Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Solenna posted:

AITA for refusing to wear my engagement ring on the left hand?

Give me your finger!

Never mind the dumb fake reasoning behind rings on the left hand, I can't imagine jumping right into an engagement with someone who values your personal comfort that little. Like, you haven't even started anything yet and you already need to call in a peacekeeping negotiator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Don’t all veins run to the heart or. ?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
don't all veins go to the heart

isn't that how veins work

e: lol beaten

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You're so vein, I bet you think this heart is about you.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Demand she return her engagement ring for a ring of woven reeds, as the ancient Egyptians used, because anything less would be inauthentic.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

the holy poopacy posted:

Demand she return her engagement ring for a ring of woven reeds, as the ancient Egyptians used, because anything less would be inauthentic.

He should demand a cambric shirt with no seams nor needlework.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He should demand a cambric shirt with no seams nor needlework.

:golfclap:

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Don't some eastern European countries wear their ring on the right hand?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

carrionman posted:

Don't some eastern European countries wear their ring on the right hand?

Most Orthodox sects do, IIRC

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You're thinking of Australia, they have to wear the ring on their right hand because the blood flows the other way due to coriolis effect.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

the holy poopacy posted:

You're thinking of Australia, they have to wear the ring on their right hand because the blood flows the other way due to coriolis effect.

As an Aussie, this made me laugh way too hard. Thank you!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
WIBTA if I charged my family and friends money to watch my short film?

quote:

I (23M) am a film student just finishing up my studies with a 10 minute long short film I have written and directed. I have had a rocky time in the creation of this film and have been working on it for a year now. A lot of my family and friends are keen to watch it but I am not planning on having it published online until we take it to the festival circuit.

I am however planning on having a screening with the people who donated to the project and some of the cast and crews family members. I have a large family and recently got married so also have my husbands family to think about. As the screening with the sponsors is in a small cinema, it is full. I really want to hire a cinema closer to my friends and family (the other screening is closer to where I live which is 2+hours away from everyone else) but to hire the cinema, it is $500. I can’t afford to do it myself but don’t want my family and friends to miss out on seeing the project I have talked non stop about for the last 12 months.

So I am thinking of charging $5-10 for a ticket ($10 for people who I know can easily afford it, $5 for concession) but won’t charge the people who have already donated if they choose to come.

In the past, I have made candles to help fund my transition (I am trans) and some family members have complained when I charged them so I am worried about looking like an AH by charging them.

ETA: I have not yet spoken to people about even the possibility of this screening yet and am just tossing up all my options. Also quite a few people in my family suck at using technology so a link will unfortunately bring up more issues for them. I thought about having a watch party at my parents house (they have a big TV and sound system) but people in my family have issues with one or both of my parents (people who suck at technology are unfortunately among these people) This is in Australian dollars too if that influences anything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Troublemaker posted:

OP is being deliberately obtuse.

Well, this is the thread for it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solenna posted:

Well this morning she told me I need to wear it on my left because there is vein that runs from to the left ring finger to the heart

All your veins run to the heart. That's kinda the loving point.

EDIT: Beaten

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All your veins run to the heart. That's kinda the loving point.

He tried explaining that to her. All in vein.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
The post itself is not interesting to paste in but it had this in it:

quote:

a while ago, i made a group chat with my friends h, n, e, c, and t. h and n are girls, e, c, and h are guys.
Yes, YTA.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

The post itself is not interesting to paste in but it had this in it:

Yes, YTA.

Thank you for saving me from having to solve AITA algebra problems

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for playing as women in video games?

quote:

I feel like I am losing my god drat mind over this feud so I need stranger's opinions ig. Also throwaway. I(24m) moved in with my bf(25m) a few months ago. A few weeks ago while we were having breakfast he asked if he could ask something important. He asked me if I am in any way attracted to girls. I said no, then he asked me if I am thinking of identifying as one or considering changing my sex. I again said no and asked where this is coming from/ He says "Well I notice you play as females in video games quite a bit and it made me think that either you are bisexual or identify as female, and those are things I really need to know and I want you to be honest about this with me." I bluntly told him that's ridiculous and I quickly changed the subject. For context ig I have been playing games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Tomb Raider(two games that star female protagonists) or other fighting and jrpgs that have fanservicey female characters. I never thought anything about it ever and still don't. I also do not exclusively play as women, in case someone asks. We have a gaming room with a TV for each and every now and then he will occasionally make remarks when he sees me in control of a female character but I shut it down each time because I do not see how this is a big deal.

