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

site posted:

Can't believe the dnf leak was a pr op

It makes sense: In 2010, Randy Pitchford buys all of the Duke Nukem materials by parlaying the fortune he made investing in hair gel goliath L.A. Looks in the late 90's. Twelve years later, a bloated Bam Margera admits to leaking the DNF 2001 build. Today, Josh Heald--the man responsible for Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay, Margera's favorite film--and who clearly models himself after the Duke, announces his work on a Duke Nukem film. He claims to merely be a writer and producer, but at 6'1", one must ask why he's started wearing platform boots to get himself standing tall in the Duke's 6'4" range...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I honestly thought the margera vid was one of those things where you pay some d lister money to say whatever you want to say

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

site posted:

I honestly thought the margera vid was one of those things where you pay some d lister money to say whatever you want to say

It is.
https://www.cameo.com/bam__margera

He says like the exact same "broken rear end elbow and wrist" thing in all of them and it's amazing to watch

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They've been talking about doing a Duke Nukem movie for so long that Dolph Lundgren was attached to the role at one point. I doubt it ever reaches celluoid, or, uh, whatever they put movies on nowadays. Hard drives? Insanely encrypted downloads? Holocubes?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1535376697352196096

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Apparently I'm a better casting director than I thought, because they already approached Cena about playing Duke Nukem the last time someone got the itch to make a movie about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Everyone knows Nicolas Cage is the only true choice for Duke