Last night we were playing our respective games and talking and out of the corner of my eye I saw him bolt out of the room. I followed him and found him sitting on our bed, visibly shaking and close to tears. I embraced him and asked what was wrong and he glared at me and said "That lady on the screen had WAY too big of tits. Why did you play as her?" I snapped because he looked like there was something, you know, SERIOUSLY wrong and I couldn't believe THAT is making him cry of all things. He called me dishonest about my sexuality or gender identity(he can't seem to determine which) and I again told him this is all in his head and if this is not the stupidest argument I have ever had then it is easily in the top 5. He kicked me out of the room and locked it and has not spoken to me since. Even though I think this is incredibly ridiculous I reached out to our mutual friend about it and she sided with him thinking it was weird and that I should just stop to keep the peace. My parents admit they had the same theories that my bf did when I was still living with them growing up but never actually saw it as a problem, so I guess I don't know if I'm missing something here. AITA

I know a lot of dudes who play women in video games because if they gotta stare at a person, may as well be an attractive one. And then I know dudes who just pick women in video games because of their abilities or stats or they like the voice actor. Or, loving A, I know women and men both who will only play their own gender. Who the gently caress cares?

Reddit has a good reply: Playing any game with a child protagonist means terrible things, you’re automatically a furry if a character is an animal, if you play over watch and play a robot you’re secretly a robot and because of the main character in Frogger I have a crippling mosquito habit.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Also lol at folding in HZD and Tomb Raider. Like, what do you want him to do, mod in Dirk Hardpeck as the player character?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm genuinely surprised this hasn't become the new Satanic Panic over video games yet. Give it a few months probably with the way the culture wars are going.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
r/relationships: That lady on the screen had WAY too big of tits.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah that sounds extremely like poo poo hotel front desks are explicitly told not to do. Like, say, if someone is trying to get ahold of someone they should not be getting ahold of, like someone escaping an abusive spouse.

LoL, no. She had Room Number and Name. Those are the two checks. FDA acted 100% appropriately. If you only have the name or room number, you're a drunk or prostitute. No forwarded calls for you.

If you're in an abusive relationship you don't give out both pieces of info, and a "no comment" sort of reply is standard when somebody asks about tenents in places with body autonomy. The FDA can let you know the most hidden spots on the parking lot if you ask.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cowslips Warren posted:

I know a lot of dudes who play women in video games because if they gotta stare at a person, may as well be an attractive one. And then I know dudes who just pick women in video games because of their abilities or stats or they like the voice actor. Or, loving A, I know women and men both who will only play their own gender. Who the gently caress cares?

Reddit has a good reply: Playing any game with a child protagonist means terrible things, you’re automatically a furry if a character is an animal, if you play over watch and play a robot you’re secretly a robot and because of the main character in Frogger I have a crippling mosquito habit.

the power-gamer option is to pick the gender with the least annoying combat and death sounds

or if it's multiplayer the one with the most annoying sounds

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
AITA for getting mad at my family for drunkenly waking me up and asking me to sleep on the couch?

quote:

This includes me (23F) step sister (21F) dad (50s male) and stepmom (50s F) & just happened an hour ago.

we own a business and tomorrow we are having an outdoor event. I have to wake up at 5 AM (I am a night owl) so decided to spend the night at my dad & step moms place to make sure I can wake up.

We also have a cat who stays at our business location. he is not the nicest of cats. a lot of people will be in our shop tomorrow, & we had to move him into the house. (Dad & step mom live on the same property as the business)

I put him in my step sisters bedroom (she doesn’t live in the house anymore) I was also extremely tired from working and only got 2 hours sleep the previous night, so I went to sleep around 6 pm.

When I went to sleep, my step sister didn’t plan on spending the night so I thought it would be fine. (Cat does attack so no one feels comfortable sleeping in the same room)

There are 3 bedrooms in the house, one for my dad & stepmom, step sisters room and the guest room where I was sleeping.

I was sleeping with the window open. Fast forward to about 10 pm, I wake up to the sound of drunk people hooting and hollering outside. (My family has a tradition of drinking before this event, I prefer the devils lettuce so I declined)

I was annoyed but I figured whatever I’ll just go back to sleep. I was trying to go back to sleep for 10 minutes when someone starts knocking on the door and calling my name. (I WAS awake but they didn’t know that)

I answered, my step sister opened the door and said that since my cat is in her bedroom, she was wondering if I could go sleep on the couch and she could sleep in the room I’m in. I was like “umm why don’t you just sleep on the couch?”

She basically said “well its my house and it’s your cat in my bedroom” btw my dad owns the house and owned it before he got married to my stepmom, which is what I told her. A little rude of me, but it’s true.

I get why she feels that way, I grew up with my mom and never lived in the house like she did, but I don’t think she’s entitled to wake me up and ask me to be uncomfortable sleeping on the couch while she gets the bed.

An argument ensued, my stepmom and dad got involved cus my step sister went and told them I was being irrational and they also came to the door trying to get me to move to the couch.

Now I was pissed. I told them if they were gunna act like this I will get up and leave and go sleep in my own bed. they didn’t like this idea because they know I would probably over sleep.

I then suggested they move the cat to a different room but none of them wanted to go in there and move him because hes aggressive. They asked me to go move him, to which I said no because I didn’t feel like getting up.

They were like “just move the cat then you can go back to sleep” I told them okay fine & moved the cat into the office room.

Now I’m still in the guest bedroom and my step sister is in her room, but everyone’s pissed at me.

AITA?

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

AITA for getting mad at my family for drunkenly waking me up and asking me to sleep on the couch?

Did they mistakenly adopt a tiger?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

That must be a really mean cat. drat.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm genuinely surprised this hasn't become the new Satanic Panic over video games yet. Give it a few months probably with the way the culture wars are going.
No-joke the neofascists know that if they stake a claim that hard on video games being evil they risk alienating a huge section of a pool they reliably draw pawns from. Give it about 10-20 years though, once people our age have ossified into no longer being relevant for those causes you'll see some sort of stupid wedge over gender norms in games get traction, coming from and including dudes who mained Chun-Li and Jill Valentine back in the day, being used as a political football.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Content Warning: No throwaways used by this OP, no trashfires either. Just normal people behaving regularly.

UPDATE: I (25F) and starting to think my partner (25M) will never want to get married.

quote:

Original Post https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/tf2gg8/i_25f_and_starting_to_think_my_partner_25m_will/

TLDR: Focusing less on myself and opening up to compromise has paid off big time!

The vast majority of commenters on my original post said that either there was a specific reason he didn't want to get married, or that we were fundamentally incompatible because we had different views on marriage. Fortunately, it's the former! When I brought it up again, I decided to approach the subject differently- rather than focusing on what I wanted, I focused on what he wanted from the future, and how that might fit with my vision of my own life.

The first thing I learned from this new approach is that my dear, introverted partner loathes the idea of turning our relationship into a giant showy party, and being vulnerable/romantic in front of our messy, chaotic families. Love should be private, and he hates weddings. We talked this over and I made it clear that 1) I do not care what our wedding looks like 2) I am happy to wait until he is comfortable with the idea and 3) While I don't care about weddings, marriage is an important part of a lifetime partnership for me. He told me he would think about that, and that it made him feel better to know that I didn't mind forgoing the stuff he sees as "superficial."

Last night, we were discussing our long-term career goals, and he told me that he now does see marriage as part of those plans, because he wants to plan our lives in tandem, and agrees that the benefits and the commitment of marriage are a part of the vision he has of our partnership. He realized that my willingness to forgo the kind of wedding I originally wanted to preserve his comfort made him want to compromise too and he's ready to start incorporating traditional romantic gestures into our lives- including "the whole song and dance" of proposals (this is big for him because he is NOT a romantic). We talked it over and agreed that marriage within a year of my finishing law school was the right timeline. This gives him plenty of time to work on his issues with weddings and think about what ours should look like. Knowing that we have the same vision for our lives and a solid timeline in mind completely assuages my worries.

And lord the way I blushed when he said he planned to have a ring on my finger before I graduate... I must have glowed.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I typically switch between male and female characters every time I change games, and I have no idea why.

Until now. I just found out it’s because I’m bisexual and/or gender fluid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like going back to play old games with character creators and trying for figure out what I was thinking.

Hrm, I made a decrepitly ancient chinese man wearing modern drip, was I thinking modern reboot of Big Trouble in Little China or did I hit random all and then equip best in slot?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Shithouse Dave posted:

“Are you pregnant?”
“No.”
“How do you know?”
“I haven’t had sex since 2019”
“…..”
“……..”
“Well maybe you just don’t understand what sex is. I need you to go pee in this cup”

Mine was
"Are you pregnant?"
"No."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes."
"Are you really sure?"
"Yes."
"Are you absolutely sure?"
"I am in a committed relationship and have an active sex life, am using birth control and currently on the third week of my cycle. Given the expected failure rate and the timing, I am 96 % certain that I am not pregnant."
Silence.
*sigh* "Yes, I am sure."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

I like going back to play old games with character creators and trying for figure out what I was thinking.

Hrm, I made a decrepitly ancient chinese man wearing modern drip, was I thinking modern reboot of Big Trouble in Little China or did I hit random all and then equip best in slot?

Chinese 'How do you do fellow kids'

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for recording my female coworker without her permission?

quote:

I know the title sounds bad but hear me out I 28m have a female coworker 26f who likes to flirt with all of the men at work. My wife 24f knows about her and how I feel. Coworker stays away from me unless it’s work related because I shot her down a few times and told her (on Monday) if she didn’t knock it off I would report her to HR. Well yesterday that coworker found my wife’s social media and messaged her telling her that I’m a “creep” and “won’t leave her alone” and that I “tried to pay her for sex”. I was honestly disgusted. I ignore her existence unless it’s work related and I couldn’t believe the blatant lies she was telling. So today I go into work and have my phone in my hand and recorded our conversation when I confronted her. I didn’t show her face the camera was facing the floor so all that was shown was the shoes. After some back and forth she admitted she was mad that I threatened HR and hoped my wife would force me to quit my job so I wasn’t a “problem” anymore. So I took the recording and the messages to HR and she was fired immediately. On the way out of the building she screamed at me that I was an rear end in a top hat and a few other choice words for recording her without her permission and that she’s suing me for it. Even a few coworkers said I was wrong for it and I should have just showed HR the messages and how she’s a single mom and I just cost her kids their livelihood. So AITA?

"Leave me alone or I go to HR"
<Escalates>
<Goes to HR>

I don't think the OP cost her kids anything... (Assuming this isn't some weird fantasy thing.)

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for asking my wedding guests to follow a simple dress code?

quote:

Ok so my (28F) wedding is coming up and I just want everything to be perfect, part of that is a very particular colour scheme I want, it’s a lot of warm pastel colours. I've sent out colour pallets and the kinda thing I would like guests to wear, but nothing si deadset (like they must be a particular shade) but I just want the dress code to follow that kind of aesthetic. All my bridesmaids have beautiful matching dresses which I brought for them (im always surprised when I hear stories of American bridesmaids having to pay for expensive dresses, where I live if you want the bridesmaids to wear specific dresses, they are normally brought for them by the bride and groom).

Now the issue comes with my half brother (26M), we have an ok relationship, but because of our relationship with our parents we don't really have a sibling bond, he is more like a family friend to me that i’m kinda inviting because we do get on but also because I feel obligated to invite him. My wedding is child friendly and he bringing his little boy (7M). Now, something I forgot to mention in my invitation is that I didn't want anyone to wear purple/lilac as that was what the wedding party was wearing. Most people were ok with this but my half brother called me up and asked if an exception could be made for his son since he already picked out an outfit which was lilac, I told him no. and he said ok.

The wedding came and went and it was wonderful, everything looked perfect. It wasn't a destination wedding but a lot of family and friends stayed in the area for a few extra days. My half brother and his son stayed with my parents and during their stay I found out they have a “father/son tradition” which I thought was weird, they would dress up super formal and fancy, and just go to regular places, normally to eat and he did this while he was here, they were planning to go out for ice cream. I assumed they were gonna wear their wedding clothes because it would have been stupid to pack formal clothes just for this. But when I saw them getting ready to go my half brother and his son were in these matching lilac dresses (both wore suits for the wedding thankfully)

I asked him why they were wearing them and he told me that his son was sad at not getting to wear his lilac outfit, so to get him to put on the pastel green suit he worse for my wedding he agreed to match with him and go out and get ice cream or something after the wedding, so they were getting ice cream. I got upset and told him that I said no lilac, he said that he knows and that the wedding was over, no matter how I explained it he just didn't understand that he was undermining me and what I asked of him. He said he was just leaving bc he didn't want to be out too late, I said just don't take any pictures and he got viable upset as he left. Im now thinking that maybe I was being a bit rude and could have explained easier, so AITA?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for asking my wedding guests to follow a simple dress code?

The gently caress is stowing this lady? She thinks she now gets to dictate what guests wear outside of her wedding too?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That one reads as bait to me. "Line up and beat the bridezilla!" Like breaking under pressure and demanding things that you obviously don't have a right to makes you an rear end in a top hat in that case, and you don't really need a third party to help you figure that out. If you're asking it's because you are inviting people to get self-righteous at an avatar of every bullshit wedding restriction they've had imposed on them.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Solenna posted:

Give me your finger!

I know this has already been said, but the reply to the top comment made me laugh a lot....

top comment posted:

All veins bring blood back to the heart, what a stupid myth that is so easily debunked. NTA at all, what a ridiculous hill to die on.

reply posted:

Umm actually everyone knows the veins on your left hand lead to your heart and the veins on the right lead to Albuquerque.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

therobit posted:

The gently caress is stowing this lady? She thinks she now gets to dictate what guests wear outside of her wedding too?

Worse than that, it looks like what she's actually freaking out about is brother and nephew wearing dresses which is what she keeps doubling down on in the comments. The lilac stuff seems like it was a veneer and she expected to whip up a Reddit outrage mob over a seven year old wearing a dress.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA for refusing to pick up my ex’s stepdaughter

quote:

I (37F) have one child with my ex-husband, Matt (38M), Madison (16F). Every summer, she goes away to a sleep away camp for all of July and half of August. This year, Matt's stepdaughter, Jenna (14F), decided she wants to go away to camp as well, and as far as I'm concerned, Madison is fine with that.

Matt's new wife is a couple months pregnant and is due in August, most likely before the camp is over, but she will most likely still be recovering as her pregnancy is apparently very difficult.

Matt asked if I can pick both Madison and Jenna up from camp in case of an emergency with the pregnancy or possibly the baby. Madison does not live with me due to an issue with my fiancé and her but I told him I can try to find a way to pick up Madison however Jenna is not my responsibility and would have to find her own way home. The camp is a couple hours away but nothing too far.

His wife called and said I was being selfish as she can't leave one child there while taking the other it's incredibly rude and shows I'm still bitter that he moved on. After that blantent disrespect I hung up and told Matt that he would have to pick up both girls s I'm not helping those people with any thing.

My daughter is refusing to talk to me and my mother says I’m being selfish however my fiancé said my feelings are justified so I’m conflicted

Chaser

quote:

He [fiancé] smokes weed in the apartment and is always inviting his friends over, she says that they make her uncomfortable but nothing has happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hey, what happened to your cool avatar? Cat eat it?